PDA

View Full Version : Antony Stokes, Kevin Doyle et al

finnpark
18/01/2007, 8:13 PM
Isn't ironic that the same week former Shels player Antony stokes made a multi million euro transfer in another country was the same week that Shels basically folded. They let their most talented player go for nothing (they may have got small compo). That alone says a lot about LOI Chairmen. They see someone flashing 10000 euro in front of them and they go weak at the knees.

Kevin Doyle's price tag is almost E10M. Cork had a value on him of E110000 2 years ago. How much did they get for Shane Long who is worth around E750000 now.

Same goes for Darlly Murphy

TheBoss
18/01/2007, 8:26 PM
In my view, a player is worth the amount of money the opposition is willing to pay. No player has a fixed transfer for me.

Dodge
18/01/2007, 11:09 PM
3 poor examples as the chairman had no say in their transfer fees.

A face
19/01/2007, 12:45 AM
Isn't ironic that the same week former Shels player Antony stokes made a multi million euro transfer in another country was the same week that Shels basically folded. They let their most talented player go for nothing (they may have got small compo). That alone says a lot about LOI Chairmen. They see someone flashing 10000 euro in front of them and they go weak at the knees.

Kevin Doyle's price tag is almost E10M. Cork had a value on him of E110000 2 years ago. How much did they get for Shane Long who is worth around E750000 now.

Same goes for Darlly Murphy

Ahh .... no they fawkin' didn't ..... are you winding here man or what? Fair enough if you dont situation from that time but that most definitely was not the value Cork had on Doyle, or Long which is actually even worse.

A face
19/01/2007, 12:51 AM
There is actually strong argument for centrally managed contracts after this seasons clubs fiasco, i completely agree its not ideal, Shels folding after paying out money that was far above the actual value of the players first day. They invested and poured money into the team for a few years and never got a chance to even capitalise on some off it. Dont talk to me about Citys players right now.

Centrally Managed Contracts is the way to go imo.

bigmac
19/01/2007, 9:15 AM
Same goes for Daryl Murphy

How so? Waterford got a fair price for him, and it's only this season that he's starting to make a bit of an impact. The same can be said about any player who matures and improves a lot - how much did Arsenal pay for Nicolas Anelka originally? Incidentally, despite interest from teams in England, Daryl went and signed a new contract with Waterford, thus guaranteeing the club a transfer fee rather than leaving for nothing. He deserves a lot of credit for this, and the club then used the money to pay off an outstanding debt.

The real sad thing about the current transfers is players leaving Shels (and the league) for much less than what was offered not too long ago.

pete
19/01/2007, 10:18 AM
If you don't have the money to keep the players then what are you going to do as in Shels case. Its easy to say need to get good prices but thats not easy to do.

Take an example:
Reading have made 1-2 bids for Alan Bennet who is in the last year of his contract. I believe we have refused them but how long can you hold out when Reading are talking about him in the media & Kevin Doyle is speaking to Bennet himself. Do you accept a price less than you wanted or wait for a season & lose for nothing?

OneRedArmy
19/01/2007, 12:35 PM
For every Doyle, Long or Stokes I can give you 5 players who went nowhere "across the water", some of whom went for reasonable amounts of money.

Eg Derry getting 100k sterling for Darren Kelly (and getting him back on a free).

jebus
19/01/2007, 1:11 PM
As someone has already said, a player's transer value is based on what outside clubs are willing to pay for them. If Reading decide a Eircom League player is worth peanuts and no other club comes in to offer a higher bid, then that players transfer value is peanuts. And no amount of Eircom League chest thumping will change that

gustavo
19/01/2007, 1:15 PM
Its not his value if the club dont accept the offer.

jebus
19/01/2007, 1:39 PM

Then why do EL clubs accept these offers? If they don't like the fact that English Premier and Championship sides don't rate the Eircom League than tell them to **** off back to Norway with their peanuts

A face
19/01/2007, 6:35 PM
As someone has already said, a player's transer value is based on what outside clubs are willing to pay for them. If Reading decide a Eircom League player is worth peanuts and no other club comes in to offer a higher bid, then that players transfer value is peanuts. And no amount of Eircom League chest thumping will change that

Come off the stage will ya !!

finnpark
20/01/2007, 2:53 PM
For every Doyle, Long or Stokes I can give you 5 players who went nowhere "across the water", some of whom went for reasonable amounts of money.

Eg Derry getting 100k sterling for Darren Kelly (and getting him back on a free).

That is an unfair example. He was signed by Roddy Collins who was betting on the opposition teams to win.

finnpark
20/01/2007, 2:54 PM
BTW Long's value will have shot up to over E1m after today's performance. He looks the most dangerous player

osarusan
21/01/2007, 2:23 AM
As someone has already said, a player's transer value is based on what outside clubs are willing to pay for them.
Not really though, as this depends on who is buying and selling. I can think of a few transfers, Carrick for example, where the fee was generally considered to be much higher than ability would suggest. But there is no absolute way to determine a player's fee (as far as I know).

Again, not really. It may be that the player's current club over-estimate his value.

Then why do EL clubs accept these offers?

See below for my opinion.

Come off the stage will ya !!

A well thought out response.

I think Jebus over-simplifies, but the basic point is right. Eircom league fans and clubs always complain about English (and recently Scottish) clubs coming over and taking our players for "peanuts" but the fact is that Eircom League teams allow them to do so.

Naturally any club wants to get the cheapest price possible, and English and Scottish clubs manage to do so time and time again.....can we really blame them?

Eaicom League teams can refuse,but more often than not, they don't. Whether this is because of a need for money, or a lack of appreciation of the player's quality, or some other reason, I don't know. Certainly foreign clubs can be accused of opportunism, but in this case, it is really just good business.

MariborKev
21/01/2007, 10:12 AM
Eaicom League teams can refuse,but more often than not, they don't. Whether this is because of a need for money, or a lack of appreciation of the player's quality, or some other reason, I don't know. Certainly foreign clubs can be accused of opportunism, but in this case, it is really just good business.

Anyone who knows anything about the day to day running of eL clubs and ongoing perilous financial state of all of them would recognise that clubs are rarely in a position to turn down the offers made by foreign clubs.

People may scream that we are letting these players go for a pittance, but nearly every League club is a poor season away from financial meltdown. Until that ceases to be the case, the clubs will continue to sell for the current fees

A face
21/01/2007, 4:17 PM
A well thought out response.

Sometimes you just know that a response simply wouldn't be worth the effort, so i responded accordingly.

jebus
21/01/2007, 6:33 PM
Sometimes you just know that a response simply wouldn't be worth the effort, so i responded accordingly.

I'll take that as a compliment since you thought I was worth responding to so :)