PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone here lived in Paris?

Troy.McClure
17/01/2007, 7:46 PM
Hi guys,

At the start of next April Id like to move over to Paris for about a year, just for the hell of it basically.

Im trying to find out some basic stuff and number 1 on the priority is getting a place to live. Idealy it would be a 1 bed appartment in the city for less than €700pm although I dont know how possible this is.

Has any one experience of renting in France? If so I'd love to have a few words of advice. I was in Strasburg for a few months before but had friends sort things for me before I came over.

Ta.

Drumcondra Red
17/01/2007, 9:57 PM
Look at yer man just waltzing back in here...

Paris, eh??? Good enough place as any for a **** up I suppose!!!

onenilgameover
21/01/2007, 10:18 AM
sent you a pm troy...

jebus
22/01/2007, 7:03 PM
Haven't lived in Paris but I lived in France for a few months. Generally speaking rent was more affordable, food was cheaper and better, alcohol even more so, the people were all friendly (bar a few down near Royan) and it's a great place to live! The downsides are finding a decent paid job and that since I was never in Paris all my points about France might be the complete opposite of what the capital city is like

The Legend
22/01/2007, 11:05 PM
If you're going to move somewhere for the hell of it, try Amsterdam!!!

crc
23/01/2007, 1:18 AM
Lived in Paris for a year, 2002/3. I actually discovered Foot.ie while I was there!
I totally concur with jebus about the cheap and good food and alcohol. Going on a raging bender in Paris is very fookin expensive, but house parties are cheap and very popular (for that reason I imagine). Don't know what else to say really. If you're looking at about €700 per month you shouldn't have too much hassle finding somewhere. Paree is definately cheaper than Dublin or London for rent, but probably not as cheap as Strasbourg (or Ottawa FWIW!)
If you're going in April and looking for something to do (particularly if you don't yet know that many people) go to the Pont des Arts at about 8 or 9pm with a bottle of wine and try latching on to some group (you'll definately pass at least a couple of English-speaking groups) - go for the group with the most drunk American exchange student chicks!

If you've got any other specific questions send me a PM.

Magicme
23/01/2007, 8:27 AM
Am sooo jealous. I want a house in the South of France and an apartment in Paris. Hopefully the dream is no only 9 years away!

jebus
23/01/2007, 11:17 AM
Am sooo jealous. I want a house in the South of France and an apartment in Paris. Hopefully the dream is no only 9 years away!

If the dream does come through make sure you have fluent French when heading 'down south', they can very ignorant to people who have broken French and some will refuse to speak English to you. And for God's sake (and this goes for Troy McClure too) make sure you let people in shops and restaurants know that you are Irish and NOT English. They will instantly assume you are English if speaking English and will treat you with disdain, but they tell them you are Irish and watch how their attitude towards you changes! :)

Forgot to say to Troy what crc said, beer in nightclubs starts at 8euro a bottle, so make sure you are well tanked before heading out. Shouldn't be a problem as most clubs stay open til 6AM at least, and most French people don't go to them til about 2 or 3 anyway

Docboy
23/01/2007, 1:48 PM
Just back from a lovely week in Paris, the girlfriend lived there for two years and this was my third time back with her. Previously only been for the Green Invasion.

A lovely city with a lively,diverse ex-pat community though I hope you know how to drink properly cos them peoples can down it. Not sure on the apartment renting, you might be better sorting it out when you get there.

Make sure to hit Stolly's bar on a Friday.

Troy.McClure
31/01/2007, 7:18 PM
Thanks guys, sorry I havent been so regular here to reply back. Hopefully things will work out, but man is rent expensive over there!