PDA

View Full Version : European Cup

Shed End John
28/11/2002, 3:49 PM
Anyone else think we're, potentially at least, looking at the strongest quater-final line-up in the entire history of the European Cup. If things go according to plan, we're looking at a last eight line-up of:
Real Madrid
AC Milan
Inter Milan
Barcelona
Juventus
Arsenal
Valencia, and
Manchester United.

It's certainly as strong a line-up as there's been in the last couple of decades. Who'll win it outright? For me, it's gotta be Real beating AC Milan 2-1 to win their 10th title.

Murphy Out Now!!!

pete
28/11/2002, 4:37 PM
I actually think its one of the poorest 2nd group stage lineups in recent years as most of the groups seem to be foregone conclusions already so thats probably why the 1/4 finals look like they going to be full of big clubs.

I wouldn't be surprised if the italians came back & won it - they have 3 very strong sides & their style of play (defending in depth away from home) is more suited to knockout football (go for win in every game) than group stages.

Shed End John
28/11/2002, 4:44 PM
Originally posted by pete
I wouldn't be surprised if the italians came back & won it - they have 3 very strong sides & their style of play (defending in depth away from home) is more suited to knockout football (go for win in every game) than group stages.

Could well happen. That said, if every team plays to their absolute best, I think there'll be no stopping Real.

Murphy Out Now!!!

Schumi
28/11/2002, 4:45 PM
I have to say that I think that Valencia or my other team JUVE will win it.

fosterdollar
28/11/2002, 4:55 PM
AC MILAN for the cup :cool: :)

fosterdollar
28/11/2002, 4:56 PM
Originally posted by Magoo
AC MILAN for the cup :cool: :)

they've got the best strip colours anyway ;)

The Money Man
28/11/2002, 9:59 PM
Originally posted by Shed End John

If things go according to plan, we're looking at a last eight line-up of:
Real Madrid
AC Milan
Inter Milan
Barcelona
Juventus
Arsenal
Valencia, and
Manchester United.

Interesting that only three countries are represented in the above list. The quality of German club football would appear to be on the wain. I wonder how this will impact in future on the quality of their national sides. Its true that some of the bigger names in German football have often plied their trade in Italy in particular, but the core of their national squads have traditionally been domestially based. Germany had a facile route to this years WC final - will it be their last appearance for some time??

fosterdollar
29/11/2002, 11:04 AM
Originally posted by The Money Man

Interesting that only three countries are represented in the above list .... I wonder how this will impact in future on the quality of their national sides.

At the same time clubs representing a mational league in the QC doesn't necessarily give a true reflection of the league's standard. After all, the FA Premier**** is absolutely CRAP at the moment

Éanna
29/11/2002, 11:44 AM
AC Milan or Real will win it IMO. I´d guess at Valencia and/or Depor making the semis too

crc
29/11/2002, 2:12 PM
Originally posted by The Money Man
The quality of German club football would appear to be on the wain. I wonder how this will impact in future on the quality of their national sides.
...wasn't there a German side in last year's CL final?? Those QF line-ups haven't been decided - or have you forgotten the point of playing the matches? There are two German sides in the 2nd Group Stage and No French teams [except Arsenal]!!

eoinh
29/11/2002, 2:39 PM
Originally posted by Shed End John

Real Madrid
AC Milan
Inter Milan
Barcelona
Juventus
Arsenal
Valencia, and
Manchester United.

Yeah, a good line up alright. I cant see Man Utd or Juve win it. Anybody else yes. We're supposed to see the cream of the crop in this competition but Oirish Tv keep showing us bloody Basle.

Funny, the uefa cup is now a non-entity. The teams left in it arnt exactly awe-inspiring. A real Madrid V AC MIlan final would be great.

The Money Man
29/11/2002, 6:35 PM
Originally posted by crc

Those QF line-ups haven't been decided - or have you forgotten the point of playing the matches? There are two German sides in the 2nd Group Stage and No French teams [except Arsenal]!!

We are all perfectly aware of the fact that the second phase has only commenced. I think that the word used to describe what we're at here is speculation. Its fun really - you should join in.

crc
30/11/2002, 5:59 PM
OK, how about...

Inter Milan
Barcelona
Arsenal
Ajax
AC Milan
Real Madrid
Man Utd.
Juventus

... and what about a Milan derby for the Final?

Éanna
02/12/2002, 1:09 PM
I think it´s a damning indictment of how the big clubs have taken over that there are only 3 countries (England, Italy & Spain) who´s teams have any real chance of winning the thing :rolleyes:

Real ale Madrid
02/12/2002, 2:35 PM
Arsenal v AC Milan Final
Could be Arsenal's year. I think the strength and dept is quite good actually and it's the teams who are on form after the X-mas break will have the best chance. Don't write off teams like Newcastle or Roma yet Remember Leeds lost 4-0 to Barca a few years ago and came back to reach the semi--finals. Remember Leverkusen last year Hammered by Arsenal but still went on to reach the final so could be a few surprises yet.

Éanna
02/12/2002, 2:44 PM
I think Arsenal´s defence is too weak to be honest. They have an excellent midfield and one good striker, but thats it. They´re not strong enough yet

Real ale Madrid
02/12/2002, 2:49 PM
Have to disagree with ya there Eanna, Cambell is an excellent defender and the Arsenal defense is better than the defence that Man utd(Scum) had when they won the cL

colster
02/12/2002, 3:17 PM
As much as I hate to admit it I reckon Arsenal will win it.
I think they're midfield is the best in Europe.
They have the best striker. Their defence will be a lot stronger when Keown gets back.
And they seem to have sorted out the goalkeeper.

Éanna
02/12/2002, 5:19 PM
Originally posted by Real ale Madrid
Man utd(Scum) had when they won the cL
why are man utd scum :confused:

The Money Man
03/12/2002, 12:16 AM
Originally posted by colster
As much as I hate to admit it I reckon Arsenal will win it.

Just like that, it pains me to say it but at times they look so fluid that they're simply awesome. They've had a bad patch and come through it. If they manage to go the rest of the season without another serious poor streak, they could win the Champions League. Its a big ask however to go six months without a dip in form.

SÓC
03/12/2002, 4:21 PM
Just for the sake of taking a bit of a risk

Deportivo are still IMO a quality team who could well go all the way even tho' not many people seem to be giving them a chance this year, I'd say you could get some decent odds on them.

I'd love to see a Barca .v. Real final tho'. Where is the final being played this year?

Éanna
03/12/2002, 4:54 PM
Originally posted by SÓCcfc
I'd love to see a Barca .v. Real final tho'. Where is the final being played this year?
So would I, but Barca aren´t anywhere near good enough. I think the final is in Old Trafford

The Money Man
03/12/2002, 10:51 PM
Originally posted by SÓCcfc

Deportivo are still IMO a quality team who could well go all the way even tho' not many people seem to be giving them a chance this year

I personally don't think Depor will win it but at 20-1 they're better value than either Barca or Real.

Éanna
04/12/2002, 5:09 PM
I think Depor have a chance. Valeron is just coming back from injury now, and for them to have qualified out of a tough group in the first stage without (arguably) their best player was a great achievement.

The Money Man
04/12/2002, 9:20 PM
Originally posted by Éanna
I think Depor have a chance. Valeron is just coming back from injury now, and for them to have qualified out of a tough group in the first stage without (arguably) their best player was a great achievement.

Well at 20-1, are they worth a punt? They may well be!

Shed End John
05/12/2002, 10:15 AM
Originally posted by Éanna
So would I, but Barca aren´t anywhere near good enough. I think the final is in Old Trafford

Bang on, Éanna, this years final is in Old Trafford.
Agree totally that Barca aren't good enough, damn lucky is what they've been so far. Besides, after Reals easy win over them in last seasons semi it's odds on that a similar result would transire again.
To crc, Ajax with such a young side will have a job winning the Dutch League, never mind progressing at Valencias expense. A Milan derby WOULD be an absolutely cracking final, though. Btw, still fancy Real to win number 10.

Murphy Out Now!!!

TommyT
10/12/2002, 9:13 PM
I'd hardly describe one season as evidence of that. I think Milan will win it, even though I hate the *******s(yup it's the colours)

Shed End John
11/12/2002, 11:24 AM
Originally posted by TommyT
I think Milan will win it, even though I hate the *******s(yup it's the colours)

And why exactly are they *******s?:rolleyes: :confused:

Murhy Out Now!!!