PDA

View Full Version : Reading sniffing around Alan Bennett now.

Pages : [1] 2

Tenderloins
17/01/2007, 8:37 AM
I see Reading are after Alan Bennett. Cork Supposedly want 450k.

Terry
17/01/2007, 8:58 AM
A mate who is residing in cork at the moment, said that they are saying down there that they are getting €300 grand for him.

rebs23
17/01/2007, 9:04 AM
Absolutely brilliant player. Would make it anywhere. Will be a huge loss.

pete
17/01/2007, 10:10 AM
A mate who is residing in cork at the moment, said that they are saying down there that they are getting €300 grand for him.

Thats 300 sterling.

I think they offered 100k so far, can't remember if euro or sterling.

Reading are a Premiership club now so should be realistic.

Dodge
17/01/2007, 10:22 AM
100k for league's top scorer.

300k for slightly above average centre half.

And reading should be realistic?

pete
17/01/2007, 10:35 AM

And reading should be realistic?

Jason Byrne only went fot that because of Shels financial situation. Sure in the summer he was worth 3 times that.

Reading are a Premiership side so stands that they should pay more especially considering how we were exploited previously.

OneRedArmy
17/01/2007, 10:39 AM
Reading are a Premiership side so stands that they should pay more especially considering how we were exploited previously.They being a Premiership club may indicate they CAN afford to pay more.

The players value depends on how good he is. In Bennetts case, if they offered 200k (sterling or euro) I'd bite their hand off.

pete
17/01/2007, 10:42 AM
The players value depends on how good he is. In Bennetts case, if they offered 200k (sterling or euro) I'd bite their hand off.

200k euro would not be enough to replace him as he has developed very good partnership with Dan Murray. Winning the Setanta Cup could bring in almost 200k.

dcfcsteve
17/01/2007, 10:51 AM
200k euro would not be enough to replace him as he has developed very good partnership with Dan Murray. Winning the Setanta Cup could bring in almost 200k.

I doubt the difference between Cork winning the Setanta this year or not is Alan Bennett !

drinkfeckarse
17/01/2007, 10:59 AM
I don't think it's unreasonable for Cork to look for £450k. He is a decent player who Reading obviously feel can maybe offer them something.

You are always the ones going on about EL clubs putting an end to stupid transfer fees by putting realistic price tags on their players.

Do you think Reading would get a centre half who they felt might offer them something from the Championship or League 1 for £450k? Not a chance. If they're not prepared to pay it then they can go and get someone from the lower leagues for £1-2m.

razor
17/01/2007, 11:02 AM

And reading should be realistic?Come on Dodge, give a little more, a most excellent centre half, you're being Cork negative again.
Apart from the boys ability I think Reading owe us a few bob anyway, don't you?

OneRedArmy
17/01/2007, 11:17 AM
200k euro would not be enough to replace him as he has developed very good partnership with Dan Murray. Winning the Setanta Cup could bring in almost 200k.Its about 8 weeks wages.

Are your new investors on-board yet?

GavinZac
17/01/2007, 11:39 AM
League's top sorer goes for 100k. What makes you think you'll get more than that for a "decent" defender?

a) he's younger
b) he's not "decent", he's one of the best in the league
c) our club is not falling apart at the seams.

500,000 plus 20% sell on claus + a friendly with garaunteed appearances for doyle, benno and long.

Its about 8 weeks wages.

Are your new investors on-board yet?
yes.

I doubt the difference between Cork winning the Setanta this year or not is Alan Bennett !

our reasonable success over the last few years was built on the devine-horgan-murray-bennett-murphy axis giving us one of the most watertight (and goal-scoring!) defences in the country. losing 2, or potentially 3 of the back four would be a disaster.

Dodge
17/01/2007, 11:55 AM
I don't think he's that good.

I hope you get a fortune from it but English couples don't pay over theodds for our players

GavinZac
17/01/2007, 12:21 PM
I don't think he's that good.

I hope you get a fortune from it but English couples don't pay over theodds for our players

it comes down to finding a meeting point between reading's valuation of the player, and our own valuation of the player.

if reading were willing to pay 1million for leroy lita, and susequently find doyle to be worth more than five times that, what makes you think they would not be willing to up a bid to HALF the cost of lita when the reward could potentially be just as good as doyler

our own valuation takes into account
his vital importance to keeping the back line together
the potential for financial security which means we dont have to sell him
the potential for a good season
the potential of other star players getting sick of losing our best players
and the potential that giving in cheap again could harm future transfer fees

the keyword if you havent guessed yet is "potential", and reading must now realise the potential gain they could make from this transfer.

SÓC
17/01/2007, 12:41 PM
Amazed that people dont rate Benno.

We've had the best defence in the league for the last two season. There is a reason for that like.

On all our European travels opposition fans and Irish people living in the cities who come along to the games usualy ask about Benno before any other player

bigmac
17/01/2007, 1:20 PM

What would Cork accept for him? I reckon 450K stg is over the top but clearly 100 is fairly low. What middle ground would Cork be prepared to accept?

**edit**
comparisons with Doyle are way off the mark here btw, strikers almost invariably go for more than defenders, so it's a bit much saying that Bennett could have the same impact as Doyle.

GavinZac
17/01/2007, 1:24 PM
What would Cork accept for him? I reckon 450K stg is over the top but clearly 100 is fairly low. What middle ground would Cork be prepared to accept?

i think a friendly would sway the deal a fair bit - with the new stand up, an 8000 capacity crowd at on average €20 a ticket plus merchandising etc could rake in the club €200,000. who knows, RTE could show some interest and throw some money at it, which would make getting sponsors for it easier.

Dodge
17/01/2007, 1:28 PM
RTE better ****ing not show any interest ina friendly with Reading.

GavinZac
17/01/2007, 1:33 PM

don't blame RTE, blame their target audience. at that point doyle, long and benno would probably be internationals at that point anyway with Reading's fan-****ing-tastic 3 month training scheme :rolleyes:

drinkfeckarse
17/01/2007, 2:16 PM
I reckon 450K stg is over the top

I find that interesting. Why do you think it's over the top? Ask yourself this..do you think Bennnett is good enough to get a game foe i.e. a Championship team or League 1 team? If the answer is yes then ask yourself would a Championship or League 1 team sell their possibly their best defender for £450k?

I think Cork are being reasonable.

People forget that the standard in Irelands top league is on a par with a lot of these teams now so we should stop selling our best players for a song.

pete
17/01/2007, 2:56 PM
If a Premiership team want Bennet then 500k is reasonable value. Reading would not be signing for the youth team.

Its been a long time since a Premiership team have been interested in an eL player in his 20s.

NY Hoop
17/01/2007, 3:13 PM
Players from the leagues in Sweden and Denmark go to england for around the £1m mark and we have proven that we are on a par with them on the pitch anyway.

The english clubs can well afford it but there's always the scenario of "standing in the players way". IMO no player should be allowed to leave for less than 6 figures anyway.

KOH

dancinpants
17/01/2007, 3:20 PM
I agree with NY Hoop and the Cork lads. And to touch on something Ny Hoop mentioned about the Swedish leagues - Luton Shelton (Who? - Jamaican International apparently) signed for Sheffield Utd from Helsingborgs for 2 million sterling. I'm not saying we should be looking at 7 figure sums at the moment but 300k - 450k is far from unrealistic IMO for players that would be of a similar standard to whats playing in Scandinavian leagues.

paul_oshea
17/01/2007, 3:26 PM

be happy with what you get for gods sake, better than getting nothing. :rolleyes:

Peadar
17/01/2007, 3:30 PM
how do you do that eyes to heaven smiley?

Besides clicking on it from the list to the right of the message pane, you can type rolleyes enclosed in a pair of these :

OneRedArmy
17/01/2007, 3:55 PM
be happy with what you get for gods sake, better than getting nothing. how do you do that eyes to heaven smiley?Nonsense. How does a friendly with an English club help building sustainable growth in Irish domestic football?

Our national broadcaster collects (ridiculously high) license fees from us to help it produce programmes in the national interest.

Showing foreign football isn't in the national interest.

No problem if TV3 or any other privately funded station do it.

micls
17/01/2007, 4:16 PM
Double post

micls
17/01/2007, 4:18 PM
http://corkcityfc.ie/forums/index.php?showtopic=14629&st=360

Article bout Roy a few posts down.

I know its the sun but apparently HUll bid E375k for Roy but BL said no. Hes standing firm on this and hopefully will do the same for benno

Soper
17/01/2007, 4:22 PM
375k euros or stg?

micls
17/01/2007, 4:24 PM
Sorry euros

Soper
17/01/2007, 4:29 PM
It is good to see Lennox holding out.Shame Shels had to make a semi mockery of the league by selling Byrne on the cheap.

Sheridan
17/01/2007, 4:39 PM
If he's good enough for the Premiership (and he's a fine defender, the most improved player in the league over the past two years) he's worth 500k.

Tonight's Herald quotes Rico thus: "Our chairman is a selling chairman and this should not be a selling club." I assume a "not" has been omitted...

A face
17/01/2007, 6:03 PM

Completely agreed on this one. RTÉ have a lot to do to justify the licence fee and them abusing the position they are in. Showing this friendly would be a push too far over the edge. Where is Paul Stokes when you need him !! :rolleyes:

A face
17/01/2007, 6:04 PM
If he's good enough for the Premiership (and he's a fine defender, the most improved player in the league over the past two years) he's worth 500k.

Tonight's Herald quotes Rico thus: "Our chairman is a selling chairman and this should not be a selling club." I assume a "not" has been omitted...

Its the Herald .... it probably deliberate.

ramsfan
17/01/2007, 7:53 PM
just heard about bennett he will be a huge loss great player and real footballer gives it his all
what is happening with the league it is like the british are like women in a roches sale grabbing anybody thats available

bigmac
18/01/2007, 8:59 AM
I find that interesting. Why do you think it's over the top? Ask yourself this..do you think Bennnett is good enough to get a game foe i.e. a Championship team or League 1 team? If the answer is yes then ask yourself would a Championship or League 1 team sell their possibly their best defender for £450k?

There's a big difference between getting a game and being the best defender. From Reading's point of view it's a gamble and so the question is how much they are willing to risk and what return will they get? Wherever you put the EL in comparison with the league structure in England (I would suggest around League 1), the fact is that Reading view Bennett as untested at this level.

As far as prices go, if you look around the League 1 transfers, there are plenty of deals less than 100K.

I hope Cork hold out for a good deal, but I would be extremely surprised if Reading came anywhere near £450K. Incidentally, Irish Times today suggests that he would be allowed go for €350K - imo that would be a good deal for Cork.

charliesboots
18/01/2007, 9:20 AM
As far as prices go, if you look around the League 1 transfers, there are plenty of deals less than 100K.

Maybe between League 1 clubs but how many players go from a League 1 club to a Premiership club for less than a 100k, I'd say you'll be doing well to find any examples.

razor
18/01/2007, 10:25 AM
The best thing that could happen from Citys perspective is I guess if a few other clubs express some interest.
You can't beat a good bidding war.
I know Allardyce & Harry Redknapp were very impressed with what they saw against Red Star.

pete
18/01/2007, 10:41 AM
Maybe between League 1 clubs but how many players go from a League 1 club to a Premiership club for less than a 100k, I'd say you'll be doing well to find any examples.

I'd say you'd be doing well to find any examples of League One players going to the Premiership these days.

I think Reading have already bid 1m sterling for a Colchester defender so only bidding 10% of that for Bennet is an insult. He is old enough that won't be bought for the under age sides so he would be competing for 4th central defender to start with. 350k is a reasonable fee to expect from a Premiership side as he'd be worth 3 times that after playing 1 game.

pete
18/01/2007, 2:13 PM
Read somewhere that Reading were preparing at 225k euro bid.

Also rumour doing the rounds now that we have rejected a 2nd bid.

It was a Colchester defender that Reading bid 1m for but his club looking for 2m sterling eventhough only 6 months left in his contract.

Poor Student
18/01/2007, 2:31 PM
It was a Colchester defender that Reading bid 1m for but his club looking for 2m sterling eventhough only 6 months left in his contract.

It's that kind of nonsense that is encouraging English clubs to penny pinch around Ireland.

DmanDmythDledge
19/01/2007, 5:20 PM
Apart from the boys ability I think Reading owe us a few bob anyway, don't you?
No, it was your fault Doyle had a clause.

If he's good enough for the Premiership he should be worth double that.

pete
19/01/2007, 5:42 PM
If he's good enough for the Premiership he should be worth double that.

My hunch is that a deal will be done on this within the next week. I get the impression Reading have given up on Colchester defender due to the price but would pay 250-300k sterling for Bennet which I feel we would accept.

pete
20/01/2007, 2:48 PM
Sonko taken off injured. Looks crocked. AFAIK only 3 central defenders left in the Reading squad & not usre if the reserves any good. I think Coppell will be calling Turners Cross tomorrow...

pete
20/01/2007, 3:04 PM
From the Mirror...

Lennox won't bow down to British (http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p148/xtreme_rebel/brian_irishmirror-1.jpg)

:cool:

brine3
21/01/2007, 11:24 AM
I would agree that players signed from the Scandinavian leagues are often of similar quality to the best LOI players, yet the Scandinavian leagues seem to be able to get way more money for their players. Their clubs tend to be financially more sound so aren't as desperate for money.

Markus Rosenberg went to Ajax for 5 million euro, and he's far inferior to Kevin Doyle.

A face
21/01/2007, 11:36 AM
Lads, its nothing new that English clubs rip us off and they use alot of dirty tactics into the bargin. Its not like we have all copped on to this recently. As long as i have been following LOI football it was clearly obvious as to what was happening, English clubs have been raping LOI and all the while with a smug smile on their faces.

What needs to be different now is that Irish clubs need to start demanding the actual value of players. Not to bow down to what the media (who for the most part illustrate that they haven't got an idea each and every single week) think, or what advisors think or what scouts and English clubs think, the scouts and clubs should be the LAST thing that LOI clubs listen to as they are on the other end of the transaction. I mean in all fairness, anything they say should be taken with a pinch of salt.

If LOI clubs invest in players development then there is NOTHING wrong with expecting a proper fee for a player. In fact alarm bells should be going off all over the place, code red meltdown type scenario if basic development costs aren't being covered.

neutrino
23/01/2007, 8:11 AM
Amazed that people dont rate Benno.

We've had the best defence in the league for the last two season. There is a reason for that like.

On all our European travels opposition fans and Irish people living in the cities who come along to the games usualy ask about Benno before any other player

well anyone not rating him all support other clubs. sour grapes ? of course. if bennet went for a million people would still say something negative. plenty of naysayers on this forum. fair play to cork is what i say. if they've got players good enough to be sold on for good money and it benefits the club going forward then it shows they've been doing something right. developing players and selling em on has worked in other countries for leagues and clubs, so why not our league.

in terms of scandinavian players being sold for bigger money. thats simply down to them having a developed product. scandinvaian leagues have kicked on in the past 20 years and they have a mature league. ours is just starting out again. EL cud learn much from scandinavian leagues.
anyway players from these regions originally would have not been picked up or signed for very little money. our league is just at the stage of getting noticed. if the EL continues to develop then transfer fees in 3-5-10 years will be alot better. if cork or any EL club were qualifying regularly for champions league or uefa group stages players prices would rocket.

BrayUnknowns
23/01/2007, 8:34 AM
The Guardian says that Reading are understood to have offered about £200,000 for Cork City defender Alan Bennett yesterday