PDA

View Full Version : Official: Bennett signs for Reading

Pages : [1] 2

ccfcgirl
16/01/2007, 5:26 PM
There is strong talks at the moment that Alan Benneth is heading to Reading , big loss if he gose .

pete
16/01/2007, 6:29 PM
Any eL player given Premiership opportunity would jump at the chance.

Worst part of this story is its Reading again :(

A face
16/01/2007, 8:52 PM
I dont mind as long as we get decent money. There is talk of £300,000 which i think is not enough. £500,000 should be the minimum at this stage.

At least we have cover in that area of the park.

pete
17/01/2007, 9:53 AM
I think £300,000 + appearance, international cap clauses which is close to 500k euro is reasonable. Alan Bennet is good but such a figure would encourage better transfer fees in the future. Remember he only has 1 year of his contract left & 500k could be used to extend the contracts of our current best players & get a replacement in.

Dodge
17/01/2007, 10:00 AM
League's top sorer goes for 100k. What makes you think you'll get more than that for a "decent" defender?

GavinZac
17/01/2007, 11:30 AM
League's top sorer goes for 100k. What makes you think you'll get more than that for a "decent" defender?

a) he's younger
b) he's not "decent", he's one of the best in the league
c) our club is not falling apart at the seams.

500,000 plus 20% sell on claus + a friendly with garaunteed appearances for doyle, benno and long.

don ramo
17/01/2007, 12:05 PM
well all your good palyers are sold, time for lennox to sell up and take the money with him, greed.:mad:

but selling all your players isnt good for anyone how do you plan on replaceing them, everyone is leaving the coutry if there any good, off to scotland the premiership and championship, if the top clubs are selling the best the country has to offer whats going to happen to football here at our door.

doesnt matter how many players you sell and pre-mid season friendlys you get if you dont do god in the leauge what the hell will you have in three years, when all your players are gone and there are no more friendlys to fill your ground, cause we all know if your strugglin you wont be fillling your ground as often as ye are now.

we have the same problem down here we get a good player and the manager has such a big ego half our squad is gone, we havent bought anyone not a single person, that is waht will happen if city arent carefull

GavinZac
17/01/2007, 12:24 PM
well all your good palyers are sold, time for lennox to sell up and take the money with him, greed.:mad:

what the **** are you on about, in fairness...

superfrank
17/01/2007, 12:30 PM
You're being a bit unrealistic lads if you thin you can demand 500k for an el player, especially if he has one year left on his contract.

Peadar
17/01/2007, 12:40 PM

Alan Bennett is wanted by a Premiership club.

Dodge
17/01/2007, 12:54 PM
I know. And they have offered 100K for him

GavinZac
17/01/2007, 12:55 PM
I know. And they have offered 100K for him

and they'll be told no, the same way southend were.

pete
17/01/2007, 12:57 PM
Its easy for other eL clubs to be so flippant as no clubs looking to sign their players as not good enough.

Hecko
17/01/2007, 1:35 PM
You never know - Reading might think they owe us one...or two

higgins
17/01/2007, 1:49 PM
Why do people post transfer fees in pounds sterling ?

I can't stand that!!

pete
17/01/2007, 2:00 PM
Why do people post transfer fees in pounds sterling ?

I can't stand that!!

I think its because UK clubs make thier bids in sterling.

I does annoy me the way the irish media report foreign transfers in sterling expecting everyone to know the exchange rate.

shed_ender
17/01/2007, 4:11 PM
100K?For Benno? No way should they accept that. Lennox is still chairman of the club until this "mystery benefactor" comes in and as long as he is he should try to get as high a fee as possible for any player we sell.
I am confident he will:he already did with Wolves when they offered us paeanuts for Roy O' D.
Hopefully he will tell Reading to come back with a more realistic offer.

pete
17/01/2007, 5:59 PM
100K?For Benno? No way should they accept that.

We have rejected that already.

paudie
22/01/2007, 4:48 PM
I think the echo tonight says City have rejected a 200k (stg or euro?) bid

A face
22/01/2007, 11:26 PM
I think the echo tonight says City have rejected a 200k (stg or euro?) bid

City should tell them not to come back again unless the offer is X amount ...... and X amount should be £500,000 imo.

endabob1
23/01/2007, 9:34 AM
http://football.guardian.co.uk/News_Story/0,,1996443,00.html

Bid of £200k up from a £100k which was turned down last week according to the guardian.

Dricky
23/01/2007, 9:40 AM
I would hope that we get a decent fee for him should he go. £500k is not to be sneezed at by any Irish club, that's the great pity, we are still a bargin basement for English clubs and will be for some time to come, that is the unfourtunate thing but it is better than being a feeder club as was the case a few years ago.

paudie
23/01/2007, 12:56 PM
City should tell them not to come back again unless the offer is X amount ...... and X amount should be £500,000 imo.

£200,000 would be a lot to turn down, knowing Alan can talk to Reading from 1 July and can go for nothing on 31/12/07.

I see your point though. When you see Ashley Young being sold for £6.5m (?) £200,000 is a massive bargain.

razor
23/01/2007, 1:09 PM
I'd start discussions at £300K and try and push for £500K.

Dricky
23/01/2007, 1:14 PM
I'd start discussions at £300K and try and push for £500K.

And that's just for his shin pads..... I wonder would Brian O'C fit into his place should we sell him?

As reading seem desperate due to injuries I think it has made it a sellers market.

razor
23/01/2007, 2:16 PM
As reading seem desperate due to injuries I think it has made it a sellers market.not it seems for EL players, need to get a few more clubs interested and then start the bidding.

Ronnie
23/01/2007, 2:40 PM
Fair dues to City if they are financially strong enough to turn down 200k sterling. Only one or two clubs here could afford not to take that.

pete
23/01/2007, 3:04 PM
Fair dues to City if they are financially strong enough to turn down 200k sterling. Only one or two clubs here could afford not to take that.

I would not say we you financially sound just trying to hold back the tide. The more money we today will probably mean more money next time. The Kevin Doyle price set a very low marker so need to try & increase that.

A face
23/01/2007, 6:33 PM
I would not say we you financially sound just trying to hold back the tide. The more money we today will probably mean more money next time. The Kevin Doyle price set a very low marker so need to try & increase that.

No it wasn't, it was us getting stabbed in the back.

drinkfeckarse
24/01/2007, 7:42 AM
True A face but the board showed tremendous naivety regardless.

pete
24/01/2007, 10:26 AM
No it wasn't, it was us getting stabbed in the back.

Time to move on though & rejecting money just because its from Reading would be stupid.

Risteard
24/01/2007, 1:48 PM
All parties seem to be making sounds that he'll go for a decent fee.
Last bid was 305,000 yoyos and was turned down.
Reading have said they'll get their man and Rico has said it will be sorted in the next 48 hours.
Hè'd hardly say that if they were going to keep turning down Reading.

pete
24/01/2007, 3:24 PM
I don't often use the "holding player back" line but Benno has been with the club sicne a teenager so he has put in his time & deserves a cut at the big time subject to us getting reasonable transfer fee. There would be a lot of pride in a player fully developed by CCFC (as opposed to spending last 2 years here) playing in the Premiership. I think it would be good PR for the club when attracting talented players...

paudie
24/01/2007, 5:07 PM
Still a week to go to the deadline.

If City have turned down £200K (€305k)hopefully we'll get at least £300k (roughly €440,000) by then.

I think we'd have to be happy enough with that.

As I said above though when Ashley Yoong is being sold for £8m Stg it's still a huge bargain for Reading, especially when they know from Doyle and Long that City players are well able for their first team.

pete
25/01/2007, 11:30 AM
As I said above though when Ashley Yoong is being sold for £8m Stg it's still a huge bargain for Reading, especially when they know from Doyle and Long that City players are well able for their first team.

Looks like deal will be done in the coming days. Figures of €300-370k mentioned. Hopefully the later. Its hard not to look at the UK prices but any deal done will be an eL record & with sell on, appearance & international cap add-ons could get to €500k easily enough.

I believe Benno has been with the club since he was 16 so good luck to him.

Fair_play_boy
26/01/2007, 9:06 PM
I don't often use the "holding player back" line but Benno has been with the club sicne a teenager so he has put in his time & deserves a cut at the big time subject to us getting reasonable transfer fee. There would be a lot of pride in a player fully developed by CCFC (as opposed to spending last 2 years here) playing in the Premiership. I think it would be good PR for the club when attracting talented players...Spot on there on both points Pete. I think the club is strong enough at the moment not to blink on this. I think it is right to sell Benno. He does deserve a shot at premiership football. I am confident that he will impress over there. I know it is sad to see him go, but the points you make above say it all.

Schumi
26/01/2007, 9:35 PM
He's gone for £250k apparently. http://www.getreading.co.uk/sport/readingfc/2007/2007262/fee_finally_agreed_for_bennett

pete
26/01/2007, 10:43 PM
He's gone for £250k apparently. http://www.getreading.co.uk/sport/readingfc/2007/2007262/fee_finally_agreed_for_bennett

An eL record by long way if correct. I am sure will be some reasonable clauses too as I would suspect that we haggling over these. We all believe eL players worth more but its still a step in the right direction.

I think he made his debut in the Inter Toto Cup home leg in 2001 so Benno a true product of the CCFC under age teams.

GavinZac
27/01/2007, 7:38 AM
he's come a long way since he was a defensive midfielder and scored an own goal from the half way line. one of our best performers in recent years and it'll be a big loss. i agree with pete, i think he's worth more but i suppose every increase is a step toward proper respect. it'll be bizarre if himself, doyler and long are on the park together at some point for reading.

Fair_play_boy
27/01/2007, 9:43 AM
Losing a player of Benno's stature will probably expose Dan Murray's lack of pace cruelly. We need a big replacement pronto. Hopefully Rico has thought of that and has an option or two in mind. I wonder who though? And who will come at left back?
I wish the best for the guy.

GavinZac
27/01/2007, 10:58 AM
Losing a player of Benno's stature will probably expose Dan Murray's lack of pace cruelly. We need a big replacement pronto. Hopefully Rico has thought of that and has an option or two in mind. I wonder who though? And who will come at left back?
I wish the best for the guy.

was benno that pacy? :confused: rather than exposing a lack of pace, i think this could see dan going back into his shell football-wise. murray last season was very positive taking the ball out of defence, playing some excellent passes and scoring goals. partially that must have been down to a good understanding with benno

pete
27/01/2007, 11:05 AM
was benno that pacy? :confused: rather than exposing a lack of pace, i think this could see dan going back into his shell football-wise. murray last season was very positive taking the ball out of defence, playing some excellent passes and scoring goals. partially that must have been down to a good understanding with benno

A fair accessment. Central defence is all about partnerships. I think O'Callaghan could do a job but would take time to gel.

Risteard
27/01/2007, 4:03 PM
I agree aswell.
It is familiarity and coaching.
Just like Bennett will take time to settle in, Brian O'Callaghan should gel after a month or two or three.
We're going to have to pick/sign a back 4 and stick to it. Give them time.
Horgan may be even better as left back but i'm not sure Lordan is the player i thought he'd be when he took the intertoto by storm.

harry crumb
27/01/2007, 8:16 PM
I dont think Lordan ever took anything by storm and when he does play he is a weak link.

BohsFans
28/01/2007, 12:50 AM
Cork have been given an unbelievable chance to get their own back on Reading. :eek:
Think of the transfer fees of Doyle and Long and the comments of your chairman and manager since they left.
Set the benchmark, Bennett is the best centre half in the country. €600,000+ is fair I think.
I know he's in the last year of his contract, but Reading wont sign him at the end of the year, they need him now.

Take 'em to the cleaners!;)

A face
28/01/2007, 1:07 AM
I dont think Lordan ever took anything by storm and when he does play he is a weak link.

Yes he did, in the Intertoto he was very good. You couldn't fault him to be fair. Since then he hasn't have a real look in to be fair so you cant judge but given his past performance i think he'll do well.

I think we are all agreed that we'll need someone in and Lordan is in with a serious shout now. I hope he steps up to the task, but i wouldn't fair that much as we know what he is capable of already.

pete
29/01/2007, 4:08 PM
City definitely seem to be playing hardball with Bennet. Possible 3rd bid at 380k euro + 75k for 10 appearances. City holding out for 400k it would seem which is admirable given we will get nothing in November.

Reading are so used to buying players on the cheap I think Coppell doesn't know how to spend money & I don't mean just irish players. Its 500k sterling per place in the Premiership this year & i think will get 30m for last place next year. :eek:

Shelsman
29/01/2007, 4:49 PM
I'd love to see an eL player go straight to a premiership team and get a game, I'd also love to see City get a decent price for him, but they are playing a very dangerous game. Fair play for holding out for more, but they should make sure they don't end up with egg on their face if Reading pull out and then sign him for nothing later this year. They might also end up ruining the only chance for a dream move for Bennet -it's not as though there are 3 or 4 clubs bidding for him and it's not as if he is 18 or 19.

Settle for 250k now with a sell on clause and appearances bonus, the next time an English club comes calling make it 300k, then 400k after that etc etc.

Poor Student
29/01/2007, 5:47 PM
it would seem which is admirable given we will get nothing in November.

I'm highly impressed by Cork's resolve. I think I'd have folded by now, it's a dangerous game that seems to be unsettling Bennett. Would Cork be as determined if it were another club?

micls
29/01/2007, 8:23 PM
Deal is done http://corkcityfc.ie/home.htm