PDA

View Full Version : Citynet preview of Shels game

Éanna
27/11/2002, 6:16 PM
Cork City's dwindling hopes for a European qualification will be further put to test against Shelbourne at Turner's Cross on Friday night (7.45pm). Pressure on manager Liam Murphy from fans and media continues to mount, amidst this week's PR effort from chairman Brian Lennox to back his manager.
Lennox issued a statement to the Evening Echo this morning, saying that he believes Murphy to be "the most underestimated manager" in the eircom League, and adds that he intends to honour the remaining year on Murphy's contract. The Echo's Noel Spillane, too, comes out in support for the troubled boss. Lennox also gave an interview to Cork Campus Radio this afternoon, reiterating his intent to stand by Murphy, claiming that fans are mistaking Murphy's quiet manner for arrogance.
The chairman is also expected to answer questions at Thursday night's fans forum at PJ Turner's. Liam Murphy, however, has reportedly pulled out of the Star organised event, which couldn't have come at a worse time for the manager.
The outcome of Friday night's game is sure to be a crucial in deciding Murphy's future, and a crowd of four to five thousand is expected at Turner's Cross. Unfortunately, a rearranged Munster rugby game at Musgrave Park is sure to add to traffic congestion around the ground. Munster's Celtic League quarter-final starts at 7.35pm, just ten minutes before City's game, and is expected to draw two to three thousand supporters.
Details
Referee: Paul McKeon (Dublin)
Assistant 1: Dave McKeon (Dublin)
Assistant 2: Tony Ryan (Limerick)
4th Official: Anthony Buttimer (Cork)

Éanna
28/11/2002, 9:22 AM
Originally posted by Conor74
My preview goes like this

"If this game goes to form, City will get battered".
I have a real fear that we´re going to get absolutely destroyed. Knowing our luck, we´ll pull off some poxy win and gunther will be crowing about it for weeks :rolleyes: If we lose this one, I think we can say goodbye to the UEFA cup next season. :(

dalo
28/11/2002, 11:25 AM
Originally posted by Éanna

I have a real fear that we´re going to get absolutely destroyed. Knowing our luck, we´ll pull off some poxy win and gunther will be crowing about it for weeks :rolleyes: If we lose this one, I think we can say goodbye to the UEFA cup next season. :(

Luck is one thing we don't have. i never thought I would hear someone say winning is a bad thing:rolleyes: personally i 'd be chuffed if we won:o

Gary
28/11/2002, 11:51 AM
Ill be surprised if the game goes ahead. if it rains again like it did for the last few days, id say itll be called off.

If not, i go for 1-1.

Éanna
28/11/2002, 1:17 PM
Originally posted by dalo
Luck is one thing we don't have. i never thought I would hear someone say winning is a bad thing:rolleyes: personally i 'd be chuffed if we won:o
I´d obviously be happy if we won, I just think a defeat in this game wouldn´t be as bad a result as other defeats we have had interms of it´s long/medium-term implications- i.e. murphy under more pressure. I´ll never want city to lose, there´s just some occasions on which I wouldn´t find it as upsetting as others. And as for luck- we mightn´t have it, but murphy sure does: how the hell else is he still in the job?!