PDA

View Full Version : Talent drain 'worse than ever'

BohDiddley
15/01/2007, 6:20 PM
This (http://tinyurl.com/ychspy)also from the S. Tribune.
The intro gives the gist, i.e. the usual kneejerk negativity when it comes to Irish football.

'Stop us if you've heard this one, but not such a wonderful week for domestic soccer.'
Of course, it completely fails to take on board the point of view that more players' careers routed via the league might just be a good trend, as expressed by Seán Connor (http://www.bohemian-fc.com/home/media/transfers/)the other day.

monkey magic
15/01/2007, 8:46 PM
to be honest, i thought that article was fair, accurate and bluntly honest. the author's looked at both sides, and in particular at whats going with shels, and weighed them fairly

stevieontour
15/01/2007, 10:46 PM
I can't see anything wrong with the article

Gareth
15/01/2007, 10:56 PM
I have had the strange job along with a colleague of removing player after player from the Playing list on the Shels website. Its a very strange feeling as you remove stallworths of teh past seasons, Cahill, Byrne, Byrne, Ryan, Dillon from this season etc etc, and despite the huge drain of players, nothing from the emmense talent of players is coming in moneywise. I would personally prefer these players to sign for Cork, Bohs, Derry etc, because it would mean we have the players in the league, but instead they are going to teams abroad. Its a very strange time to be a Shels fan.

Billy Lord
15/01/2007, 11:05 PM
As Oscar Wilde once (nearly) said: to lose one player may be regarded as misfortune; to lose loads looks like carelesness.
Will the last player leaving the Eircom League, etc.

The Sheliban
15/01/2007, 11:21 PM
I have had the strange job along with a colleague of removing player after player from the Playing list on the Shels website. Its a very strange feeling as you remove stallworths of teh past seasons, Cahill, Byrne, Byrne, Ryan, Dillon from this season etc etc, and despite the huge drain of players, nothing from the emmense talent of players is coming in moneywise. I would personally prefer these players to sign for Cork, Bohs, Derry etc, because it would mean we have the players in the league, but instead they are going to teams abroad. Its a very strange time to be a Shels fan.

God, Gareth, I'm dreading coming up against Ollie and Stewie this season.

paudie
16/01/2007, 7:51 AM
You could take a positive outlook and say that the league is obviously doing something right by producing fit, skillful players that clubs in (let's face it) bigger, richer leagues want to have on their staff.

Dodge
16/01/2007, 8:21 AM
I see it as a postive. The players aren't leaving to pay for (no offence) Hereford or Darlington. All who left have joined SPL or Championship and most are of an age where they be considered finished articles (in keegan's case a veteran). it shows the players here are of high enough standerd to be good enough for challenging for promotion to the holy grail for Oirish football fans of the premiership.

Good luck to all of them, and here's to the next batch in our league...

charliesboots
16/01/2007, 8:31 AM
It may also encourage players who are being released by Premiership clubs to come home and play here rather than join a League I or League II side.

Being realistic, these lads want a chance to get back into the Premiership and if they see that if they perform well in the eL they can earn that move than it may helpful to clubs who are competing with lower league English clubs for youngsters.

blackholesun
16/01/2007, 8:55 AM
I see it as a positive, several high earners being off loaded, money coming into the league, gaps for young hungry players to exploit. Alot of those who have gone are nothing special. Only real losses are Jason Byrne, Danny Murphy, David Forde and maybe Dillon.

BHS

wws
16/01/2007, 9:09 AM
JUST ON HIS ARTICLE........

"In a couple of months time the league could be without arguably its best keeper (David Forde),EH MEH its top defenders (Danny Murphy YUP, Seán Dillon YUP - THATS TWO - 2!), and the cream of the attacking talent (Stephen Ward 1 GOAL LAST TERM??!? "CREAM"????, George O'Callaghan OH COME ON - AN AWKWARD GANGLY MIDFIELDER TYPE - HASNT PLAYED IN THE LEAGUE FOR AN AGE DUE TO CONTRACTUAL DISPUTES - CERTAINLY NOT AN ATTACKING TALENT, Jason Byrne YUP).

elroy
16/01/2007, 9:17 AM
I doubt we can expect much of a run in europe from shels this year?!?!?

wws
16/01/2007, 9:20 AM
I doubt we can expect much of a run in europe from shels this year?!?!?

If delaney was serious about what he calls "domestic soccer"
he'd look into their euro license and award it to pats

he hasnt said one word

pete
16/01/2007, 10:06 AM
I agree that Byrne, O'Callaghan & Ward moves to good Championship sides is relatively positive although cash values should be higher.

I think it is disappointing however that so many players have left this close season as will take a few years to replace some of the quality.

Not so sure if the SPL moves are good ones although does give the players some xposure on irish tv through Setanta. However even these moves are better than the old days of players moving to the lower english leagues.

Will be interesting to see how they all do. If they are successful hopefully eL clubs will be able to demand higher fees next time around.

charliesboots
16/01/2007, 10:12 AM
JUST ON HIS ARTICLE........

"In a couple of months time the league could be without arguably its best keeper (David Forde),EH MEH its top defenders (Danny Murphy YUP, Seán Dillon YUP - THATS TWO - 2!), and the cream of the attacking talent (Stephen Ward 1 GOAL LAST TERM??!? "CREAM"????, George O'Callaghan OH COME ON - AN AWKWARD GANGLY MIDFIELDER TYPE - HASNT PLAYED IN THE LEAGUE FOR AN AGE DUE TO CONTRACTUAL DISPUTES - CERTAINLY NOT AN ATTACKING TALENT, Jason Byrne YUP).

Keegan

dcfcsteve
16/01/2007, 10:18 AM
Is a broadly good sign, as it recognises the talent within our league. Typical of the media to only see bad in it though.

However - the key to it is whether it is a raid or a conveyor belt. It's clear that the Kevin Doyle and Shane Long signings have made clubs take more attention of the EL (just like in the 80's when an Irish band would do well in Britain, and then Dublin would be crawling with A&R men for the next few months). An unusually high number of players have gone in this particular transfer window. Unless our clubs are continuing to produce sufficiently good replacements to take their place on the conveyor belt (which would tend to require Academies), then this will be a one-off raid, or one in a series of one-off raids, that will leave the league impoverished from a talent point of view.

In summary - a good development, so long as other talent is being fed onto the conveyor belt. A bad move if it's reducing the overall quality of player in our league. And it's the youth development capabilities within Ireland that will determine which one it is.

JC_GUFC
16/01/2007, 10:23 AM
If delaney was serious about what he calls "domestic soccer"
he'd look into their euro license and award it to pats

he hasnt said one word

But where will Pat's play their home Euro games? Tolka?!

Dodge
16/01/2007, 10:27 AM
Or Dalymount. or ravenhill. Doesn't matter

wws
16/01/2007, 10:38 AM
But where will Pat's play their home Euro games? Tolka?!

Mels Park Athlone.

CB

Keego is the exception.
Keego didn't move to Scotland - Scotland moved to Keego.

TheBoss
16/01/2007, 11:56 AM
I think it shows how much the league is improving, The players are moving for about 6 figure sums rather the than the 5 figure sums. They are moving to clubs are are somewhat stable in the leagues and look to be in for promotion in the Championship for example. Most teams in the Championship aim for the Premier League, so they will be more players that played in the EL that will be playing in the Premier League as a result. As said before young Irish players that are released by Premier League Clubs now know that EL is a scouting place for leagues like Scotland and the Championship and bring better players to the EL.

Peadar
16/01/2007, 4:27 PM
Talk of Reading making a bid for Alan Bennett. :(

dcfcsteve
17/01/2007, 10:05 AM
There's alweays plenty of voices on this site saying the 'exodus' is a good thing or a bad thing in isolation.

Bottom line is that we can't see it as either in isolation. The key is the quality of talent coming through to replace these players. Money is only a minor considration here (particularly in the immediate term).

If we have sufficient good young players coming through to take the place of our departing 'cream', then the exodus will have been a good thing for the league - bringing in much needed cash, and allowing further good young players to develop through the ranks. If, however, we don't have the quality of players coming through/available to take their place, then the playing abilities of our teams will have decreased and the league will be weaker over all. Regardless of money, that is not a good thing.

I don't think we have the development structures in place to develop real quality young players continually at the rate at which our best are currently being lured overseas, so on that basis the exodus can only be viewed as a bad thing for lessening the strength and quality of our league. If, however, it does lead to more disillusioned youngsters returning to football in Ireland in the hope of gettin a second break in England/Scotland, then that would go some way (but not all) towards making up for the quality deficit created.