PDA

View Full Version : RTE confirm Mahon staying

Poor Student
14/01/2007, 2:23 PM
http://www.rte.ie/sport/2007/0114/eircomleague.html?rss

Mahon turns down opportunity at Tolka Park
Sunday, 14 January 2007 2:40

UCD have held onto their manager Pete Mahon despite the chance to take the reigns at Tolka Park

UCD have announced that manager Pete Mahon has decided to turn down the opportunity to manage Shelbourne and remain as the UCD manager for the new Eircom League of Ireland season.

Mahon met with the UCD committee members last Thursday to discuss his future wuth the club.

'I was considering the Shelbourne opportunity,' he said. 'And after some time to think it over I have decided not to take up the move to Tolka Park for personal reasons.'

UCD's Dick Shakespeare expresssed his joy at retaining the side's manager.

'We are delighted that Pete has decided to stay with us. We have known Pete for the last three years and have tremendous respect for what he has achieved with limited resources.

'We are about to enter a new era for the club and have a new plan which will ensure that UCD can consistently compete at the highest level.

'We want Pete and the rest of our management and coaching team to play a key part in fulfilling our ambitions and implementing the plan.

'It's all a new and exciting initiative which I think will result in UCD becoming a much more competitive participant in the Premier League as well as becoming a leader in the development and education of younger players.'

------------------------------------------------------------------

Anyne reckon there's any real substance to Shakespeare comments about those plans?

pineapple stu
14/01/2007, 2:34 PM
Possibly. Maybe to do with Pete's rumoured new position?

Poor Student
14/01/2007, 2:39 PM
Possibly. Maybe to do with Pete's rumoured new position?

Maybe. It's hardly a plan to move full time is it?:confused: I know that doesn't seem likely but I wonder what he's on about.

pineapple stu
14/01/2007, 3:00 PM
Eh, no.

CollegeTillIDie
14/01/2007, 3:07 PM
Emmet Malone confirmed the story an hour earlier in an interview on Newstalk 106 . Great news for UCD!
Poor Student , yes there is substance to Shakespeare's statement. Tony Sheridan hinted at that to me in the Montrose the night of our last game of the 2006 season back in November.

pineapple stu
14/01/2007, 3:26 PM
Well, pre-season training begins tomorrow, so if it's about the team, it's going to have to be known soon enough!

CollegeTillIDie
14/01/2007, 3:57 PM
Some of our scholarship players are effectively full time as towards the end of Theo's tenure he was taking Daytime training sessions with them. I believe that still goes on today.

Schumi
14/01/2007, 7:51 PM
Excellent news. I was down the country for the weekend so I missed all the uncertainty and heard the news on the radio this afternoon.

Burnsie
14/01/2007, 10:20 PM
terrific news