PDA

View Full Version : Limerick 37

Pages : [1] 2

sniffa
14/01/2007, 11:50 AM
The new name for Limerick is Limerick 37. This is to commomerate the first year Limerick had a senior side, 1937.

GuisaSaigon
14/01/2007, 12:22 PM
if its true it's a crap name. not as bad as wexford youths but still crap.

superfrank
14/01/2007, 12:26 PM
I like it. Breaks the whole monotonous City, Town, United, Rovers cycle all clubs follow.

A face
14/01/2007, 1:00 PM
The new name for Limerick is Limerick 37. This is to commomerate the first year Limerick had a senior side, 1937.

If its true then i think its good.

osarusan
14/01/2007, 1:01 PM
Surely Limerick 1937 would be better. With that name, people would assume that was when the club was founded, which, while not true, is pretty relevant. It is easy to see a historical footballing link.

Limerick 37? Not good when the meaning has to be explained to you.

BohsFans
14/01/2007, 1:03 PM
already been talkin about it here: http://foot.ie/showthread.php?t=50435&page=3 since yesterday.

DmanDmythDledge
14/01/2007, 10:33 PM
I like it. Breaks the whole monotonous City, Town, United, Rovers cycle all clubs follow.
Yeah I agree. I think they should have called it 1937 Limerick/Limerick 1937 though.

Aaron
14/01/2007, 10:44 PM
Is there any info on them, where they will play, players, manager, chairman, board etc...

Eoingull
14/01/2007, 10:46 PM
Yeah...great name.

4tothefloor
14/01/2007, 11:19 PM
Surely Limerick 1937 would be better. With that name, people would assume that was when the club was founded, which, while not true, is pretty relevant. It is easy to see a historical footballing link.

Limerick 37? Not good when the meaning has to be explained to you.
Agree, if they're going to put the date in, they should go with the full date - Limerick 1937. Limerick 37 looks and sounds awful in my opinion .I think OldKeeper is the man to PM about it....

Sheridan
14/01/2007, 11:44 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Limerick_37 <--- Expand, correct, improve as necessary.

I'm glad they've looked beyond the usual Anglophile clichés (Utd, City, Town etc), although 1937 Limerick would be preferable (Limerick 37 sounds like a rugby score.)

I'd personally go for something even more adventurous like Limerick Millennial, or Solidarity Limerick for the Polish vote.

Pauro 76
15/01/2007, 7:52 AM
Doesnt sound quite right does it. Obviously a nod to the likes of 1860 Munich, Schalke 04 and so on. Maybe 1937 Limerick would have sounded better.

Magicme
15/01/2007, 8:01 AM
I think its a terrible name. How they gonna sell that to the barstoolers? Marketing of it will be difficult. I know the likes of Utd, Town, City etc have been over used but the general pleb on the street can identify with them more easily. I think they should have done a Kildare and gone County to try bring a bit of more support in.

Anyways, whatever about the name, good luck to them and all who sail in her.

LFC in Exile
15/01/2007, 8:47 AM
You're all just jealous because we have a cool name and you don't :)

I don't get the 1937 or 37 thing. I mean you'd still have to explain 1937 anyway. I just can't wait for Aertel's usual mess-up with Limerick 37 Cobh Ramblers 0 ;)

osarusan
15/01/2007, 8:59 AM
I don't get the 1937 or 37 thing. I mean you'd still have to explain 1937 anyway. I just can't wait for Aertel's usual mess-up with Limerick 37 Cobh Ramblers 0 ;)

I think it is pretty obvious that 1937 has historical significance, and the first guess would be that it was the year the club founded. But since in this small country most people who will ever be interested in football will already be fairly familiar with this situation, they should be able to guess what is going on.

And it will be more like Limerick 37 2 Cobh Ramblers 0.

Lim till i die
15/01/2007, 9:02 AM
I think its a terrible name. How they gonna sell that to the barstoolers? Marketing of it will be difficult. I know the likes of Utd, Town, City etc have been over used but the general pleb on the street can identify with them more easily. I think they should have done a Kildare and gone County to try bring a bit of more support in.

Nah, County is far too twee for my liking :)

And as you mentioned town, city et al are all over used. (Not to mention the fact that we're the fourth biggest city in the league, you don't see me going around referring to Monaghan village ;) )

Plus for various tedious legal reasons many monikers are unusable (United would have probably been ideal given our new circumstances)

The argument between 1937 and 37 reminds me of the row over which end of an egg to crack

As LFIE said, I reckon you're all just jealous cos we've a supercool European name :p

Lim till i die
15/01/2007, 9:04 AM
And it will be more like Limerick 37 2 Cobh Ramblers 0.

Even more likely given recent history would be Limerick37 0 Cobh Ramblers 2;) :o

osarusan
15/01/2007, 9:05 AM
Even more likely given recent history would be Limerick37 0 Cobh Ramblers 2;) :o

Still a handy 368-goal margin of victory.:D

Magicme
15/01/2007, 9:35 AM
Nah, County is far too twee for my liking :)

And as you mentioned town, city et al are all over used. (Not to mention the fact that we're the fourth biggest city in the league, you don't see me going around referring to Monaghan village ;) )

Plus for various tedious legal reasons many monikers are unusable (United would have probably been ideal given our new circumstances)

The argument between 1937 and 37 reminds me of the row over which end of an egg to crack

As LFIE said, I reckon you're all just jealous cos we've a supercool European name :p

Not at all jealous.....just as always trying to think of the bums on seat marketing angle.

Lim till i die
15/01/2007, 9:43 AM
Not at all jealous.....just as always trying to think of the bums on seat marketing angle.

We don't have any seats so that's not really an issue for us :p

Besides you could call the team "F.C. Limerick Every one who comes to the game gets a tenner and three free drinks" and people still wouldn't follow us if we were crap.

Success on the pitch is what brings crowds in, not your name

BohsPartisan
15/01/2007, 10:20 AM
If it was just the name you could call yourselves Destiny's Child and people would show up expecting to see Beyonce running around in a pair of shorts!

Lim till i die
15/01/2007, 10:24 AM
If it was just the name you could call yourselves Destiny's Child and people would show up expecting to see Beyonce running around in a pair of shorts!

Would never work with our racist hardcore ;) :p

LFC in Exile
15/01/2007, 10:35 AM

I'd be a season ticket holder and wouldn't give a ****e about results. :)

Magicme
15/01/2007, 10:37 AM
We don't have any seats so that's not really an issue for us :p

Besides you could call the team "F.C. Limerick Every one who comes to the game gets a tenner and three free drinks" and people still wouldn't follow us if we were crap.

Success on the pitch is what brings crowds in, not your name

True but why stack the odds even more against yourselves with a name that might allienate some people

Lim till i die
15/01/2007, 10:44 AM
True but why stack the odds even more against yourselves with a name that might allienate some people

But who are you going to "alienate"

Maybe people who prefer the number 14 or 29 or 53....... :confused: :p

If anything I think it's a lot more attention grabbing with the proles than a regular old "United" or "City"

blackholesun
15/01/2007, 11:50 AM
I think its a good idea, some new and innovative thinking rather than same old, same old.

Best of luck 37!

BHS

hoops1
15/01/2007, 12:07 PM

Wrong all teams next year will be named after their average attendance
Limerick 37
UCD 33
Bray 50
Monaghan 7
Kilkenny 16
Bohs 200-250
Dundalk 350 are now Dundalk 349 after unforseen events

Jerry The Saint
15/01/2007, 12:43 PM
The first choice name was Britvic 55 but there were copyright issues.

milltown messer
15/01/2007, 1:16 PM
i wonder will a certain teletext service think that they've scored 37 goals in each game?:ball:

4tothefloor
15/01/2007, 1:30 PM
i wonder will a certain teletext service think that they've scored 37 goals in each game?:ball:
You're about a week late with that one

NY Hoop
15/01/2007, 1:52 PM

Agree. Thought it was weird at first but it is original.

Why wont Drew back this new lot and give up his threats of going to the High Court? Especially as it seems as though the Limerick fans will support Limerick 37?

Also FAO Limerick fans has anybody thought of approaching the IRFU about renting Thomond Park? Saw an artists impression of what it will look like when done and if Limerick had a premier division team there absolutely no doubt you would get crowds in the thousands.

While Jackman Park is an improvement on Rathbane only because the area doesnt resemble Fallujah it is still a dump and charging people in could be a problem given how easy it is to access the place. IMO Thomond could be a winner.

KOH

Lim till i die
15/01/2007, 2:58 PM
Also FAO Limerick fans has anybody thought of approaching the IRFU about renting Thomond Park? Saw an artists impression of what it will look like when done and if Limerick had a premier division team there absolutely no doubt you would get crowds in the thousands.

charging people in could be a problem given how easy it is to access the place. IMO Thomond could be a winner.

KOH

I'm inclined to agree with you :eek: If a couple of years down the line we were solid Premier Thomond would draw in the crowds. However if the plans for the Jacks come to fruition in the meantime (And lets face it they'd have to be moving along for us to be promoted in the first place) I'd happily stay there aswell though.

Not sure what you mean about easy access :confused:

Surrounded by houses on three sides. I suppose the residents could watch for free but it would be a brave man that would hop the train station wall these days

Rathbane was far easier to climb into if you're that way inclined and Pike didn't even have a perimiter wall :eek:

BohsPartisan
15/01/2007, 3:01 PM
Probably means proximity to the train station.

NY Hoop
15/01/2007, 3:27 PM
I'm inclined to agree with you :eek: If a couple of years down the line we were solid Premier Thomond would draw in the crowds. However if the plans for the Jacks come to fruition in the meantime (And lets face it they'd have to be moving along for us to be promoted in the first place) I'd happily stay there aswell though.

Not sure what you mean about easy access :confused:

Surrounded by houses on three sides. I suppose the residents could watch for free but it would be a brave man that would hop the train station wall these days

Rathbane was far easier to climb into if you're that way inclined and Pike didn't even have a perimiter wall

What plans for Jackman are there? By access I mean you could watch the match from the bus/train station.

While there might be plans for Jackman same as there are plans for Tallaght:eek: at least with Thomond you know they will become reality. You would have a superb ground there by EL standards. IMO well worth exploring at this relatively early stage.

KOH

Lim till i die
15/01/2007, 3:54 PM
What plans for Jackman are there? By access I mean you could watch the match from the bus/train station.

While there might be plans for Jackman same as there are plans for Tallaght:eek: at least with Thomond you know they will become reality. You would have a superb ground there by EL standards. IMO well worth exploring at this relatively early stage.

KOH

I think it's 10,000 capacity and in another nod to German clubs we're not going down the all seater route. Two stands with two terraces behind the goals.

Thomond would be nice but with the Junior crowd now onboard we're in a sort of similar situation to Cork City with Turners Cross and I'd say it's far more likely that the developing the Jacks road will be the one taken. I'd imagine it was one of the major selling points when getting the Juniors to sign up in the first place :ball:

Paddyfield
15/01/2007, 3:58 PM
Free the Limerick 37

Seriosly though, I like it. It's different

Lim till i die
15/01/2007, 4:03 PM
Free the Limerick 37

That was old when I was putting it in my sig this morning :p

Paddyfield
15/01/2007, 4:10 PM
That was old when I was putting it in my sig this morning :p

Oh no! Have you given up slagging Galway United/Conor H?

Lim till i die
15/01/2007, 4:23 PM
Oh no! Have you given up slagging Galway United/Conor H?

A response of such wit :rolleyes:

So, Anyway you like the name ya................

Ceirtlis
15/01/2007, 4:55 PM
You can look over the wall into Jackman Park from the bus station if your too scabby to pay in. I watched a bit of a game there once when i was waiting for a bus. The view was as good from up there as in the ground id say.

Lim till i die
15/01/2007, 4:57 PM
You can look over the wall into Jackman Park from the bus station if your too scabby to pay in. I watched a bit of a game there once when i was waiting for a bus. The view was as good from up there as in the ground id say.

Ya but your only gonna fit so any people up against that wall before the view gets obscured ;)

JC_GUFC
15/01/2007, 6:21 PM
Obviously a nod to the likes of 1860 Munich, Schalke 04 and so on.

It's a common misconception that Schalke 04 were founded in 1904 - in fact 0-4 was the result of their first match!

Sniffer
15/01/2007, 6:38 PM
Nice one the Lim lads, a cool and innovative name [by Irish standards] that already has people talking about the team.

Tazskool
15/01/2007, 7:58 PM
Is there an official website for Limerick 37 yet??

Paddyfield
15/01/2007, 9:12 PM
So, Anyway you like the name ya................

Def like the quirkiness of Limerick 37. They couldn't go down the road of calling the club Limerick United or Limerick City again.

When a previous regime took over at Galway United a few years ago, they considered changing the name of the club but met with massive opposition.

I actually liked the idea of the club changing it's name to Gaillimh Aointaithe (that's Irish for Galway United) but they settled for including the word Gaillimh in the new crest and retaining the name. :)

LFC in Exile
16/01/2007, 1:31 PM
It's a common misconception that Schalke 04 were founded in 1904 - in fact 0-4 was the result of their first match!

Really - because they were also formed in 1904. What a coincidence.

This is from the club website. No mention of a 0-4 defeat anywhere.:rolleyes:

On 4 May 1904 a group of 14 and 15-year-old boys founded a football club they called Westfalia Schalke. To gain admission to organised club competition, the club merged with a gymnastics club known as Turnverein 1877 Schalke eight years later. But in 1924 the footballers parted company with the gymnasts and adopted the name FC Schalke 04, changing the club colors from red and yellow to blue and white in the process.

By the way - they also wear blue and white. They have got to be our new German sister club. Our uber-right wing supporters will be more than happy. :)

bigmac
16/01/2007, 1:40 PM
Really - because they were also formed in 1904. What a coincidence.

This is from the club website. No mention of a 0-4 defeat anywhere.:rolleyes:

You got a bite JC! Reel him in quick!!

BohsPartisan
16/01/2007, 1:49 PM
By the way - they also wear blue and white. They have got to be our new German sister club. Our uber-right wing supporters will be more than happy. :)

Will Limerick37 definitely wear blue and white?

LFC in Exile
16/01/2007, 3:32 PM
Will Limerick37 definitely wear blue and white?

Yes we will.

Lim till i die
17/01/2007, 11:00 AM

I dunno, lot of left wing tradirion in Gelsenkirchen, might not go down too well ;) :)