PDA

View Full Version : Kevin Grogan

Lux Interior
13/01/2007, 8:31 PM
Who is he? Any good? Has apparently signed for us.

Den Perry
13/01/2007, 8:52 PM
My nephew played with him at UCD and has nothing but the highest of praise for him....In fact, last night his name came up and he was singing his praises again

He said he was gifted, really naturally talent and great finisher.Would havebeen a real hit in England but I believe he had injury problems

Where did ye sign him from? hadnt heard of him in a while

Lux Interior
13/01/2007, 8:55 PM
den - he turned out for St Pat's, according to our official website (www.glentoran.net), where I got the info from.

From what you say, he could be a decent catch.

Forza Glentoran
13/01/2007, 9:11 PM
Certainly sounds like a handy wee player. Really looking forward to seeing how he fares at the Oval. I presume he'll be in the squad next Saturday?

Sheridan
13/01/2007, 9:12 PM
Given that he hasn't been fit for about three years, I wouldn't get my hopes up.

Lux Interior
13/01/2007, 9:13 PM
Given that he hasn't been fit for about three years, I wouldn't get my hopes up.

Yup, true.

However, I'm keen to hear how he did for Pats last season.

Sheridan
13/01/2007, 9:15 PM
I don't think he played a single game.

Lux Interior
13/01/2007, 9:24 PM

:eek:

pineapple stu
13/01/2007, 10:05 PM
He came on as a sub against us in Belfield anyway. Remember it particularly because of who it was - Kev signed for us on loan from United and had two seasons, one of which was very good, the other of which was injury blighted.

Brief history (I'm assuming you know nothing here) - he was with Manchetster United and was part of the Ireland which won the European U-16 Championships in 1997 along with Joe Murphy, John O'Shea and a couple of others. He was tipped for big things, but he got an injury which affected his pelvis, I think, which meant he was seriously injury prone - not far off arthritic at this stage, I'd say. Kevin Moran advised him to move to UCD for two years to allow him to train in a part-time environment and hopefully get back to full fitness. He was so highly thought of that the first year, he was called back to United for a week and played a training game with a midfield of Grogan, Beckham, Keane and Giggs.

He left us to go back to England, was released by United, played a few reserve team games with Millwall before retiring due to injury, made a comeback with Bray a year or so later, retired shortly after through injury, made a comeback with Pat's a year or so later, retired shortly after through injury...get the picture?

Quality player, but won't be fit enough to make a major impression.

Forza Glentoran
13/01/2007, 11:14 PM
So, a wheelchair would appear to be the order of the day, I'd assume?

Dodge
14/01/2007, 1:54 AM
PLayed a few times as sub. Looked to have excellent touch but couldn't get fit.

charliesboots
15/01/2007, 10:43 AM
Story in his own words here - http://indigo.ie/~bvr/Kevin1.htm

Lux Interior
15/01/2007, 11:42 PM
Played tonight for the Glens in a specially-arranged game behind closed doors against Belfast intermediate side, Brantwood.

Played well - and scored - in a 3-1 win, coming through the match injury-free.

DmanDmythDledge
16/01/2007, 12:17 PM
I really hope this move goes well for him. He has so much talent.

BrayUnknowns
22/01/2007, 12:07 PM
Grogan is probably one of the most talented players ever to grace the EL, BUT and it's a big but, he has been blighted by injuries throughout his career. IF, and again it's a big if, he can get fit he will be an excellent signing for you, but i can't remember a period were he has been fit for 5 or 6 games in a row.