PDA

View Full Version : Backing for Brian Kerr...

Xlex
26/11/2002, 11:28 AM
Many of the former youth team players have spoken of the possibilty of Brian Kerr being the new Ireland manager... Robbie Keane has just added his voice to that of players such as John O'Shea, Stephen McPhail and Damian Duff...Kenny Cunningham has also added is voice, in a passive tone.. It's possible that Brian Kerr will be included in some capacity and that maybe as assistant manager, but it's good to see his former young guns coming through for him... It also may suggest that they have umost respect for him and that a squad under him could be the closest and most united in European football... It probably all depends on Roy's point of view but he might respect him...

pete
26/11/2002, 1:38 PM
Originally posted by Xlex
It probably all depends on Roy's point of view but he might respect him...

The media have been pushing that although hopefully the decision is made ignoring whatever opinions Mr. Keane has......

Shed End John
26/11/2002, 2:13 PM

Roy I reckon would play for Brian Kerr and would respect him. Kerr's achievements are second to none as are his credentials. Never mind the assisstant's job. Kerr for manager.

Murphy Out Now!!!

Éanna
26/11/2002, 2:39 PM
If thats the case the FAI are even more spineless than I first thought. Players should not have this kind of influence over the comings and goings of management IMO

Shed End John
26/11/2002, 2:51 PM
Originally posted by Éanna

Players should not have this kind of influence over the comings and goings of management IMO

I don't think they do. Fact is anyway, given that we have two VITAL qualifiers on the way, the calls for Keane's return are growing louder and louder, both inside and outside the Irish squad.

Murphy Out Now!!!

Xlex
26/11/2002, 3:06 PM
I don't think they do. Fact is anyway, given that we have two VITAL qualifiers on the way, the calls for Keane's return are growing louder and louder, both inside and outside the Irish squad.

True but it never should have a bearing on selection, you can't pick a Roy friendly manager if he's not involved in the ireland squad... IMO pick the manager who is deamed the best quality and let him decide... Call Roy up and if he doesn't come **** him.... IMO if he came back he most defo couldn't as captain...

Shed End John
26/11/2002, 3:09 PM

IMO pick the manager who is deamed the best quality and let him decide...

As I've already said, that'll be Brian Kerr then!

Murphy Out Now!!!

colster
26/11/2002, 3:53 PM
I reckon Brian Kerr is definitely the man for the job.
In terms of ability and achievement he is head and shoulders above anyone else mentioned for the job.
I think that they should combine the role of manager and technical director.
Kerr would be ideal for this role.
He should be given carte blanche to structure the Irish game.

Shed End John
26/11/2002, 3:59 PM
Originally posted by colster
He should be given carte blanche to structure the Irish game.

That's the last thing the FAI would ever want or allow. They only want to keep everything amongst their cosy little clique and stay as unaccountable as possible.

Murphy Out Now!!!

Badweather Fan
26/11/2002, 5:17 PM

Players should not have this kind of influence over the comings and goings of management IMO ??? Of course they should. :confused: :confused: :confused:

The Legend
26/11/2002, 5:55 PM
Supposing they chose a MGR like Bryan Robson just for Keane's sake...

.. Keane would probably say "you know, i retire anyway, screw Ireland".

And then we would be left with a muppet for mgr.

IMO, They should pick the best man for the job, even if it was someone that didn't even pick up the phone to talk to Keane!

If Keane wants to come back, he should grovel to the new manager, not the other way around!

The Money Man
26/11/2002, 8:03 PM
Lets be pragmatic about this regardless of individual feelings about what happened in the past. The last two tournaments that we have qualified for have been in the US and Japan and both have been terrific in their own way. BUT for a change I'd like to watch us at a major tournament without having to trek half way around the World.

Priority no. 1 is qualification for Portugal and Germany. If that means that Mickey Mouse is manager and Daffy Duck is national captain then so be it. So if Brian Kerr has the backing of the players and has the necessary qualities - give him a job. If Roy Keane is the best player we have - pick him.

Forget the bickering about Saipan, forget trying to change whats already passed. Put the right man in the dug-out and the best eleven available on the pitch and lets start putting some results together.

patsh
26/11/2002, 8:54 PM
Players should not have this kind of influence over the comings and goings of management IMO
Exactly, Eanna......
It should be up to the supporters.......;)

The Money Man
26/11/2002, 9:09 PM
Originally posted by oddboy

Exactly, Eanna......
It should be up to the supporters.......;)

We'd kill each other making a decision. I think we open a poll though. It would definitely be well subscribed and the results would be interesting.

elroy
26/11/2002, 9:18 PM
Anyone hear that liam brady is now on this committee to appoint the new manager. He has been one of the more out spoken figures opposing roy keanes return to the team, while i dont actually agree with this at least it means we won't get some fool like bryan robson, just because hes a 'friend' of keane.
But brian kerr, as much as i would like to see him become manager, it would be great for the el and irish football in general, but tell me how many times in the last decade have the fai listened to what the fans want?/?????
Anyway heres hoping!

The Money Man
26/11/2002, 9:46 PM
Originally posted by elroy

how many times in the last decade have the fai listened to what the fans want?/?????

Do the fans want Brian Kerr? Let's have a poll! Not just a Brian Kerr or not Poll but a poll of the leading 6/7 contenders. I would suggest (not my choice but the names being thrown about)...

Joe Kinnear
Brian Kerr
Ray Houghton
Brian Robson
John Toshack
Dave O'Leary
Peter Reid
(The O'Herlihy, Dunphy, Giles, Chippy coalition party)

Éanna
27/11/2002, 10:16 AM
Originally posted by elroy
Anyone hear that liam brady is now on this committee to appoint the new manager. He has been one of the more out spoken figures opposing roy keanes return to the team, while i dont actually agree with this at least it means we won't get some fool like bryan robson, just because hes a 'friend' of keane.
But brian kerr, as much as i would like to see him become manager, it would be great for the el and irish football in general, but tell me how many times in the last decade have the fai listened to what the fans want?/?????
Anyway heres hoping!
good idea to bring brady in I think. the french brought platini in on it, and look where they are. brady´s probably one of the best/most successful Irish players of all time

The Money Man
27/11/2002, 1:53 PM

good idea to bring brady in I think. the french brought platini in on it, and look where they are. brady´s probably one of the best/most successful Irish players of all time

But Brady failed miserably in a management capacity at Celtic. If he can't do the job himself, why would we think that he is the best man to select somebody?

Éanna
27/11/2002, 5:20 PM
Originally posted by The Money Man
But Brady failed miserably in a management capacity at Celtic. If he can't do the job himself, why would we think that he is the best man to select somebody?
Difference in making him manager and giving him input into deciding a manager. Someone who´s played at the level he has will know what a good manager is, even if they weren´t able to do it themself.

patsh
27/11/2002, 6:58 PM
Brady was, imho, the best player we have ever produced....BUT
I would not like to see him on the panel as I believe he is a bitter little man. Reading his columns every week in the Trib, you really start to get the feeling he has a serious chip on his shoulder (excuse the pun..:D !)
He comes across very much as a Dunphy character to me. He, even for someone who has played in Italy, a very Anglo-centric view of soccer (though he may just be writing for a particular audience).
Ex-Irish players would know the score with the FAI, and this would be a bad thing, as I feel it would be a factor in picking someone.
I would feel that a panel of non-Irish players, who would not know too much about the Irish setup, and so pick a candidate purely on what they feel an international manager should be capable of.

georgie_vest
27/11/2002, 11:49 PM
Brian Kerr for the Ireland job???What a load of garbage.What the hell has he done to even merit CONSIDERATION?So he's had success with the kids at underage level.....BIG DEAL!Furthermore in case people haven't noticed......he hasn't had very much success over the last 3 years.
Would people kindly remove their eircom league blinkers...please!
We need a manager that has managed at the highest level...a guy that has... the credentials to take us on from the mess McCarthy has left us in....and most certainly Kerr is not that man.If he's so good....why hasn't any club in England...or Europe....headhunted the guy?
The guy has never managed or even played at the highest level.What respect would the players have for him?NONE.....is my guess.Forget about what Duff,Robbie Keane etc say about Kerr.....they are asked a question. by the press....what are they supposed to say?he's crap?....we don't want him?
Look at Peter Taylor....he was unbeaten as the England Under 21 manager.......and look at the mess that he made of Leicester....and he played the game professionally.....Kerr has neither managed or played professionally.Forget about the dead wood like Kerr,Reid,Aldridge,Houghton,Kinnear etc........this would be a disasterous and backward route to take.
We need a top manager with proven experience at the highest level.
Personally i would go for Gus Hiddink.....rumour has it....he has a clause in his PSV contract.SO get your finger out FAI.....and sound the man out!

Éanna
28/11/2002, 9:41 AM
Originally posted by georgie_vest
Personally i would go for Gus Hiddink.....rumour has it....he has a clause in his PSV contract.SO get your finger out FAI.....and sound the man out!
Hiddink would be a good candidate, but I dunno if the FAI would be willing to pay what a proven international manager wants. If we can get a top class manager in, great, if we don´t have the cash, Kerr would be a great alternative IMO

Real ale Madrid
28/11/2002, 10:04 AM
Lets be pragmatic about this regardless of individual feelings about what happened in the past. The last two tournaments that we have qualified for have been in the US and Japan and both have been terrific in their own way. BUT for a change I'd like to watch us at a major tournament without having to trek half way around the World.

Priority no. 1 is qualification for Portugal and Germany. If that means that Mickey Mouse is manager and Daffy Duck is national captain then so be it. So if Brian Kerr has the backing of the players and has the necessary qualities - give him a job. If Roy Keane is the best player we have - pick him.

Forget the bickering about Saipan, forget trying to change whats already passed. Put the right man in the dug-out and the best eleven available on the pitch and lets start putting some results together.

absolutely spot on.
Also the FAI better start taking thier heads out of thier arses and pick the manager soon. He should be in before x-mas. The new man needs time to look at players, the team has a lot of selection issues - back 4 etc.

Xlex
28/11/2002, 10:36 AM
Liam Brady has accepted an invitation onto the board of interviewers - He backed Kinnear and Kerr for the post shortly after the Mick McCarthy resignation... Besides the olé ole brigiade will buy anyone the majority of the team suggest...

...i suggested kerr to one such guy after Mc got sack and he didn't know Brian, however it was him who told me Robbie gave backing to some Brian fella... saying it sounded like he was the right guy...

pete
28/11/2002, 10:59 AM
I don't know if Keer would the best of all possible optiuons but he'd certainly be well ahead of all the muppets (Reid, Robson, Houghton, Bonner, Aldridge etc...) list by the bookies.

IMO Hiddink & South Korea over achieved during the world cup. Sure it was great for them to progress as far as they did but the Korean squad basically trained as a club team for at least the previous 6 months hench their amazing fitness & stamina. I'd be surprised if Hiddink left PSV for the Ireland job as well.

Better options would be someone like Troussier (spelling?) who managed Japan for the last few years as i don't think he working now & could put Kerr in as assistant to provide the local knowledge. If we don't go for an irish manager I hope we get a non-english/british foreign coach with no baggage for the media to undermine him.

fosterdollar
28/11/2002, 11:21 AM
i think i heard that the fai had made some sort of approach to Troussier :confused: not sure though

Xlex
28/11/2002, 11:21 AM
I'm not replying directly to Pete here, but I'm never suggesting Brian Kerr as being the best candidate, he's not but given the bookies choices I would also put him miles ahead of the rest... Failed managers cannot be considered... International managers have to be good coaches and I'd rather save a few bob with Brian rather than waste it on Robbo etc... if we're going to spend the readies we have to get the right man... Neither is this a Crowe issue, he deserves another chance but realistically i hope he is at least 5th choice and nobody will get a cap as a reserve team player in the third division...

Éanna
28/11/2002, 1:13 PM
I'd rather save a few bob with Brian rather than waste it on Robbo etc...
Ditto. Either give it to the best man we can get, or a guy who knows Irish football and te players.

Xlex
28/11/2002, 1:28 PM

I'd rather save a few bob with Liam rather than waste it on Robbo etc... :D :D

Éanna
28/11/2002, 1:52 PM
Do the fans want Brian Kerr? Let's have a poll! Not just a Brian Kerr or not Poll but a poll of the leading 6/7 contenders. I would suggest (not my choice but the names being thrown about)...

Joe Kinnear
Brian Kerr
Ray Houghton
Brian Robson
John Toshack
Dave O'Leary
Peter Reid
Ok, I´ll put up a poll. we had one before, but maybe the mood has changed.

Shed End John
28/11/2002, 2:49 PM

Joe Kinnear
Brian Kerr
Ray Houghton
Brian Robson
John Toshack
Dave O'Leary
Peter Reid

OK, here's my 2 cents:
Kinnear is an idiot massively lacking in ANY sort of personality- appointing Gunther would be better,
John Toshack has a long successful track record, but, also recently got himself another job,
Dave O'Leary has much too short a fuse and a crap temperament if past experience is anything to go by,
Peter Reid a brainless idiot,
the 'Coalition' enough said,
Ray Houghton no real experience OR credentials.
Which just leaves Brian Kerr. Leaving my eL blinkers aside, Kerr would stand head and shoulders above most guys currently managing for sheer ability to read the game, predict what will happen and be proactive about it.

Murphy Out Now!!!

The Money Man
28/11/2002, 8:59 PM
Originally posted by Shed End John

OK, here's my 2 cents:
Kinnear is an idiot massively lacking in ANY sort of personality- appointing Gunther would be better,

The personality thing may be accurate but the man is certainly not an idiot. He won the Premiership manager of the year with an awful club. And he did it he hard way - no millions spent, no opportunity to bring in big names, he had to make do with the cards he was dealt. He is a former irish internetional, so he knows first hand about the problems of dealing with the FAI. He is currently involved in club management in England so he knows what players are available. He's pragmatic and straight talking.

I'm not suggesting that Joe is head and shoulders the best candidate in the frame but he's no idiot. I personally wouldn't have a problem with him getting the job.

Ref
29/11/2002, 3:08 PM
The manager of the Republic of Ireland's underage teams, Brian Kerr, has today confirmed that he has applied for the vacant position of manager of the senior international team.

The Dubliner said he was keen on the opportunity from the moment the position became available, but there were issues he needed to consider before making a final decision.

Kerr is currently preparing for the World Under-20 Finals in the United Arab Emirates this coming March. This will be the ninth time he's brought an Irish underage team to either a European or World Championship Finals since 1998, and his management record is unparalleled in Irish sport.

from rte.ie

The Money Man
29/11/2002, 6:14 PM
Originally posted by Ref

This will be the ninth time he's brought an Irish underage team to either a European or World Championship Finals since 1998, and his management record is unparalleled in Irish sport.

from rte.ie

It is an incredible record and Kerr deserves every credit offered to him. I have travelled on a couple of occasions to watch his teams compete in major championship finals. I have never come away from these matches believing that there was an extra ounce of passion or effort to be extrapolated from the young guys in his charge. However, we do need to appreciate that the temperament, skill set and experience base to lead a senior side differs from that necessary to look after chaps just setting out on a footballing career path. Thats not to say that Brian couldn't make a go of the senior squad but it would be a completely different challenge.

Badweather Fan
01/12/2002, 8:43 PM
Originally posted by Ref
The Dubliner said he was keen on the opportunity from the moment the position became available, but there were issues he needed to consider before making a final decision.

Anybody got a clue what he means by "issues"? Sounds a bit strange to me.

The Money Man
01/12/2002, 9:37 PM
Originally posted by Ref

there were issues he needed to consider before making a final decision.

Almost sounds like he's been approached.