PDA

View Full Version : What if...? 2008

The Legend
25/11/2002, 9:49 PM
What if Bertie succeeded in getting Croke Park for Euro 2008?

What if England ended up playing a match there?

I wonder what the GAA would say about that!
At the minimum, Probably force them to observe a minute silence for the Croke Park massacre.

As well as having the riot police and a few thousand culchies waiting outside with batons and hurleys!....

pete
26/11/2002, 9:56 AM
The 2008 bid continues to be a complete joke & I can't see how Uefa would be stupid enough to award it to Scotland.

Ireland does not get an opening match or even a 3rd place playoff match. All we get is one group & a 1/4 final match. :rolleyes:

Fair dues to the GAA for getting (unconditional) cash from the government to build half their stadium but they must be the most close minded if not bigoted sports organisation in the western world.

I still can't see how the stadiums work out.

If the GAA allow Croke Park for euro 2008 only the IRFU probably wouldn't allow Lansdowne to be renovated with reduced capacity so Bertie Bowl would still be necessary?

:confused:

patsh
26/11/2002, 10:03 AM
I wonder what the GAA would say about that!
At the minimum, Probably force them to observe a minute silence for the Croke Park massacre.

As well as having the riot police and a few thousand culchies waiting outside with batons and hurleys!....

I think that even the GAA are a bit too grown up for that now.
A few of it's members might be in favour of the idea though.....;)

What if Bertie succeeded in getting Croke Park for Euro 2008?
What if the lying little arsehole succeeded in getting a stadium built for soccer that would only cost €200 million and not a billion €?
(most stadiums being built in Britain seem to get built for between ST£100 - ST£150 million?)
What if the slimey piece of sh*t did something useful like that?

What if the FAI were not the most useless bunch of f*ckwits in the world and built a stadium of their own?

What if the Euro 2008 bid was not a very unfunny joke?

Éanna
26/11/2002, 2:02 PM
Originally posted by oddboy
What if the lying little arsehole succeeded in getting a stadium built for soccer that would only cost €200 million and not a billion €?
(most stadiums being built in Britain seem to get built for between ST£100 - ST£150 million?)
What if the slimey piece of sh*t did something useful like that?

What if the FAI were not the most useless bunch of f*ckwits in the world and built a stadium of their own?

What if the Euro 2008 bid was not a very unfunny joke?
then life would be much better. Unfortunately we´re stuck with a lying arsehole as taoiseach who sponsors institutional bigotry by throwing cash at the GAA(AAAAAAAAAA) who walked all over the spinless tw@ts at the FAI and forced them, out of the eircom Park idea.
the whole thing is a joke

Shed End John
26/11/2002, 2:10 PM
Originally posted by The Legend

Highly unlikely now. Lennart Johansen (spelled it right, did I?) gave his wholehearted backing to the Austria/Switzerland bid a little over an hour ago. Between all the comings and goings his voice will carry alot of weight and must be seen as a massive blow to the Irish/Scottish 'bid'.

Murphy Out Now!!!

The Money Man
26/11/2002, 9:00 PM
Originally posted by Éanna

Unfortunately we´re stuck with a lying arsehole as taoiseach who sponsors institutional bigotry by throwing cash at the GAA(AAAAAAAAAA) who walked all over the spinless tw@ts at the FAI and forced them, out of the eircom Park idea.
the whole thing is a joke

There are a number of points in the comment above that need to be addressed.

Firstly, regardless of your opinion of the current Taoiseach, (and let me state that I'm not his number 1 fan) the simple fact is that he is the only political leader in this country with the political will to build a national stadium. So while you chose to undermine his credibility, I suggest that you do remember that if you ever wish to see an international match in this country in a 60k all-seater stadium, there is only one man who is prepared to put it there.

Secondly, with regard to the GAA, regardless of all their shortcomings (and they have any number of them), at least they put a realistic plan in place to build a World class facility and they implemented it. Of course the government helped fund it. The current government have helped fund just about any proposed sporting facility that was properly planned. We now have a national swimming complex in Abbottstown because the government funded it. We now have a national equestrian centre in Kill because the government funded it. And regardless of how much money they actually did spend, the reality is that the government's proposed sport structural fund for the last 5 years was not used up. So if the FAI can't put a cogent plan in place to take their share of the cake, thats the FAI's fault and nobody else's.

Finally, this Eircom Park thing is twaddle. The FAI couldn't build a Wendy House never mind an international sporting facility. The first reality is that the proposed stadium, even if it was actually built, would have been too small. Too small because they think too small. Given that they were only going to build a small stadium, you would expect that even they could manage it. Wrong again. The project's financial projections were universally accepted to be farcically under-estimated. Despite the under-estimation, they still couldn't raise the ridiculously low figure projected. So the fact that they were talked out of it by anybody was a blessing. Otherwise, we'd be left with a half finished sand-castle in the middle of a big field and the FAI would be stone broke. Where would the national game be left then?

If anybody wishes to whinge about the Taoiseach, the GAA, sports funding or the lack of an FAI stadium, there is infinite scope. So for Jaysus sake stick to the facts and we can all whinge together.

pete
27/11/2002, 12:11 PM
Originally posted by The Money Man

Firstly, regardless of your opinion of the current Taoiseach, (and let me state that I'm not his number 1 fan) the simple fact is that he is the only political leader in this country with the political will to build a national stadium. So while you chose to undermine his credibility, I suggest that you do remember that if you ever wish to see an international match in this country in a 60k all-seater stadium, there is only one man who is prepared to put it there.

You may be correct but the reason the government increased funding in sport was because the government had more revenue. Lets ee how much money put towards sport in the next couple of lean years.

Finally, this Eircom Park thing is twaddle. The FAI couldn't build a Wendy House never mind an international sporting facility. The first reality is that the proposed stadium, even if it was actually built, would have been too small. Too small because they think too small. Given that they were only going to build a small stadium, you would expect that even they could manage it. Wrong again. The project's financial projections were universally accepted to be farcically under-estimated. Despite the under-estimation, they still couldn't raise the ridiculously low figure projected. So the fact that they were talked out of it by anybody was a blessing. Otherwise, we'd be left with a half finished sand-castle in the middle of a big field and the FAI would be stone broke. Where would the national game be left then?

On the one hadn you say the FAI couldn't build EP & then you say they were thinking too small. If they couldn't build a s"small" EP surely they wouldn't have had a hope at a bigger EP?

Fact: Irish football & the FAI (maybe because of the FAI) have been screwed by successive governments. The government paid 60m+ to build a big swimming pool in Abbotstown, paid upwards on 100m for Croke Park but would not similarily fund the FAI for EP & basically told them they could only get the cash as part of backing Bertie Bowl.

Even i'm getting sick of it now. EP was not given a chance because of internal FAI fighting & questionable behaviour from the Taoiseach like using thw Dept of Defense to delay (maybe a s long as a year) the planning approval for EP by making spurious objections about EP obstruction landings at Baldonnel.

:(

The Money Man
27/11/2002, 12:35 PM
Originally posted by pete

You may be correct but the reason the government increased funding in sport was because the government had more revenue. Lets ee how much money put towards sport in the next couple of lean years.

I'm quite sure that Bertie would wish to proceed with the National Stadium if he thought it wouldn't be political suicide. Can you imagine the public reaction if Bertie allocated the requisite money to build the stadium. There would be outcry from public sector workers, first time buyers, the sick, the disabled, students, anybody who uses the M50, farmers, the opposition, backbenchers, political commentators, economists.....

:(

pete
27/11/2002, 1:33 PM
Yes, but what i was saying is Bertie isn't the great sporting saviour some people think he is.

Was he throwing money at sport when he was Minister for Finance before? No cos there was no money.

The Money Man
27/11/2002, 1:40 PM
Originally posted by pete

Was he throwing money at sport when he was Minister for Finance before? No cos there was no money.

If by your own admission there was no money, how would you suggest that he increase spending.

patsh
27/11/2002, 6:48 PM
You are entitled to your opinion, Money Man, but to present Liar Ahern as someone who wants to build a stadium for soccer is not even something the FF spin machine would try on.
This guy only wants one thing Power.
He will say anything, promise anything to get it.
The fact is that this guy wanted a monument to himself, nothing more, nothing less.
If you want to try and reinforce the theory about our "sports loving Taoiseach" go ahead, but not everyone falls for this kind of twaddle.
Take a look at the improvements to race courses around the country in the last 5 years.
We could have had 2 stadiums built on half the money they got.
€11 million was the first offer the FAI got from the government and they had to go along with the "Assh*le bowl" for that. They were only promised more when desperation set in for FF.
Ahern spews endless sh*t about his "beloved Man U". He can often be found in Celtic Park.
When was the last time the little f*cker showed up at Tolka or Dalymount or Richmond park etc ?
Himself and the little piece of sh*t Dunphy are well matched.
He is quite happy to cut back on CE schemes, under which a lot of young lads now get coaching.
The FAI, like the rest of this country, should never believe a solitary syllable out of that crooked c*nts mouth, and when/if they get a new CEO, should start looking at their own stadium again.

Éanna
28/11/2002, 9:20 AM
The FAI, like the rest of this country, should never believe a solitary syllable out of that crooked c*nts mouth, and when/if they get a new CEO, should start looking at their own stadium again.
Agree 100% there oddboy. I can´t believe there´s anyone stupid enough to vote for him :rolleyes: sorry conor ;)

The National Stadium was something he wanted so as he could spend the rest of his life saying "i done dat," not cos he actually gives a toss

pete
28/11/2002, 10:44 AM
Originally posted by Éanna
The National Stadium was something he wanted so as he could spend the rest of his life saying "i done dat," not cos he actually gives a toss

Bertie has now jumped onto the 2008 bandwagon as his next monument.

Unfortunately in this country the FAI are too incompetent & too waek to stand up to the government. Football/Soccer is the biggest participation sport in this country - even beats the GAA who seem to include anyone who ever was a meember oa club as a current member.

Shamefully in this country not all football participants or fans have any connection with the sport in this country whereas a body like the GAA would appear to count on all members as loyal supporters of their cause.

The Money Man
28/11/2002, 9:41 PM

The fact is that this guy wanted a monument to himself, nothing more, nothing less.
If you want to try and reinforce the theory about our "sports loving Taoiseach" go ahead, but not everyone falls for this kind of twaddle.

Excuse me, I don't recall referring to him as a sports loving Taoiseach. Nor did I make any reference to WHY he wanted to build the stadium. Please address what I actually said and not whatever you feel suits your arguement.

I simply said that he is the only political leader who wants to put money into a national stadium. I for one am completely naffed off having to pay rip-off prices to the FAI because they only have 33,000 seats available. I'm naffed off watching the lads play on the worst playing surface in western Europe. I'm naffed off getting pis_ed on every second match because less than half the stadium is covered. I'm naffed off have to buy food/drinks/programmes out of sheds and trailors. You bearly have time for a half-time whiz because the jacks are pre-historic. And you want to whinge about WHY he wants to build a stadium! I counldn't care less why! Just let him build the bloody thing.

pete
29/11/2002, 10:45 AM
Ok, I don't think the state should be spending upwards on 1 billion euro (if you include only some of the transport link costs) to build a National Stadium. The state has already spending close on 250m (not so widely publicised) moving the state laboratories & paying consultants for the Campus Ireland Project. The government does not spend its own money, it spend sour money -> will you pay extra taxes so Bertie can have a Bowl?

I also think the govt was naive & unrealistic to ever think they would have the funds to build the stadium. I also don't like tax dodgers like Magnier "donating" money to the stadium...

fosterdollar
29/11/2002, 10:56 AM

What the hell are you talking about. You sound worse than those wacky conspiracy theorists. What do actually believe? That you're the only person who can see this? Don't forget, he and his party were voted into government only a short time ago by the a large majority of the electorate. That's democracy my friend. As for the idea of building a monument to himself. That's rediculous. What do you think would happen? His name would be plastered over every entrance and exit in the stadium? Would you cop on for god's sake. We're not living under some oppressive regime like you'd like to make it out to be. You can't see the wood for the trees because you're letting a desire for a national stadium be quashed just because you like the idea of being in the popular 'cool' minority that says Bertie's only in it to suit his own ends.

patsh
29/11/2002, 3:52 PM

Excuse me, I don't recall referring to him as a sports loving Taoiseach. Nor did I make any reference to WHY he wanted to build the stadium. Please address what I actually said and not whatever you feel suits your arguement.

I simply said that he is the only political leader who wants to put money into a national stadium. I for one am completely naffed off having to pay rip-off prices to the FAI because they only have 33,000 seats available. I'm naffed off watching the lads play on the worst playing surface in western Europe. I'm naffed off getting pis_ed on every second match because less than half the stadium is covered. I'm naffed off have to buy food/drinks/programmes out of sheds and trailors. You bearly have time for a half-time whiz because the jacks are pre-historic. And you want to whinge about WHY he wants to build a stadium! I counldn't care less why! Just let him build the bloody thing.
He DOES NOT want to build a stadium.
If he wanted to build a stadium, he could have done it years ago.
A really decent stadium could be built for €200 million, but he didn't want that, he wanted a monument to himself.
So address my point, not whinge about conditions in ruggerland.
The point is that this f*cker
DOES NOT WANT TO BUILD A STADIUM FOR SOCCER IN THIS COUNTRY.
Face up to that.

patsh
29/11/2002, 3:56 PM
Originally posted by Magoo

What the hell are you talking about. You sound worse than those wacky conspiracy theorists. What do actually believe? That you're the only person who can see this? Don't forget, he and his party were voted into government only a short time ago by the a large majority of the electorate. That's democracy my friend. As for the idea of building a monument to himself. That's rediculous. What do you think would happen? His name would be plastered over every entrance and exit in the stadium? Would you cop on for god's sake. We're not living under some oppressive regime like you'd like to make it out to be. You can't see the wood for the trees because you're letting a desire for a national stadium be quashed just because you like the idea of being in the popular 'cool' minority that says Bertie's only in it to suit his own ends.
I'm the only one that can see this....
That's democracy my friend....
Oppressive regime.........
popular 'cool' minority ........................
The typical rantings of a paranoid FFer
Get back to your cumann, dev boy.

pete
29/11/2002, 5:32 PM
Originally posted by Magoo
Don't forget, he and his party were voted into government only a short time ago by the a large majority of the electorate.

They may have got motre than the others but 41% ain't no majority.

Bertie is possible the countries first populist Taoiseach in the sense he'll jump on the bandwagon of any sport to get votes.

The Money Man
29/11/2002, 6:03 PM

I'm the only one that can see this....
That's democracy my friend....
Oppressive regime.........
popular 'cool' minority ........................
The typical rantings of a paranoid FFer
Get back to your cumann, dev boy.

A very balanced, lucid, well constructed arguement oddboy. You continue to do honour to yourself by presenting well defined, strongly evidenced debate. The fact that you would never lower yourself to loose generalisation and petty name-calling is to your eternal credit.

patsh
30/11/2002, 1:27 PM

A very balanced, lucid, well constructed arguement oddboy. You continue to do honour to yourself by presenting well defined, strongly evidenced debate. The fact that you would never lower yourself to loose generalisation and petty name-calling is to your eternal credit.
While you, with your Shavian wit, Augustinian tautologies and Jesuitical understanding of the issues will continue to confound, confuse and convince?....:rolleyes:

The Money Man
30/11/2002, 6:29 PM

While you, with your Shavian wit, Augustinian tautologies and Jesuitical understanding of the issues will continue to confound, confuse and convince?....:rolleyes:

I knew you had it in you - touche!

crc
30/11/2002, 7:15 PM
Money Man - you seem like the kind of guy who could throw some cash at a National Stadium for us, eh!!!

Bertie told a lot of lies to get elected - FF got mine last time, precisely because I wanted a National Stadium, I won't be fooled twice.
However I don't see any of the other parties looking to give us facilities, if not to be proud of, at least not to be ashamed of!!!

If we ever do get somewhere to play, I don't want it to be out on the M50 - stadiums in city centres (that you can walk to from the pub) are so much better than ones where you either get caught up in a huge traffic jam or squeeze into some form of public transport to get to.

If someone ever did build a new stadium for football I think building it in Dublin's Docklands could be an option.

I would have liked to see 2008 come here, but that possibility looks remote - Switzerland & Austria looks like the safe bet as far as UEFA is concerned.

Maybe we can bid for Euro2024???

The Money Man
30/11/2002, 7:28 PM
Originally posted by crc
Money Man - you seem like the kind of guy who could throw some cash at a National Stadium for us, eh!!!

My title reflects my occupation and not my balance sheet unfortunately!!!

Shed End John
05/12/2002, 10:45 AM
My title reflects my occupation and not my balance sheet unfortunately!!!

That'll be an accountant then or Christ forbid an economist or fund manager!

Murphy Out Now!!!

The Money Man
05/12/2002, 11:39 PM
Originally posted by Shed End John
That'll be an accountant then or Christ forbid an economist or fund manager!

Murphy Out Now!!!

None of the above, TG!