PDA

View Full Version : 5-3-2/3-5-2?

pete
09/07/2001, 12:10 PM
Having noticed Gunther tried this out in the last 30mins against $hel$ in the Sooper Dooper Cup & sounds like he like played some form of against $eltic last friday is this the future?

Ok so its really 5-3-2 no matter what Gunther tries to convince people.

I'm a fairly diehard 4-4-2 with wingers & loads of crosses (haven't City tried to play like that for ever?) person but maybe this 5-3-2 lark could work?

Pros:
Carey & Horgan get more involved in the game. These guys have to be the best City players at the moment?
Ollie seems to slot in behind the front 2 & also becomes more of a threat?
Solves right side of midfield problem?
Get to play extra central defender

Peadar
09/07/2001, 12:44 PM
Who's the fifth person at the back?

pete
09/07/2001, 1:07 PM
O'Rourke I believe.

Pablo
09/07/2001, 6:26 PM
Could gunther yet prove to be a tactical genius in the Gereard Houllier student of the game type thingy?

City Hero
09/07/2001, 9:37 PM
Originally posted by rebel
Solves right side of midfield problem?

What problem? The only one with the problem is Gunther for not playing Colin O'Brien. Or am I wrong? Can anyone point out when Colin started to play bad, to not give 110%.

And 5 defenders on the pitch and the Supporters Club player of the year 2000/2001 Stephen Napier still dosen't get a game, that would be the biggest insult ever.

pete
10/07/2001, 9:44 AM
Can anyone point out when Colin started to play bad, to not give 110%.

Colin did not deserve a starting place last season. anytime I saw him he looked to be lacking the extra yard of pace which lets face it is more or less all he has. He really isn't a winger at all but a converted fullback. Saying that he does score his fair share of goals.

Leonard
10/07/2001, 11:35 AM
The only problem I have with our 4-4-2 is that there is no competition for Ollie's place on the wing, thus allowing him to put in his now usual two good games a season. I would dispence with midfield altogether as I find them typically superfluous to City's requirements. High long balls to the head of Mulligan and Morely is, quite clearly, the way to go whilst packing the defence with eager, young hoofers. Total Football? You betya!

pete
10/07/2001, 1:37 PM
Total Football?

Yeah! Every player can play in any of the defensive positions ;)

Seriously though IT IS a good sign Gunthers willing to try new things in the pre-season. Makes a change from Davies panic whenever we played Pats & he suddenly attempted the 5-3-2 to disastrous affect :(