PDA

View Full Version : Fanzines

TommyT
25/11/2002, 6:14 PM
Bought both the Longford and Shels fanzines in recent weeks. Both were good reads esp. the Shels' one strangely enough. How many Fanzines are on the go here at the moment and what do people reckon is the best of them ?

UCD_4_Life
25/11/2002, 6:17 PM
UCD's fanzine STIG is very good.

Not out often enough for my tastes though. Lazy students.;)

Schumi
25/11/2002, 6:42 PM
Originally posted by UCD_4_Life
Some people are never happy:rolleyes: You're lucky you're not left waiting on the Longford boys:p

Cork and Harps have good fanzines too. Bohs had one last year but I don't know if that's still going.

fonzi
28/11/2002, 12:24 PM
cork city's is 4-5-1
down to the river is harps if i can remember correctly.
shels red inc.

city's one is the best though

Éanna
28/11/2002, 1:22 PM
City´s FourFiveOne is the best IMO, closely followed by Harps´ "Down to the River"

Shed End John
28/11/2002, 3:34 PM
Originally posted by Éanna
City´s FourFiveOne is the best IMO,

I'll second that. There can be no doubt about it, 451 has no competition whatsoever when it comes to the title of best fanzine. Might get a rather big disagreement from Gunther on that one though....:D

Murphy Out Now!!!

Gary
02/12/2002, 9:53 AM
Originally posted by UCD_4_Life
UCD's fanzine STIG is very good.

How often is that one out now??

Is it stapled now?

I like the DTTR harps one, Red inc is fairly poor, One F is handy, STIG has its moments.

UCD_4_Life
02/12/2002, 6:52 PM
Originally posted by GWA

Is it stapled now?

I like the DTTR harps one, Red inc is fairly poor, One F is handy, STIG has its moments.

It is.

It's out every six weeks or so, I think. The last one was out at the Drogheda game and the next will be out on the 27th against Derry.

sadloserkid
03/12/2002, 8:47 AM
Got two complemantary copies of the Harps one during the week and enjoyed it immensely!!! Haven't seen many others. In the first division we're lucky to get programmes never mind fanzines!

FourFiveOne
03/12/2002, 10:18 AM
Check out our new guestbook here (http://www.theguestbook.com/egbook/466424.gbook)

anything offensive WILL be removed.

Schumi
03/12/2002, 12:56 PM
Originally posted by GWA

Is it stapled now?

STIG is out for every second home game, as said above the next one (which i'm putting together at the moment) is out at the Derry game on the 27th. It is now stapled and has a colour front cover (and usually a colour back cover 'ad') and is great.;)

As soon as someone explains to me how to do it, there will be a section of the SSS website dedicated to it.

Bohs had issue 8 of their fanzine out on Friday, I think it's called 1984. It's more match programme-ish than any of the other fanzines I've seen but it's pretty good.

Jaime
04/12/2002, 3:51 PM
I don't see how Nineteen Eighty Four is programme-ish to be honest. It's got match previews, classic moments, even "a geezer's guide to the grounds of the eL".
Its a decent enough read, and hopefully it will improve.

Schumi
04/12/2002, 4:19 PM
I suppose what I mean is that it doesn't take the pi$$ as much as ours, Longford's Cork's or Harps' (although I haven't seen a new issue of any of them in a while). Match previews, classic moments and a guide to the grounds of the eL strikes me as the kind of thing that wouldn't look out of place in a match programme.

I'm not slagging it, it's just that it's a different style to the other fanzines I've seen (at least so far as I remember them).

BTW to correct above, the next issue of Student Till I Graduate is out for the $hels game on 13th December as well as the Derry game. See here (http://foot.ie/showthread.php?threadid=3746) .

Pauro 76
04/12/2002, 5:06 PM
OK Schumi, hint taken, your copys in the post!!! FourFiveOne is king of fanzines i reckon.

Schumi
05/12/2002, 11:36 AM
Seeing as I've lost the address I had for you guys and I don't have any fanzines to hand and the post will probably be bad coming up to Christmas and a few more excuses I haven't thought of yet, I'll bring whatever ones you haven't got to the game in Longford in a few weeks.

Jaime
05/12/2002, 6:16 PM
Hmn I suppose there are more serious articles than in may other fanzines, but there is plenty of humour at the expense of the other Dublin clubs.
The lads don't get much of a hand though, to be honest.

Schumi
09/12/2002, 4:20 PM
Originally posted by Jaime
Hmn I suppose there are more serious articles than in may other fanzines, but there is plenty of humour at the expense of the other Dublin clubs.
The lads don't get much of a hand though, to be honest.
Yeah, it strikes a different balance than ours but it's a good read and is twice as big as ours. I enjoyed the Jackie Jameson stuff.

Gary
18/03/2003, 10:28 AM
whats the story with the eL zines this season?

Ive been looking for a few Red Incs when in Dublin and never came by it. Ditto with the Bohs one.

Im sure Waterford have one as well, hope it will be a nice addition to the Premier division zine scene.

STIG, ive heard that the guys behind that are "corporate shills" and a running to the programme! for shame.:p

And One F, whats the story with that one?

Any other clubs, like Drogs or Limk intend on trying one?

sadloserkid
18/03/2003, 10:34 AM
Originally posted by GWA
whats the story with the eL zines this season?

Ive been looking for a few Red Incs when in Dublin and never came by it. Ditto with the Bohs one.

Im sure Waterford have one as well, hope it will be a nice addition to the Premier division zine scene.

STIG, ive heard that the guys behind that are "corporate shills" and a running to the programme! for shame.:p

And One F, whats the story with that one?

Any other clubs, like Drogs or Limk intend on trying one?

I know Drogs and ourselves are both talking about one. We haven't commited to any date yet and if we do get one out this season it will be on a strictly pilot basis, if we get two editions out it'll probably be as many...

Dodge
18/03/2003, 11:23 AM
Myself and a couple of other lads are starting up a new pats one. Title hasn't been decided yet...

pineapple stu
18/03/2003, 12:46 PM
Originally posted by GWA

Don't worry - we'll be getting all the serious stuff out of the way, so the fanzine will be 16 pages of guaranteed libel* - still the best fanzine in the league by far! :)

* - (Not a guarantee)

Schumi
18/03/2003, 3:32 PM
Originally posted by pineapple stu
* - (Not a guarantee) Damn it. :D

Pauro 76
19/03/2003, 11:46 AM
[i]And One F, whats the story with that one?

We’re bringing out a new edition of One F in Longford, about 2 months into the new season, editorial change at the moment, An Rock couldnt handle the pressure!!! Will letcha know when its coming out, have some ideas for the new one and a special real life Longford Town guest columnist possibly lined up.. watch this space... :)

Macy
19/03/2003, 1:18 PM
Originally posted by PAURO 7
a special real life Longford Town guest columnist possibly lined up.. watch this space...
Okay, okay I'll do it - no need to add public pressure ;)

Pauro 76
19/03/2003, 1:29 PM
Originally posted by Macy
Okay, okay I'll do it - no need to add public pressure ;)

Shhh.... you’ve blown our cover!!! your fired!!!!
;)

Mr_T
26/03/2003, 10:00 PM
Down To The River are hoping to go back full steam ahead for the new season, despite as ever having absolutely nothing prepared and no thought put into it yet, still we'll get yet another quality issue out for hopefully Kildare County on Good Friday.

We managed to get 7 issues out in our debut season, one a month and anyone wanting copies can mail me at downtotheriver@eircom.net. Never read this thread b4 so pretty chuffed to see we get several votes for 2nd best fanzine. I would agree that 451 is the yardstick for Irish fanzines at the minute....cough.. more free issues...cough

My advice to prospective fanzine editors is just do it. To much thinkin about and you'll never have a fanzine. Lash it out and try to improve every issue.

Waterford do have a very good fanzine "Blue Till I Die" which was together with Corks one of our early inspirations, and I'd say next best I've seen after Cork (and us *blush*). I got the first ever One F at our playoff end of a year and a half ago but never saw any since, and Macy is pretty useless :) Also, Galway Utd stared one, oddly for their playoff against us this year, Tribal Bible, wasn't overly impressed with the first one, but its a start. They're keepin it going htis year too I think.

Finally, I'd dearly like to get a hold of Bohs fanzine, and the latest issues of Longfords. Any more STIGs would be appreciated too.

I think I have most of the other current ones in the League, hopefully be reading Limericks and Droghedas soon too.

TG

Macy
27/03/2003, 9:11 AM
Originally posted by Mr_T
I got the first ever One F at our playoff end of a year and a half ago but never saw any since, and Macy is pretty useless :)
Eh? My only contribution to the Longford Fanzine has been the name! I'm sure the quality would pick up if I was involved (well certainly the spelling and grammar would ;) )

Mr_T
27/03/2003, 9:48 PM
Yeah, but you were meant to get the lads to send me up a couple ;)

TG

Schumi
28/03/2003, 12:59 PM
Trev, PM me your address and I'll send you a few STIGs.

Macy
28/03/2003, 1:22 PM
Originally posted by Mr_T
Yeah, but you were meant to get the lads to send me up a couple
I asked them for copies and they never got back to me, I blame the editorial team.....

Pauro 76
28/03/2003, 1:22 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Mr_T
[B] I got the first ever One F at our playoff end of a year and a half ago but never saw any since, and Macy is pretty useless :) [QUOTE]

Could ya PM "Down to the River's" address to me, and ill sort ya out with a few of the latest copies of ONE F IN LONGFORD. (ahem) In exchange for a few of yours of course... :)

pineapple stu
28/03/2003, 4:29 PM

Could ya PM "Down to the River's" address to me, and ill sort ya out with a few of the latest copies of ONE F IN LONGFORD. (ahem) In exchange for a few of yours of course... :)

"A few of the latest copies"?! Do you mean all three?!:D ;) :D

Pauro 76
31/03/2003, 9:08 AM
Originally posted by pineapple stu
"A few of the latest copies"?! Do you mean all three?!:D ;) :D

quality not quantity, young man! :cool:

pineapple stu
31/03/2003, 1:00 PM
quality not quantity, young man! :cool:

As opposed to our motto - "Quality and quantity" :D

And that's just when playing football against youz! ;)

@ndy
31/03/2003, 2:57 PM
451 is excellent and the lads do a great job, but i think STIG definitely gives it a run for its money, and i honestly think STIG is a rounder more varied publication, with a more professional layout. As for One F, it will make you laugh...if you ever manage to get your hands on it :) It is quite good, but the lads need to straighten it out a little ;). 1984 is quite 'tame' compared to the rest. It tends to rely a little too much on articles sent in by readers. Let your hair down a little lads...don't be afraid to slag the team off...oh well, i suppose you don't really need to?, well slag rovers then...

I've been told by friend who is a harps fan, that he read their fanzine last season. He said it was very good but admitted it wasn't quite up to STIGs level as yet! Anyway...i think, as pineapple stu referred to, the only true way to settle this debate is on the football pitch...as pioneered by ourselves and the longford lads last year. This season we have managed to scam the halftime spot for a match on the pitch against longford...but it would be quite good if we could have a few games this season...

pineapple stu
31/03/2003, 10:13 PM
Originally posted by @ndy
it would be quite good if we could have a few games this season...

UCD v. Cork City on Good Friday - anybody from 4-5-1 up for taking on the reigning league champions? We can book a court for Saturday afternoon/morning if anybody's interested.