PDA

View Full Version : Soccer Limerick given green light

Pages : [1] 2

BrayUnknowns
11/01/2007, 10:59 AM
New consortium Soccer Limerick have been given the green light to making a formal application for a Licence to play in eircom League Division One.

Following meetings last night of the committees represented in Soccer Limerick, each committee (the Ladies, Schoolboy/girl and Junior committees) decided to approve the application, opening the way for it to proceed formally. More (http://www.rte.ie/sport/2007/0111/soccerlimerick.html)

Bit of good news for footie in Limerick :ball:

Pablo
11/01/2007, 11:18 AM
New consortium Soccer Limerick have been given the green light to making a formal application for a Licence to play in eircom League Division One.

Following meetings last night of the committees represented in Soccer Limerick, each committee (the Ladies, Schoolboy/girl and Junior committees) decided to approve the application, opening the way for it to proceed formally. More (http://www.rte.ie/sport/2007/0111/soccerlimerick.html)

Bit of good news for footie in Limerick :ball:

Whats Jackman Park like? cant be worse than the last couple os squats they've played in surely?

GuisaSaigon
11/01/2007, 11:38 AM
Whats Jackman Park like? cant be worse than the last couple os squats they've played in surely?

It is one of the last couple of squats ! Its that kip beside the train station.
best of luck though, the league needs a limerick club.

Monkfish
11/01/2007, 11:51 AM
Its the worst!, perfectly located if (and thats a big if) redeveloped.

Lim till i die
11/01/2007, 11:54 AM
Visiting fans

You thought Rathbane was bad :eek: :eek: :)

Conor H
11/01/2007, 11:57 AM
Visiting fans

You thought Rathbane was bad :eek: :eek: :)

The thought that Limerick could be playing in a location worse than the complete sh!thole that was/is Rathbane is unbearable.God be with you to any away fans heading there next year.

Pablo
11/01/2007, 12:14 PM
Will Limerick FC fans support this team?

BohsPartisan
11/01/2007, 12:43 PM

Yes, all except one who will spend the rest of his life travelling the country going to every EL game he can. Sometimes two in the same night.

Monkfish
11/01/2007, 12:53 PM

Whats the alternitive? suppport Galway? :)
As it stands most current fans will, thats IF there is a club next season.

Lim till i die
11/01/2007, 1:12 PM
The thought that Limerick could be playing in a location worse than the complete sh!thole that was/is Rathbane is unbearable.God be with you to any away fans heading there next year.

Unbearable??

Really??

Jesus Conor had no idea you cared so much, thank you for your concern :)

Lim till i die
11/01/2007, 1:13 PM

I don't see why not

There's talk of the defunct Limerick F.C. being a part of the new group and besides some of our older fans are well used to name changes by now :ball:

Lim till i die
11/01/2007, 1:14 PM
Yes, all except one who will spend the rest of his life travelling the country going to every EL game he can. Sometimes two in the same night.

:confused:

BohsPartisan
11/01/2007, 1:25 PM
:confused:

Wasn't Tom the Gom a Cork Hibs fan whose refusal to support any new Cork club after Hibs demise was the catalyst for the birth of a legend?
Thought maybe the lims might get their own version.

Lim till i die
11/01/2007, 1:30 PM
Wasn't Tom the Gom a Cork Hibs fan whose refusal to support any new Cork club after Hibs demise was the catalyst for the birth of a legend?

Oh rite forgot about that tosser, fortunately Limerick F.C. haven't had enough fans in the last decade to attract a mentally ill fringe :)

Macy
11/01/2007, 1:34 PM
fortunately Limerick F.C. haven't had enough fans in the last decade to attract a mentally ill fringe
I thought all that was left was the mentally ill fringe?

Lim till i die
11/01/2007, 1:37 PM
I thought all that was left was the mentally ill fringe?

ZING :D

A face
11/01/2007, 4:13 PM

Here is a pic of it a few years ago !!

BohDiddley
11/01/2007, 4:28 PM
Sweet Jesus! :eek:
I suppose we can show that to any squad that ever pulls last season's stunt again.

sniffa
11/01/2007, 4:53 PM
What about the truck trailer??

passerrby
11/01/2007, 5:16 PM
the san ****hole

Conor H
11/01/2007, 5:49 PM
Unbearable??

Really??

Jesus Conor had no idea you cared so much, thank you for your concern :)

Selective Quoting......how pathetic.

I'm getting a bit tired of you having a go at me any time i post LTID.

Give it a rest..

CharlesThompson
11/01/2007, 6:52 PM

Holy be de Hokey! What in the name of sufferin' sanctity is that?!

dcfcsteve
11/01/2007, 9:00 PM
the san ****hole

The San Salvador more like...!

When did the aerial bombing of Jackman Park actually finish....?

Terry
11/01/2007, 9:12 PM
I remember the last time I was in the jacks, some nutter came in with his alsation dog and said that he was going to let it loose on us if we didnt keep the noise down. AT half time a few of us went across the road for a beer in some tiny little ****hole of a pub and stayed there watching spurs v man u. :D

Da Real Rover
11/01/2007, 9:20 PM

Give it a rest..
:D :D
That time of the month???

fc hammer
11/01/2007, 9:21 PM

Give it a rest..

BOO WOO!!! TO YOU!!!!:D

A face
11/01/2007, 11:30 PM
Come on lads, relax will ye !!

Lim till i die
12/01/2007, 8:18 AM

Give it a rest..

Jaysus this didn't go down very well at all did it Conor?? Almost made you look like, dare I say it, a bit of a cry baby? :rolleyes:

I was only messing with you, relax guy ok?

Anyway.....

Will ye come on lads, wheres your sense of history??

The Jacks practically oozes character from every orifice :D

Besides Faces picture is unrepresentitive as it only shows one side of the ground :p

Lim till i die
12/01/2007, 8:20 AM
I remember the last time I was in the jacks, some nutter came in with his alsation dog and said that he was going to let it loose on us if we didnt keep the noise down. AT half time a few of us went across the road for a beer in some tiny little ****hole of a pub and stayed there watching spurs v man u. :D

God I remember that, fun times (Well apart from Limerick being crap)

You weren't long quietening up either if memory serves..... Understandably enough in fairness :D

Terry
12/01/2007, 8:25 AM
God I remember that, fun times (Well apart from Limerick being crap)

You weren't long quietening up either if memory serves..... Understandably enough in fairness :D

One of the lads with me said on entering " Christ, are we playng in someones back garden" such was the size of the entrance between the 2 houses.

I believe A faces shows the better side of the ground :eek: On the other side is what? 50 foot wall of brick and nettles???:D

Partizan
12/01/2007, 9:04 AM

Sweet Mother of Jesus. :eek:

BohsFans
12/01/2007, 9:08 AM

ah yes! I remember posting that pic many a year ago, still gets the same reaction!

Lim till i die
12/01/2007, 9:39 AM
I believe A faces shows the better side of the ground On the other side is what? 50 foot wall of brick and nettles???

Indeed it did :eek:

You neglect to mention the lovely grassy slope though :p

A new entrance is on the agenda asap

The Jacks, like Rathbane has loads of potential. Unlike Rathbane though we will be in a position to draw down grants owed by the FAI so hopefully development work can start asap

Until then Yes it is a $hithole of almost Dundalk town proportions. But she's our $hithole and I wouldn't swap her for anywhere else in the world :D

Terry
12/01/2007, 9:42 AM
I agree, it has huge potential once the cash can be got from the FAI to start. The fact that its only 2 minutes from the bus/train station is great too.

Things cant get any worse now so onwards and upwards.

Lim till i die
12/01/2007, 9:46 AM
Things cant get any worse now so onwards and upwards.

You know, you think that, but then you find yourself standing up in Pike :D

Nah, hopefully it genuinely is onwards and upwards from now on, you all NEED a strong Limerick team in the league :p

(Yes I know you've been getting on fine for the last fifteen or so years so no need for anyone to point that out :o )

London-Irish
12/01/2007, 9:55 AM
Good luck to Limerick! I can't access the photo of their ground - what am i doing wrong? Or are there any other links to pics? Surely the composition of the First Division for the new season will be confirmed soon.

Magicme
12/01/2007, 10:23 AM
Lim-til-I-die will be the new Tom.....:D

Dont care where it is, this season the Lims lads will have to show me the true Limerick, all have seen is The Steering Wheel and Clohasseys (sp?)

Peadar
12/01/2007, 11:40 AM
Been avoiding this saga for a while now but can someone clarify something for me? Are Wexford Youths and Soccer Limerick in direct competition for a licence or will both be accommodated, should they be granted a licence?

Schumi
12/01/2007, 12:11 PM
My impresion from the FAI announcements is that there will be one Limerick team and one other team added to the first division next year so both could get a licence. If other teams have applied for either place, they'd be in the running too presumably.

BohsFans
12/01/2007, 1:33 PM
http://www.rte.ie/aertel/p233.htm

SOCCER LIMERICK CONSIDER NAMES
---------------------
Soccer Limerick, who are making a
formal application to the FAI for a
First Division licence, may play out of
Jackman Park which is the headquarters
of junior soccer in the Treaty City, it
has emerged.

Ger Finnin, who is acting as a
spokesman for the group, confirmed that
they will be forwarding an application
for a licence to Merrion Square.

Limerick City, Limerick United, or just
plain Limerick are some of the names
that will be up for discussion should
the Shannonsiders' bid be successful.

Peadar
12/01/2007, 1:40 PM
I can think of a few names for them...

centre mid
12/01/2007, 1:57 PM
By the railyway tracks fc
No priests allowed fc
in your backgarden fc
one man and his alsation fc

mr.untitled
12/01/2007, 2:34 PM
The last time i lived in limerick they played in jackman, I always wondered why they didnt tie in with UL, Not in a UCD way but in a Limerick FC based in castletroy way, using the universitys facilities. Soccer Limerick sounds like a grest idea but they should look to tap into the UL student pool as well as the other aspects. anythings got to be better than jackman (never made it to pike rovers ground tho)

Buller
12/01/2007, 2:57 PM
the crucial factor in deciding on the ground is its potential expansion space...
Does Jackman Park have room to expand???

Partizan
12/01/2007, 3:03 PM
Limerick United FC would be a more appropriate name given the incorporation and cooperation of the underage, women's and junior soccer entities in Limerick city. However if the present Limerick entity, namely Limerick FC (1937) dissolve, then the new entity will start off from scratch and cannot claim any continuity with Limerick FC (1937).

Thats my reading of it anyway. I hope it goes ahead, however we coudl be seeing a few potential Tom the Goms down Shanonnside.

Partizan
12/01/2007, 3:06 PM
the crucial factor in deciding on the ground is its potential expansion space...
Does Jackman Park have room to expand???

There is room to expand at 3 sides of the ground, except where the current 'stand' is now in situ. The residents would likely complain about the blocking of sunlight and the effect that this would entail on the washing and drying of their clothes but you got to hand it to the Limerick folks, at least they have the gumption to wash their dirty linen in public.

centre mid
12/01/2007, 3:58 PM
Limerick Galaxy FC

Jerry The Saint
12/01/2007, 4:32 PM
Limerick Old Boys FC (nice contrast with the Wexford upstarts)

Thomond Braves (and Faithfuls) FC (shameless bandwagonning)

Limerick Blades (ancient and pathetically obvious attempt at humour, very poor...:o )

KROW

Mr A
12/01/2007, 5:04 PM
Limerick Old Boys FC (nice contrast with the Wexford upstarts)

Thomond Braves (and Faithfuls) FC (shameless bandwagonning)

Limerick Blades (ancient and pathetically obvious attempt at humour, very poor...:o )

KROW

That is very poor Jerry.

It would be 'Limerick Gun Toting Lunatics' or some such at this stage, the carefree days of mere knife wielding nutters are now but a pleasant memory.

4tothefloor
12/01/2007, 6:04 PM
Limerick United FC would be a more appropriate name given the incorporation and cooperation of the underage, women's and junior soccer entities in Limerick city. However if the present Limerick entity, namely Limerick FC (1937) dissolve, then the new entity will start off from scratch and cannot claim any continuity with Limerick FC (1937).

Agree about the name, but not about the history. Limerick FC were once Limerick Utd, Limerick City etc. The current club is nothing but a name as it has no ground and no base. So what's another name change and back to Jackman Park? It's the same club to me, just being put in somebody else's hands. I bet you the a lot of the same officials/players will be part of the 'new' club.....

We're saving this name for our supporters club. And we're going to kick the s**t out of anyone that comes in our way :D