PDA

View Full Version : Bohs Accept Ward Bid

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

youngirish
11/01/2007, 10:03 AM
http://www.eleven-a-side.com/acrossthewater/irish_soccer_detail.asp?newsid=26010

gustavo
11/01/2007, 10:20 AM
didnt take long!

pete
11/01/2007, 10:45 AM
didnt take long!

LMAO. Ward gets Ireland thread now he moving abroad.

Sad. :rolleyes:

youngirish
11/01/2007, 10:59 AM
LMAO. Ward gets Ireland thread now he moving abroad.

Sad. :rolleyes:

He's had one before. Maybe I should have given him one last week when he was sitting around on his post season holidays. It could have been titled 'Ward Drinks a Pint of Guinness in Local'.

pete
11/01/2007, 11:02 AM
Maybe I should have given him one last week when he was sitting around on his post season holidays. It could have been titled 'Ward Drinks a Pint of Guinness in Local'.

Why does he warrant oen today?

:confused:

youngirish
11/01/2007, 11:05 AM
Why does he warrant oen today?

I dunno? Possibly because he's moving to another club? Maybe because he's progressing to a higher level of football (yes true)? Probably because if he does indeed move and performs well he'll be in an Ireland squad in the not too distant future? Take your pick.

pete
11/01/2007, 11:09 AM
I dunno? Possibly because he's moving to another club? Maybe because he's progressing to a higher level of football (yes true)? Probably because if he does indeed move and performs well he'll be in an Ireland squad in the not too distant future? Take your pick.

General Football so?

gustavo
11/01/2007, 11:13 AM
No it should stay here because he was a regular with the u-21s , its not like he's George O Callaghan , who seemingly warranted a thread in here cos Ipswich might be getting him !

youngirish
11/01/2007, 11:25 AM
No it should stay here because he was a regular with the u-21s , its not like he's George O Callaghan , who seemingly warranted a thread in here cos Ipswich might be getting him !
I would apply the same logic to O'Callaghan but not to the same extent as Ward is a regular Ireland youth player. Whatever the EL fans think the reality of the matter is their players are rarely if ever considered for Ireland squads whereby Championship players are regulars. If you need a moan and this situation is unfair then talk to Stan and his mates at the FAI. I can't do anything.

The sad fact is if O'Callaghan or Ward are playing well regularly for Ipswich or Wolves respectively they'll defo end up in an Ireland squad sooner rather than later down the line. Even if they are lighting up the EL with their talents the same cannot be said.

NeilMcD
11/01/2007, 11:30 AM
Lads if the guy plays regularly for Wolves and starts scoring in the same way as Doyle does they he can be conisdered for the Ireland sqaud and team. Until then he has not moved to a higher level of football as he may be playing for Wolves reserves etc.

Donal81
11/01/2007, 1:02 PM
Why does he warrant one today?

That's pedantic Pete, come on. An Ireland U-21 player gets a move from Bohs to Wolves - that's news that affects Ireland, not just Bohs and not just Wolves.

pete
11/01/2007, 1:03 PM
That's pedantic Pete, come on. An Ireland U-21 player gets a move from Bohs to Wolves - that's news that affects Ireland, not just Bohs and not just Wolves.

Former U21 player.

Donal81
11/01/2007, 1:08 PM
Former U21 player.

I take back the pedantic remark...:rolleyes:

When did he grow out of the U-21s? He's listed here - http://www.fai.ie/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=921 - not exactly a bastion of reliability.

Either way, it's an Irish player getting a move to a big club in the Championship so it obviously affects the national team.

Dodge
11/01/2007, 1:20 PM
FFS pete, are you going to do this with every move? This forum is for Irish players, not just those in the current squad. If he leaves the league, where else are they going to talk abouit him

youngirish
11/01/2007, 1:26 PM
FFS pete, are you going to do this with every move? This forum is for Irish players, not just those in the current squad. If he leaves the league, where else are they going to talk abouit him
100% spot on.

This forum has always been more about Irish players playing abroad than the Ireland team itself. We consistently talk about young players who are or never have been near the Ireland setup but are plying their trade in England and in some way qualify for Ireland.

Ceirtlis
11/01/2007, 1:28 PM
In fairness to Mick McCarthy he has been known to give youth a chance so this is a good oppurtunity for Ward. Whether he is up to it or not is another thing, last season seemed to be a bit of a write off for him most of it probably not his fault because he was playing on the wing but he never really imposed himself. I met him during the summer in a nightclub after the Ireland u21 game against Belgium and he was pure sound so good luck to him.

Dodge
11/01/2007, 1:29 PM
Should point oput to those who don't follow the league that Ward wouldn't be in the top ten strikers in it. And he's 21, its not like he's Anthony Stokes or anything

Donal81
11/01/2007, 1:30 PM

Bang on.

CavanBohs
11/01/2007, 1:48 PM

pete (as many others including me) obviously is annoyed and baffled that it takes a player moving to England to have to be spoken about as a possible Irish international and only appear on the radar of the paddy wagon when they do move. Why wasn't he talked about here before? He hasn't improved as a player just because an Irish team has put in a bid for him.

NeilMcD
11/01/2007, 1:55 PM
If he was talked about before it would be in the Eircom League section or the Bohs section as thats where he was playing. Now he is playing for Wolves the appropriate place for him is the Ireland section cause he plays for ireland or the World Section cause he plays for Wolves.

WeAreRovers
11/01/2007, 1:59 PM
And as the "Which forum should we put Stephen Ward in?" row rumbles on, foot.ie finally crawls up its own backside and dies. Rather like Dublin City come to think of it. ;)

KOH

gustavo
11/01/2007, 2:02 PM
100% spot on.

This forum has always been more about Irish players playing abroad than the Ireland team itself. We consistently talk about young players who are or never have been near the Ireland setup but are plying their trade in England and in some way qualify for Ireland.

Bit of a shame really as this forum strictly speaking should be just about the national team and not just Irish players everywhere except Ireland :)

Macy
11/01/2007, 2:11 PM
row rumbles on, foot.ie finally crawls up its own backside and dies.
Of course, such as thread wouldn't be possible without a Rovers fan to fulfil their foot.ie role of putting everyone straight.

wws
11/01/2007, 2:17 PM
Of course, such as thread wouldn't be possible without a Rovers fan to fulfil their foot.ie role of putting everyone straight.

and than we have Sheridan to put them straight. I've lost track of the score at this stage. Sheridan 67 Assorted Rovers Fans 0???

cavan_fan
11/01/2007, 2:19 PM
If he was talked about before it would be in the Eircom League section or the Bohs section as thats where he was playing. Now he is playing for Wolves the appropriate place for him is the Ireland section cause he plays for ireland or the World Section cause he plays for Wolves.

But he no more plays for Ireland now than he did last week. I think he should be discussed here when and if he does anything to suggest he is worth calling up (which seems unlikely). Until then the main interest is surely from an eL point of view.

Dodge
11/01/2007, 2:24 PM
He's an u21 international, you do know that don't you?

Whats wrong with having two threads? One for those who know, who for those who don't

gustavo
11/01/2007, 2:28 PM
But he no more plays for Ireland now than he did last week. I think he should be discussed here when and if he does anything to suggest he is worth calling up (which seems unlikely). Until then the main interest is surely from an eL point of view.

Jamie McCarthy , a 16 year old playing in Scotlands lower divisions warranted a thread

NY Hoop
11/01/2007, 2:36 PM
and than we have Sheridan to put them straight. I've lost track of the score at this stage. Sheridan 67 Assorted Rovers Fans 0???

Sheridan cant see straight at this stage.

WAR is spot on there. How the fcuk can anyone argue why a thread on Ward is in the Ireland section? Mods here should be deleting crap like that. Wont hold my breath though.

KOH

WeAreRovers
11/01/2007, 2:37 PM

A pincer attack by wws and Sheridan? We're doomed....

I'm bringing my class prejudice off to an Irish cricket forum to start having a pop at posh people for no reason other than the chip on my shoulder.

Macy - What's eating you? Things that bad at the Town?

KOH

wws
11/01/2007, 2:49 PM
A pincer attack by wws and Sheridan? We're doomed....

I'm bringing my class prejudice off to an Irish cricket forum to start having a pop at posh people for no reason other than the chip on my shoulder.

Macy - What's eating you? Things that bad at the Town?

KOH

sheridan's doin a pretty good job all on his own

I'd never p;ss on another man's racket, he's got the rovers fans in their box

Dodge
11/01/2007, 3:07 PM
Well they do seem to appear when either a) he posts or b) he's mentioned.

eirebhoy
11/01/2007, 3:22 PM
WAR is spot on there. How the fcuk can anyone argue why a thread on Ward is in the Ireland section? Mods here should be deleting crap like that. Wont hold my breath though.

KOH
Why? What's the difference between this thread and this:
http://foot.ie/showthread.php?t=37217

or this:
http://foot.ie/showthread.php?t=37541

or this:
http://foot.ie/showthread.php?t=37483

...or any thread to do with the transfer of an Irish player in the Ireland forum? EL fans need to really look at themselves before slagging off the rest. He's not just mentioned because he's moving to Wolves. There's also a couple of U-21 threads where he's discussed. I thought he had a great game against Belgium. If I thought he had a great game against Pats I'd post it in the EL forum.

I can understand your all feelings on this as I have similar opinions on Irish football fans who don't support the national team.

republicofwhite
11/01/2007, 3:41 PM
This thread is an absolute joke. Who cares where the threads go? Its not exactly pivotal. Of course he warrants a thread here. Pretty much every single post has been about whether or not the thread should be here! Could we have a bit more discussion about the actual player please?! Because its been fairly minimal so far!

Dodge
11/01/2007, 5:17 PM
This thread is an absolute joke. Who cares where the threads go? Its not exactly pivotal. Of course he warrants a thread here. Pretty much every single post has been about whether or not the thread should be here! Could we have a bit more discussion about the actual player please?! Because its been fairly minimal so far!

He's a minimal sort of player IMO

pete
11/01/2007, 5:27 PM
Jamie McCarthy , a 16 year old playing in Scotlands lower divisions warranted a thread

I think he is an U17 international.

Technically this is in the International section.

Anyway back on topic please... :p (i've made my point now i'll move on)

kingdom hoop
11/01/2007, 9:23 PM
I think he is an U17 international.

Technically this is in the International section.

Anyway back on topic please... :p (i've made my point now i'll move on)

jamie has only been selected in a squad, so no appearances as yet..so not an international??:confused:

is the topic whether ward is now automatically more deserving of a call-up as a wolves player, or that wolves paid the 'right' amount, or what? :confused:

unfortunately instead of clearing things up early on pete's pedantics precipitated petty posting preventing productive postulations

eirebhoy
11/01/2007, 9:45 PM
is the topic whether ward is now automatically more deserving of a call-up as a wolves player, or that wolves paid the 'right' amount, or what? :confused:
As you can see from a few links I posted we discuss pretty much every transfer of Irish players oversea's on this forum. Once you're Irish you can be discussed here but if it's more relevant to the Eircom League then it's obviously better off in that forum.

The "Bohs to Wolves" thread in the EL forum will usually be a discussion on the fee paid for him and things like that. The equivalent thread on this forum would usually go into a debate about how this move will help his progression and if he has potential to be good enough for Ireland.

Ward has been discussed plenty on this forum.
Probably most recently here:
http://www.foot.ie/showthread.php?t=48638

EL fans don't like Irish football followers that don't follow the national league so as soon as this thread was open they see him as only being recognised as soon as he leaves Ireland. That's not the case. I think anyone that posts regularly here will know of Ward.

kingdom hoop
11/01/2007, 11:14 PM
sound eirebhoy, looking out for the new kid on the block! i'm beginning to understand the politics and stuff alright. as an aside i must say i'm enjoying the community and the warmth of the residents.

Dr. Ogba
12/01/2007, 7:46 AM
the point i belive is the chuckle on the EL forum asking how long after wolves put in a bid would it take for a thread to appear on the international forum

minuites.

he is still a black and tan. hasnt moved yet. but the ole ole brigade moves in with aplomb. must be international quality now.

if you cant see why this amuses the domestic fans, you need to put down the plastic hammer and have a serious think.

Jaysus I hope you don't fall off that high horse anytime soon, looks like a long way down....:rolleyes:

Calcio Jack
12/01/2007, 8:18 AM

KOH[/QUOTE]

Does playing cricket mean you are a posh person and what is a posh person ? Reason I ask is that I played cricket from the age of 7 and also rugby in addition to soccer (no GAA sports mind you !!), I've also follwowed Rovers for more than 35 years ???? I'm not in anyway unique... lots of guys I grew up with are the same and the idea of us been described as being posh would make us laugh... guess the reason was the location of Milltown..within a few minutes walk of our leafy D4 and D6 slums....

drinkfeckarse
12/01/2007, 8:24 AM
he is still a black and tan. hasnt moved yet. but the ole ole brigade moves in with aplomb. must be international quality now.

Don't think anyone is saying that. Anyone who even keeps a remote eye on the league or posts/views on this website will know that most people have acknowledged that it's a good deal for Bohs because the boy doesn't look anything special.

Donal81
12/01/2007, 9:13 AM
the point i belive is the chuckle on the EL forum asking how long after wolves put in a bid would it take for a thread to appear on the international forum

minuites.

if you cant see why this amuses the domestic fans, you need to put down the plastic hammer and have a serious think.

Can this forum have one single thread without self-righteous posts relating back to the EL? Lazy references to the ole ole brigade and plastic hammers are just rhetorical rubbish and nothing more.

This notion of EL fans being the only true Irish football fans smacks of the worst elements within the GAA. Funny that.
:rolleyes:

youngirish
12/01/2007, 9:15 AM

minuites.

Dear Hooperatzi

Please accept my sincerest apologies for attempting to inform people that don't bother to take the time to read the Eircom League thread (heathens) about another Irish player who will most likely be playing for a massive English club in the second tier of English football. I have obviously overstepped my mark and for that I will be eternally sorry. I shall never do it again oh all seeing all knowing one.

Thanking You

youngirish

wws
12/01/2007, 9:16 AM
Can this forum have one single thread without self-righteous posts relating back to the EL? Lazy references to the ole ole brigade and plastic hammers are just rhetorical rubbish and nothing more.

This notion of EL fans being the only true Irish football fans smacks of the worst elements within the GAA. Funny that.

Typical Olér attitude.
Go inflate your plastic hammer. :D

gustavo
12/01/2007, 9:18 AM
Thread is staying here, Get back on topic!
Lot of the Bohs fans dont rate him too highly , I mean they think he is a good player and all but think that the price is a great price for him.

Donal81
12/01/2007, 9:23 AM
Typical Olér attitude.
Go inflate your plastic hammer. :D

They don't allow plastic hammers into the corporate suites, unfortunately. I must go and get one of those nylon t-shirts that so many of those fellows in the stands seem to be wearing. Where do you get one and what's our team again?
;)

gustavo
12/01/2007, 9:37 AM
They don't allow plastic hammers into the corporate suites, unfortunately. I must go and get one of those nylon t-shirts that so many of those fellows in the stands seem to be wearing. Where do you get one and what's our team again?

Get back on topic!
:o :rolleyes:

NY Hoop
12/01/2007, 10:12 AM

Rubbish. EL fans are the only true Irish football fans. Nothing to do with the GAA. FACT:D

KOH

lofty9
12/01/2007, 10:15 AM
Good move for all concerned, Bohs, Ward and Ireland. Never stood out playing for Bohs but I saw him twice at U21 and he impressed me. Hopefully, he can make the step up now to the International FirstTeam squad as we need more options up front.

WeAreRovers
12/01/2007, 10:48 AM
Does playing cricket mean you are a posh person and what is a posh person ? Reason I ask is that I played cricket from the age of 7 and also rugby in addition to soccer (no GAA sports mind you !!), I've also follwowed Rovers for more than 35 years ???? I'm not in anyway unique... lots of guys I grew up with are the same and the idea of us been described as being posh would make us laugh... guess the reason was the location of Milltown..within a few minutes walk of our leafy D4 and D6 slums....

Has your alter ego never read any of my posts on our forum?

Getting slightly back on topic, there's sod all eL fans can do re. the olé olérs but Dodge's post telling them about the merits or not of Ward is at least educating them.

Anything that stops the "He's in England, he must be good" rubbish has to be a good thing. For what it's worth I think Ward is gash - that may be Farrelly related though - but it's good business for Bohs.

KOH