PDA

View Full Version : Record Transfer Bid for Stephen Ward

Pages : [1] 2

LukeO
10/01/2007, 11:21 PM
The board of Bohemian Football Club accepted a third and much improved offer from Wolverhampton Wanderers this evening for Bohemians striker Stephen Ward.

Stephen is now in England discussing personal terms with Wolves.

Whilst the sum is undisclosed, it is confirmed that it is a record transfer fee for an Eircom League player.

The board of directors would like to thank Stephen for his service to Bohemians and wish him the best of luck in the future.

http://www.bohemian-fc.com/home/club_news/bohs_receive_record_transfer_bid_for_ward/

They obviously think he's the new Kevin Doyle, which he most certainly isn't. Great bit of business by the club.

Mr A
10/01/2007, 11:28 PM
Just what Bohs needed. A nice financial lift...........

LukeO
10/01/2007, 11:31 PM
J€a£ou$ ????????? ;)

Dodge
10/01/2007, 11:32 PM
To ge any money at all for him is superb business. Absolute rubbish IMO. fair play to Bohs

LukeO
10/01/2007, 11:36 PM
I'm not his biggest fan either. As pointed out to me earlier, the last player Bohs sold to Mick McCarthy was Brendan Markey, let's hope he does a bit better than him!

Raheny Red
11/01/2007, 12:05 AM
They obviously think he's the new Kevin Doyle, which he most certainly isn't. Great bit of business by the club.

Agreed, though I wonder how long it will take the barstoolers to regard him for the Irish considering he has just moved away from these shores!

Sheridan
11/01/2007, 12:06 AM
Heist of the century on Bohs' part. ~€200k upfront for a player still trading on "potential" five years after his début. Granted, he's been the standout performer for Givens's Gibbons, but you'd expect a regular Premier Division starter to shine surrounded by nobodies from Rockbotham-Soddington Athletic reserves.

Student Mullet
11/01/2007, 12:07 AM
Is it a record bid? Wasn't more bid for Jason Byrne last summer?

LukeO
11/01/2007, 12:15 AM
No, sorry. If the transfer goes through, it'll be the record transfer for an eircom League player but the bid isn't as high as the one made for Jason Byrne.

dcfcsteve
11/01/2007, 12:22 AM
No, sorry. If the transfer goes through, it'll be the record transfer for an eircom League player but the bid isn't as high as the one made for Jason Byrne.

So how much is it then ? It'll be in the press eventually anyway, so no point trying to keep it secret....

Risteard
11/01/2007, 12:37 AM
If it is 200,000 yoyos i'd have thought Bohs would have been in the best position of an Irish club ever to turn down such an offer.
City should surely outdo that for Roy O'Donovan.
No doubt the Doyle deal will end up outdoing it soon enough.
What was the previous record?
Wes Houlihan?

Sheridan
11/01/2007, 12:42 AM
It'll remain undisclosed for as long as Bohs want it to (although the boastful tenor of the press release suggests they're not inclined to discretion.) Most of the transfer figures, dosmetic and international, quoted in the Irish media over the past ten years have been wildly inaccurate, and have remained unchallenged and unclarified for years, with the complicity of the clubs involved.

Risteard - Why would they want to, though? A couple of hundred grand ready cash plus clauses for a middling, positionless player? Easy money, easy decision.

Risteard
11/01/2007, 12:47 AM
Fair enough.
It is a decentish sum but i think he'd help them challenge for the title more than a replacement Crowe.
I suppose i got a bit swept up in some of the figures mentioned in the papers recently.

BohsPartisan
11/01/2007, 8:03 AM
Fair enough.
It is a decentish sum but i think he'd help them challenge for the title more than a replacement Crowe.

You can't be serious.
Crowe = Proven goalscorer.
Ward = Talented but with a large dollop of Headless Chicken.

Tazskool
11/01/2007, 8:35 AM
I reckon the figure Wolves have paid for him is more in the region of £400,000 + cause of rumours around Wolves atm (I live there!) lol..

Mick is a great manager and proven and will bring him thru the ranks.. Wolves do have one of the best Training grounds around.. and can compete with most of the Premiership facilities.

lofty9
11/01/2007, 8:37 AM
What was the previous record?
Wes Houlihan?

We sold Darren Kelly to Carlisle for £100,000, got him back for free!

Hecko
11/01/2007, 9:07 AM
Great bit of business - Ward is decent enough but nowhere near O'Donovan, McCourt or even Zayed

BohsFans
11/01/2007, 9:18 AM
Yes Wardy has had a ****e season at Bohs and I'm glad we got the money for him, as he wanted to go to England. I think he's gonna turn out to be a great buy for Wolves.

wws
11/01/2007, 9:21 AM
quarter of a million for des byrne

BohsFans
11/01/2007, 9:25 AM
quarter of a million for des byrne

£200,000 I think it was?

What the hell did Pat's ever do with that money?

bohs til i die
11/01/2007, 9:26 AM
Heist of the century on Bohs' part. ~€200k upfront for a player still trading on "potential" five years after his début. Granted, he's been the standout performer for Givens's Gibbons, but you'd expect a regular Premier Division starter to shine surrounded by nobodies from Rockbotham-Soddington Athletic reserves.

its 175k [or thereabouts] upfront with add on clauses worth another 175k [ish] for senior caps, Wolves appearances and Wolves promotion. I also heard there is a sell on clause.

Also Ward made his debut in August 2003 against Skerries Town, so its 3.5 years, not 5 years.

Its a great deal for a player out of contract in 11 months time

wws
11/01/2007, 9:29 AM
£200,000 I think it was?

What the hell did Pat's ever do with that money?

spent it in Tonis on burgers and chips fro dONAL bROUGHAN and Paul Byrne (Dolo had shares - free food for life)

NY Hoop
11/01/2007, 9:59 AM
Great bit of business for any EL club to get 175k or 200k. Ward is one of the scums best players. Win win for both sides.

KOH

JW.
11/01/2007, 10:01 AM
Ward is no great loss strictly on what he has achieved, whatever about his potential.

NeilMcD
11/01/2007, 10:36 AM
Good bit of business by bohs as any time I saw Ward I was not that impressed with him. Maybe playing out on the left did not suit him though. I wonder what plans Mc Carthy has for him in that regard.

blackholesun
11/01/2007, 10:37 AM
Great deal for Bohs. He was brutal last season for Bohs, never rated him myself, but then Kevin Doyle never impressed me much either when he was with Pats!

BHS

wws
11/01/2007, 10:39 AM
Great deal for Bohs. He was brutal last season for Bohs, never rated him myself, but then Kevin Doyle never impressed me much either when he was with Pats!

BHS

true BHS

very true

and in the brief substitute appearance he made for Pats we all had a great look at his talent.......

JW.
11/01/2007, 10:43 AM
Perhaps the key is to sign players who look pretty good without being the top eL players.

wws
11/01/2007, 10:45 AM
Molloy was teh best signing ever by a cross channel club

the got Keego as well - up there with Heary as the best LoI player of the last 10 years

finnpark
11/01/2007, 10:51 AM
Yes, at least they got a substantial payment for a player that would not make all eircom league teams. Considering he was out of contract soon it was the right thing to do. £200000 is not much to a club like Wolves anyway.

At least Eircom clubs are getting more cuter to the fact that their players are worth more than they think. I mean there are 16 year olds going for a few million.

Good pice of business. I don't think sean O'Connor is a Fenlon either in that he will not spend the cash foolishly.

finnpark
11/01/2007, 10:53 AM
Molloy was teh best signing ever by a cross channel club

the got Keego as well - up there with Heary as the best LoI player of the last 10 years

Thats pure rubbish and you know it. If you think Trevor Molloyand keegan are class acts then you have a lot to learn. I never heard such nonsense.

JW.
11/01/2007, 10:54 AM
I still find the concept of players here going over "on trial" completely wrong. We should have enough faith in ourselves now to tell the British clubs where to go if they want players on trial.

Superhoops
11/01/2007, 11:02 AM
Anybody know who is Ward's agent/advisor?

Is it anyone we can casitgate for badly advising Ward or for not looking after Boh's or EL's interests. Are their initials PD by any chance? :rolleyes:

Concensus appears to be that it is a good bit of business for Bohs, the fact that someone has ended up with a nice wedge in their pocket seems to be irrelevant in this case which means anyone with the initials PD could not possibly be involved. :confused:

BrayUnknowns
11/01/2007, 11:04 AM
Great bit of business - Ward is decent enough but nowhere near O'Donovan, McCourt or even Zayed

Would you ever stop, Zayed is average at best

pete
11/01/2007, 11:07 AM

Do Givens (he advised againts Norway move last season) or Pat Devlin?

Ward was poor last season but I thought he was handy in the 2005 season. IMO better winger than striker.

Mick McCarthy paid i think 150k for Daryl Murphy when he could have got Kevin Doyle for half that.

(btw Ward has thread in ireland forum now, i think supposed to discuss him there now...)

wws
11/01/2007, 11:08 AM
Thats pure rubbish and you know it. If you think Trevor Molloyand keegan are class acts then you have a lot to learn. I never heard such nonsense.

Keegos one of the best Loi players I'ver ever seen
ditto Molloy.

only a fool would disagree.

NeilMcD
11/01/2007, 11:10 AM
Buying players and deciding their value is a complicated businnes. It is a skill in itself to be able to see that Kevin Doyle could make it at the highest level in England and that maybe some other players who stood out in the EL would not. Now I dont think for a minute that Reading knew what they were getting when they bought Doyle. Some players flourish in different environments. There have been players who have left the EL and people thought they would certainly make it and they did not for various reasons. It is a strange science judging player potential. Especially when moving to a different country comes into the equation.

JW.
11/01/2007, 11:31 AM
Buying players and deciding their value is a complicated businnes. It is a skill in itself to be able to see that Kevin Doyle could make it at the highest level in England
It's even more of a skill after four helpings of plain...

BohDiddley
11/01/2007, 11:36 AM
Ward is a good buy for Wolves, and he is being judged harshly here. Sure, he didn't score much, but, to use the cliché, he was hardly getting the service.
His rating at Wolves more likely is based on reports relating to international performances, but when he was on the field for Bohs he usually made a difference both in his play and in motivating players around him.
Still young, and potentially a great player. I wish him well.

Tazskool
11/01/2007, 11:42 AM
I am not being mean to Bohs at all..but Wolves are a far better club.. the players, the training facilities, stadium and the people he will be playing against.. which will push him up that extra level he needs. Give him till the end of the Wolves season before you see if he can handle it in the fizzypop league or the Premiership next season..

I do think he is a great buy for Wolves.. I will hopefully try and find out when his first game is for Wolves ;)

wws
11/01/2007, 11:44 AM
I am not being mean to Bohs at all..but Wolves are a far better club.. the players, the training facilities, stadium and the people he will be playing against.. which will push him up that extra level he needs. Give him till the end of the Wolves season before you see if he can handle it in the fizzypop league or the Premiership next season..

I do think he is a great buy for Wolves.. I will hopefully try and find out when his first game is for Wolves ;)

are you Mick McCARTHY?

you'd think you'd be the first to know.....

endabob1
11/01/2007, 11:48 AM
Buying players and deciding their value is a complicated businnes. It is a skill in itself to be able to see that Kevin Doyle could make it at the highest level in England and that maybe some other players who stood out in the EL would not. Now I dont think for a minute that Reading knew what they were getting when they bought Doyle. Some players flourish in different environments. There have been players who have left the EL and people thought they would certainly make it and they did not for various reasons. It is a strange science judging player potential. Especially when moving to a different country comes into the equation.

Exactly right which is why paying so little for him meant it was a gamble they would well afford to take, if he hadn't worked out he would have been released or sold on without a huge loss to Reading.

Wolves are far from a rich club these days so £200k (or however much it is) is a sizeable outlay, they will be expecting Ward to make the first XI pretty soon I would imagine.

BohDiddley
11/01/2007, 11:53 AM

People are always being mean to Bohs! Sob!

Incidentally, Bohs have some of the best training facilities going, as they use the elite section in DCU Sport. Can't argue with the rest though. I suppose if we were on the mainland we might be bigger and better.

BohsFans
11/01/2007, 11:57 AM
Good pice of business. I don't think sean O'Connor is a Fenlon either in that he will not spend the cash foolishly.

who's Sean O'Connor?

BohsFans
11/01/2007, 11:58 AM

Ward's agent is his Dad.

wws
11/01/2007, 12:06 PM
People are always being mean to Bohs! Sob!

Incidentally, Bohs have some of the best training facilities going, as they use the elite section in DCU Sport. Can't argue with the rest though. I suppose if we were on the mainland we might be bigger and better.

I hate when people use the term mainland

we are all part of the British Isles so I don't see the point of the term

BohsFans
11/01/2007, 12:10 PM

hardly!

The Stars
11/01/2007, 12:11 PM

He was given 10,000 by the Supporters Trust when we were in the First Division to bring in a striker who would score the goals to bring us into the Premeir.
He signed Paul Brown,who scored 0......in other words,he will spend cash foolishly.

TonyD
11/01/2007, 12:20 PM

I thought Mr Diddley was being sarcastic.

lofty9
11/01/2007, 12:52 PM

I could argue all day on this. Surely you mean mainland europe?