PDA

View Full Version : Shelbourne FC Statement

Gareth
10/01/2007, 9:32 PM
http://www.shelbournefc.ie/news.php?id=554

Posting it here cos Shelbourne seems to be pretty topical Eircom League news. Move if necessary!!!

Mr A
10/01/2007, 9:35 PM
Well that's a whole lot of nothing. Where's the new manager then, Ollie said it would annonced tonight?

monkey magic
10/01/2007, 9:37 PM
and there was me thinking the purpose of a statement was to actually state something:confused:

Dodge
10/01/2007, 9:46 PM
http://www.shelbournefc.ie/news.php?id=553

SSDG statement

LOL @ Shels not being able to pay wages for months but wanting to spend 250k+ on an all weather ptich

Gareth
10/01/2007, 9:48 PM
Hi Dodge, hope your having a good evening.

The statement I suppose does mention a new manager will be in place next week

pete
10/01/2007, 10:07 PM
So they had meeting tonight to annouce that will have meeting next week... :confused:

Whats the SSDG?

Dr.Nightdub
10/01/2007, 10:09 PM
I think it's worth commending Gareth for not losing his sense of humour in all this...there's a story further on down the page in the Latest News section with the headline "Last opportunity to shop"! :D

dcfcsteve
10/01/2007, 10:10 PM
http://www.shelbournefc.ie/news.php?id=554

Posting it here cos Shelbourne seems to be pretty topical Eircom League news. Move if necessary!!!

That really is one of the greatest uses of words I've seen in a long time.

'Shelbourne FC would just like to announce that we had a meeting to discuss, er, stuff...! Yeah - that's it. 'Stuff'. Good stuff, mind ! Oh - and we'll have a new Manager by the end of the week. Honestly, we will...! '

Superhoops
10/01/2007, 10:14 PM
Whats the SSDG?
Shelbourne Supporters Development Group. See here (http://www.shelbournefc.ie/webchat.php)

pineapple stu
10/01/2007, 10:18 PM
Last I saw they were looking at buying shares in Shelbourne FC Limited, a dormant company. They're still talking about getting share options - just hope they've realised their pervious error!

dcfcsteve
10/01/2007, 10:20 PM
Last I saw they were looking at buying shares in Shelbourne FC Limited, a dormant company. They're still talking about getting share options - just hope they've realised their pervious error!

A-ha - cracker.

I can just hear Olly now : "Have as many shares as yee want boys. I'll even do yee's a special deal...!"

Mental Man
11/01/2007, 7:24 AM
Just heard on RTE radio 1 this morning that Pete Mahon is in the running to take over at Shels, He must be off his rocker if he takes that job :eek: .

drummerboy
11/01/2007, 8:29 AM
Yes, Mahon is quoted as having had talks with Ollie Byrne in the Times. He wants to talk now to UCD directors. Has an eye for young talent, just what Shels will need.

Poor Student
11/01/2007, 10:32 AM
The press release is possibly the kind of empty sophistic nonsense spouted by Byrne but in light of the Mahon link it makes perfect sense. Doolan destroyed the club structure and youth development at UCD. If they get Mahon he may well help restructure the club and getting it back up and running like UCD. I have no idea what's changed with regards to inability to pay wages though.

Drumcondra Red
11/01/2007, 11:03 AM
Shelbourne will be taking a completely different direction, I suppose Pete Mahon is the man we need, I think an all weather pitch might just be what we need, it'll save money on renting out pitches for underage teams and training, not to mention renting it publicly, not a great statement, but things seem to be going in the right direction however slowly

higgins
11/01/2007, 12:05 PM

stu!!! please stop on about this...

You have no idea whats gone on and as I told you before we put questions to Ollie and we got some answers. Answers that would require some more investigation into the possible share option.

If it ever went ahead we would make sure we are covered for what Ollie has said we are covered for.

You know next to nothing about our delaings so stop trying to paint a picture of SSDG buying Shares for nothing. We have NO shares .........

Dodge
11/01/2007, 12:12 PM
I think an all weather pitch might just be what we need, it'll save money on renting out pitches for underage teams
The senior club doesn't pay any of the schoolboy's bills. They do it themselves through findraising

BohsPartisan
11/01/2007, 12:49 PM
Shels Unvail all weather pitch:

Here! (http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/e/e5/WaterPolo.JPG/800px-WaterPolo.JPG)

dcfcsteve
11/01/2007, 9:03 PM
Shelbourne will be taking a completely different direction, I suppose Pete Mahon is the man we need, I think an all weather pitch might just be what we need, it'll save money on renting out pitches for underage teams and training, not to mention renting it publicly, not a great statement, but things seem to be going in the right direction however slowly

What's the point in a club with extremely serious money problems blowing c. €250,000 on a new playing surface, when they're planning/hoping to move to a new ground at some point in the next 5 years? The payback period for renting one of those pitches out to third parties in a city like Dublin must surely be about 10 years. Ergo - a net loss....

higgins
12/01/2007, 1:06 AM
Theres also a lot of renting shelbourne teams do of their own. They make money by others using it but also get to use it themselves.

I agree that at a time like this it's silly to even think of it....

blackholesun
12/01/2007, 8:26 AM
If going for an all weather pitch pitch is such a money spinner how come Ollie didnt do it years ago? Installing an all weather pitch in a ground that scheduled for demolition is bizarre. This seems to be smoke and mirrors by Ollie, announces a few concessions and hairbrain ideas to the fans to keep them onside. Jeez, jeez should have run him out of the place by now ...

BHS

dcfcsteve
12/01/2007, 9:15 AM
Theres also a lot of renting shelbourne teams do of their own. They make money by others using it but also get to use it themselves.

I agree that at a time like this it's silly to even think of it....

Assuiming they move out of Tolak in 5 years (if they don't, they'll be in serious financial problems, as I can't see them limping beyond that point..) then they'd need to make and/or save the equivalent of about €50,000 a year.

How much do Shels currently pay for underage pitches a year ? Those sorts of pitches aren't that expensive. Also - I'm sure a lot of the underage games occur at the same time - i.e. your U16's, U18's etc all playing at 3pm on a Saturday or Sunday afternoon on different 'home' pitches, for example. They can't all play one the one home pitch at the same time.

Being very, very, liberal with the maths here - if we assume 5 pitches are hired a week for underage teams across 30 weeks of the year (i.e. 10 underage/female teams, with half somehow at home every week across the season - i.e. an underage game every day for up to 5 days of the week !) and then assume it's €100 a game to hire the pitches they currently use, that comes to a maximum total potential saving of €15,000 a year. Again - that assumes that no underage games overlap.

That would leave €35,000 a year needing to be generated from third party renting in order just to break even. Given that the Tolka pitch would be hosting 5 junior games every week, and a senior one at least every fortnight, availability would be tight. Would it therefore be possible to generate €35k a year - €673 each and every week, on top of Shelbourne's own usages - to make it work ? Even with Shamrock Rovers as co-users for all or part of that 5 year period, I think they'd struggle to see this pay out.

And that's before the thorny question of where would the c. €250k needed to install such a pitch come form in the first place ? Any lender would do the maths I've just done and then turn their noses up at it.

pete
12/01/2007, 10:04 AM
And that's before the thorny question of where would the c. €250k needed to install such a pitch come form in the first place ? Any lender would do the maths I've just done and then turn their noses up at it.

Maybe Shels looking for a grant to pay for it as seems that the only way makes any sense. This raises the question of giving a garnt to someone moving location soon.

incident
12/01/2007, 4:41 PM
Maybe Shels looking for a grant to pay for it as seems that the only way makes any sense. This raises the question of giving a garnt to someone moving location soon.
At the time the "Bohs to Diswelltown" stories first came about, there was a question asked in the Dail about repayment of grants if the club subsequently moved on -

From what I can remember, if the club sells up within 10 years of the facility being built, then some of the money has to be repaid to the government. Not sure of the calculation used to calculate how much though.

BohsFans
12/01/2007, 4:57 PM
At the time the "Bohs to Diswelltown" stories first came about, there was a question asked in the Dail about repayment of grants if the club subsequently moved on -

From what I can remember, if the club sells up within 10 years of the facility being built, then some of the money has to be repaid to the government. Not sure of the calculation used to calculate how much though.

That's wrong, not a penny/cent goes back to the Gov.

incident
12/01/2007, 5:02 PM
That's wrong, not a penny/cent goes back to the Gov.

You sure?

http://debates.oireachtas.ie/Xml/29/DAL20060518A.PDF

Question number 139:

One of the requirements of sports capital funding
is that, for accumulated grants of more than
€120,000 a Deed of Covenant and Charge be
invoked. This Deed provides, inter alia, for a
repayment of the grant in the event of the grantaided
property not continuing to be used for the
purpose for which the grant was allocated. The
required Deeds are in place in respect of the
grants awarded to this club.

Can't find a mention of the 10 year limit, but the repayment part is defiantely there..

passerrby
12/01/2007, 5:46 PM
there will be more bounce in the cheque book that in a any new astro pitch

sonofstan
12/01/2007, 5:51 PM
The senior club doesn't pay any of the schoolboy's bills. They do it themselves through findraising

Funds which *allegedly* were dipped into to pay senior team wages last season

DmanDmythDledge
12/01/2007, 5:55 PM
If Shels were to receive a grant it would only cover half of the costs.

stickyjoe
12/01/2007, 10:46 PM
the FAI/government aren`t going to give a grant for a club who openly talk about moving in 2-3 years. Sure it would nearly take that long for the grant to come through