PDA

View Full Version : Beckham leaving Real Madrid.

Pages : [1] 2

osarusan
10/01/2007, 1:34 PM
from the BBC. (http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/europe/6248835.stm)

Who will get him?
How much is he worth?
How good is he?

jebus
10/01/2007, 2:11 PM
I'd say he'll end up in Italy, with Inter, AC or Juventus, next year (I'd say Juventus). He'll cost nothing as he will probably go on a bosman at the end of the season, and he's not very good, but better than most give him credit for :)

Hibs4Ever
10/01/2007, 2:30 PM
Who gives a sh!t

Is he that important to you??

osarusan
10/01/2007, 2:50 PM
Who gives a sh!t

Well, I think it is a pretty interesting development, newsworthy, and this being the World Football forum of a Football website where people exchange their views on football, I thought people might be interested.

Why bother to reply if you dont care about the topic?

FarBeag
10/01/2007, 3:35 PM
According to Sky Sports news he is still in talks with Madrid. Apparently the chairman was misquoted ,so for now he remains at Madrid.

drinkfeckarse
10/01/2007, 3:54 PM
ok we get the point Farbeag ;)

FarBeag
10/01/2007, 4:01 PM
Opps.Just went a bit mad there. Now deleted.

Poor Student
10/01/2007, 8:46 PM
Who gives a sh!t

Stupid post. This is a forum for discussing World Football. Now cop on.

Armando
10/01/2007, 10:03 PM
This is such a non story! Mijatovic is in Italy and is asked: 'Will Beckham be renewing his contract?'. Mijatovic slightly misunderstands the question and replies: 'No....no Beckham has not renewed his contract' - which is true as things stand.

Everyman and his dog knows he has not yet renewed his contract, but because the question was 'will he be renewing' the media jump on this quote knowing full well that Mijatovic meant exactly what he said...and what we already know.

I couldn't believe the coverage this got all day. I saw it on RTE, BBC, UTV and Sky News!

The Legend
10/01/2007, 11:09 PM
I think he should be go and be paid in line with whatever BS image revenue the club gets because as a footballer he is worth nothing.

osarusan
11/01/2007, 12:50 PM
Apologies for jumping the gun on this one...............blame Mijatovic, not me.

anto1208
11/01/2007, 1:05 PM
The money Real get in sponsership from Beckham pays the rest of the players wages !!!

Now is he worth it ? bet your arse he is

osarusan
11/01/2007, 1:23 PM
now reported he will be going to LA Galaxy...................................

Risteard
11/01/2007, 1:33 PM
Ronaldo also on his way. Capello seems to be turning the club in the right direction.

NeilMcD
11/01/2007, 2:03 PM
Graham Hunter was on Newstalk last night and he said that Mijatovic who is the Sporting Director and scorer of the goal in the European Cup Final was not misquoted. He was asked in Italian and he is fluent in Italiand and answered the question honestly that he did not think that the contract would be renewed.

At the moment The President may have to run for re-election has his initial election is under scrutiny at the moment. If he has to run again he will not be able to keep Capello as he is not popular with the fans or media. As a result if he wants to be be president in the event of another election he must sack Capello. This is the only way that Beckham will be at Madrid next year. One or both of Beckham and Capello will leave Madrid but for certain both of them will not be at Madrid. Mijatovic is a supporter of Capello and he was just communicating the view of the sporting side of Madrid that they do not want Beckham at the club. However they may not win the power struggle there.

osarusan
11/01/2007, 2:10 PM
CNN broke into a report on Iraq to report that Beckham has signed for LA Galaxy. Sad on both fronts.

NeilMcD
11/01/2007, 2:20 PM
eckham agrees to LA Galaxy move
David Beckham will leave Real Madrid and join Major League Soccer side LA Galaxy at the end of the season.

The 31-year-old former England captain will sign a five-year deal.

Beckham told Reuters: "This week Real asked me to make a decision regarding my future and the offer to extend my contract for a further two seasons.

"After considering several options to stay in Madrid or join other major British and European teams, I have decided to join LA Galaxy."

Sport Academy: Work on your free-kicks

Beckham left Manchester United in July 2003 to sign for Real, who paid £25m for the midfielder's services.

However, in three-and-a-half seasons, the Spanish giants have failed to win any silverware.

This season has proved particularly disappointing for Beckham, who was dropped by England coach Steve McClaren and struggled to win a place in Real's first team.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/europe/6248835.stm

First
11/01/2007, 2:45 PM
LA Galaxy , has he finally admitted to himself that he can't cut it the highest level
He might as well have gone playing American football as a place kicker.

eirebhoy
11/01/2007, 3:06 PM
Reports (BBC, Sky Sports) say he'll earn $1m a week...:eek:

gustavo
11/01/2007, 3:07 PM
LA Galaxy , has he finally admitted to himself that he can't cut it the highest level

I dont doubt for a second that the man can cut it at the highest level , Only last season he was one of Reals best players , Its a pity he is going to America as that is probably the end of him at the highest level but he's had a good 11 years at that level anyway.

Dodge
11/01/2007, 3:09 PM
That puts him on more than any other sports star in the US (team wise)

Metrostars
11/01/2007, 5:18 PM
LA are paying for his image more than they are for his play. It's all about the media coverage and the publicity leading to the shirts he will sell, more butts in MLS stadiums, higher TV rights etc. Oh yeah, he also plays a bit of footie. Ronaldo will be next (to NY). They will be like the kick in the arse that the NASL got in the 70's when Pele started playing for the NY Cosmos. Except I hope it doesnt lead to the destruction of MLS like the way such spending bankrupted the NASL in the early 80's.

cavan_fan
11/01/2007, 6:35 PM
LA are paying for his image more than they are for his play. It's all about the media coverage and the publicity leading to the shirts he will sell, more butts in MLS stadiums, higher TV rights etc. Oh yeah, he also plays a bit of footie. Ronaldo will be next (to NY). They will be like the kick in the arse that the NASL got in the 70's when Pele started playing for the NY Cosmos. Except I hope it doesnt lead to the destruction of MLS like the way such spending bankrupted the NASL in the early 80's.

The reported salary makes no sense. He'll be earning 4 times more than Ballack. I suspect in the next few days we'll hear the real figure. If Beckham isnt worth 1 milllion euro a week to Real who have entry to the CL and a TV market more profitable than the football one in the US, then he's not worth it to LA.

Dodge
11/01/2007, 6:41 PM
The reported salary makes no sense. He'll be earning 4 times more than Ballack. I suspect in the next few days we'll hear the real figure. If Beckham isnt worth 1 milllion euro a week to Real who have entry to the CL and a TV market more profitable than the football one in the US, then he's not worth it to LA.

But Beckham isn't even the biggest star in Real madrid's midfield. Besides they got their use out of him. If this signing makes ESPN's sportscentre the it'll have been worth it. The salary doesn't matter, MLS are spending $50 million on making sure america knows about "soccer" and trying to make it look like a legitimate league to the europeans living there

shakermaker1982
11/01/2007, 7:17 PM
500 thousand quid a week? Frightening, it really is. To make matters worse he was famous for his missus and his sarongs rather than his abilty/ style of play. Yeah he could take a decent corner and free kick but he was no Zidane, Figo, peak Ronaldo etc etc.

Metrostars
11/01/2007, 7:50 PM
His real salary is $3m a year. The rest are endorsements. Whether he now owns his image rights 100% or if AEG(LA Galaxy owners) owns his image rights is the question.

renovater
11/01/2007, 8:24 PM
we now no who wearing the pants in the the becks house, what vicky wants vicky gets
small lost hope he send us a post card?

Dodge
11/01/2007, 9:40 PM
His real salary is $3m a year. The rest are endorsements. Whether he now owns his image rights 100% or if AEG(LA Galaxy owners) owns his image rights is the question.

Adidias heavily involved too.

http://espn.go.com/
As of 10.45 (or 5.45 New York time, Beckham is the top story on the ESPN website). Job done...

drinkfeckarse
12/01/2007, 7:50 AM
I would've thought that if L.A. are giving him $250m over 5 years then they'll be taking every cent of his image rights. Otherwise it doesn't make sense to be paying that to someone who is over the hill.

I think it's important to remember that every year Beckham gets older then the less endorsments he gets. His star is waning already admittedly this might just be the boost it needs. He's already lost a multi million pound Gillette deal. I would have been shocked if the deal had been worth half of what he got so I hope it's not reckless spending on L.A.'s part.

On a personal level, any respect I had for him is long gone. Using the "I want to make football bigger in America" line is code for "This is the only place that I'm not automatically recognised and it's a massive opertunity for me and Victoria to get into the movies and become global phenomenons".

He had a chance to step back from the limelight and give their kids a semi normal upbringing (the interest would go eventually if they chose to step back) but instead their own ego's got in the way.

No sympathy whatsoever for him and his family for press intrusion and paparazzi etc. They've brought it on themselves with all their attention seeking.

papa-j
12/01/2007, 11:45 AM
You want to sell soccer in America? Vend it like Beckham.

You want to repair the divide between the millions of Americans who play soccer and the thousands who actually watch it? Mend it like Beckham.

You want people to think soccer here will finally become a major sport and live happily ever after? Pretend it like Beckham.

Arguably the world's most famous athlete is coming to work in Los Angeles, but there's something you should know.

David Beckham is not joining the Galaxy as an athlete, but as an advertising campaign. He is coming as soccer swag, a walking Super Bowl commercial, a big-haired billboard.

His job here is not to win, but to give his sport one last chance to work in the biggest place where it doesn't.

His success will be defined not by corner kicks, but by converts.

anto1208
12/01/2007, 12:06 PM

Well at 34 there isnt many that could cut it at the top level .

plus a 5 year deal worth £126 million sterling and going to a country where he will be respected rather than slated all the time might just have tempted him :D

drinkfeckarse
12/01/2007, 12:19 PM
Well at 34 there isnt many that could cut it at the top level .

plus a 5 year deal worth £126 million sterling and going to a country where he will be respected rather than slated all the time might just have tempted him :D

He's 31.

drinkfeckarse
12/01/2007, 12:23 PM
You want to sell soccer in America? Vend it like Beckham.

You want to repair the divide between the millions of Americans who play soccer and the thousands who actually watch it? Mend it like Beckham.

You want people to think soccer here will finally become a major sport and live happily ever after? Pretend it like Beckham.

Arguably the world's most famous athlete is coming to work in Los Angeles, but there's something you should know.

David Beckham is not joining the Galaxy as an athlete, but as an advertising campaign. He is coming as soccer swag, a walking Super Bowl commercial, a big-haired billboard.

His job here is not to win, but to give his sport one last chance to work in the biggest place where it doesn't.

His success will be defined not by corner kicks, but by converts.

Been reading the L.A.Times today pap-j? ;)

papa-j
12/01/2007, 4:35 PM
Been reading the L.A.Times today pap-j? ;)

ya you got me, you did'nt think I wrote that all by myself did you!:eek:

eirebhoy
12/01/2007, 5:36 PM
Just watching the press conference atm. "I realise I'm not recognised as much in the United States but hopefully playing for the Galaxy will change that". I thought it says a lot about Beckham. :) He came across very well in fairness though.

DmanDmythDledge
12/01/2007, 10:28 PM
Sad that football wasn't the main motive behind his move. I would have loved to see him go back to Man Utd- he would have been a big improvement on Fletcher, O'Shea and the likes.

gustavo
12/01/2007, 11:23 PM
Doubt he would go back to Manchester United as long as Fergie was in charge and couldnt see him going to any other English club such was his loyalty to that club . I've always had a lot of respect for him the way he handles himself and his professionalism as a footballer

Den Perry
13/01/2007, 9:33 PM
I would've thought that if L.A. are giving him $250m over 5 years then they'll be taking every cent of his image rights. Otherwise it doesn't make sense to be paying that to someone who is over the hill.

I think it's important to remember that every year Beckham gets older then the less endorsments he gets. His star is waning already admittedly this might just be the boost it needs. He's already lost a multi million pound Gillette deal. I would have been shocked if the deal had been worth half of what he got so I hope it's not reckless spending on L.A.'s part.

On a personal level, any respect I had for him is long gone. Using the "I want to make football bigger in America" line is code for "This is the only place that I'm not automatically recognised and it's a massive opertunity for me and Victoria to get into the movies and become global phenomenons".

He had a chance to step back from the limelight and give their kids a semi normal upbringing (the interest would go eventually if they chose to step back) but instead their own ego's got in the way.

No sympathy whatsoever for him and his family for press intrusion and paparazzi etc. They've brought it on themselves with all their attention seeking.

Couldnt agree more. I usedth ti like the guy, but this is just the pits...just shows he loves the celebrity value more than football....Hope he enjoys his time with that Cruise Tosser....I wonder will he live in compton, seeing as he loves his hip hop so much?

YankExile
14/01/2007, 1:23 AM
Ok, here's what I've been wondering: his Madrid contract expires June 30th. He will be reporting to LA in August. What is he going to be doing in the meantime? If he is free at the end of June, why not report to LA and take full advantage of his celebrity as fast as he can? If it's about needing the time to move, I'm guessing he should have plenty of free time seeing as how Capello has announced DB won't see any playing time till the end of his contract. He will still be obligated to show up at the games I assume but the effort he needs to put into Madrid has been reduced effectively to zero.

DmanDmythDledge
14/01/2007, 8:48 AM
Ok, here's what I've been wondering: his Madrid contract expires June 30th. He will be reporting to LA in August. What is he going to be doing in the meantime? If he is free at the end of June, why not report to LA and take full advantage of his celebrity as fast as he can?
Because he will be on holidays from his job.

If it's about needing the time to move, I'm guessing he should have plenty of free time seeing as how Capello has announced DB won't see any playing time till the end of his contract. He will still be obligated to show up at the games I assume but the effort he needs to put into Madrid has been reduced effectively to zero.
He will still have to show up to first team training.

Surely what Capello is doing has to be in some way illegal. You can hardly just decide not to play a player because they refused a contract.

feo123
14/01/2007, 8:40 PM
why are so many people having a go at him for the amount of money he's getting....jesus lads im sure ye'd take it in his position aswell! if ye were offered to move from one job to another and the new job had a significant increase in wages im sure 90% of people would take the new job....in many ways thats what its like in my opinion! fare play to him....i have upmost respect for david beckham....he has always been my favourite player many lesser players would be gone by now and would have been gone after the summer of 1998 but he didnt let anything get to him and he should be respected for that also!

superfrank
14/01/2007, 8:48 PM
31, well 32 when he gets there, is a perfect age for him to go. It won't be as tough and he'll have plenty to give on the footballing side of things.

A great player. Brilliant crosser, passer and dead ball player. It's the perfect move for him. Loadsa money. Away from the British tabloids. He'll also get to be nearer to his academy thigny in LA.

Best of luck to him.

Metrostars
15/01/2007, 12:09 AM
Ok, here's what I've been wondering: his Madrid contract expires June 30th. He will be reporting to LA in August. What is he going to be doing in the meantime? If he is free at the end of June, why not report to LA and take full advantage of his celebrity as fast as he can? If it's about needing the time to move, I'm guessing he should have plenty of free time seeing as how Capello has announced DB won't see any playing time till the end of his contract. He will still be obligated to show up at the games I assume but the effort he needs to put into Madrid has been reduced effectively to zero.

I think he will probably end up coming sooner after Capello's remarks. Maybe the original intention of him starting in August is because MLS shuts down for about 10 days during July for the all-star break and it would have been a bit start-stop-start. But I think that MLS would want the hype of him being in the all-star game anyway.

Pauro 76
15/01/2007, 8:30 AM
the hilarious thing is he thinks he can get back into the England team if he plays well for Galaxy! Somehow cant see McLaren trekking to LA to catch a game. nothing more than a hype move, although a talented player, shocking waste of money. BUt at least he’ll get to play against Ronnie O”Brien....

NeilMcD
15/01/2007, 9:23 AM
Surely what Capello is doing has to be in some way illegal. You can hardly just decide not to play a player because they refused a contract.

Are you serious.

gustavo
15/01/2007, 11:18 AM
It mightnt be illegal but its very unethical ,.I cant think of any other player that didnt get their game after they annouced they would be leaving the club on a bosman.

NeilMcD
15/01/2007, 11:22 AM
The reason he is not gettting his game is because he does not fit in to the way that Capello wants Madrid to play. That is the coaches decision. I think Capello has won a title at every club he has gone to. I woudl trust Capellos footballing decision on this. He is right to do what he is doing. The reason that Beckham is leaving for La Galaxy is due to the fact that Capello wants him out of the club. Capello is a footballing man, Beckham is a celebrity. There is a difference. For the last 3 yearss Real Madrid has become more celebrity and no football and as a result they have not won anything. Capellow if given the chance will change that. His record speaks for itself.

papa-j
15/01/2007, 3:30 PM
Would anyone agree that Capello has frozen him out because he does not believe that a player who has just signed a $1millon a week contract for a new club next season will give 100% and put his body on the line for the remaining 6 months of his existing contract. Despite Beckhams lip service about his commitment to Real, this must be the ideal scenario for him. A serious injury between now and august would be a major league disaster!!

feo123
15/01/2007, 8:57 PM
IMO beckham always gives 100% reagardless so we shouldn't really question his commitment if he played again this season! he loves football! i think it is very harsh on capello's behalf! capello said he hasn't talked to him since it was announced....a bit childish i think! he should do his job and manage the side instead of not talking to players beacuse there leaving the club...big baby! he also said that beckham signed the contract with galaxy without telling madrid...is that legal?

kingdom hoop
15/01/2007, 8:59 PM
I think he will probably end up coming sooner after Capello's remarks. Maybe the original intention of him starting in August is because MLS shuts down for about 10 days during July for the all-star break and it would have been a bit start-stop-start. But I think that MLS would want the hype of him being in the all-star game anyway.

Does the season over there not start in April? madrid could pay off, say, half his remaining contract now and let him leave so his tan will be in place for the opening game? either that or he will be consigned to teaching the youngsters kicking technique in madrid for the next few months