Long
Stokes
Elliot

gustavo
10/01/2007, 10:11 AM
Wouldnt have Long in it , there are maybe 3 or 4 others ahead of him

Dr. Ogba
10/01/2007, 10:16 AM
Agree, wouldn't have Long in it just yet - stick him in the u21's. I'd say Lee/Morrisson will be in there instead.

Would have Paddy McCarthy in there ahead of O'Brien based on his impressive B showing and also on the fact that he is actually playing some football!

Too soon for Garvan/Clarke? Both should definitely at least be in the u21's at this stage...

FootballsKing
10/01/2007, 10:38 AM
Darren O Dea surely would merit a squad place if he keeps getting in the celtic team the way he is (and scoring the goals he is :D )

bwagner
10/01/2007, 10:44 AM
Actually guys I think ye right .its time for either Mc carthy or O 'Dea, so leave foley out and O brien
I feel its too soon for Garvin but only because od his lonf time out of the game recently.

youngirish
10/01/2007, 10:46 AM
Too soon for Garvan/Clarke? Both should definitely at least be in the u21's at this stage...
I'd defo have Garvan in it instead of A Quinn who's not a regular anymore for Sheffield Utd. Probably Ireland as well though I can't say he deserves a midfield place ahead of any of the others tbh so maybe not.

Also I'd have S Kelly instead of Foley and definitely have O'Dea ahead of that liability A O'Brien. Like to see O'Shea out too (Possibly S Kelly could be brought in for him instead) but unfortunately this won't happen so no point speculating.

NeilMcD
10/01/2007, 10:52 AM
Stephen Kelly will probably be injured.

bwagner
10/01/2007, 10:53 AM
Garvin is quality but we can rush him because of a media frenzy lads :o)
Kelly is out Young irish .....

I feel the usa tour will a major bonus in developing the youth and guys close to a team spot

examples:

Chris Mc cann
Foley
Tabb
Steven Quinn
Mc carthy
Whelan
Garvin
Long . Clarke and stokes.....couple these guys with given duff finnan keane dunne and o shea and we could have a very exciting tour

youngirish
10/01/2007, 11:07 AM
Stephen Kelly will probably be injured.

He should only be out for 3 weeks. Foley is injured at the moment as well.

RogerMilla
10/01/2007, 11:27 AM
far too early for o'dea lads... hopefully he continues as he started.
of course clinton will be in the squad

tblade
10/01/2007, 11:32 AM
What about Daryl Murphy? He's been playing regularly and has scored a few.

Dr. Ogba
10/01/2007, 11:33 AM
Forgot about Glenn Whelan aswell. Playing regularly for a decent Sheffield Wednesday team and supposedly on the form of his life. A goalscoring midfielder is definitely not to be sniffed at....

youngirish
10/01/2007, 11:50 AM
Forgot about Glenn Whelan aswell. Playing regularly for a decent Sheffield Wednesday team and supposedly on the form of his life. A goalscoring midfielder is definitely not to be sniffed at....

Whelan could hardly be described as a goalscoring midfielder. He averages one in about every 12 games for Wednesday.

tetsujin1979
10/01/2007, 11:59 AM
Stan was at the Wednesday - Man City game at the weekend as well

FootballsKing
10/01/2007, 12:07 PM
does anyone think stokes will get playing time against san marino? would he be next in line were Doyle or Keane to get an injury? hell i could even argue for him to be included ahead of Keane if he bags a few goals in the championship which i have no doubt he will!

bwagner
10/01/2007, 12:19 PM
I forgot about about young gibson

I just checked the royal antwerp site

R.Antwerp F.C. 3
-
FCV Dender EH 0

Gibson started and was taken off with 5 mins left

SeanieBoy
10/01/2007, 12:36 PM
I would pick the following team:

Given
Kilbane??
Dunne
McShane
Finnan
Duff
Carsley
A.Reid??
McGeady
Doyle
Stokes

I think we should give Stokes a try against San Marino, but have concerned as to who would play at LB as usual & not sure who should play along side Carsley in the middle.

theworm2345
10/01/2007, 12:40 PM
I would pick the following team:

Given
Kilbane??
Dunne
McShane
Finnan
Duff
Carsley
A.Reid??
McGeady
Doyle
Stokes

I think we should give Stokes a try against San Marino, but have concerned as to who would play at LB as usual & not sure who should play along side Carsley in the middle.
They day Tony Stokes is picked over Robbie Keane is likely the day that Stan gets fired. Keane isnt playing all that great at Spurs, but Staunton wont drop him

FarBeag
10/01/2007, 12:46 PM
Why not stick Geary from Shef utd in at left back. He is the only Irish man playing in this role regularly and is not making a show of himself against the best in the premiership. I am sure he will get away with it against San Marino.:D

Dr. Ogba
10/01/2007, 12:48 PM
Whelan could hardly be described as a goalscoring midfielder. He averages one in about every 12 games for Wednesday.

Really just based that on his performance this season where he has 6 in 19 which aint too bad for a midfielder. Some of his goals have been absolute crackers too!

youngirish
10/01/2007, 1:03 PM
Why not stick Geary from Shef utd in at left back. He is the only Irish man playing in this role regularly and is not making a show of himself against the best in the premiership. I am sure he will get away with it against San Marino.:D

O'Dea can play left back can't he? He looks a better option than Geary who is fairly limited I think (though possibly better than JOS).

FarBeag
10/01/2007, 1:13 PM
O'Dea can play left back can't he? He looks a better option than Geary who is fairly limited I think (though possibly better than JOS).

Maybe he can ,but the few games he has played for Celtic has been at center back. Even if in your opinion Geary is limited he plays in the left back position on a regular basis and is doing well imo.Why can't he do the job at International level at least in the short term?

youngirish
10/01/2007, 1:15 PM
Why can't he do the job at International level at least in the short term?

Maybe he can. JOS won't be missed anyway. I'd just worry for him against the better opposition in the group.

SeanieBoy
10/01/2007, 1:16 PM
They day Tony Stokes is picked over Robbie Keane is likely the day that Stan gets fired. Keane isnt playing all that great at Spurs, but Staunton wont drop him

I see where you are coming from, but it would be a good game to blood Stokes, I'm sure Robbie won't be back to full fitness by the game comes around.

galwayhoop
10/01/2007, 1:27 PM
if stokes is playing regularly and scoring the odd one he should DEFINATELY get his game ahead of Robbie. dropping keane may be better to him - i feel he is living big time on his past achievements at this stage and to let him know there are other options and he's not gods gift should do him no harm.

at the end of the day it's san marino and we should be well capable of beating them with any 11. AFAIK goals against group bottom feeders don't count toward final goal difference in result of teams finishing level on points (open to correction on this) so amount of goals scored in this game isn't that vital - why not 'blood' a youngster.

livehead1
10/01/2007, 2:19 PM
if stokes is playing regularly and scoring the odd one he should DEFINATELY get his game ahead of Robbie. dropping keane may be better to him - i feel he is living big time on his past achievements at this stage and to let him know there are other options and he's not gods gift should do him no harm.

at the end of the day it's san marino and we should be well capable of beating them with any 11. AFAIK goals against group bottom feeders don't count toward final goal difference in result of teams finishing level on points (open to correction on this) so amount of goals scored in this game isn't that vital - why not 'blood' a youngster.

It's not going to happen. Robbie Keane will not be dropped. He was named captain, therefore he will play.

galwayhoop
10/01/2007, 2:29 PM
It's not going to happen. Robbie Keane will not be dropped. He was named captain, therefore he will play.

i agree totally. my point is what i think SHOULD happen not what WILL happen.

what will happen of course is that kilbane, o'shea, o'brien, (a not on form) keane & morrison will be in squad and all, barr o'brien & morrison will definately start regardless of their club form.

cavan_fan
10/01/2007, 3:11 PM
Is there an U21 match that week, if so we should put the likes of Foley in there.

republicofwhite
11/01/2007, 3:35 PM
i agree totally. my point is what i think SHOULD happen not what WILL happen.

what will happen of course is that kilbane, o'shea, o'brien, (a not on form) keane & morrison will be in squad and all, barr o'brien & morrison will definately start regardless of their club form.

Unfortunately this is ridiculously accurate and is exactly whats going to happen. Once again we are dogged by the conservatism of those in charge. We have been led to believe by the man himself that he is building for South Africa, if thats the case I dont see why the likes of Kilbane, O'Brien and Morrison should still be around. They are all on downwrad spirals that dont look like being halted. Personally I think Morrisson is way down behind Elliott, Murohy, Connolly and maybe even Billy Clarke! But he's guaranteed to be in the squad pretty much. He'd probably play ahead of Stokes! The suggestion of Long being included shouldn't be baulked at because he's far more talented than Morrisson, as shown by his goal the other night. He should definitely be in the frame once he gets a bit more game time in the Premiership. Also, Paddy McCarthy is a club cptain while o'Brien cant get a game to save his life. San Marino should be treated as a friendly to blood players and bring lads with a bit of genuine hunger in and put themselves in the frame. The only way we are going to get a result against Wales and Slovakia is if something fresh is gonna be injected into this team, not the way it is at the moment.

cavan_fan
11/01/2007, 5:51 PM
I've just heard of this new guy called Stephen Ward, he's at Wolves now so should be worth a call-up. :)

12/01/2007, 12:30 AM
Unfortunately this is ridiculously accurate and is exactly whats going to happen. Once again we are dogged by the conservatism of those in charge. We have been led to believe by the man himself that he is building for South Africa, if thats the case I dont see why the likes of Kilbane, O'Brien and Morrison should still be around. They are all on downwrad spirals that dont look like being halted. Personally I think Morrisson is way down behind Elliott, Murohy, Connolly and maybe even Billy Clarke! But he's guaranteed to be in the squad pretty much. He'd probably play ahead of Stokes! The suggestion of Long being included shouldn't be baulked at because he's far more talented than Morrisson, as shown by his goal the other night. He should definitely be in the frame once he gets a bit more game time in the Premiership. Also, Paddy McCarthy is a club cptain while o'Brien cant get a game to save his life. San Marino should be treated as a friendly to blood players and bring lads with a bit of genuine hunger in and put themselves in the frame. The only way we are going to get a result against Wales and Slovakia is if something fresh is gonna be injected into this team, not the way it is at the moment.

here here.

ainsie
12/01/2007, 10:21 AM
Team

Me
My Mother
My father
My brother
My son(15 months old)
My wife
My sister
My other sister
My father inlaw
My mother inlaw
My sister in law

Its san Marino for christs sake, the team above should win. I agree with the last poster, use it as an experiment. Try new players, try our future, give a new midfeild combo a chance(we need something in center mid.) But above all dont take it seriously.
Last time Stan did take them seriously and to be honest we did make them look better than they were.

Bring on the newcomers.

DeNiro
12/01/2007, 10:31 AM
Staunton would perceive this blooding young players as a risk - even against San Marino. It's an indicator of how low his confidence is! He needs to clear out the dead wood. As he says 'we're building for 2010,' but he still has the same blocks that Brian Kerr had. He needs to acquire a few more but he doesn't want to do it as far as I see. He's making a liar out of himself anyway because he said this was a trial and error campaign but he still thinks he can qualify. Bizarre.

cavan_fan
12/01/2007, 12:19 PM
If we were to lose against Wales or Slovakia, thus killing off the last of our chances, do you think Stan would then move to a more experimental team?

DeNiro
12/01/2007, 12:58 PM
No, he's too undecided about everything. He doesn't know whether he's coming or going. Hopefully going!

galwayhoop
12/01/2007, 1:06 PM
Team

Me
My Mother
My father
My brother
My son(15 months old)
My wife
My sister
My other sister
My father inlaw
My mother inlaw
My sister in law

i'm not sure about the inclusion of your mother in-law as an out and out striker. i'd much rather see her in a wider position while i think you're father would make an ideal candidate for the holding role in the middle of the park - a-la paul mcgrath's old role. he is wasted as an out and out defender and his influence would be muted againsted opposition of the caliber of San Marino.

BTW i'm surprised your uncle's name didn't come into the fold for the 'gaffers' job last time! :D

Soper
12/01/2007, 1:15 PM
David Forde, Danny Murphy, Stephen Ward, and some young fella called Molloy from Motherwell should be in the squad for sure

SuperDave
12/01/2007, 1:20 PM
here here.

what?

oh, you mean hear, hear, as in using your ears.

yours,

p. dant

republicofwhite
12/01/2007, 1:22 PM
David Forde, Danny Murphy, Stephen Ward, and some young fella called Molloy from Motherwell should be in the squad for sure

Sarcasm?!:confused:

eirebhoy
12/01/2007, 1:41 PM
Can we stop this now?

Soper
12/01/2007, 1:42 PM
I'm entitled to my opinion.I genuinely think they should be in the squad.

eirebhoy
12/01/2007, 1:45 PM
I'm entitled to my opinion.I genuinely think they should be in the squad.
No you don't now stop acting the maggot.

Kingdom
12/01/2007, 2:13 PM
If you were to pick a squad based on game time, fitness, form and ability, I would go for something like this a squad.

Shay Given -
Paddy Kenny -
Shane Supple -

Steve Finnan - (RB)
Kevin Foley (RB)
Richard Dunne - (CB)
Paddy McCarthy -(CB)
Paul McShane - (CB)
Sean St.Ledger -(CB)
Derek Geary -(LB)
Ian Harte (LB)

Andy Reid -
Lee Carsley -
Stephen Hunt -
Kevin Kilbane -
Stephen McPhail -
Stephen Ireland -
Jon Douglas -
Aiden McGeady -

Anthony Stokes -
Kevin Doyle -
Shane Long -
Stephen Elliot
Morrison/Lee

I'm just basing this with the opinion that Duff and Keane are injured, John O'Shea isn't playing for United, and the fact we're playing San Marino the inclusion of some of the less experienced players could stand us well. I haven't forgotten any of the eL contingent but they would be out of season for this match which would stand against them I'm sure. I don;t believe it will matter which of Morrison or Lee is picked.
Based on that squad my team would be this:

Given

Finnan
Dunne
McShane
Harte (purely for attacking and set piece purposes)

McGeady
Carsley
Reid
Hunt/Kilbane

Stokes
Doyle

kingdom hoop
12/01/2007, 4:01 PM
how can you say JOS isnt playing for united when he's played in nearly every game this season? i'd have him in there in front of douglas who it would appear is not helping leeds much. harte has yet to play for levante this season and could be seen as a liability in the open spaces of croker so maybe geary should be given his international bow in a match where we will not be relying on harteys dead ball expertise. the captain should be in the squad to welcome the newcomers! kenny, foley and reid are injured at the moment so bit unfair to exclude duff and keane on the same criterion.
team; 433
Given; Finnan, McShane, Dunne, Geary; Carsley, O'Shea, Reid; Doyle, Keane, McGeady. Playing subs; Hunt,Stokes,Long

DeNiro
13/01/2007, 2:32 PM
Stephen Quinn scored again today. If he keeps going at this rate, surely he's in with a shout?

carloz
13/01/2007, 7:19 PM
Im entrigued that most people claim to be picking squads on recent club form and dont include David Connolly. He has been arguably Sunderlands best player this season and has got much praise from Keane. I think that he has been unlucky in the abuse that he has faced in the future. In the Irish matches where he was poor he was beside Robbie Keane and yet not a word of abuse was sent the way of the golden kid Keane, Connolly received it all

Kingdom
15/01/2007, 5:26 PM
how can you say JOS isnt playing for united when he's played in nearly every game this season? i'd have him in there in front of douglas who it would appear is not helping leeds much. harte has yet to play for levante this season and could be seen as a liability in the open spaces of croker so maybe geary should be given his international bow in a match where we will not be relying on harteys dead ball expertise. the captain should be in the squad to welcome the newcomers! kenny, foley and reid are injured at the moment so bit unfair to exclude duff and keane on the same criterion.
team; 433
Given; Finnan, McShane, Dunne, Geary; Carsley, O'Shea, Reid; Doyle, Keane, McGeady. Playing subs; Hunt,Stokes,Long

Oh I knew I'd have to explain myself. I thought Robbie Keane and Duff were mid-long term injury worries. I don't believe Paddy Kenny, Kevin Foley, or Andy Reid (who played at the weekend) were anything more than a week or so to be out injured, thus making them a different kettle of fish to Duff and Keane.
As for John O'Shea, I don't believe he is starting week in week out for Man Ure, nor do I believe that when he does his form is decent. In fact I can say I've never seen him play well for Ireland and does not merit a place in the team. A personal thing.
As for Geary over Harte, I wouldn't be disappointed. I don't like Harte much. Are there any local Left-fulls we could select? Danny Murphy is a left full isn't he, but he's gone to Motherwell, so if I included him I'd probably be slated.

kingdom hoop
15/01/2007, 8:33 PM
Oh I knew I'd have to explain myself. I thought Robbie Keane and Duff were mid-long term injury worries. I don't believe Paddy Kenny, Kevin Foley, or Andy Reid (who played at the weekend) were anything more than a week or so to be out injured, thus making them a different kettle of fish to Duff and Keane.
As for John O'Shea, I don't believe he is starting week in week out for Man Ure, nor do I believe that when he does his form is decent. In fact I can say I've never seen him play well for Ireland and does not merit a place in the team. A personal thing.
As for Geary over Harte, I wouldn't be disappointed. I don't like Harte much. Are there any local Left-fulls we could select? Danny Murphy is a left full isn't he, but he's gone to Motherwell, so if I included him I'd probably be slated.

Surely you like getting responses to your posts:)

injuries are always a minefield, we could do with a thread to keep us all updated:confused: by the way, robbie came on for spurs yesterday and looked lively..should be rearing to go come san marinio

can we expect any major surprises in the squad given that stan and his men have had a few months to scour the lands, glen whelan... though trying to second guess stan is harder than stale bread

tetsujin1979
15/01/2007, 9:21 PM
can we expect any major surprises in the squad given that stan and his men have had a few months to scour the lands, glen whelan... though trying to second guess stan is harder than stale bread

He was at the Sheffield Wednesday - Man City game in the 3rd round of the cup last week, checking out Whelan allegedly

Fubar
15/01/2007, 9:36 PM
Doyle ruled out with a hamstring injury that he picked up against everton. Stephen Reid also out with a back injury. Accordin 2 physioroom.com Duff wil be back for the game.