PDA

View Full Version : Derry City Hoo Doo

Block G Raptor
09/01/2007, 1:41 PM
A thought just occured to me. are the men in power at the brandywell practicing some kind of Dark Magic. last year cork pip them to the league on the last day and fall apart the following season this year Shels pip them on the last day and they'll be lucky to be in existance come the start of the next season. only hope they dont finish second to bohs next year they'll probably put a spell on dalymount to make it unsuitable for development

Strange Hey?

Red&White
09/01/2007, 1:44 PM
An thought just occured to me. are the men in power at the brandywell practicing some kind of Dark Magic. last year cork pip them to the league on the last day and fall apart the following season this year Shels pip them on the last day and they'll be lucky to be in existance come the start of the next season. only hope they dont finish second to bohs next year they'll probably put a spell on dalymount to make it unsuitable for development

In a word, yes.

Watch out.

Peadar
09/01/2007, 1:45 PM
last year cork pip them to the league on the last day and fall apart the following season...

Completely fell apart! :rolleyes:
It may have slipped your short attention span but we could still, mathematically, have won the league on the last day.
Who cast a spell on Dalymount? Perhaps Derry used their dark magic on Kenny, while he was still in charge at Bohs.

finnpark
09/01/2007, 1:46 PM
only hope they dont finish second to bohs next year they'll probably put a spell on dalymount to make it unsuitable for development

I would say your safe enough. I dont think Derry will finish in the bottom half of the table.:p

Block G Raptor
09/01/2007, 1:48 PM
Completely fell apart! :rolleyes:
It may have slipped your short attention span but we could still, mathematically, have won the league on the last day.

Could have but in reality didn't even make europe. for defending champions thats pretty shyte

dcfcsteve
09/01/2007, 2:09 PM
A thought just occured to me. are the men in power at the brandywell practicing some kind of Dark Magic. last year cork pip them to the league on the last day and fall apart the following season this year Shels pip them on the last day and they'll be lucky to be in existance come the start of the next season. only hope they dont finish second to bohs next year they'll probably put a spell on dalymount to make it unsuitable for development

Strange Hey?

The only black magic at play in such a scenario would be Bohs finishing higher than City in the league, let alone being champions...!

wws
09/01/2007, 2:10 PM
looking forward to a bit of black magic down Inchicore way now with our new signing......

Block G Raptor
09/01/2007, 2:10 PM
The only black magic at play in such a scenario would be Bohs finishing higher than City in the league, let alone being champions...!

Dont be so sure i have it from a good source that we might be coming into a bit of money shortly shhhhhhh! dont tell anyone ;)

dcfcsteve
09/01/2007, 2:17 PM
Dont be so sure i have it from a good source that we might be coming into a bit of money shortly shhhhhhh! dont tell anyone ;)

Good for you's. Why don't you put a €100 note in nets, play 4 x €50 notes at the back, and have a balanced mixture of €5, €10 and €20 Euro notes in the midfield and up-front, to mix pace with strength.

Don't expect to win the league next season by doing anything other than literally buying it....

BohDiddley
09/01/2007, 2:59 PM
Good for you's. Why don't you put a €100 note in nets, play 4 x €50 notes at the back, and have a balanced mixture of €5, €10 and €20 Euro notes in the midfield and up-front, to mix pace with strength.

Don't expect to win the league next season by doing anything other than literally buying it....

See you're getting your excuses in early!
Good to see some forward planning in Irish football at last. :D

dcfcsteve
09/01/2007, 3:13 PM
See you're getting your excuses in early!
Good to see some forward planning in Irish football at last. :D

No excuses at all. Read again what I said....

The only way you'll have the league trophy at the end of 2007 is if you literally go to Merion Square and negotiate a price for it (or pick it up as part of Shelbourne's fire sale ! ). You certainly won't win it on the pitch in O'Connor's first year....

wws
09/01/2007, 3:44 PM
No excuses at all. Read again what I said....

The only way you'll have the league trophy at the end of 2007 is if you literally go to Merion Square and negotiate a price for it (or pick it up as part of Shelbourne's fire sale ! ). You certainly won't win it on the pitch in O'Connor's first year....

yup totally unheard of

Dolan 97
Fenlon anyone got the year?
Kenny

BohsPartisan
10/01/2007, 9:03 AM
We have loads of money. Therefore we have loads of Cocaine (http://www.foot.ie/showthread.php?t=50315). Are we signing Barry Ryan?

green-blood
10/01/2007, 10:10 AM
what money

your draw down is 1.2 mill a year is it not....just about covers the costs (of a manager out of his depth and agang of culchie players)

then you need rezoning out in teh sticks, rezoning of dalynmount, planning permission and the property developer to still get his pound of flesh, there's no 40mill crock of gold yet.

good luck though - seriously.

BohsPartisan
10/01/2007, 10:17 AM
then you need rezoning out in teh sticks, rezoning of dalynmount, planning permission and the property developer to still get his pound of flesh, there's no 40mill crock of gold yet.

No. Once we get the go ahead "in the sticks" we get the money. We don't have to wait for the developer to get his permission. Its all in the deal.

wws
10/01/2007, 10:42 AM
No. Once we get the go ahead "in the sticks" we get the money. We don't have to wait for the developer to get his permission. Its all in the deal.

not having a go but for the record - its true that nothing has been signed and agreed with the developer at this moment - isn't it?

dcfcsteve
10/01/2007, 11:00 AM
yup totally unheard of

Dolan 97
Fenlon anyone got the year?
Kenny

So fcuk ? I'm not saying the concept of winning the league in your first year is unheard of. All I'm saying is that Bohs won't do it next year.

They haven't got a strong enough side to do so, other teams in the league are better than them, O'Connor has proven nothing re his winning capabilities yet, and despte bering 'rich beyond their wildest dreams' they haven't been able to compete with Pats in terms of poaching the lion's share of players from Shels. Plus - I don't believe they have access to the first wedge of this cash yet to buy players anyway.

And for every manager who does win a league in their first season, there's about 100 who don't..... :rolleyes:

wws
10/01/2007, 11:10 AM
So fcuk ? I'm not saying the concept of winning the league in your first year is unheard of. All I'm saying is that Bohs won't do it next year.

They haven't got a strong enough side to do so, other teams in the league are better than them, O'Connor has proven nothing re his winning capabilities yet, and despte bering 'rich beyond their wildest dreams' they haven't been able to compete with Pats in terms of poaching the lion's share of players from Shels. Plus - I don't believe they have access to the first wedge of this cash yet to buy players anyway.

And for every manager who does win a league in their first season, there's about 100 who don't..... :rolleyes:

Im not saying he will - I am saying is that recent trends in the el suggest your most likely to win a league in your first season with a new club - Dolan and Fenlon had achieved less than O Connor as managers when they won the league and were even more unproven in that sense. Bohs have IMO got the better players from shels as I rate Heary as the best EL player of the last few years, by some distance.

Ndo I dont rate.
O'Neill - good - but unproven as "the main man" in a strike partnership.

Bohs will probably bag Crowe and maybe Byrne - so yes - they've done better than us out of the shels implosion.

Drogs will romp home anyway so this is all academic.

dcfcsteve
10/01/2007, 11:22 AM
Im not saying he will - I am saying is that recent trends in the el suggest your most likely to win a league in your first season with a new club -

There are 21/22 clubs in the league, and in an average year up to 10 or so new managers.

At most only 3 trophies are available to any single team - and only 2 league titles. So clearly the likelihood of winning a league in your first season with a new club is much lower than the likelihood that you won't.

WeAreRovers
10/01/2007, 11:50 AM
. So clearly the likelihood of winning a league in your first season with a new club is much lower than the likelihood that you won't.

Unless, of course, you're Pat Scully.

KOH

wws
10/01/2007, 11:52 AM
ok for teh ultra pedantic
I mean a cvlub which will have a top 4 budget
bohs will have that budget
they've had it WITHOUT the land deal
its likely to increase

dolan had it at pats
fenlon at shels
rico at cork

I'd be wary of OConors Bohs to be honest - theres no better manager than money and a guy who can talk things up

dcfcsteve
10/01/2007, 11:56 AM
Unless, of course, you're Pat Scully.

KOH

....and in a rubbish division......! :D ;)

dcfcsteve
10/01/2007, 12:00 PM
ok for teh ultra pedantic
I mean a cvlub which will have a top 4 budget
bohs will have that budget
they've had it WITHOUT the land deal
its likely to increase

dolan had it at pats
fenlon at shels
rico at cork

I'd be wary of OConors Bohs to be honest - theres no better manager than money and a guy who can talk things up

Fair point.

I agree with you though that Drogs are looking good for this season. Doolin's had 2 years to bed-down, they've got the money, his squad is decent, and they've had that taste of silverware for the last 2 seasons on-the-trot to drive them on.

If they start 2007 the way they finished 2006, they'll be more than a match for anyone.Though I don't think they'll retain the Setanta this year.

WeAreRovers
10/01/2007, 12:19 PM
....and in a rubbish division......! :D ;)

I applaud the brevity of this post. New policy Steve?

KOH

dcfcsteve
10/01/2007, 12:24 PM
I applaud the brevity of this post. New policy Steve?

KOH

Some things can be accurately conveyed in very few words.

The above being a classic example...

:)

BohDiddley
10/01/2007, 1:19 PM
I don't think anyone at Bohs is predicting a league win this season. We have a long way to travel from last year's fiasco. But Connor is quietly busy building the team, and Heary is, apparently, already in the bag.
Here's a speculative lineout lifted from thebohs.com:
Murphy
Heary Burns Maher Powell
Joxer Hunt Turner/Heary Singh/Ward
Fenn Crowe

Subs
Rossiter
Ferguson
Harkin
Mansaram
Turner/Heary

That doesn't include Conor Downey, who apparently will be bid for this week, though that might depend on whether Wardie goes to Wolves or Birmingham.

It might take time to gel, but that squad hardly will be automatically second best to Drogheda.

WeAreRovers
10/01/2007, 1:29 PM
The above being a classic example...

Cheers. ;)

KOH

BohsPartisan
10/01/2007, 1:39 PM
I don't think I'd be flying in the face of reason in saying that third place is a reasonable aspiration for us in the coming season.

BohsFans
10/01/2007, 1:51 PM
your draw down is 1.2 mill a year is it not

what draw?

passinginterest
10/01/2007, 2:45 PM
I don't think anyone at Bohs is predicting a league win this season. We have a long way to travel from last year's fiasco. But Connor is quietly busy building the team, and Heary is, apparently, already in the bag.
Murphy
Heary Burns Maher Powell
Fenn Crowe

Subs
Rossiter
Ferguson
Harkin
Mansaram
Turner/Heary

What happened to Steven Rice? He had a poor enough season last year but was player of the year season before. With new full backs coming in he'll be free to play in his preferred centre midfield position.

Schumi
10/01/2007, 4:00 PM
O'Neill - good - but unproven as "the main man" in a strike partnership.
Did well with Home Farm in fairness, he was practically the whole team there!

OneRedArmy
10/01/2007, 4:08 PM
Murphy
Heary Burns Maher Powell
Fenn CroweAre you getting the penalty areas specially reinforced to accomodate that striking pair, or considering moving Burdocks even closer to the pitch for in-game snacking?

I somehow don't think you'll be playing balls in behind the back four for them to run onto....

BohDiddley
10/01/2007, 4:20 PM
What happened to Steven Rice? He had a poor enough season last year but was player of the year season before. With new full backs coming in he'll be free to play in his preferred centre midfield position.
Ricer's still there -- that is just a speculative line-up. IMO he's better than he's given credit for.

BohsFans
10/01/2007, 6:02 PM
IMO he's better than he's given credit for.

:eek:

I don't see you admitting to that on our mb ;)

BohDiddley
10/01/2007, 6:31 PM
I don't see you admitting to that on our mb ;)

I gave up defending players there long ago (I think it was after I made a few arguments in favour of Robbie Doyle :eek: ) :D

pineapple stu
10/01/2007, 6:34 PM
your draw down is 1.2 mill a year is it not
Eh...that'd be in addition to their standard income from gate receipts, sponsorship and all the other stuff a club tides over with.

They're basically getting an extra E1.2m (assuming that's the correct figure) over and above what was already one of the bigger budgets in the league in the first place.

The Stars
10/01/2007, 6:59 PM
Murphy
Heary Burns Maher Powell
Fenn Crowe

Subs
Rossiter
Ferguson
Harkin
Mansaram
Turner/Heary

dont think ye will be getting Turner,but if ye do he will be starting,as will Mansaram,im sure of that