PDA

View Full Version : U-21's in Cork, again

Neil
24/11/2002, 12:42 PM
I saw Don Givens say somewhere recently that he's looking forward to getting back to working with the U-21's and that their next game is in Cork against Norn Iron in February. Anyone know more?

Real ale Madrid
24/11/2002, 6:26 PM
IMo they should base the U-21 side in Cork as that's where thay would get the biggest crowds. I'm severly biased in that, but I saw the Game in Kilkenny on Sky and there was only 3,000 or so there and youd get at least 6/7000 at the cross.

Don't know anything about norn iron game though.

eoinh
24/11/2002, 6:33 PM
Originally posted by Neil
I saw Don Givens say somewhere recently that he's looking forward to getting back to working with the U-21's and that their next game is in Cork against Norn Iron in February. Anyone know more?

i read that in the irish times too. Although he said "i think, its in Cork". O Flynn will be a bit out of shape though - close season.

The Money Man
25/11/2002, 8:51 AM
Originally posted by Real ale Madrid
I'm severly biased in that, but I saw the Game in Kilkenny on Sky and there was only 3,000 or so there

The point about attendance is well made. The fellas should be able to expect a decent turn out wherever they play. However, in the interests of the game's development, I think its important to play underage internationals around the country.

pete
25/11/2002, 10:29 AM
It is not possible under uefa rules to play competitive u-21 internationals in Cork. u-21 games can only be something like 100miles or so away from the venue of the senior international. I think they stretched it once to play in Waterford though cos the opposition did not object.

Éanna
25/11/2002, 10:33 AM
I think if the other team agrees, it´s ok, so it is feasible, just requires the FAI to actually lean on the opposition FA a bit

eoinh
25/11/2002, 10:38 AM
it should really be based on how long it takes to get to the venue. Say an hour and a half, then you could fly them down.

Real ale Madrid
28/11/2002, 2:54 PM
See on fai.ie that the U-21's are playing Scotland away now and the Norn Iron match is off because they are playing Finland the same day

The Money Man
28/11/2002, 9:47 PM
Originally posted by Real ale Madrid
See on fai.ie that the U-21's are playing Scotland away now and the Norn Iron match is off because they are playing Finland the same day

Organisiational genius exemplified again.