PDA

View Full Version : Cork selling themselves short again?

Pages : [1] 2

BrayUnknowns
09/01/2007, 11:40 AM
Ipswich Town have had a £70,000 offer for midfielder George O’Callaghan accepted by eircom League side Cork City, according to local media reports in England. More (http://www.eleven-a-side.com/acrossthewater/irish_soccer_detail.asp?newsid=25976)

jebus
09/01/2007, 11:43 AM
I thought this was going to be a thread about how Cork should not just settle on being the capital of Ireland, but should demand that they become the new capital of the EU, can't let those damn Belgians get away with undermining Cork forever you know

BrayUnknowns
09/01/2007, 11:48 AM
I forgot to mention that to.......

wws
09/01/2007, 11:48 AM
This makes the Trevor Molloy(30) deal look like the best bit of business ever transacted by an Irish club

BrayUnknowns
09/01/2007, 12:00 PM
Your having a laugh right ? Bray got €75k for a 3 month loan deal when Zayed went to Norway

green-blood
09/01/2007, 12:03 PM
100grand plus for aplayer you dont want with not that much left on his contract - good deal

wws
09/01/2007, 12:04 PM
zayed was a youngfella

and how much did Devlin pocket?!?!

dcfcsteve
09/01/2007, 12:10 PM
Ipswich undoubtedly knew that Cork were stuck with a player they wanted shot of.

In light of that, it could've been worse.

Good riddens to him. Will be interesting to see if he does anything in England.

Poor Student
09/01/2007, 12:11 PM
Cork have little choice, the situation between O'Callaghan and Rico is untenable and they want rid of him and everyone knows it. They're playing hardball with O'Donovan where they can so I don't think there's any need to lambast them.

joeSoap
09/01/2007, 12:14 PM
Delighted for Georgie. Great opportunity for him. He's had a tough time of it for varying reasons over the past 18 months or so, and this is a chance for him to make a clean start. Theres no doubting he's got the talent.

To hell with the begrudgers.....:ball:

dcfcsteve
09/01/2007, 12:19 PM
Have just seen the bit about Dunfermline in the article.

Surprised to hear Kenny is after Bad Boy George as well.

I do wonder whetehr Cork could've held out for a little bit more though. Ipswich were obviously keen.

dcfcsteve
09/01/2007, 12:21 PM
Delighted for Georgie. Great opportunity for him. He's had a tough time of it for varying reasons over the past 18 months or so, and this is a chance for him to make a clean start. Theres no doubting he's got the talent.

To hell with the begrudgers.....:ball:

Yeah go on George, ya drink driving thuggish legend ya ! Feck the begrudgers - the world needs more people with that kind of talent....! :rolleyes:

BrayUnknowns
09/01/2007, 12:36 PM
zayed was a youngfella

and how much did Devlin pocket?!?!

That was how much Bray got out of the deal.

Gorgie is one of the better players in our league, he is a gifted player no doubting that ! But i feel Cork are still selling themselves short

joeSoap
09/01/2007, 12:41 PM
Yeah go on George, ya drink driving thuggish legend ya ! Feck the begrudgers - the world needs more people with that kind of talent....! :rolleyes:Yeah...just like it needs bigoted, narrow minded arseholes that never put a foot wrong themselves....

Tenderloins
09/01/2007, 12:42 PM
Cork get rid of Georges high wages, they could have been stuck with him for another 5 or 6 months until the transfer window opens again.
He must surely be an unsettling element in the Cork squad too.
So to hold out and try to get a decent fee for him would have been a risk.
I'm sure Cork will have some % of future sales in the transfer too.

Still his fee must surely be one of the highest recieved by an EL team for a player?

pete
09/01/2007, 12:50 PM
Gorgie is one of the better players in our league, he is a gifted player no doubting that ! But i feel Cork are still selling themselves short

IMO £70k would be a good deal at this stage. No need to go back over what has happened but our Chairman has backed his manager so George won't play for City again. He has a year left in his contract & CCFC do not want to seel to another eL club.

If you are unable to offer a different solution I can only view this as trolling...

Colm
09/01/2007, 12:59 PM
Yeah go on George, ya drink driving thuggish legend ya ! Feck the begrudgers - the world needs more people with that kind of talent....! :rolleyes:

:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

You're very bitter aren't ya!
Don't talk about things you haven't a clue about.

dcfcsteve
09/01/2007, 1:02 PM
Yeah...just like it needs bigoted, narrow minded arseholes that never put a foot wrong themselves....

I'd rather be a "bigoted, narrow-minded arsehole" than a convicted drink-driver, thank you.

I suppose wife-beating is just 'putting a foot wrong' for you as well...? :rolleyes:

dcfcsteve
09/01/2007, 1:03 PM
:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

You're very bitter aren't ya!
Don't talk about things you haven't a clue about.

Bitter about what ?!?! :confused: Did George nick my pint or something...?

And are you denying that George got pulled-up for drink driving ?

Peadar
09/01/2007, 1:07 PM
This makes the Trevor Molloy(30) deal look like the best bit of business ever transacted by an Irish club

The sale of Molloy ranks up there with the genius decision that saw Arsenal pocket £2m for Pascal Cygan!

Hope the Georgie saga can be concluded now.

Colm
09/01/2007, 1:12 PM
Bitter about what ?!?! :confused: Did George nick my pint or something...?

And are you denying that George got pulled-up for drink driving ?

You are clearly jealous of The King! Don't worry about it, a lot of people are!

dcfcsteve
09/01/2007, 1:15 PM
You are clearly jealous of The King! Don't worry about it, a lot of people are!

And you're clearly an idiot if that's what you think !

I wish I could've got nabbed drink-driving, fallen out with my Manager and club, not been able to ply my trade for ages, had to move country, and then finally found a new employer to buy me on the cheap almost 9mths later. Soooo much to be jealous of...

:rolleyes:

Colm
09/01/2007, 1:25 PM
And you're clearly an idiot if that's what you think !

I wish I could've got nabbed drink-driving, fallen out with my Manager and club, not been able to ply my trade for ages, had to move country, and then finally found a new employer to buy me on the cheap almost 9mths later. Soooo much to be jealous of...

Its good to see you have such apprieciation for The King!

coislaoi
09/01/2007, 1:54 PM
Cork have little choice, the situation between O'Callaghan and Rico is untenable and they want rid of him and everyone knows it. They're playing hardball with O'Donovan where they can so I don't think there's any need to lambast them.

Your response is far too sensible. Maybe we'll let the unknown bray tell us what Cork City could have done differently in the circumstances. The factors going against are:

1. He fell out with Rico AND Dolan before that (he also fell out with the Port Vale manager which is why he came back to Cork).
2. Ipswich know we are desperate to get rid of him (off the wage book and away from Rico)
3. His contract is coming to an end.

References to his off-the-field "activities" are un-called for (we could all start throwing that dirt around). I know fans from other clubs didn't like him but that made us love him all the more!! He was, unquestionably, one of the most talented players in the Eircom League and the league will be poorer without him.

Ambaiste!
09/01/2007, 2:04 PM
Statement on the official Cork City site saying that an offer was rejected last week, and that no further offer has been received, contrary to today's rumours

www.corkcityfc.ie

wws
09/01/2007, 2:06 PM
Your response is far too sensible. Maybe we'll let the unknown bray tell us what Cork City could have done differently in the circumstances. The factors going against are:

1. He fell out with Rico AND Dolan before that (he also fell out with the Port Vale manager which is why he came back to Cork).
2. Ipswich know we are desperate to get rid of him (off the wage book and away from Rico)
3. His contract is coming to an end.

References to his off-the-field "activities" are un-called for (we could all start throwing that dirt around). I know fans from other clubs didn't like him but that made us love him all the more!! He was, unquestionably, one the most talented players in the Eircom League and the league will be poorer without him.

I'd rate him above Joe Ndo, Below Stew Angry Byrne

razor
09/01/2007, 2:15 PM
He like his mentor Dolan messed our club about.
Lennox did the honourable thing and paid his wages.
He is a talented player but his overexalted opinion of himself, fuelled mainly by the Ocaliban*, caused him to believe the hype.
George played the card that he was City through and through, while issuing a statement through his solicitor on the eve of a Champions League tie.

Off the field he has his problems, I hope he can overcome them.

George is gone, only like George I can't say i'm "gutted".

And if he ever darkens Cork Citys door again he'll get the welcome he deserves. I'm not alone in this opinion.

*People who refer to him as the King when in fact he's not fit to lace Dave Barrys boots

BrayUnknowns
09/01/2007, 2:19 PM
IMO £70k would be a good deal at this stage. No need to go back over what has happened but our Chairman has backed his manager so George won't play for City again. He has a year left in his contract & CCFC do not want to seel to another eL club.

If you are unable to offer a different solution I can only view this as trolling...

Would you ever go and S*ite ! i'm giving a point of view that i think Cork could be able to get a higher fee for him, how in the name of god is that trolling ?

So if Bohs offered €100,000 Cork would turn it down over Ipwich's offer ? I'm delighted Cork have turned down the offer because the player is worth more than that even if he does have only 1 year left on his contract, bout time Irish teams got there act together on this subject.

Colm
09/01/2007, 2:19 PM
He is a talented player but his overexalted opinion of himself, fuelled mainly by the Ocaliban*, caused him to believe the hype.
George played the card that he was City through and through, while issuing a statement through his solicitor on the eve of a Champions League tie.

And if he ever darkens Cork Citys door again he'll get the welcome he deserves. I'm not alone in this opinion.

*People who refer to him as the King when in fact he's not fit to lace Dave Barrys boots

A word of warning to those reading this post.....
Razor has always had a major problem with Georgie, haven't a clue why but he has!

BohsFans
09/01/2007, 2:20 PM
I can only view this as trolling...

Why are the corkies so paranoid?

Peadar
09/01/2007, 2:22 PM
Why are the corkies so paranoid?

The heady nights in Sir Henry's, back in the 90's, are catching up with us...

galwayhoop
09/01/2007, 2:25 PM
So if Bohs offered €100,000 Cork would turn it down over Ipwich's offer ?.

i should think so as £70,000 is worth about €105,000. why would they sacrafice the 5 grand :D :D

wws
09/01/2007, 2:28 PM
i should think so as £70,000 is worth about €105,000. why would they sacrafice the 5 grand :D :D

and put the 5,000 saving on a Drogs to win the league and Ocallaghan to fall out with the ipswich boss double

he's a shrewd operator that Lennox Lewis

dcfcsteve
09/01/2007, 2:32 PM
A word of warning to those reading this post.....
Razor has always had a major problem with Georgie, haven't a clue why but he has!

A word of warning to those reading this post....
Colm has aways had a major crush on Georgie, haven't a clue why but he has!

razor
09/01/2007, 2:49 PM
Attitude, Colm, its all about attitude, In fact we know a poem about that, don't we ?......

A word of warning to those reading this post....
Colm has aways had a major crush on Georgie, haven't a clue why but he has!Hope Dolan isn't reading (pardon the pun) this, he'll be "gutted"

micls
09/01/2007, 3:10 PM
City have not accepted any offer from Ipswich. The last offer received was for 50k and Lennox said he found this disrespectful

michaelguineys
09/01/2007, 3:18 PM

One of the most sensible posts ive read n a long time.
Agree 100%.
The "O'Caliban" would want to cop onto the fact that George O Callaghan does not give a ha'penny f**k about Cork City Football Club and the sooner he is gone the better. He is a very disruptive influence on the team and i can tell you that not too many players have much time for him anymore, especially after his boasting that QUOTE "You have to get up in the morning and go training, I can go on the p*ss tomorrow and still get paid by city"
Nice one George.
Long Live the king my hole

Rebel 84
09/01/2007, 4:19 PM

Best comment I've seen on this whole mess.

In fact he comes nowhere near TRUE City Legends........

Barry,Freyne,Caulfield,Daly,Harrington'Morley etc..etc.......etc.....

These guys and a lot less talented players were City through and through.Sad really that Georgie only always thought about George and not what the club had done to rescue his career.

Wonder will he come crawling back Home again when it all goes horribly wrong?:mad:

pete
09/01/2007, 5:10 PM

Thats the Pat Devlin school of football economics... A bit for the player, bit for the club & a bit for myself... :cool:

dynamo kerry
09/01/2007, 5:20 PM
The heady nights in Sir Henry's, back in the 90's, are catching up with us...

you too? ;)

no disrespect to anyone but it's for the best.

if only they can pick up 2 or 3 other players now who want to come home- it's been a couple of years since cork had a coup in a returning player

rebs23
09/01/2007, 11:12 PM
, fuelled mainly by the Ocaliban*, caused him to believe the hype.

Thats my post of the month! :)

A face
09/01/2007, 11:50 PM
Thats my post of the month! :)

And its true ..... to this day his attitude is something that should be emulated. A real professional in a period where our club was very much amateur. Him and those like him defined professionalism where some players these days can only claim its one of their characteristics.

This situation exactly sums it up.

SÓC
10/01/2007, 12:48 AM
Thanks for the memories George, hopefully it can be sorted for good. As George said himself...

...I hopes ye wins like...

Superhoops
10/01/2007, 7:12 PM
Thats the Pat Devlin school of football economics... A bit for the player, bit for the club & a bit for myself... :cool:

And the problem with that is.....?

A face
10/01/2007, 7:33 PM
And the problem with that is.....?

The problem? its ethical, he is compromised by being in the position he is in.

Superhoops
10/01/2007, 8:01 PM
The problem? its ethical, he is compromised by being in the position he is in.

Face, you have Devlin on the brain!!!!! Forget Devlin.

When a player is transferred, what is wrong with the selling club, the player and his agent/advisor all benefitting?

Student Mullet
10/01/2007, 8:08 PM
When a player is transferred, what is wrong with the selling club, the player and his agent/advisor all benefitting?The problem is that it presents a conflict of interests if the agent/advisor is also his manager.

The manager's job is to get the best deal for the club. The agent/advisor aims to get a slice of the cake for himself, which could be to the disadvantage of the club. This is why it is against FIFA rules for a manager to also act as an agent/advisor. A rule which Ireland's B manager is breaking.

Superhoops
10/01/2007, 8:13 PM
The problem is that it presents a conflict of interests if the agent/advisor is also his manager.

The manager's job is to get the best deal for the club. The agent/advisor aims to get a slice of the cake for himself, which could be to the disadvantage of the club. This is why it is against FIFA rules for a manager to also act as an agent/advisor. A rule which Ireland's B manager is breaking.
Why has he not been taken to task by FIFA, UEFA, or the club he has disadvantaged if he is breaking these FIFA rules (which can only be Bray!).

pete
10/01/2007, 8:49 PM
Why has he not been taken to task by FIFA, UEFA, or the club he has disadvantaged if he is breaking these FIFA rules (which can only be Bray!).

Would Alex Ferguson be allowed to be Frank Lampards agent?

Devlin was Jason Byrnes agent while he was manager of Bray.

In Devlins case the FAI have blinkers on & do care. Theres been many instances where the FAI have failed to follow FIFA rules & guidelines.

Superhoops
10/01/2007, 9:05 PM
Would Alex Ferguson be allowed to be Frank Lampards agent?

Devlin was Jason Byrnes agent while he was manager of Bray.

In Devlins case the FAI have blinkers on & do care. Theres been many instances where the FAI have failed to follow FIFA rules & guidelines.
Devlin has never been an agent. He is not and never has been licenced as such - fact.

Did it ever occur to you that in Jason Byrne's case and in Eamon Zayeed's case that Devlin was acting in Bray's best financial interests. Make no mistake about it, Zayeed's loan and transfer were great business for Bray, (much better than Kevin Doyle's transfer from Cork). If Devlin did make a few quid out of it for himself, so what. Bray's financial interests were not compromised.

Even if the FAI have failed to follow FIFA rules and guidelines, why have not FIFA, as the governing body, enforced their own rules if, as you allege, there is such clear breaches of their rules?