PDA

View Full Version : Donegal Celtic

Pages : [1] 2

Lim till i die
08/01/2007, 4:01 PM
Genuine question here not trying to stir anything but would it be fair to say they haven't attracted the Sell-Thick knuckle dragging brigade many were expecting??

Their crowds on Final Score from Northern Ireland look pathetic. There was one game away to Glentoran where it looked like they brought no more than 50 fans. I was expecting to see Green and White hoops everywhere. :confused:

Also is that grassy/wooden/galvinised thingy actually their home ground :eek:

David
08/01/2007, 4:36 PM
Genuine question here not trying to stir anything but would it be fair to say they haven't attracted the Sell-Thick knuckle dragging brigade many were expecting??

Their crowds on Final Score from Northern Ireland look pathetic. There was one game away to Glentoran where it looked like they brought no more than 50 fans. I was expecting to see Green and White hoops everywhere. :confused:

They haven't seemed to get the dodgy crowd as yet although a visit to Windsor in a few months may bring some out of the woodwork. And yes that is their ground, and believe me it is even worse than it looks, particularly the away end.

BohsPartisan
08/01/2007, 4:57 PM
Whats the story with DC? Why Donegal? What am I missing?

Mr A
08/01/2007, 7:04 PM
A load of the streets in the area of West Belfast from which they are from have the names of Towns in Donegal, hence their name.

Mr A
08/01/2007, 7:40 PM
More on this here (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Donegal_Celtic) and here (http://www.irishleagueforums.net/forums/showthread.php?t=77960)

Johnnie C
15/01/2007, 2:30 AM

Their crowds on Final Score from Northern Ireland look pathetic. There was one game away to Glentoran where it looked like they brought no more than 50 fans. I was expecting to see Green and White hoops everywhere.

Also is that grassy/wooden/galvinised thingy actually their home ground

You don't do irony then ?

How many Munchthur jersies were to be seen amongst the 200 odd on a Friday evening at Hogan Park during the past season ? :rolleyes:

Monkfish
15/01/2007, 4:32 AM
you'd be lucky to see one (honestly) and it was more like 300 :)

Lim till i die
18/01/2007, 11:19 AM
You don't do irony then ?

How many Munchthur jersies were to be seen amongst the 200 odd on a Friday evening at Hogan Park during the past season ?

Munster fans at a game of associanist football?? :eek:

In the rain??

In Rathbane?? :eek:

Get Real :rolleyes:

old git
18/01/2007, 11:39 AM

r u for real.. a bit much to be having a pop at another team
with the current situation with limerick... no permanent ground for how many years.. and the support you would get more at pike rovers on a sunday :D :

Lim till i die
18/01/2007, 11:46 AM
r u for real.. a bit much to be having a pop at another team
with the current situation with limerick... no permanent ground for how many years.. and the support you would get more at pike rovers on a sunday :D :

Where am I having a pop??

Being unfamiliar with the Northern League I asked some questions to which I hoped to get some intelligent insightful answers.

It was going fine until a few genius' like yourself came on missing the point entirely. :rolleyes:

Oh ya and attempting humour. That joke you made about Pike, an absolute classic. Have a gold star, but don't put it in your mouth or your ear or anything now :rolleyes:

old git
18/01/2007, 2:15 PM
Where am I having a pop??

Being unfamiliar with the Northern League I asked some questions to which I hoped to get some intelligent insightful answers.

It was going fine until a few genius' like yourself came on missing the point entirely. :rolleyes:

Oh ya and attempting humour. That joke you made about Pike, an absolute classic. Have a gold star, but don't put it in your mouth or your ear or anything now :rolleyes:

having a pop... sell thick knuckle dragging supporters .. ? grassy / wooden / galvanised thinghy.. !!! only 50 supporters at match ..!!
apologies if i took you up wrong... !!! and see how easy it is to upset someone when you make a few comments about their club :eek:

old git
19/01/2007, 8:26 AM
They haven't seemed to get the dodgy crowd as yet although a visit to Windsor in a few months may bring some out of the woodwork. And yes that is their ground, and believe me it is even worse than it looks, particularly the away end.

the dodgy crowd yet... (donegal celtic )

what happened the last time they played at windsor park cup match against linfield a good few years ago.. one of their players was attacked on the pitch during the match by a so called linfield fan

and not so long ago glentoran / linfield fans had a mini riot after cup final ... so lets be honest here yes i'm sure donegal celtic will bring some dodgy crowd ( not their genuine fans ) but lets not forget all the other teams in league who have a hell of a lot more dodgy crowds following them for years & still following them :eek: :eek:

David
19/01/2007, 9:46 AM
the dodgy crowd yet... (donegal celtic )

what happened the last time they played at windsor park cup match against linfield a good few years ago.. one of their players was attacked on the pitch during the match by a so called linfield fan

and not so long ago glentoran / linfield fans had a mini riot after cup final ... so lets be honest here yes i'm sure donegal celtic will bring some dodgy crowd ( not their genuine fans ) but lets not forget all the other teams in league who have a hell of a lot more dodgy crowds following them for years & still following them :eek: :eek:

Calm down there, nobody is denying that other teams have their problems. Check the initial post on the thread, that is what I was replying to. It was not a questioon about Linfield or glentoran fans, it was about Donegal Celtic fans. That's why I came back with a response about Donegal Celtic fans. Also your memory of the game in 1990 seems very selective there. You remember one incident from so much that happened that day.

old git
19/01/2007, 2:08 PM
Calm down there, nobody is denying that other teams have their problems. Check the initial post on the thread, that is what I was replying to. It was not a questioon about Linfield or glentoran fans, it was about Donegal Celtic fans. That's why I came back with a response about Donegal Celtic fans. Also your memory of the game in 1990 seems very selective there. You remember one incident from so much that happened that day.

fair enough it was about donegal celtic fans .. but you could have also mentioned other teams have / had the same problems with supporters .. ,, so much happened in 1990 i know ... but lets face it a supporter from any team getting attacked on any pitch is very hard to forget,, thankfully it was in the past .. and we all hope that it never happens again .. and it looks like football in northern ireland moving on.. :D

Lux Interior
19/01/2007, 3:56 PM
but lets not forget all the other teams in league who have a hell of a lot more dodgy crowds following them for years & still following them :eek: :eek:

"Dodgy crowds" following teams all over Ireland, gitser, just in case you were about to mount a high horse.

:)

old git
19/01/2007, 4:48 PM
"Dodgy crowds" following teams all over Ireland, gitser, just in case you were about to mount a high horse.

:)

i know plenty of them down here in southern ireland ... particulary dodgy around dublin area .. one day hopefully they will all get fed up with causing hassle :confused: :confused:

David
22/01/2007, 6:59 AM
fair enough it was about donegal celtic fans .. but you could have also mentioned other teams have / had the same problems with supporters .. ,, so much happened in 1990 i know ... but lets face it a supporter from any team getting attacked on any pitch is very hard to forget,, thankfully it was in the past .. and we all hope that it never happens again .. and it looks like football in northern ireland moving on.. :D

Personally the abiding memory for me that day was the full scale riot on the Spion Kop with the police having to fire plastic bullets to control the crowd not Brendan Tully getting a bit of a kick in the arse and going down as if he had been hit by one of the plastic bullets. Not condoning that attack in any way but it is one of the most blown up incidents that I have ever seen in football.

Mr_Parker
22/01/2007, 3:11 PM
Personally the abiding memory for me that day was the full scale riot on the Spion Kop with the police having to fire plastic

The reaction of the RUC that day was way OTT. There was no need to fire plastics indiscrimately into the crowd failing to follow the rules set for the use of plastic bullets.

David
22/01/2007, 3:13 PM
The reaction of the RUC that day was way OTT. There was no need to fire plastics indiscrimately into the crowd failing to follow the rules set for the use of plastic bullets.

There was no need for people to turn up in their thousands for an excuse to attack the police. If you are breaking the law, regardless of what team they were supposedly supporting that day then they deserved all they got.

Mr_Parker
22/01/2007, 9:03 PM
There was no need for people to turn up in their thousands for an excuse to attack the police. If you are breaking the law, regardless of what team they were supposedly supporting that day then they deserved all they got.

You seem happy that they acted illegally? I was there. Iwas not involved in the trouble. Was it ok for them to fire them at me or the thousands of others not involved in the trouble? Or maybe cracking a few innocent heads open too with batons was all right?

David
23/01/2007, 6:50 AM
You seem happy that they acted illegally? I was there. Iwas not involved in the trouble. Was it ok for them to fire them at me or the thousands of others not involved in the trouble? Or maybe cracking a few innocent heads open too with batons was all right?

Call me cynical but I have to wonder why thousands turned up in the first place. DC at the time had a following of two men and a dog and all of a sudden they had a support of thousands because they were playing Linfield. Had Cliftonville no game that day?

Mr_Parker
24/01/2007, 12:52 PM
Call me cynical but I have to wonder why thousands turned up in the first place. DC at the time had a following of two men and a dog and all of a sudden they had a support of thousands because they were playing Linfield. Had Cliftonville no game that day?

No, Cliftonville had no game that day. Now maybe you would respond to my questions thanks?

lopez
24/01/2007, 1:04 PM
...If you are breaking the law, regardless of what team they were supposedly supporting that day then they deserved all they got.Take it you're one of the flog 'em, hang 'em, and, er, shoot 'em brigade.

old git
24/01/2007, 1:30 PM

as per my earlier post ... recent cup final between glentoran / lingfield mini riot on pitch after match... how many plastics bullets did ruc use that day :confused: :confused: :confused:

David
24/01/2007, 7:11 PM
as per my earlier post ... recent cup final between glentoran / lingfield mini riot on pitch after match... how many plastics bullets did ruc use that day :confused: :confused: :confused:

Trouble nowhere near as serious.

Not Brazil
26/01/2007, 2:43 PM

They may not be many in number, but they do seem to enjoy themselves.

DC fans at Coleraine recently.

:eek:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yX2OnAeIcKo

old git
26/01/2007, 2:56 PM
They may not be many in number, but they do seem to enjoy themselves.

DC fans at Coleraine recently.

:eek:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yX2OnAeIcKo

nice one :D

Mr_Parker
28/01/2007, 11:36 PM
Trouble nowhere near as serious.

You what? There is no doubt that the trouble escalated at the DC _ Linfield game but pastics were being fired long before they reached the comparable heights of the Glentoran - Linfield riot.

http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l44/Mr_Parker2006/plasticbullets.jpg

lopez
29/01/2007, 11:37 AM
They look like they're enjoying themselves. :rolleyes:

Mr_Parker
29/01/2007, 11:34 PM
They look like they're enjoying themselves. :rolleyes:

Enjoying?

http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l44/Mr_Parker2006/scan0008-1.jpg

lopez
30/01/2007, 10:52 AM
Enjoying?

http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l44/Mr_Parker2006/scan0008-1.jpgI was talking about Mr Royal Ulster Community poleeeceman. I can't imagine too many people getting kicks out of batterys being shot at them.

old git
30/01/2007, 12:34 PM
You what? There is no doubt that the trouble escalated at the DC _ Linfield game but pastics were being fired long before they reached the comparable heights of the Glentoran - Linfield riot.

http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l44/Mr_Parker2006/plasticbullets.jpg

i thought police force were only allowed to fire plastic rounds at leg level... p.s. one or two seem to be enjoying it alright ..:mad: :mad:

Mr_Parker
30/01/2007, 1:56 PM
i thought police force were only allowed to fire plastic rounds at leg level... p.s. one or two seem to be enjoying it alright ..:mad: :mad:

I have been at many's a game when plastics were fired and can never remember anyone suffering any leg injuries. Plenty of ones higher up. At that game one supporter was shot in the chest with one and was only saved from death by the fast actions of others with mouth to mouth and in turn the first aiders. At that point the rumour went around the crowd that he was dead. The majority of the crowd left shortly afterwards and there was some terrible rioting in the West for much of the night with buses burned etc.

Google Sean Downes or Nora McCabe if you want another perspective of how plastics were used.

lopez
30/01/2007, 1:57 PM
i thought police force were only allowed to fire plastic rounds at leg level... p.s. one or two seem to be enjoying it alright ..:mad: :mad:I think he's aiming at the photographer. BTW, in the background there seems to be someone holding a stick between left-right policeman number 3 (who seems to be smiling) and four (tash man's twin, slightly obscured). Why not plastic bullets going his direction? :rolleyes:

David
30/01/2007, 4:56 PM
I am sure the many innocent Linfield supporters who suffered severe beatings at the hands of the Garda in 1979 might not have had a too high an opinion of them at that time. The fact of the matter is that a significant number of people turned up for a bit of trouble that day in the DC end, as well as the home end I hasten to add. If anyone innocent was injured that is wrong but nobody can explain to me how a travelling support that to this day, despite now being in the top division, rarely gets into treble figures numbered thousands that day.

David
30/01/2007, 4:57 PM
Google Sean Downes or Nora McCabe if you want another perspective of how plastics were used.

What has this got to do with football?

Mr_Parker
30/01/2007, 7:14 PM
What has this got to do with football?

Read my sentence again. :rolleyes:

Mr_Parker
30/01/2007, 7:17 PM
I am sure the many innocent Linfield supporters who suffered severe beatings at the hands of the Garda in 1979 might not have had a too high an opinion of them at that time. The fact of the matter is that a significant number of people turned up for a bit of trouble that day in the DC end, as well as the home end I hasten to add. If anyone innocent was injured that is wrong but nobody can explain to me how a travelling support that to this day, despite now being in the top division, rarely gets into treble figures numbered thousands that day.

Nothing excuses the RUC for breaking their own guidelines regardless of how many were there. Remember these were there suposed forces of law and order.

BTW David where the UVF playing that day? Maybe that is why so many turned up at the Linfield end? Did the RUC fire plastic at them when they started fighting that day?

http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l44/Mr_Parker2006/scan0015-1.jpg

Ifcp1
30/01/2007, 8:03 PM
I think Donegal Celtics support will rise slighty this first season in the top league, it will take a good run in the league or cup before any real buzz starts about the team, i for one hope their support does increase and that any clingon trouble makers stay away.

lopez
30/01/2007, 9:50 PM
...nobody can explain to me how a travelling support that to this day, despite now being in the top division, rarely gets into treble figures numbered thousands that day.You know, I've been told to stay out of NI things, you know not coming from those parts, it's none of my business/you don't understand/won't find it in the books, etc. etc. But, tell, me, is that a serious question?

David
31/01/2007, 12:06 AM
You know, I've been told to stay out of NI things, you know not coming from those parts, it's none of my business/you don't understand/won't find it in the books, etc. etc. But, tell, me, is that a serious question?

No I obviously know the answer but it is a serious point. As I stated both supports that days were bolstered by hangers on but particularly DC who at the time, and even now, have next to no support.

David
31/01/2007, 12:12 AM
Nothing excuses the RUC for breaking their own guidelines regardless of how many were there. Remember these were there suposed forces of law and order.

BTW David where the UVF playing that day? Maybe that is why so many turned up at the Linfield end? Did the RUC fire plastic at them when they started fighting that day?

http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l44/Mr_Parker2006/scan0015-1.jpg

I have already accepted we had hangers on that day. However you are quite clearly trying to score cheap political points in this thread. All over the world police over react and act outside guidelines in difficult situations. Indeed I have suffered in this way at the hands of the RUC myself as a Linfield supporter. I recall the day of trouble at Windsor when Justin McBride was sent off when a friend and myself got out of the way to avoid the trouble only to receive a battering with a police baton for doing so and being forced to rejoin the mob but maybe that does not fit in with the cheap political points that you are attempting to score here, after all surely the RUC would never have treated a Protestant in such a way. :rolleyes:

lopez
31/01/2007, 9:38 AM
No I obviously know the answer but it is a serious point. As I stated both supports that days were bolstered by hangers on but particularly DC who at the time, and even now, have next to no support.That's the one thing I remember from the time. Both sides support swelled that day. You're right about DC. As a club, it was virtually inconsequential. But many people from nationalist West Belfast saw this one occasion to adopt the Club as a substitute for Belfast Celtic or to fight their own ethnic battles on the back of a football game. The problem though for me, is that while both sets of supporters (or rather their hangers - on) were as bad as each other (I wasn't there but the game's violence made the media in Britain), the police were far from impartial that day.

David
31/01/2007, 10:36 AM
That's the one thing I remember from the time. Both sides support swelled that day. You're right about DC. As a club, it was virtually inconsequential. But many people from nationalist West Belfast saw this one occasion to adopt the Club as a substitute for Belfast Celtic or to fight their own ethnic battles on the back of a football game. The problem though for me, is that while both sets of supporters (or rather their hangers - on) were as bad as each other (I wasn't there but the game's violence made the media in Britain), the police were far from impartial that day.

My recollection of that day, and I am going simply from being there and it was seventeen years ago, was that the trouble on the spion kop was of a far more serious nature.

Mr_Parker
31/01/2007, 12:13 PM
My recollection of that day, and I am going simply from being there and it was seventeen years ago, was that the trouble on the spion kop was of a far more serious nature.

At the point were the plastics started to fired the trouble was on a par from each side with missles being exchanged between the stand and the terrace. The RUC then turned their plastic bullets in one direction only. I am not having any political digs just stating what I witnessed.

Mr_Parker
31/01/2007, 12:14 PM
I have already accepted we had hangers on that day. However you are quite clearly trying to score cheap political points in this thread. All over the world police over react and act outside guidelines in difficult situations. Indeed I have suffered in this way at the hands of the RUC myself as a Linfield supporter. I recall the day of trouble at Windsor when Justin McBride was sent off when a friend and myself got out of the way to avoid the trouble only to receive a battering with a police baton for doing so and being forced to rejoin the mob but maybe that does not fit in with the cheap political points that you are attempting to score here, after all surely the RUC would never have treated a Protestant in such a way. :rolleyes:

In all your years as a Linfield supporter how often were plastic bullets fired inside football grounds when there was touble involving Linfield supporters?

David
31/01/2007, 1:16 PM
At the point were the plastics started to fired the trouble was on a par from each side with missles being exchanged between the stand and the terrace. The RUC then turned their plastic bullets in one direction only. I am not having any political digs just stating what I witnessed.

If you are not having political digs then maybe you should refrain from bringing incidents that have nothing whatsoebver to do with football into the argument. Would it not alos be fair to say that the RUC were coming under sustained attack from those on the Spionm Kop?

David
31/01/2007, 1:18 PM
In all your years as a Linfield supporter how often were plastic bullets fired inside football grounds when there was touble involving Linfield supporters?

Never, although I feel the scale and seriousness of the trouble that day outweighs any other trouble that I have seen at a match in Northern Ireland.

Mr_Parker
31/01/2007, 1:56 PM
If you are not having political digs then maybe you should refrain from bringing incidents that have nothing whatsoebver to do with football into the argument. Would it not alos be fair to say that the RUC were coming under sustained attack from those on the Spionm Kop?

No, at that point the RUC were in the middle of two sets of opposing fans who were stoning eachother. They decided to shoot at one set of supporters only.

As for bringing other incidents into it I merely directed people to go and search for other plastic bullet incidents to clarify a comment made in the thread. I did not make any direct comment on those matters.

Mr_Parker
31/01/2007, 2:02 PM
Never, although I feel the scale and seriousness of the trouble that day outweighs any other trouble that I have seen at a match in Northern Ireland.

You see David, that is where my and many other supporters experiences differ. I have lost count of the number of games I have attended over that period of time when plastic bullets were fired into supporters. Every single one of them were when the RUC fired plastics at supporters of what were perceived to be Nationalist/Catholic supporters eg Donegal Celtic, Cliftonville and Glasgow Celtic.

I have also attended many other games eg Glentoran v Linfield when the rioting was as equal to many of the occassions when plastic were used but not once did I see the plastics brought out.