PDA

View Full Version : Last Night's Echo - Planning Notices

razor
22/11/2002, 12:01 PM
Cork City Council:

The Munster Football Association seeks permission to demolish the existing covered terrace ("The Shed") along with the existing pavillion and construct a new single tier covered seated stand with facilities under, including changing rooms, public toilets, meeting rooms and offices at the eastern end, (Curragh Road) of Turners Cross Football Ground, Curragh Road, Beaufort Park, St Annes Park and Derrynane Road, Turners Cross.
The planning application may be inspected or purchased at the offices of the planning authority and a submission or observation in relation to the application may be made to the Authority in writing on payment of the prescribed fee within the period of 5 weeks beginning on the date of receipt by the Authority of the application.

pete
22/11/2002, 1:03 PM
Good to see some action by City & the MFA.

Addition of a small bar (even with limited opening hours) would make it perfect.

Whose gonna be the first to get their copy of the plans? ;)

Casegrande
22/11/2002, 1:53 PM
Originally posted by razor
The planning application may be inspected or purchased at the offices of the planning authority
Where is this place located nowadays? Is it in the old Liebert on Model Farm Road?

Troy.McClure
22/11/2002, 4:03 PM
Originally posted by Casegrande

Where is this place located nowadays? Is it in the old Liebert on Model Farm Road?

Model Farm Road AFIK, about 9 stories up.

pete
22/11/2002, 4:12 PM
County Council got there planning place up the County Hall on the Carrigrohan Straight. Dunno about the City Council/Corporation......

yiddo
22/11/2002, 6:07 PM
James. You're in Dublin too long. The County Council planning department moved from the County Hall to the old Liebert building on Model Farm Road about 12 months. I've inside info. Me sister works there;)

Peadar
23/11/2002, 7:52 AM
Originally posted by yiddo
The County Council planning department moved from the County Hall

Correct me if I'm wrong but I'm sure that this has nothing to do with the Cork County Council.
Cork Corporation has re-badged itself as "Cork City Council".
As far as I know the Cork City Council's Planning Department is at Navigation House on Albert Quay.
KNOCK THE SHED!

Éanna
24/11/2002, 6:34 PM
Originally posted by Peadar
KNOCK THE SHED!
Yeah, damn peter pan of the city support :rolleyes: ;)

Good to see moves being made, lets hope that Murphy leaves asap so there´ll actually be fans to fill the new stand :)

pete
25/11/2002, 9:38 AM
City Council Planning Dept. is at Abbey Court House, Georges Quay. Tel. 4924564

Peadar
01/01/2003, 4:19 PM
Do we know any more about this?
Anyone see the plans?

eoinh
01/01/2003, 4:32 PM
The capacity of the new stand going to be? They should put the plans and a design up for the match against Rovers. We could all inspect it then.

;)

niamh
04/01/2003, 3:55 PM
lots of talk and asking but has anyone actually rooted this plans out then? Being in Dublin George's Quay is a bit of a trip for me!

joe
04/01/2003, 4:41 PM
Originally posted by eoinh
The capacity of the new stand going to be? They should put the plans and a design up for the match against Rovers. We could all inspect it then.

;)

I think the new capacity of the ground will be 7,500 so that must mean the new stand will hold about 1,500/1,600

AFAIK the supporters club intend getting a copy of the plans and putting them on display in the programme hut on Friday night

TommyT
05/01/2003, 2:57 PM
Would you not be better off putting a roof over the far end first ?

joe
05/01/2003, 7:42 PM
Originally posted by TommyT
Would you not be better off putting a roof over the far end first ?

AFAIK that is also covered by the planning application that has been lodged, though i stand to be corrected on that

Troy.McClure
06/01/2003, 11:41 AM
Id like to see a cover put on the St Annes end before the Shed gets knocked, although with 'summer' soccer on the way it shouldnt matter too much. It would help with atmosphere though.

shedboy
06/01/2003, 12:25 PM
Was talking to the engineer in charge of the project and he told me the plans for the new stand are only in their infancy but that they applied for the planning premission so that when the plans are ready they can proceed without delay. Don't expect anything till summer at the earliest

joe
06/01/2003, 5:40 PM
had a look at the plans today and they look quite good

it looks like the roof on St. Anne's will cover all the seats and there'll be toilets and shop space built up their too

the new stand at the shed end runs the full width of the pitch and will have 1,471 seats - 5 blocks of 290, 355, 181, 355, 290. The middle block is labelled VIP seating and it looks like there's also a glass-enclosed VIP area at the back. Underneath there's ladies and gents toilets, two dressing rooms (one bigger than the other - but don't tell the away team that methinks ;)), a ref's changing room, hospitality room and a room labelled Cork City FC. The tunnel comes onto the pitch right behind the goal. It's not quite as tall, or as deep, as The Shed, but not far off it either and the total seating capacity will be 7,426.

James
06/01/2003, 5:45 PM
a VIP section in the shed

that'll be for moses and the boys right :)

Pablo
06/01/2003, 6:45 PM
It'll be a nice tidy ground when all thats done. pity they didnt try and go for the 10k capacity though. i'd say a city team doing well would fill the 7k regularly so th capacity will be tested regularly

eoinh
06/01/2003, 7:22 PM
Originally posted by Pablo
It'll be a nice tidy ground when all thats done. pity they didnt try and go for the 10k capacity though. i'd say a city team doing well would fill the 7k regularly so th capacity will be tested regularly

theres still the four corners of the ground that could be filled in.

RedReb
06/01/2003, 9:17 PM
but i thought the donie ford stand only holds 1,800, st annes end 2,400 the derrynane 800+ and the corner 20-30. add those up with the new stand 1,800+ 2,400+900+1,471= 6,571

joe
07/01/2003, 12:34 AM
According to the plans, St. Anne's holds 2,800, Derrynane 1,185, Donie Forde 1,900 and the new stand will be 1,471, which is close to 7,500

NorthoftheLee
07/01/2003, 9:13 AM
I can't believe they are going to put a VIP section in the new stand. VIP areas are for the main stands so the business toffs can watch teh matches in comfort while munching on their prawn sandwiches.
Are they trying to kill any atmosphere that might be generated in the new stand. A VIP section in the middle of the new stand would certainly do that. Plus, what VIPs will want to sit in one of the end sections. Shur matches are only supposed to be viewed fromt he half way line??
I for one wont be going anywhere near it. Time to setup corner number 2 or else join forces with the exsisting one.

Standing room only for me!!

Macy
07/01/2003, 9:51 AM
Have to say I think it'd be a mistake to put a VIP section in the middle of what is/was the singing end of a ground... surely you could increase the VIP section in the main stand rather than ruin the atmosphere in a new stand.....

pete
07/01/2003, 9:55 AM
I think a good idea to have a enclosed glass section as little scope for that in the rest of the ground.

I wouldn't worry about the middle VIP section of seats as they can be changed by removing the stickers.

Was there something about a 10k capacity required for euro games?

joe
07/01/2003, 10:09 AM
Originally posted by pete

Was there something about a 10k capacity required for euro games?

Apparently the Cross will never be up to scratch to hosting a full UEFA Cup/Champions League game and it has nothing to do with capacity. Rather it's the structure and layout/size of the stadium that means it's below standard, eg things like the away team coach being able to drive into the ground and park next to the dressing room for the match.

btw it seems no eL ground is up to the standard and the only ground in the country that is is Landsdowne Road.

niamh
07/01/2003, 10:44 AM
City playing in Lansdowne in a few years....sweet!!

eoinh
07/01/2003, 10:59 AM
Originally posted by joe
Apparently the Cross will never be up to scratch to hosting a full UEFA Cup/Champions League game and it has nothing to do with capacity. Rather it's the structure and layout/size of the stadium that means it's below standard, eg things like the away team coach being able to drive into the ground and park next to the dressing room for the match.

btw it seems no eL ground is up to the standard and the only ground in the country that is is Landsdowne Road.

Surely if your club recieves the new Uefa Licence that means it can take part in the club competitions. The new stand will have its back facing onto the main road. the bus could easily park out there. :confused:

Macy
07/01/2003, 1:40 PM
Surely if your club recieves the new Uefa Licence that means it can take part in the club competitions. The new stand will have its back facing onto the main road. the bus could easily park out there. :confused:
Can't see that being the rule, as there's loads of English grounds that that can't be done, esp the London grounds like Highbury which are totally enclosed by houses....

Colm
07/01/2003, 2:04 PM
Having seen the plans last night they do indeed look pretty impressive. The VIP viewing area is good step forward imo as it will seem attractive to potential sponsers. However, having a VIP seating area in the middle of the Shed end is a bad idea imo and would ruin any atmosphere. I think everyone might have to relocate to the st. Annes end.

James
07/01/2003, 2:11 PM
Originally posted by COLM
However, having a VIP seating area in the middle of the Shed end is a bad idea imo and would ruin any atmosphere.

thats the thing thou , the shed's dead Zed, the shed's dead
think i'll be a-movin to the st anne's end anyways, once they roof that which is also in the plans

Colm
07/01/2003, 2:20 PM
Originally posted by James
thats the thing thou , the shed's dead Zed, the shed's dead
think i'll be a-movin to the st anne's end anyways, once they roof that which is also in the plans Yeah, the Shed is long dead and has become boring with the same old sh!t that goes on in there every week now.

I'll be going there for the Rovers game but after that there will have to be serious consideration given to moving.

pete
07/01/2003, 4:01 PM
I'm sure if needed the club could get 500-1000 extra seats alongside down at the corners at the st Annes end if required.

Could easily open the st annes end to coaches & trucks as well.

Measn we'd be left with 8000-8500 max capacity ground. If that was ever too small for league games the club & league would be outgrowing the cross anyways.

James
07/01/2003, 4:11 PM
well at the moment it looks like a 7,500 capacity and no more room / chance to increase it beyond that without the club / MFA buying out land all around the ground. ie horseshoe & houses in front of and behind the 2 ends, because imo there will be objections to any developments and also space problems

didnt know until last night that rule about the away teal bus being able to drive into the stadium and right upto the dressing rooms, not sure but there are no grounds in the EL that can accomadate that?

pete
07/01/2003, 4:21 PM
Was suggested to me by non-eL person at christmas that the local authority should be encouraging the MFA & CCFC to stay & develop Turners Cross so that suburbs close to the city retain recreational facilities. Sounds like a good approach to take although unsure how can stop people objecting to planning applications.

I still think the eventual redevelopment of Musgrave Park into 20k all-seater multipurpose stadium might be the ideal long term solution but thats a separate discussion we had a while back. It was the location of possibly cities greatest ever result ;)

Colm
07/01/2003, 5:13 PM
Originally posted by James
didnt know until last night that rule about the away teal bus being able to drive into the stadium and right upto the dressing rooms, not sure but there are no grounds in the EL that can accomadate that? Tolka i'd say.

TommyT
08/01/2003, 5:42 PM
Dalymount side entrance.

Éanna
08/01/2003, 6:51 PM
saw plans alright- very nice. I think it´s a good thing in many ways that theyre sticking a vip section down there, maybe it will be the catalyst we need for the singing support to move somewhere else. I recokn st annes end will be the job, particularly as it covered in this stage of the development.

Troy.McClure
10/01/2003, 8:19 PM
Are there 'corporate boxes' in the plans? I know that Shels have some in their new stand. I think that there should be a few built, either in the new Shed stand or else above the St Annes end. I was just looking at the Lenster Rugger match on the tv and they (George Hook et al.) were in the one in Donnybrook. For those of you who have never graced Donnybrook rugby ground... its cr@p, but it looked respectable through the studieo RTE had set up in the corporate box. It allows for so much more, especially tv, where TV3 wouldnt have to use a Dublin studieo for live braodcasts at the X (therefore making it much more attractive to broadcast from). Also, are there any camera gantries on the new roofs? There cheap as chips and make the X so much more attractive for telly + make it look respectable on the box.

Éanna
11/01/2003, 11:13 AM
what there is is a section behind the seats which is behind a window/inside, so I guess that could be the corporate section.

ccfcman
11/01/2003, 11:26 AM
all sounds lovely really it does,but am i the only person who thinks they should rip down the wall at the shed end at the turnstiles and put up a new one refurbished and all that.a proper welcome with glass and steel instead a chernobyl-esque decay ridden entrance?

Éanna
11/01/2003, 11:38 AM
not a bad idea, it would be nice to have a stylish entrance, but I think getting inside the ground up to scratch is more important. When the ground is finished we can think about the outside.

eoinh
11/01/2003, 1:36 PM
How come the plans weren't on display last night?

I thought they were supposed to be.

joe
11/01/2003, 4:23 PM
Originally posted by ccfcman
all sounds lovely really it does,but am i the only person who thinks they should rip down the wall at the shed end at the turnstiles and put up a new one refurbished and all that.a proper welcome with glass and steel instead a chernobyl-esque decay ridden entrance?

could be a planning issue, maybe?

they were - at the programme hut

patsh
11/01/2003, 6:03 PM

Eh, they were and very impressive too I thought.

pete
13/01/2003, 9:41 AM
That Donnybrook rugby looks crap on tv - you don't need to visit it to tell that. While i not been inside Donnybrook i've driven past enough times & reminds me of Pats Stadium of Light on tv 7 wwhen you actually go there a big shock in store.

:eek: