PDA

View Full Version : Delaney got the wrong bloke

Noelys Guitar
06/01/2007, 1:55 PM
A major error again on Delaneys part
http://www.stevestanton.com/index2.html

OwlsFan
07/01/2007, 5:23 PM
Anyone hear Delaney on the Last Word on Friday I think it was. Put up some strong arguments as to the progress being made in the local game. Where he was weak though was the Stan appointment and the shock that a 70+ man who was there to hold his hand got ill :rolleyes: Imagine the surprise in that.

pineapple stu
07/01/2007, 6:35 PM
What argument did he put for progress in the local game when our league champions are bankrupt, the ones previous have had trouble with Revenue and we've lost one, possibly two, other clubs gone out of existence this season alone?

Wolfie
07/01/2007, 7:44 PM
"Mr. Stanton's sessions are always characterized by audience interaction, iconoclastic insight, humor, energy, and pragmatism".

An uncanny resemblance to our own Stan. Separated at birth?

OwlsFan
08/01/2007, 9:18 AM
What argument did he put for progress in the local game when our league champions are bankrupt, the ones previous have had trouble with Revenue and we've lost one, possibly two, other clubs gone out of existence this season alone?

That's one of the problems he said that they were tackling: that most clubs were living beyond their means. Now under the new rules they are only allowed spend x% of their revenue.

Student Mullet
08/01/2007, 1:26 PM
That's one of the problems he said that they were tackling: that most clubs were living beyond their means. Now under the new rules they are only allowed spend x% of their revenue.
The new rule (which comes in in 2008) is quite good and hopefully they'll stick to it.
The only complaint I have on it is that improvements like this seem to be perpetually one or two years down the line. I can remember before the UEFA License came in we had the rules for premier division membership, then the license and now the promise of a participation agreement. To his credit, Delaney seems to be more proactive than previous people in his postion so hopefully we might see these rules implemented under him but for the moment it's still just talk.

galwayhoop
08/01/2007, 3:04 PM
The new rule (which comes in in 2008) The only complaint I have on it is that improvements like this seem to be perpetually one or two years down the line.

in fairness it would be very hard to introduce immediately but there is a 'best practice' recommendation for this season for clubs to try and achieve - if there was (maybe there is) an incentitive to achieve this it would be better still. BTW what is the penalty for paying more than the x% (i think it's 60 or 65%) of turnover? is the penalty points or financial based

Student Mullet
08/01/2007, 3:19 PM
I agree that it can't be brought in immediatly but we've been hearing that for a good while now.

My understanding is that the committee running the new league (where the FAI CEO and his appointees have a majority) have a lot of flexability. They could pick any penalty from none to throwing a club out of the league.

Lionel Ritchie
08/01/2007, 3:21 PM
Anyone hear Delaney on the Last Word on Friday I think it was. Put up some strong arguments as to the progress being made in the local game. Where he was weak though was the Stan appointment and the shock that a 70+ man who was there to hold his hand got ill :rolleyes: Imagine the surprise in that.

Thought he came across as an arrogant, self righteous cnut to be honest.
I also thought he did grave diservice to our current senior squad throughout his weasling about the results last year. Started rhyming off names of players who started the last time we beat a team as good as us or better away in a qualifier (scotland 87) and said we don't have players of that calibre anymore.* ...Rather than blaming the fact that HE HIMSELF appointed an assistant defensive coach from Walsall as senior manager coz he wanted the job done yellow pack.

When Cooper opined that Delaney would be out of a job if it all ended in tears he started gushing about the six year contract he's just given himself.

The man is a fcuking disgrace.

*I think it is self evident that if, for example, Lawrie Sanchez was in charge of our team we'd be on top of our group.

OwlsFan
09/01/2007, 7:00 AM
I also thought he did grave diservice to our current senior squad throughout his weasling about the results last year. Started rhyming off names of players who started the last time we beat a team as good as us or better away in a qualifier (scotland 87) and said we don't have players of that calibre anymore..

I agree with that. What sort of message does it send to the current squad? Certainly not a positive one and that annoyed me.

Jerry The Saint
09/01/2007, 10:01 AM
I agree with that. What sort of message does it send to the current squad? Certainly not a positive one and that annoyed me

Funny how Delaney used to think that the players were good enough to qualify for the World Cup but were held back by the manager. Surely now that we have a "world-class" super-motivational manager who can put fear into the eyes of the opposition we should be walking this group...:confused:

galwayhoop
09/01/2007, 3:10 PM
it's a bit rich alright saying that kerr was sent packing because we were underachieving and now putting on spin like we are over achieving! don't agree that if we had sanchez that we'd be top asll the same but definately with someone like him 2nd would be very achievable.

RogerMilla
11/01/2007, 7:41 AM
looking at mr. stantons website it looks like he is as big a bluffer as the one we got !!

Lionel Ritchie
11/01/2007, 9:44 AM
it's a bit rich alright saying that kerr was sent packing because we were underachieving and now putting on spin like we are over achieving! don't agree that if we had sanchez that we'd be top asll the same but definately with someone like him 2nd would be very achievable.

Sorry I didn't check how many points the Jerries had. :o
My point is still sound though...

I believe if we had a man with a proven track record of making players perform to the full extent of their abilities -such as Sanchez (notwithstanding NIs inconsistencies) we'd be on ten points now. We wouldn't have lost in Germany and would've beaten Cyprus and a Czech side there for the taking.