PDA

View Full Version : Shelbourne lodge appeal against Dillon

Poor Student
06/01/2007, 10:19 AM
Shelbourne crisis deepens
Saturday January 6th 2007
ADVERTISEMENT

Sean Dillon

SHELBOURNE'S players were not paid again yesterday as the troubled Reds officially appealed against defender Sean Dillon's declaration that he is a free agent.

The matter could go to a tribunal as early as next Tuesday but Shels must fork out a €5,000 fee before the tribunal can take place.

It will be the first of a number of cases that Shelbourne are planning to fight. Owen Heary, Bobby Ryan and Jason Byrne all submitted similar solicitor's letters earlier this week stating that they are free agents after failing to receive their wages for two consecutive weeks and Colin Hawkins is expected to join the queue for the Tolka Park exit next week.

Daniel McDonnell

http://www.unison.ie/sportsdesk/stories.php3?ca=12&si=1750212

chippie0001
06/01/2007, 10:25 AM
If Dillon is not made a free agent it is a disgrace. Again this week the man is not paid and his employers are effectively trying to stop him earning a living anywhere. Any sympathy for Shels will quickly end if Ollie trys to stop people earning money while on the other side paying money for an appeal and not paying the wages. The €5k would be better in Dillons pocket.

Mr A
06/01/2007, 10:39 AM
In one way I can see Bryne's logic- in that Shelbourne desperately need transfer fees for these players to keep going, but on the other hand I don't see how spending that €5k can be anything other than a total waste of money. It looks cut and dried, they haven't paid the wages so the players can go. If anything this is a good thing for Shels as at least the financial hole won't be deepening so fast as unpaid wages keep mounting up.

It would have made sense for Ollie to at least try to keep paying Jason Bryne, as he is the prime asset and most likely to command a decent fee, even with Bray's clause in there.

Poor Student
06/01/2007, 10:41 AM
If a player gets his contract anulled in this fashion do the previous club still owe him the unpaid wages?

Terry
06/01/2007, 10:43 AM
they really do look like another Dublin City now, wonder what the FAI are thinking?

drummerboy
06/01/2007, 10:56 AM
I can't understand why Byrne didn't put these players up for sale a month ago when he knew he couldn't pay them. At least he would have got a transfer fee for them. It now looks like he get nothing and it will cost him €5K to go to court and probably lose. Everything is certainly falling apart.

Vitruvian Man
06/01/2007, 11:31 AM
Ollies modus op. is usually to threaten legal action but not go through with it.

I'd say Dillon and the others will leave without a challenge in the courts.

The FAI's running of the UEFA licencing system is becoming publicly exposed for the sham it is when you combine the Limerick/Shelbourne debacles.

Passive
06/01/2007, 11:43 AM
I can't understand why Byrne didn't put these players up for sale a month ago when he knew he couldn't pay them.

Or why Shels didn't sell Byrne a few months ago when it seemed like every club in Scandinavia was sniffing after him.

This is total madness by Ollie. It's like the Iraqi's going on television to say that the invasion hadn't started when you could see American tanks in the background.

But after ten years of madness, what more should we expect? It's not like fans of other clubs hadn't been predicting this for years, only to be dismissed by the head in the sand brigade at Tolka.

The empire has fallen - Shels have no money, no players, no home ground, no future, and nobody to blame but themselves.

Soper
06/01/2007, 11:46 AM
I hope Jason Byrne stays in Ireland

LeixlipRed
06/01/2007, 12:01 PM
The €5k would be better in Dillons pocket.

Too right. How will Dillon feel if he sees Ollie making a 5k legal challenge when he's x amount out of pocket? If this appeal goes ahead then I for one will be calling for Ollie's head. He's lost it completely at this stage

Réiteoir
06/01/2007, 12:06 PM
Or why Shels didn't sell Byrne a few months ago when it seemed like every club in Scandinavia was sniffing after him.

This is total madness by Ollie. It's like the Iraqi's going on television to say that the invasion hadn't started when you could see American tanks in the background.

But after ten years of madness, what more should we expect? It's not like fans of other clubs hadn't been predicting this for years, only to be dismissed by the head in the sand brigade at Tolka.

The empire has fallen - Shels have no money, no players, no home ground, no future, and nobody to blame but themselves.

What are you on about?
Nothing wrong at Tolka - the future of the club is secure - anyway - they're in the Champions League next season - don't forget that.
It's all a conspiracy started by Rovers anyway - because Shels are a massive club

dcfcsteve
06/01/2007, 12:20 PM
He's lost it completely at this stage

Holy fcuk - you're actually claiming that it's only at this advanced stage of destroying your club that Ollie has "lost it"......?:o

How many times over the last season did fans of other clubs predict that this finacial meltdown would happen at Shels ? And how many times did we all face the venom of Shels fans in return, for allegedly having-it-in for their club where nothing was wrong and Ollie would save them 'as he always does'.....? :rolleyes:

pineapple stu
06/01/2007, 12:36 PM
One thing about all this is that there appears to be some value in the betting markets among those bookies who haven't adjusted to this. At this stage, it appears as if Shels will have no players or coaches left from their first team last year (the above are joined with Liam Kearney and Éamon Collins, who've apparently also left), and even their U-21 team will likely be raided.

Paddy Power quote Cork as 6/5 to win their Setanta group ahead of Shels (5/4), Portadown and Dungannon - seems like free money, although the Ports did beat Cork last time, I think. It's still the easiest possible group you could get. Ladbrokes still have Shels second favourites to win the league, so Derry are 9/4 and Drogs are 10/3. Don't think Betfair have eL betting up yet, but laying Shels to win the league should bring in a few bob too. Shels' demise (pending, of course, Ollie saving the day...) can at least be worth a few bob to the rest of us.

Passive
06/01/2007, 1:38 PM
What are you on about?
Nothing wrong at Tolka - the future of the club is secure - anyway - they're in the Champions League next season - don't forget that.
It's all a conspiracy started by Rovers anyway - because Shels are a massive club

You're right. It also appears as though US troops have failed to enter Baghdad, leaving Saddam's regime untouched.

LeixlipRed
06/01/2007, 3:17 PM
Holy fcuk - you're actually claiming that it's only at this advanced stage of destroying your club that Ollie has "lost it"......?:o

How many times over the last season did fans of other clubs predict that this finacial meltdown would happen at Shels ? And how many times did we all face the venom of Shels fans in return, for allegedly having-it-in for their club where nothing was wrong and Ollie would save them 'as he always does'.....? :rolleyes:

If you read back on any posts I've made on here regarding Ollie and him being our saviour you'll see I don't agree with that at all. Up until now I truly believe eveything he has done was idiotic but was also, in his opinion, in the best interest of Shels. If he goes ahead with an appeal that clearly has no benefit to Shelbourne (unlike his previous appeals over the years) then he is no longer fit to run the club. I have always thought the way he ran Shels was detrimental to the club but unfortunately the majority of Shels fans didn't (and some still don't) agree

Merc67
06/01/2007, 3:51 PM
ollie is certain there is somethiing in the contract that will get the club off the hook!! 100% certain. hewont say what it is but he has intimated that the club is confident dillo et al won't win their cases...

also the licensing issue is a busted flush. clubs are given their licence based on a particular snapshot in time and its not in the past few months.
if shels are in the **** they are now when the next licenses are to be handed out then, and only then, can they be relieved of their licence...

chippie0001
06/01/2007, 3:58 PM
ollie is certain there is somethiing in the contract that will get the club off the hook!! 100% certain. hewont say what it is but he has intimated that the club is confident dillo et al won't win their cases...

Well if he is it will be some get out of jail card. I read what he gave the players in July and point 4 of it is crystal clear. If wages are not paid every Friday when due, the player in question can leave for free. Signed by Ollie and Pat Fenlon. Also legally he has no grounds, you cannot keep employees and not pay them. Its illegal, even the FAI know that. :eek:

pete
06/01/2007, 4:05 PM
What has changed so dramatically in the last 6 months? Shels actually won the league so they had a pretty good year. Was Oily so blind he could not see 6 months ahead & accept the Jason Byrne offer to get in some revenue & cut some costs?

I have limited sympathy for the players too as some of them left other clubs for lure of Shels cash.

garyderry
06/01/2007, 4:32 PM

also the licensing issue is a busted flush. clubs are given their licence based on a particular snapshot in time and its not in the past few months.
if shels are in the **** they are now when the next licenses are to be handed out then, and only then, can they be relieved of their licence...

its irrelevant what the contracts say, if $hel$ dont pay they are free agents,
what muppet in there right mind would stay with an employer who continually refuses to pay wages,

pineapple stu
06/01/2007, 4:49 PM
Was Oily so blind he could not see 6 months ahead & accept the Jason Byrne offer to get in some revenue & cut some costs?
Yes, by the looks of it.

His thinking was probably along the lines that Byrne was his best player, therefore he couldn't afford to lose him. Like Seery, Oily was just blinded by the lure of success, regardless of how impossibly far away it was.

Dodge
06/01/2007, 6:01 PM

Said it then and I'll say it agian. That was nothing but Ollie trying to drum up a buyer for Byrne in the UK. He knows that journos here atre too lazy to ring the Scandinaviam clubs looking for a comment. There never was any real interest from any scandinavian clubs.

I've seen that letter the players got. They all have bank statements to show they didn't receive the money. Some of the "stars" haven't been paid a penny in three weeks. There is nothing Ollie can do to stop them leaving and Dillon, J Byrne, heary and co know this. All LOI clubs know this. They'd all much rather spend €20k on a signing bonus than a transfer fee and my guess is that Heary, J Byrne and Crowe all play for another Dublin club nect season.

chippie0001
06/01/2007, 6:24 PM
Said it then and I'll say it agian. That was nothing but Ollie trying to drum up a buyer for Byrne in the UK. He knows that journos here atre too lazy to ring the Scandinaviam clubs looking for a comment. There never was any real interest from any scandinavian clubs.

I've seen that letter the players got. They all have bank statements to show they didn't receive the money. Some of the "stars" haven't been paid a penny in three weeks. There is nothing Ollie can do to stop them leaving and Dillon, J Byrne, heary and co know this. All LOI clubs know this. They'd all much rather spend €20k on a signing bonus than a transfer fee and my guess is that Heary, J Byrne and Crowe all play for another Dublin club nect season.

The odd thing is that no club has been really linked with J Byrne yet. Drogs maybe need another striker or Derry would be my bets.

soccerc
06/01/2007, 6:58 PM
There never was any real interest from any scandinavian clubs.

Yes there was Dodge.

Djurgardens made a firm offer and it was confirmed by a call to the Stockholm club from Ireland.

This (http://www.chatsoccer.eu/blog/?p=25) is by an Irish sports journo now resident in Sweden

The Sheliban
07/01/2007, 9:42 AM
If Dillon is not made a free agent it is a disgrace. Again this week the man is not paid and his employers are effectively trying to stop him earning a living anywhere. Any sympathy for Shels will quickly end if Ollie trys to stop people earning money while on the other side paying money for an appeal and not paying the wages. The €5k would be better in Dillons pocket.

You mean there has been sympathy for Shels before now??

JC_GUFC
07/01/2007, 10:22 AM
Paddy Power quote Cork as 6/5 to win their Setanta group ahead of Shels (5/4), Portadown and Dungannon - seems like free money, although the Ports did beat Cork last time, I think. It's still the easiest possible group you could get. Ladbrokes still have Shels second favourites to win the league, so Derry are 9/4 and Drogs are 10/3. Don't think Betfair have eL betting up yet, but laying Shels to win the league should bring in a few bob too. Shels' demise (pending, of course, Ollie saving the day...) can at least be worth a few bob to the rest of us.

You've clearly missed out on 9/4 Cork for their group and 7/1 Drogheda for the league! :eek:

Ports are available at 9s for their group and on current form could do it. I can't see Dungannon beating Shels reserves at this stage.

Burnsie
07/01/2007, 3:50 PM
7/1 Drogheda for the league!

:eek: :eek: :eek: