PDA

View Full Version : Album you keep coming back to.

RogerMilla
05/01/2007, 11:53 AM
Guys I am looking for your desert island disk , the one album you have bought , lost, bought again, given to a special woman , bought again etc. etc. everybody has one.

For me it's Fisherman's Blues by the Waterboys.

I have given it to loads of people down throught the years
We Will Not Be Lovers and Strange Boat are awesome tunes , as are all the singles they released off it. It reminds me of my mis-spent youth and of Galway. :)

Would be interested to hear your selctions and of course the reasons for them.

gustavo
05/01/2007, 12:00 PM
Probably Whats the Story (Morning Glory) by Oasis , its probably the one album that I love every track off ,it also reminds me of and defines my teenage years which is important i suppose for nostalgia as you get older
Notable others include Nevermind and The Holy Bible.

Pauro 76
05/01/2007, 12:43 PM
Radiohead "The Bends" for me. The very second i heard it, fell in love with it. was 18 when it came out and hit me in a way few albums did. Still sounds as great as ever. recently got back into Portishead "Dummy" after downloading it on iPod, and forgot for ages just how amazing it sounds.

anto1208
05/01/2007, 1:14 PM
Tom Waits : Closing time
Dusty Springfield : Dusty in memphis
Tupac : Me against the world

RogerMilla
05/01/2007, 1:15 PM
closing time would be a close contender for me as well anto

endabob1
05/01/2007, 1:17 PM
Nick Drake - Pink Moon

jebus
05/01/2007, 1:35 PM
Blur - Parklife - (mostly for the memories, but it's really a quality album, the like of which we have not seen this decade)

Evan Dando - Live at the Budokan - (Have always been a big Lemonheads fan, but I personally think this live album outdoes anything Evan Dando has done in his career. One of the top 3 live albums in my ears too)

BohsPartisan
05/01/2007, 1:58 PM
hmmmmmmmm... Toughie.

Maybe Forever Changes by Love
or
Screamadelica by Primal Scream

Stone Roses (first) is an obvious contender.

Or possibly The Holy Bible by the Manic Street Preachers

Then again there's Exodus by Bob Marley and the Wailers

but how could I leave out Abbey Road by The Beatles or Setting Sons by The Jam or even Searching for the young soul rebels by Dexys Midnight Runners
Ah hell I could never pick one.

PaulB
05/01/2007, 2:18 PM
Robbie Robertson - Robbie Robertson

Somwhere down that Crazy river is a classic, U2 back on 2 of the songs also

More Mellow but also brilliant, Van Morrison, Poetic Champions Compose. Can't stand the grumpy whore, but great album. Went to see him once in the point many moons ago, jesus i struggled to keep the eyes open..

RogerMilla
05/01/2007, 2:32 PM
may have been at that self same gig , paul , 1991 ?

finlma
05/01/2007, 2:34 PM
Would have to be Nirvana's Nevermind for me. Its one album that I'll pull out every so often and have a listen to. They were the first band I was properly into.

PaulB
05/01/2007, 3:03 PM
may have been at that self same gig , paul , 1991 ?

The very same, remember it clearly, the trouble was preganant with the eldest!

Terry
05/01/2007, 3:06 PM
I have one and its simple the grestest hits of a band called "Arrested Development". Pure genius work, and I would call myself a metal head !!!!

Beavis
05/01/2007, 3:34 PM
Turn on the Bright Lights - Interpol
Everytime I think I've finally outplayed it, I get hooked again.

tetsujin1979
05/01/2007, 3:34 PM
nirvana - nevermind
oasis - definately maybe
the strokes - is this it

Keep forgetting i have the strokes album, then i'll stop on it randomly on the iPod one day and fire it up. top class stuff

Neish
05/01/2007, 4:04 PM
The Stone Roses-The Stone Roses

Drumcondra Red
05/01/2007, 4:25 PM
The Who- Quarophenia

Anto McC
05/01/2007, 5:13 PM
A Century Ends - David Gray

pineapple stu
05/01/2007, 5:20 PM
Christy Moore - Live at the Point. Don't think that needs much explanation! Gave it away in Stuttgart to a German who said he loved Joxer but couldn't find it anywhere over there, and bought it again within a week of returning.

Dodge
05/01/2007, 6:48 PM
Screamadelica - Primal Scream
Definitely Maybe - Oasis (as Gustavo above)

SligoBrewer
05/01/2007, 7:36 PM
The Strokes - Is This It
Damien Rice - O

The Good Son
06/01/2007, 8:37 AM
London Calling - The Clash
The Clock Comes Down The Stairs - Microdisney
Metal Box - Public Image Ltd.

stann
06/01/2007, 8:42 PM
Some of the ones that've had to be reaquired:

Massive Attack - Blue Lines. What a wonderful record. Reminds me of good days.
Scritti Politti - Cupid & Psyche '85. One of the most perfect pop albums ever made.
De La Soul - 3 Feet High & Rising. Again reminds me of the times. And it's the best Hiphop album ever, bar none.
Television - Marquee Moon. Another great record. The picture inside the sleeve made me want to start a band. It's not on the CD. And I never did...

Neish
06/01/2007, 8:46 PM
Massive Attack - Blue Lines. What a wonderful record. Reminds me of good days.

Classic Album

Lionel Ritchie
07/01/2007, 10:18 AM
Murder Ballads by Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds

Honourable mentions...

Exile On Cold Harbour Lane by Alabama 3
Master of Puppets by Metallica
Sumday by Grandaddy

Risteard
07/01/2007, 12:23 PM
the one album you have bought , lost, bought again,

Spiritualized - Let It Come Down.
Very sad. *

*As in sad sad, not embarrassing sad.

Schumi
07/01/2007, 7:43 PM
Air - Moon Safari
Perfect.

Spiritualized - Let It Come Down. Good album, prefer Floating In Space though.

beautifulrock
07/01/2007, 8:14 PM
nebraska - Bruce
Exodus - Bob, both hit the spot for me although always hard to narrow it down.

Risteard
08/01/2007, 12:49 AM
Good album, prefer Floating In Space though.

I was actually just answering the question in that its the only album i've bought twice but it is a favourite and definitely prefer it to LAGWAFIS.
Its one of very few albums i have aside for certain moods.
As for Moon Safari, i'd never lose that in the first place.

Magicme
08/01/2007, 9:20 AM
Complete Stone Roses or The Very Best of the Stone Roses so that I had all their classics. Would also bring John Mayer Continium & possibly Michael Franti Yell Fire. Isnt this a bit obsolete now coz instead of bringing one CD we could all bring mp3 players with all our fav tracks on?

Schumi
08/01/2007, 10:40 AM
As for Moon Safari, i'd never lose that in the first place.I haven't either but if I did... :D

jebus
08/01/2007, 1:58 PM
As for Moon Safari, i'd never lose that in the first place.

I thought I had, bought it again and of course it turned up within five minutes of me getting home with my new copy

Paddyfield
08/01/2007, 10:23 PM
The Queen is Dead - The Smiths

Laid - James

citizenerased
08/01/2007, 11:04 PM
Libertines-up the bracket
The Strokes-Is this it
Radiohead - the bends

Rovers1
09/01/2007, 12:42 AM
Achtung baby,
(whats the story) morning glory,
the bends,
american idiot

Aldini98
09/01/2007, 11:18 AM
Ritual De Lo Habitual - Janes Addiction - THE perfect album.

superfrank
09/01/2007, 11:24 AM
Simple.

Purple Rain-Prince.

It has a bit of everything on there. Rock, funk, pop. It's great album. And Purple Rain itself is one of the best songs I've ever heard.

GuisaSaigon
09/01/2007, 8:40 PM
Massive attack - blue lines
Stone roses - stone roses
air- moon safari
leftfield - leftism
Ska mania - ska compilation

Dr.Nightdub
10/01/2007, 12:48 AM
Pretty sure London Calling is the only album I've got on vinyl, cassette and CD. If I could be arsed evolving even further, to an MP3 player, I'd have it on that as well. There's a reason for that.

Block G Raptor
10/01/2007, 1:48 AM
Texas: white on Blonde & recurring Dream : the very best of crowded house I've had them for Donkey's and still give them a regular airing

Magicme
10/01/2007, 8:20 AM
Yeah Crowded House best of is a great great album... saved it to my computer in work and it chills me out when am a bit stressed! The most perfect harmonies ever.

The Good Son
10/01/2007, 8:43 AM
Pretty sure London Calling is the only album I've got on vinyl, cassette and CD. If I could be arsed evolving even further, to an MP3 player, I'd have it on that as well. There's a reason for that.
Have you not got it twice on CD Doc? Did you not sell out to The Man (like I did, sorry Joe) and buy the re-released Vanilla Tapes version?

noby
10/01/2007, 10:45 AM
Tindersticks - Tindersticks

Bought it on tape. Stereo chewed up tape morning before gig. Paniced. Bought on tape again. Bought on cd - a combination of evolution, and the tape being played to death.

Dr.Nightdub
10/01/2007, 1:02 PM
Have you not got it twice on CD Doc? Did you not sell out to The Man (like I did, sorry Joe) and buy the re-released Vanilla Tapes version?

Nah. Though I still have this general feeling that the fact that Clash CDs exist at all is just WRONG. The Clash belong on vinyl and that's it, end of.

I also have Inflammable Material on vinyl as well as on CD - the CD version has a few "bonus tracks" which are B-sides that I already have on vinyl; but just the fact that I bought an album re-issued with "bonus tracks" made me feel vaguely unclean.

The Good Son
10/01/2007, 1:16 PM
Nah. Though I still have this general feeling that the fact that Clash CDs exist at all is just WRONG. The Clash belong on vinyl and that's it, end of.

I think Mr. Big Record Company Executive Man knows that you are probably right. They bought out a singles box set last year on CD, and to the best of my knowledge all packaging is in the form of the original 7 inch sized sleeves. I was strong this time though and didn't buy it. The fact that I've already got everything on them at least once already, most on vinyl, probably helped (I was still tempted though).