PDA

View Full Version : Ireland to play Ecuador and Bolivia in May

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6

Metrostars
05/01/2007, 1:42 AM
So says the official website of the FEF - Federación Ecuatoriana de Fútbol:

Guayaquil, enero 2).- La selección ecuatoriana de fútbol jugará siete partidos amistosos antes de la realización de la Copa América de Venezuela, ante sus similares de Suecia en dos ocasiones, Estados Unidos, México, Irlanda, Bolivia y Perú.
Frente a Irlanda:
23 de mayo en Nueva York

http://www.ecuafutbol.org/UI/detalle.aspx?seccion=1&categserie=7&nivel=0&subnivel=0&id=9016&tabla=N

If this is true and given Ireland has no June Euro qualifiers like other teams, we probably will play a couple other teams in the US at the same time.

Dodge
05/01/2007, 2:37 AM
Makes sense with no home friendlies

YankExile
05/01/2007, 3:06 AM
On a silly whim, I ran this through Babelfish:

Guayaquil, January 2). - The Ecuadorian selection of soccer will play seven friendly parties before the accomplishment of the America Glass of Venezuela, before its similars of Sweden in two occasions, the United States, Mexico, Ireland, Bolivia and Peru... In front of Ireland: 23 of May in New York

SaucyJack
05/01/2007, 12:28 PM
Frente a Irlanda:
23 de mayo en Nueva York

do they mean the Meadowlands in New Jersey?....cause I don't recall any internationals taking place in the greater NY area....curious to see where in New York this match would take place.

Metrostars
05/01/2007, 12:40 PM
Frente a Irlanda:
23 de mayo en Nueva York

do they mean the Meadowlands in New Jersey?....cause I don't recall any internationals taking place in the greater NY area....curious to see where in New York this match would take place.

Yes that would be Giants Stadium. The NY Red Bulls are building a new 25000 seater stadium a few miles away from GS in Harrison(next to Newark) but it wont be ready until next year.

bwagner
05/01/2007, 12:43 PM
Guys its also confirmed on the fifa website , why is fai the last to post fixtures.
Iam very happy about this , we will probably play the states or Mexico I reckon, there is bound to be more than one game as the travelling

drummerboy
05/01/2007, 12:52 PM
The FAI announced on the Radio 1 lunchtime news that we are to play Norway away. They said they were negotiating other fixtures but didn't mention anything about Ecudor. Opps my mind is going according to post below its Denmark.

Metrostars
05/01/2007, 12:55 PM
Guys its also confirmed on the fifa website , why is fai the last to post fixtures.
Iam very happy about this , we will probably play the states or Mexico I reckon, there is bound to be more than one game as the travelling

The US and Mexico both have international competitions in June(Concacaf Gold Cup) and July(Copa America) so they both will be needing friendlies to prepare. Also, Mexico actually plays more friendlies in the US than in Mexico but usually in LA or Houston. But there are usually a good few internationals that time of year around the US mainly between countries from South America. Canada could also be a possibility.

DeNiro
05/01/2007, 1:00 PM
The FAI announced on the Radio 1 lunchtime news that we are to play Norway away. They said they were negotiating other fixtures but didn't mention anything about Ecudor. Opps my mind is going according to post below its Denmark.

Yeh, it's Denmark. 22 August. That should be a useful run out.

NY Hoop
05/01/2007, 1:21 PM
http://www.fifa.com/en/mens/fixtures/index/0,2525,0-IRL-F,00.html

KOH

theworm2345
06/01/2007, 9:06 PM
I'll be there as long as I can get out of the last period in school

P.S.
How about another international here in Chicago?

Chicago AOH
07/01/2007, 7:34 AM
If Ireland were gonna play a game at Soldier Field or at Toyota park, they should play Poland to get a full house...
Northern Ireland played last summer too against Romania. Not sure what the gate was though...

Whatever happened to the US Nike Cup?

Paddy Garcia
07/01/2007, 4:08 PM
[QUOTE=theworm2345;599664]I'll be there as long as I can get out of the last period in school
[QUOTE]

No worries, I'll write you a note. ;)

Fergie's Son
07/01/2007, 6:23 PM
I can pick you up as well Worm as I am in Chicago. Would rather see the match at Toyota Park as it's a better football venue than Soldier Field.

theworm2345
07/01/2007, 11:55 PM
I'd say Soldier Field simply because its bigger and the 1 Fire game I ever bothered going to had a decent atmosphere (for an MLS game), though I've never been to Toyota Park

bwagner
08/01/2007, 7:11 AM
As we are going to the states that clueless fool stan should have a look at this joe lapira kid, why not , he is very keen to play for Ireland. I t cant hurt.

Dotsy
08/01/2007, 10:34 AM
According to the Irish Times the Bolivian FA are saying they will play Ireland in May in Boston.

cclinton
08/01/2007, 3:17 PM
As we are going to the states that clueless fool stan should have a look at this joe lapira kid, why not , he is very keen to play for Ireland. I t cant hurt.

How do you define "have a look" in this instance?

US College soccer is at best at the level of a high level regional league such as the LSL, and not anyway near as physical. It has little revelance to the professional game, given some of the different rules and the length of the competitive season. By his own admission this kid never set things alight on his prior teams. But ok, he might be a late developer and it would be a shame to miss out if he did eventually turn into another Brian McBride. I'd be interested in the context of how Stan could possibly "have a look" in this case.

Metrostars
08/01/2007, 4:56 PM
How do you define "have a look" in this instance?

US College soccer is at best at the level of a high level regional league such as the LSL, and not anyway near as physical. It has little revelance to the professional game, given some of the different rules and the length of the competitive season. By his own admission this kid never set things alight on his prior teams. But ok, he might be a late developer and it would be a shame to miss out if he did eventually turn into another Brian McBride. I'd be interested in the context of how Stan could possibly "have a look" in this case.

Up until a few years ago, ALL US players came through the college system e.g. Reyna, Freidel, Keller, McBride, Bocanegra, Dempsey, Howard. It is only recently that some players opt out of college and join an MLS or European club e.g. Spector, Beasley, Adu. Some players still come through college but not as many before. The point that I am making is that US College soccer is still quite relavant and still produces some decent players. It's a moot point anyway as I'm sure Stan would never call him up anyway plus he has a higher profile in US soccer circles since his Hermann Trophy win thus leading to a probable call up by the US U-23 side.

theworm2345
08/01/2007, 11:57 PM
I got an email from the FAI saying that the only confirmed match was Denmark.
He said there has been speculation about other possible fixtures though nothing has been finalized
He also said he'd pass on my request for a match in Chicago to the right people :cool:

ken foree
09/01/2007, 6:36 PM
According to the Irish Times the Bolivian FA are saying they will play Ireland in May in Boston.

yeahooo, thanks for that dotsy!

Closed Account 2
22/03/2007, 7:42 PM
Lads are these matches going ahead still ? Are the dates confirmed?

Any idea how we can get our hands on some tickets ?

danonion
23/03/2007, 12:44 AM
when the tickets go on sale you (plural, general) can give PM me and I can get them from my pub and pass them on, they have better prices than ticketmaster usually

RogerMilla
29/03/2007, 12:51 PM
going to bump this thread up as i want to discuss this tour now , i didnt exactly make that clear on my thread that got locked. ( apologies for that) anyway loads of new caps and a few bad results would be the ideal result i reckon so as to have ther players nicely stoked up for slovakia !

eirebhoy
29/03/2007, 1:07 PM
This tour hasn't been confirmed by the FAI. Could they just have registered the games but not actually decided whether to go?

RogerMilla
29/03/2007, 1:17 PM
surely they lose a few quid if they pull out though ? also the other teams ecuador and columbia must have a solid booking to be in the US at the same time? more likely the FAI have been to busy to sort it out and will get on the case now

harps1954
29/03/2007, 1:47 PM
It was reported (Stauton quoted and all) that we were to play Ecuador in the Giants Stadium in New York on Wednesday 23rd May and Bolivia in the Gillette Stadium in Boston on Saturday 26th May.

However, if you go into the website for Giants Stadium there is no mention of the match and if you go to the website for the Gillette Stadium (http://www.gillettestadium.com/event_calendar/index.cfm) you will see that NE Revolution are playing Kansas City Wizards on the same day as we are due to play Bolivia.

So, you're guess is as good as mine as to whether or not these games will be played.

NY Hoop
29/03/2007, 2:13 PM
It was reported (Stauton quoted and all) that we were to play Ecuador in the Giants Stadium in New York on Wednesday 23rd May and Bolivia in the Gillette Stadium in Boston on Saturday 26th May.

However, if you go into the website for Giants Stadium there is no mention of the match and if you go to the website for the Gillette Stadium (http://www.gillettestadium.com/event_calendar/index.cfm) you will see that NE Revolution are playing Kansas City Wizards on the same day as we are due to play Bolivia.

So, you're guess is as good as mine as to whether or not these games will be played.

They're on alright. The latter one will be a double header. I hope my country wins these and all games.

KOH

RogerMilla
29/03/2007, 2:26 PM
http://www.fai.ie/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=1664

eirebhoy
29/03/2007, 2:52 PM
haha, I didn't realise it was announced by the FAI.

Nailer77
29/03/2007, 3:54 PM
Seeing as these games are going to happen now, what are you looking for from them? Personally I couldn't give a sh1te if we lost them both provided we saw some encouraging performances from some of the new lads. I think we need to take a proper look at O'Dea, Stokes, Stephen Quinn, Kelly, Long, Garvan and maybe Hawkins or McCarthy of Leicester. And we should use the games to give the other keepers a bit of game time especially Doyle.

Poor Student
29/03/2007, 5:29 PM
I'd like to see us playing our strongest side available and them getting some much needed experience playing together with a little less pressure. Staunton overlooked the opportunity to do this last year and I think we suffered for it. I think the longer we can keep this winning streak/unbeaten run together then the less pressure on Staunton and the boys. You may argue friendlies are unimportant but the Chile and certainly the Holland game didn't augur well for the early campaign.

I think B games can be used to look at the likes of O'Dea, Stokes etc. We're not playing enough of them.

danonion
29/03/2007, 6:16 PM
Seeing as these games are going to happen now, what are you looking for from them? Personally I couldn't give a sh1te if we lost them both provided we saw some encouraging performances from some of the new lads. I think we need to take a proper look at O'Dea, Stokes, Stephen Quinn, Kelly, Long, Garvan and maybe Hawkins or McCarthy of Leicester. And we should use the games to give the other keepers a bit of game time especially Doyle.

Given to reach 82 caps :D

RogerMilla
30/03/2007, 9:27 AM
we have got to put our best team out both games, we can do a sven goran errikksonesque swap around at half time if needs be to get the new caps soem experience but this team now needs more time together. likewise the denmark game

harps1954
30/03/2007, 9:55 AM
There is a good chance of a strong squad heading to the States, however not as much room for the fringe players. But from the team that played on Wednesday night, we could be missing John O'Shea, Aidan McGeady, Steve Finnan and Paul McShane. They fly out the same day as the FA Cup Final (which could have O'Shea playing in it), the Scottish Cup Final is the following Saturday (same day as the second game in USA), which could rule out McGeady and O'Dea if Celtic get there while there are numerous players who may have been selected still involved with teams in the play-offs in England. United and/or Liverpool could be in the Champions League Final which would rule out Finnan in addition to O'Shea - so three of Wednesday's back four would need to be changed. Players currently involved with teams that could make the play-offs are Doyle and Kelly at Birmingham; Stokes, Connolly, Miller, Eillot, Murphy and Kavanagh at Sunderland; Henderson at Preston; McShane at West Brom and McPhail at Cardiff and I'm sure there are others.

Nailer77
30/03/2007, 10:55 AM
I think B games can be used to look at the likes of O'Dea, Stokes etc. We're not playing enough of them.

But what if Dunne or McShane get injured? We're extremely limited when it comes to CB's and we need to get these guys involved in the senior set up now so that they can familiarise themselves with it and be ready to step into the breach when required and B internationals are of no use in that case, the same goes for goalkeepers, we need to look at the merits of Doyle and Supple because again if Given gets injured the guy that comes in has to be familiar with those in front of him. I'm not suggesting wholesale changes a la Eriksson but we have to integrate these guys while we have the chance. You could reasonably pick a team with 7 or 8 regulars and a sprinkling of new guys. We have to do it in these friendlies in my opinion, its shortsighted if we don't.

tin tin
30/03/2007, 11:58 AM
These games are ideal to blood young players. What is the point of going over there to play two less than average teams with a team of players we already know all about. Our back up keepers need experience, which is the point Roy keane tried to make the other day when talking about Given

eirebhoy
30/03/2007, 9:53 PM
There is a good chance of a strong squad heading to the States, however not as much room for the fringe players. But from the team that played on Wednesday night, we could be missing John O'Shea, Aidan McGeady, Steve Finnan and Paul McShane. They fly out the same day as the FA Cup Final (which could have O'Shea playing in it), the Scottish Cup Final is the following Saturday (same day as the second game in USA)
Ah ffs. This was the ideal time for McGeady to settle in.

At the end of last season Strachan pulled Maloney out of the Scotland squad to play in a tour of Japan. He still hasn't broken into the team and I personally think he's their best player. McGeady will miss this tour and will probably have to wait for the next campaign now. I certainly wouldn't be confident if he was to play in Slovakia. I said before Wednesday's match that it was 50/50 whether McGeady would play well. I think it's about bloody 10/90 for the next competitive.

kingdom hoop
30/03/2007, 10:14 PM
These games are ideal to blood young players. What is the point of going over there to play two less than average teams with a team of players we already know all about. Our back up keepers need experience, which is the point Roy keane tried to make the other day when talking about Given

we may know the players but we need to settle on a system/style that will be used come september. i wouldnt play too many newcomers in the one match, maybe 3 or 4, such as doyle in goal, st.ledger at CB, folan up front

Kivlehan
02/04/2007, 11:20 PM
Any idea when these tickets should be on sale?

danonion
02/04/2007, 11:28 PM
Ah ffs. This was the ideal time for McGeady to settle in.

At the end of last season Strachan pulled Maloney out of the Scotland squad to play in a tour of Japan. He still hasn't broken into the team and I personally think he's their best player. McGeady will miss this tour and will probably have to wait for the next campaign now. I certainly wouldn't be confident if he was to play in Slovakia. I said before Wednesday's match that it was 50/50 whether McGeady would play well. I think it's about bloody 10/90 for the next competitive.

It'll take him a right while to break into the Celtic first XI since he plays for Aston Villa.

tetsujin1979
03/04/2007, 12:41 AM
Think eirebhoy meant the Scotland team, not Celtic

danonion
03/04/2007, 2:13 AM
oh, i'm a dumbass.

Bottle of Tonic
03/04/2007, 8:17 PM
I would not be expecting anything from these games. End of season friendlies are notoriously turgid affairs. I predict a half strength squad goes out, completed by players likely to be no where near our first 11 when the competitive stuff starts up again. It'll be a couple of games bereft of pace in the summer sun, half the players laid up with 'injuries', the half playing thinking of their few weeks off coming up. The only benefit we might get would be one we won't see at the time, like maybe a new cap getting the debut out of his system, or a bit of team bonding/banter between players who don't get to see much of each other. I'd be eternally surprised if we see any good football, or any meaningful tactical advancement.

Pity about McGeady as ye are saying (thats if the Hoops can account for a sticky St. Johnstone on April 14!) cos he would be the one player I could see getting actual footballing benefit from these fixtures. Still think he's a fantastic player and would be very surprised if he doesn't come good for Ireland in years to come. Still only 20.

danonion
03/04/2007, 10:08 PM
I see big potential for these games, if the FAI do it properly. There are huge pockets of wannabe Irish (3rd generation types) here on the east coast, who look to embrace anything Irish (even if they have no fundamental understanding of the culture). The FAI should take the oppurtunity to take their money, in essence do some brand building here in the United States. Send a half strength squad with a few big names, use squad numbers and names on the jerseys to appeal to thse american youths and then they'd be fit tp bring in some serious money selling shirts. Plenty of people here shell out to buy Celtic tops et cetera, big market for the plastics here.

Condex
03/04/2007, 10:24 PM
oh, i'm a dumbass.

I didn't like to say, you being so objective and all that!!!

SkStu
03/04/2007, 10:50 PM
Kevin Doyle needs some experience in goals.

i think he should stick with being a striker for now... ;)

Galwayexile
10/04/2007, 4:01 PM
Anyone have any idea if the tickets gone on sale for the game yet. I know its a double header with the revs game against kansas that night.

My parents are over that week so i was thinking of bringing my dad to the game. Tried ticketmaster but they have no mention of the game.

Dodge
10/04/2007, 4:18 PM
http://www.revolutionsoccer.net/TicketPackages/

Keep an eye on that page

geysir
11/04/2007, 1:17 PM
http://www.revolutionsoccer.net/TicketPackages/
I fancy the Beckham 4 pack.
Soccer icon David Beckham and the L.A. Galaxy come to the Gillette ("The Best a Man Can Get.") Stadium on Sunday, August 12th. Purchase a Beckham 4-pack of tickets and see the following games .....
Also part of the Beckham 4-pack is a free commemorative photo!