PDA

View Full Version : Drogheda are in trouble...

Xlex
21/11/2002, 2:04 PM
PFAI (www.pfai.ie)

Drogheda Players Statement

The Players of Drogheda United have requested the Professional Footballers Association of Ireland to issue the following statement on their behalf.

Statement from the Players of Drogheda United FC. 21st November 2002 Following a players meeting after training last night. The Players of Drogheda United have agreed to the request by the Club for a further 24 hours to resolve the issue regarding outstanding monies owed to the players. Despite a willingness on the players part to defer a percentage of their wages and the best efforts of the players and their representatives to broker a solution and the failure of the club to show evidence that the players are insured to play. The player have been left with no alternative put to issue the club with notice that if an agreement cannot be reached by 11 am tomorrow, Friday 22nd November the Players will not participate in the game against St. Patricks Athletic which is due to take place the same evening. End

pete
21/11/2002, 3:27 PM
Did drogs go ahead with their addition of 6-7 fulltime players earlier this season?

case of running before walking perhaps?

Schumi
21/11/2002, 4:06 PM
Originally posted by pete
Certainly looks that way.

They said in their match programme against us that they'd have 10 full time players in the near future (or something to that effect). I assumed that O2 (or some other sponsor) had given them a $hit load of money to pay for that but obviously not.

UCD_4_Life
21/11/2002, 6:30 PM
I've got the programme in front of me and looking at it now it's quite funny.

"We aren't a wealthy club and money we have generated has come through consistent improvements in structures, ingenuity and hard work...Our club lotto will also be revamped and become a cornerstone of Drogheda's fundraising".

It goes in a similar way. Basing your clubs financial future around selling lotto tickets for the half time draw isn't exactly a sound financial move, is it?

Éanna
24/11/2002, 7:12 PM
Originally posted by pete
Did drogs go ahead with their addition of 6-7 fulltime players earlier this season?

I think thats it exactly

UCD_4_Life
24/11/2002, 7:30 PM
Apparently if Drogheda survive until the pre-season then they'll be getting a fair bit of money from O2.