PDA

View Full Version : Team of Shamrock Rovers Irish internationals

OwlsFan
04/01/2007, 7:14 AM
All the following have played for the Hoops and also have been capped by Ireland.

- Mick Smyth -
Jim Beglin - Peter Eccles - Jacko McDonagh - Paddy Mulligan
Tommy Eglington - Liam O'Brien - Pat Byrne - Frank O'Neill
Mick Leech - Damien Richardson

Are there other League of Ireland Club teams which can also field an Irish XI from their ranks? I am pretty sure Bohs and Shels can.

Superhoops
04/01/2007, 7:31 AM
Are there other League of Ireland Club teams which can also field an Irish XI from their ranks? I am pretty sure Bohs and Shels can.
Assume you mean teams made up of players who played for Ireland but not neccessarily while they were playing for the club?

OwlsFan
04/01/2007, 9:00 AM
Yep, although at least 7 of those were capped when playing for Rovers.

drummerboy
04/01/2007, 9:18 AM
All the following have played for the Hoops and also have been capped by Ireland.

- Mick Smyth -

I think you can add Mick Meagan to that list.

WeAreRovers
04/01/2007, 9:24 AM
We've had 62 players capped for Ireland while playing for Rovers. Miles and miles ahead of any other club - like most football records in this country. ;)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shamrock_Rovers

KOH

geysir
04/01/2007, 11:26 AM
We've had 62 players capped for Ireland while playing for Rovers. Miles and miles ahead of any other club - like most football records in this country. ;)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shamrock_Rovers

I wouldn't want to píss on anyone's parade but are you sure they were capped while playing for Rovers?

Dundalk's modest statistics are 11 capped while playing for the club. http://homepage.tinet.ie/~chip/orielweb.html
So Stan or Tommy Trainor and others are not included.

WeAreRovers
04/01/2007, 12:24 PM
I wouldn't want to píss on anyone's parade but are you sure they were capped while playing for Rovers?

Of course it's while they were at Rovers, it wouldn't count otherwise. I know it's a huge number but we are Rovers after all.

KOH

Calcio Jack
04/01/2007, 12:30 PM

- Mick Smyth -

Not a bad choice but I'd prefer to see Giles in midfield, Ray Treacy up front and the legend Eamon Fagan in defence.... Fagan is a legend because he holds the record of being the player with the least pitch time as an international... he came on for the final 7 minutes of a game against Norway and in fact didn't even touch the ball once...sheer class

joeSoap
04/01/2007, 12:34 PM

- Mick Smyth -

Are there other League of Ireland Club teams which can also field an Irish XI from their ranks? I am pretty sure Bohs and Shels can.Can someone please explain to me why one of the greatest ever midfielders to ever play the game hasn't made this team??:confused: :confused:

gspain
04/01/2007, 12:40 PM
Can someone please explain to me why one of the greatest ever midfielders to ever play the game hasn't made this team??:confused: :confused:

Agreed Dunphy should be in the team even if not capped at Rovers. :D

Giles wasn't too bad either. Pretty sure he was capped while at Rovers too.

osarusan
04/01/2007, 12:40 PM
Can someone please explain to me why one of the greatest ever midfielders to ever play the game hasn't made this team??:confused: :confused:

Because Daithi McMahon never played for Rovers or Ireland:D

WeAreRovers
04/01/2007, 12:45 PM
the legend Eamon Fagan in defence....

Careful now, er, Jack. ;)

KOH

pineapple stu
04/01/2007, 12:49 PM
I assume this is only senior international? I think UCD could get a team with U-21 or B...

1. Shay Kelly (B)
2. Hugh Davey (NI U-21)
3. Willie Browne (B)
4. Conor Kenna (U-21 call-up...)
5. Clive Delaney (U-21)
6. Gary Dicker (U-21)
7. Tony McDonnell (U-21 call-up...)
8. Ciarán Martyn (U-21)
9. Mick O'Byrne (U-21)
10. Robbie Doyle (U-21)
11. Joe Hanrahan (Must have been capped at U-21 level anyway)

Subs -
12. Darren Quigley (B)
13. Barry Ryan (U-21)
14. Jason Sherlock (U-21)

Not quite the same thing, but anyway! You've also got Kevin Moran (senior) and Peter Lorimer (senior) who were capped but not while at UCD.

eirebhoy
04/01/2007, 1:28 PM
OwlsFan, I think I should PM you every time I reply to your posts. :D ;) You could make about 3 teams of Rovers internationals from Ringsend alone.

http://foot.ie/showpost.php?p=594169&postcount=102

OwlsFan
04/01/2007, 4:38 PM

- Mick Smyth -

I have highlighted those capped while playing for Rovers although possibly Richardson got his caps playing for Gillingham. I am not sure about Pat Byrne but I know I can exchange Eamon Gregg for Paddy Mulligan at right full back.

Any other players we can exchange there in their positions?

lopez
04/01/2007, 8:49 PM
Shocked no Giles. :eek: Capped against Denmark, NI, England, Bulgaria and W. Germany while at the club. I saw Pat Byrne against Iceland and Czechoslovakia in 86. He must be the last player capped from the club. Liam O'Brien - one of the 'Oirish lads' according to Big Jack - capped against Uruguay same year.

Dodge
04/01/2007, 8:59 PM
Don't remember Gregg playing for Rovers. Defnitely won his caps with Bohs anyway.

wws
04/01/2007, 10:13 PM
wonder if they had any capped whilst in the first division?

Superhoops
04/01/2007, 10:34 PM
I have highlighted those capped while playing for Rovers although possibly Richardson got his caps playing for Gillingham. I am not sure about Pat Byrne but I know I can exchange Eamon Gregg for Paddy Mulligan at right full back.

Jim Beglin went to Liverpool in May 1983, won his first cap against China in June 1984.
Paddy Mulligan won his first 6 caps playing for Rovers.
Tommy Eglington won his first 2 caps inside a week in June 1946 while still a Rovers player. He went to Everton that summer and was a 'Blue' when he got his third cap against England in September.
Liam O'Brien won his first cap while a Rovers player against Uruguay in Dublin in April 1986, the same game where Peter Eccles got his 10 minutes of fame when he got his only cap coming in as a sub in the 80th minute for Chris Hughton.
Pat Byrne won all his 8 caps while playing for Rovers.

.....the legend Eamon Fagan in defence.... Fagan is a legend because he holds the record of being the player with the least pitch time as an international... he came on for the final 7 minutes of a game against Norway and in fact didn't even touch the ball once...sheer class
The records show that Eamon Fagan came in the 79th minute as a sub for Ray Treacy, making an international career of 11 minutes, one minute longer than that of fellow Rover Peter Eccles.

Don't remember Gregg playing for Rovers. Defnitely won his caps with Bohs anyway.
Eamonn Gregg won all 8 caps in 1978/79 while playing for Bohs.

geysir
05/01/2007, 12:26 AM
- Mick Smyth -
I'll probably end up on someone's heresy hitlist but afair, Richardson was a midfielder and was a very average player.
Unless your are fixed on a big man up front, then stick in Paddy Coad or Liam Touhy up front.

Calcio Jack
05/01/2007, 7:14 AM
The records show that Eamon Fagan came in the 79th minute as a sub for Ray Treacy, making an international career of 11 minutes, one minute longer than that of fellow Rover Peter Eccles.

And in one fell swoop the hero of ones boyhood is decimated :eek: tell me it isn't true...where's your evidence

OwlsFan
05/01/2007, 8:54 AM
I'll probably end up on someone's heresy hitlist but afair, Richardson was a midfielder and was a very average player.
Unless your are fixed on a big man up front, then stick in Paddy Coad or Liam Touhy up front.

Dao wasn't a midfielder. Centre forward. I was behind the goal in Milltown chanting his name at corners: "Dao, Dao, Dao" with the rest of the supporters as he tried to be anonymous. Very good in the air and a target man

NY Hoop
05/01/2007, 10:43 AM

And in one fell swoop the hero of ones boyhood is decimated :eek: tell me it isn't true...where's your evidence

True "Jack". Peter has the record for the shortest international "career".

KOH

geysir
05/01/2007, 1:23 PM
Dao wasn't a midfielder. Centre forward. I was behind the goal in Milltown chanting his name at corners: "Dao, Dao, Dao" with the rest of the supporters as he tried to be anonymous. Very good in the air and a target man
I stand corrected. I didn't see him much after '70 and thought he was a midfielder and he obviously developed enough to get a few caps.

Superhoops
05/01/2007, 7:07 PM

And in one fell swoop the hero of ones boyhood is decimated - tell me it isn't true...where's your evidence
Jack, there is still hope!!!!

The records do not show how much additional/injury time was played at the end of each match. Now, if in the Peter Eccles game (v Uruguay in 1986) there was two minutes less additional/injury time played that in the Eamon Fagan game (v Norway in 1973), then Fagan could reclaim the record!!!! ;)

You would need to check with the referees though. :)

A Mr.Martin from England referreed the 1986 game and a Mr.Hirviniemi from Finland refereed the 1973 game.

I do not have their addresses to hand!!!, but you could always try contact them through their respective FA's :D

Stuttgart88
05/01/2007, 7:19 PM
Did Buckley & Campbell not get capped in the 80s? I seem to recall both being in the squads at least when we played back to back friendlies against Mexico and Poland at Dalyer c. 1984. End of season.

Dodge
05/01/2007, 7:24 PM
Buckley got 2 caps for defnite. 1 with Rovers, 1 with waregem. Think Campbell got one but might've been with Santander

Superhoops
05/01/2007, 9:20 PM
Buckley got 2 caps for defnite. 1 with Rovers, 1 with waregem. Think Campbell got one but might've been with Santander
Liam Buckley got his first cap when he came on as a sub. for Frank Stapleton in the 0-0 home game against Poland in May 1984. He was playing for Rovers at the time. His one full game and second cap was as a Waregem player in the 0-0 home game against Mexico in August 1984.

Alan Campbell got his three caps while playing for RC Santander. First as a sub. for John Byrne at home to Italy in February 1985. His second was three weeks later, when he played the full game in the 0-0 away game to Israel. His third and final game was in the 0-0 draw against Spain, played at Flower Lodge in May 1985.

OwlsFan
06/01/2007, 8:15 AM
Capped while playing at Rovers:

-Mick Smyth -
-Eamonn Fagan - Pierce O'Leary - Ronnie Nolan* - Paddy Mulligan
-Mick Kearin - Mick Lawlor - Johnny Fulham - Frank O'Neill
-Mick Leech - Damien Richardson

* Captain

Superhoops
06/01/2007, 9:57 AM
Capped while playing at Rovers:

-Mick Smyth -
-Eamonn Fagan - Pierce O'Leary - Ronnie Nolan* - Paddy Mulligan
-Mick Kearin - Mick Lawlor - Johnny Fulham - Frank O'Neill
-Mick Leech - Damien Richardson

* Captain
Not bad. How about moving Ronnie Nolan to right back instead of Fagan (only 11 minutes of international football) and putting in Noel Synnott, who won three caps in 1978, as a centre back.