PDA

View Full Version : The Gaffer Interview on RTE Radio 1

Wolfie
03/01/2007, 6:14 PM
Stan interview with Des Cahill this evening on RTE Radio 1

Got to hear this.

Still get the vibe that the plan is that there is no plan. Wing and a prayer stuff.

To look at it from a glass is half full perspective - there's a naive honesty to some of the comments but a lot of the sentiments come across inarticulate and half baked.

Thoughts on the interview folks?

bwagner
04/01/2007, 8:40 AM
Ah sure we all know he DOSENT HAVE A SCOOBY DO
do u have the link to the broad cast ????

Its such a pity he is coach because we have some lethal young guys coming up

Supple, Logan, Garvin .O Dea, S Quinn, Clarke , Mc Shane, Rooney the list goes on and on

gustavo
04/01/2007, 9:18 AM
TBH i dont think we have any more promising young players coming up than any other time over the last 10 yearse

pete
04/01/2007, 10:59 AM
TBH i dont think we have any more promising young players coming up than any other time over the last 10 yearse

I would be surprised if that true. No one remembers the young potential talent 10 years ago as most of them never progressed just like will happen to those listed above.

DeNiro
04/01/2007, 11:02 AM
Anyone got a podcast on this?

Irish_Praha
04/01/2007, 11:59 AM

You could be right. IMO there are slightly more promising young players coming up than 10 years ago but not as many as it seems. The intensified media coverage and the emergence of web forums such as this one give the young lads in the lower leagues/reserve teams/youth teams much more exposure than 10 years ago. Even if players with an Irish-sounding name scores a goal in the old 3rd division or the Championship reserves it gets some coverage on here. 10 years ago they would have been overlooked or bearly mentioned - maybe just in the list of Irish scorers in the Irish times.

It would be interesting to compare the number of Irish players with professional contracts in England today with 10 years ago. I would imagine that it has increased but not dramatically. Hopefully this increase results in more players making a big breakthrough than 10 years ago. We have only ever had a max. of 2 or 3 world-class players in the squad at one time (with a some additionl top-class players in the Charlton days). If the increase in promising young lads only results in us increasing that number to 3 to 4 world-class players that would IMO be a major improvement.

Wolfie
04/01/2007, 12:30 PM
Ah sure we all know he DOSENT HAVE A SCOOBY DO
do u have the link to the broad cast ????

Its such a pity he is coach because we have some lethal young guys coming up

Supple, Logan, Garvin .O Dea, S Quinn, Clarke , Mc Shane, Rooney the list goes on and on

Interesting that the Young Guns issue has arisen.

Stan was asked about Stokes last night and said that Stokes was a very young lad and that there'd be no rushed moves to add him to the team. He said the same about Stephen Quinn.

He did make the point that if he threw them in and if it didn't work out, it could damage their careers.

Thought McShane handled it well though!! I suppose one novice might blend in - maybe 2 or 3 is asking a bit much.

When asked about the lack of training time before the Wales game, Stan informed Cahill that on the night of the match at Croker "there will be a ball, a pitch, two goals and the players". Which is encouraging.

livehead1
04/01/2007, 1:31 PM
I would be surprised if that true. No one remembers the young potential talent 10 years ago as most of them never progressed just like will happen to those listed above.

What Exactly Are You On About?
Richard Dunne made his Everton debut around 10 years ago, aged 16
Robbie Keane made his Wolved debut around 8 years ago, aged 17
Damien Duff
Stephen Carr was 19 10 years ago, one of the most highly rated up and coming right backs
Ian Harte was also around the same age doing well at leeds 8 years ago

There are others, but i don't think the bunch coming through at the moment are going to be any better

galwayhoop
04/01/2007, 2:25 PM
Stan was asked about Stokes last night and said that Stokes was a very young lad and that there'd be no rushed moves to add him to the team...........He did make the point that if he threw them in and if it didn't work out, it could damage their careers.

maybe in theory, but look at the following:
robbie keane made his debut at 17
rooney debut with england (17).
michael owen (17)

the old saying if he's good enough he is old enough.

i know it sounds terrible but it is stan's responsibility to win games not worry about players longer term futures - remember erriccison (yes he is a twit and i can't spell his name) and him selecting rooney even though moyes was trying to only play him on rare occassions.

so much can happen to these great white hopes that you have to make hay when the sun shines. his career could end tomoro from injury, he could be the next mark kennedy (as mentioned above), stephen mcphail, phil babb (there was laughably talk of him being the new mcgrath back in the day!), stokes could slip into obsceurity and down the leagues but at this moment in time he is buzzing and deserves his game. a form striker is worth his weight in gold (toto schilacci at WC90 kept Vialli out due to his form and then he dissappeared).

take the gamble for fcuk sake! he should not only be in the squad for san marino but he should start with doyle. who are the alternatives:
keane (injured - may be back but he always needs a good run of games to reach his peak)
morrison - NEXT
duff - is he injured at the moment?
connolly - bangin them in for sunderland but has never really cut the mustard at international level.

it would do a fit keane and duff no harm to start on the bench for a game or two either IMO. they really believe their own hype and neither is setting the world alight in the EPL at the moment.

When asked about the lack of training time before the Wales game, Stan informed Cahill that on the night of the match at Croker "there will be a ball, a pitch, two goals and the players". Which is encouraging.
this is class - i nearly fell over when i read it in the paper at lunch - the man truly is a tactical genius. he should just say nothing.

citizenerased
04/01/2007, 2:38 PM
yeah ya have to love stauntons argument about stokes being too young, when he bring foockin terry dixon( who is 16) into the senior squad, when he cant even get a sniff of the spurs reserve team..

tetsujin1979
04/01/2007, 2:47 PM
yeah ya have to love stauntons argument about stokes being too young, when he bring foockin terry dixon( who is 16) into the senior squad, when he cant even get a sniff of the spurs reserve team..
He's out injured with a serious knee injury

galwayhoop
04/01/2007, 2:55 PM
alan o'brien so.

fact is dixon was called up for the training camp last year and with the squad for the subsequent friendly. all this and he still hadn't even made the spurs reserves!

Stan is not exactly what you would call consistant!

youngirish
04/01/2007, 3:45 PM
There are others, but i don't think the bunch coming through at the moment are going to be any better
I disagree. We have nearly an entire squad of 18-21 year olds coming through that are playing regular football for clubs in either the SPL, Premiership and Championship. When have we ever had so many promising youngsters coming through playing regular football for their clubs at such young ages? Never in my memory. Only the doom and gloom merchants seem to state otherwise.

People go on about the promising youngsters before like Kennedy, Partridge and Barrett that never cut it but all these were hyped up for no reason IMO. They did nothing in senior football to warrant any hype. The likes of Stokes, Clarke, Long, Garvan, Mc Geady, O'Dea, Foley, Keogh, Ireland (though I'm not too sure about him), St Ledger, S Quinn, McCann, Supple and J O'Brien (please recover soon) have all proved themselves as capable footballers at decent levels over the past season or so. The only thing I'll say for some of them is that they haven't proved themselves capable at the top level yet but all have played regularly at far better levels than Liverpool or Arsenal reserves. Indeed some will prove not to be up to the task of raising their games to be regular Premiership performers but by the law of averages a number should make it. I've been particularly impressed with Garvan and J O'Brien (last season) and have high hopes for both if they can steer clear of anymore injuries.

Also Carr was pure sh*t when he was 19 and anyone that says otherwise must never have seen him play at that age.

pete
04/01/2007, 3:54 PM
I disagree. We have nearly an entire squad of 18-21 year olds coming through that are playing regular football for clubs in either the SPL, Premiership and Championship.

Pre internet 10 years ago young players in the Championship & SPL clubs would not even be noticed by irish fans.

youngirish
04/01/2007, 4:00 PM
Pre internet 10 years ago young players in the Championship & SPL clubs would not even be noticed by irish fans.
Not true if you followed football you'd have noticed young Irish players playing regularly for their clubs in the Championship. I remember seeing Robbie Keane on his debut for Wolves scoring two goals and knew he was Irish and one for the future.

I have no worries about the Irish players we'll have for the future. It's the management that I have sleepless nights over.

geysir
04/01/2007, 4:42 PM
Also Carr was pure sh*t when he was 19 and anyone that says otherwise must never have seen him play at that age.
Then he must have been one of the fastest learners in the game. Pure shíte at 19. First team regular age 20, to player of the year age 22.

youngirish
04/01/2007, 4:46 PM
Then he must have been one of the fastest learners in the game. Pure shíte at 19. First team regular age 20, to player of the year age 22.
He was crap for his first couple of seasons. I remember watching him regularly. He improved dramatically in his early twenties.

DeNiro
04/01/2007, 4:48 PM
On the original topic of radio interviews. John Delaney is on with Matt Cooper after 6pm.

eirebhoy
04/01/2007, 4:54 PM
Delaney had a long interview with Pat Dolan on Setanta last week. I missed it though.

citizenerased
04/01/2007, 5:35 PM
delaney another fool...promising us a world class manager

Wolfie
04/01/2007, 6:26 PM
Don't want to be too much of a smart arse as the bloke is obviously finding the media part of the job a bit daunting at the minute - but I thought this was almost Spinal Tapesque in its dead pan/ oblivious to irony delivery.

Cahill From your long international playing career, can you name any of the really great moments at Lansdowne?

Stan All of them

:D

First to admit that too much of a talker is not a good thing either - but found the above tragically funny.

The Legend
04/01/2007, 10:32 PM
Since I don't live in Ireland anymore... do Apres Match do a good impression of Stan? There's plenty of material for them.

Noelys Guitar
04/01/2007, 10:54 PM
Was Staunton asked by Cahill the following. Had he seen Stokes play for Falkirk in Scotland?

Qwerty
04/01/2007, 10:57 PM
I'm not sure there really are that many more players capable of breaking through to the senior team now versus 10 years ago - and really making an impact. Time will tell.

Kennedy, Connolly, O'Neill, Harte, Carr, Kilbane, Dunne, Keane, Duff, McPhail all spring to mind as players who broke into the senior team about 10 years ago. How many of those will be 'legends' as it were? Duff & Keane certainly. Dunne has it all to do.

Of the list mentioned by an earlier poster:
Stokes, Clarke, Long, Garvan, Mc Geady, O'Dea, Foley, Keogh, Ireland, St Ledger, S Quinn, McCann, Supple and J O'Brien - can add McShane

It's very arguable if Clarke, Keogh, St ledger, S Quinn, Chris McCann, Long, Ireland will make the Irish first team and go on to become top class players.

McGeady, Foley, J O'Brien and Supple I feel will make it. O'Dea looks promising as does Stokes - the question is how good will they become.

Players have a tendency to plateau it seems or even move backwards ala JOSH, Jason Gavin, Alan Quinn, McPhail, Connolly, Kennedy etc and or get injured like Richard Sadlier, Keith O'Neill. And all those others that were 'promising' Barrett, Butler, James O'Connor etc.

Center midfield and center back is our real concern at the moment - so really we're looking at McShane, O'Dea, Garvan and O'Brien to step it up in the next 12 months, it doesn't look quite so hot when you look at it like that does it?

pete
05/01/2007, 9:45 AM
I've said it from day one that Stan should be sent on PR as well as assertiveness course.

Its easy to say Keane & Duff were noticed when they were 17 as they went on to full internationals. I'd be more impressed if could name 5-10 players who looked talented in 1995 but did not progress to anything.

youngirish
05/01/2007, 9:53 AM
Of the list mentioned by an earlier poster:
Stokes, Clarke, Long, Garvan, Mc Geady, O'Dea, Foley, Keogh, Ireland, St Ledger, S Quinn, McCann, Supple and J O'Brien - can add McShane

It's very arguable if Clarke, Keogh, St ledger, S Quinn, Chris McCann, Long, Ireland will make the Irish first team and go on to become top class players.

McGeady, Foley, J O'Brien and Supple I feel will make it. O'Dea looks promising as does Stokes - the question is how good will they become.

I don't agree. Bar major injuries or no progression at all (unlikely) I can't see the likes of Garvan, Stokes and Clarke not being Irish internationals. In fact I see Garvan as a better prospect than all those you mentioned (with the possible exception of J O'Brien). As for who will be a legend - no one can predict that but there are as mentioned a lot more talented young players about than in the recent past.

All you have to do is look to ten years ago to this day and see that one of our most exciting young prospects was a reserve team player for Watford in the old third division called David Connolly. He was even getting a regular game in the International team at the time. That in itself should show we didn't have anywhere near the same amount of talent 10 years ago. Deluded people just hyped up the best of a bad bunch. As for the other players wou mentioned Kilbane, Keane or McPhail weren't even on the horizon in 96/97, Kennedy was also a reserve team player, Dunne and Duff had just a handful of substitute appearances and Harte was sh*t. Only O'Neill could be considered at that time anything like a real prospect. It just doesn't compare to today. The majority of the players I mentioned are regular starters for their clubs and this is the difference.

geysir
05/01/2007, 2:07 PM
Was Staunton asked by Cahill the following. Had he seen Stokes play for Falkirk in Scotland?
It was hard to keep awake, 2 drones in stereo. Cahill is not a good interviewer, he's okay for chit chat.
Stan said something about having scouts all over the land watching players on his behalf.
Said something about that there are also negatives about pushing players too soon into the first 11 (maybe in relation to McShane)
He repeated the line about getting advice to go with his most experienced back 4 against Cyprus.
On the young players he has already made it clear about bringing them into the set up, it's just he didn't know how to do it. I think he's learnt a bit about that, the McShane debut and recalling Kelly for LB was some evidence.
Overall the press should treat Stan like they treated McGrath, keep their distance. Confine contact to good luck Stan, well done Stan or hard luck Stan. The confidence level in Stan drops a few notches everytime he opens his mouth to answer a question or venture into the world of idea articulation.

galwayhoop
05/01/2007, 2:36 PM
as has been said before he desperately needs training on how to handle the media. he lacks charisma in his own personality but if he got a bit of help possibly (/hopefully) he might interview better.

jack and mick had their own way of dealing with the media and if it means that he only talked to certain journalists then so be it - at the moment the gift grub skits sound like the real thing and his own interviesws like the jokes!

Wolfie
07/01/2007, 8:52 PM
as has been said before he desperately needs training on how to handle the media. he lacks charisma in his own personality but if he got a bit of help possibly (/hopefully) he might interview better.

Following on from a related thread.

Fear not - Noely's Guitar has found the answer. Check the link that he posted up below. :D

Cometh the hour, Cometh the Stan.

http://www.stevestanton.com/index2.html