PDA

View Full Version : Laptop vs Desktop

jebus
03/01/2007, 12:56 PM
I'm purchasing a new computer in the next few days and was just looking up whether I should stick with laptops, or go with a desktop computer. On one hand I could move about with my laptop, but on the other getting desktop seems to be cheaper. I have no computer knowledge whatsoever so does anyone have any input on whether a desktop is up to a laptop's standards, like maybe this desktop (http://www.pcworld.ie/productDetails.aspx?productRID=1842&image=Packard_Bell) vs this laptop (http://www.pcworld.ie/productDetails.aspx?productRID=1845&image=Compaq)

SligoBrewer
03/01/2007, 1:08 PM
I'm purchasing a new computer in the next few days and was just looking up whether I should stick with laptops, or go with a desktop computer. On one hand I could move about with my laptop, but on the other getting desktop seems to be cheaper. I have no computer knowledge whatsoever so does anyone have any input on whether a desktop is up to a laptop's standards, like maybe this desktop (http://www.pcworld.ie/productDetails.aspx?productRID=1842&image=Packard_Bell) vs this laptop (http://www.pcworld.ie/productDetails.aspx?productRID=1845&image=Compaq)

i have that laptop that you have up and im finding absolutely fine atm..
has absolutely everything that i need although u'll need 2 buy microsoft office seperate:mad:

really fast for football manager and the wi-fi is really handy;)

jebus
03/01/2007, 1:19 PM
really fast for football manager and the wi-fi is really handy;)

Sold!! :D cheers for that

Drumcondra Red
03/01/2007, 1:55 PM
I have that laptop too, love it!!! The clarity of the screen is fantastic, I've mainly used it for music etc atm, some internet browsing and FM is great on it, have to check about MS office, but no real headache, have a disk at home, although I thought it was on it...

pete
03/01/2007, 2:16 PM
What do want to use the machine for?

IMO Desktops are dead. Too much hassle. Laptops the way forward.

Raheny Red
03/01/2007, 4:01 PM
IMO Desktops are dead.

Hugs Desktop and lets her know she is still loved :D

Joking aside I think I would prefer a laptop tbh as you're not stuck in the same room all the time!

jebus
03/01/2007, 6:24 PM
What do want to use the machine for?

IMO Desktops are dead. Too much hassle. Laptops the way forward.

Mostly to play football manager, to scan and save my photography and to store music on. I thought that laptop looked the part alright, but thought I'd ask since I haven't really got an idea about the inner workings of computers

Tazskool
03/01/2007, 6:29 PM
depends what you want it for...

If you are not bothered about moving around.. want it to play games on and something easily upgradable (memory, hard drives and graphics card etc...) then you are looking at a desktop..

If you are not bothered about any of the above then a laptop it is...

CollegeTillIDie
06/01/2007, 8:27 AM
Well if you want it for playing Football Manager I would recommend Laptop cause you could play it anywhere at anytime suitable with the laptop.

Drumcondra Red
09/01/2007, 5:42 PM
Like when taking a dump for instance...

Drumcondra Red
15/01/2007, 12:55 PM
Well???? Which one did you go for???

Peadar
15/01/2007, 1:03 PM
Well???? Which one did you go for???

The one he can use while taking a dump, of course!

anto1208
15/01/2007, 1:18 PM
I got the next laptop up from that one id recomend going for it it was 750 euro , its black it has an AMD pross . 1 Gb of ram 80 gig HD . well worth the extra few quid .

I use it for playing football man. and i can download massive files with out any slow down .In fact ive been downloading , burning a dvd disk and playing FM at the same time with out any noticeable slow down .

ive a Dell desk top in work one in my room and 1 Dell laptop , my compaq laptop is better than any of the others it was cheaper too !!!.

Main fault of a laptop is if anything goes wrong it can be quite expensive to fix , example my dell laptop started acting up the port you plug your power into was a little loose ( you had to giggle it about to get it to work ) it cost 315 to fix because you have to change the full mother board .So get a good parts and labour warrenty ( but dont get the 3 or 5 year insurance they offer its not worth it )

major plus is that you can plonk in front of the telly and play FM on your laptop allday while watching the tv .

BTW get company of heroes best pc game in donkeys years

Drumcondra Red
15/01/2007, 1:26 PM
I'm fairly certain my one is as you've discribed there... I don't know, I have one like that anyway!!!

Jaime
15/01/2007, 1:29 PM
Far from being dead, I think my next major purchase will be one of the home desktop Vaios that you place below your TV like you would a DVD recorder, and use the desktop PC as a media centre. Anyone got one, and do you use it much?

Raheny Red
15/01/2007, 6:18 PM
Far from being dead, I think my next major purchase will be one of the home desktop Vaios that you place below your TV like you would a DVD recorder, and use the desktop PC as a media centre. Anyone got one, and do you use it much?

I presume you're talking about sony :cool: I love it

John83
15/01/2007, 7:56 PM
Mostly to play football manager, to scan and save my photography and to store music on. I thought that laptop looked the part alright, but thought I'd ask since I haven't really got an idea about the inner workings of computers
Any laptop you'll get these days is plenty good enough for that. Unless you really can't see yourself moving about much, I'd leave off the desktop.