PDA

View Full Version : Daily Mail January 3rd

Pages : [1] 2

bohs til i die
03/01/2007, 9:50 AM
Todays mail. Anyone see it. Bit on Shels:

Dillon sold without his knowledge so refusing to go
Heary, byrne and ryan declaring themselves as free agents!!
Players not paid for over 6 weeks – one cant even afford petrol

Philly
03/01/2007, 10:27 AM
What are Shels going to be like in Europe next year? I can see a return too the bad old days of trashings for Irish teams in Europe, at least in the Champions League... :mad:

If this is true, then it is a disgrace and the fact the PFAI have been so muted on the affair speaks volumes really. It could be Daily Mail fiction though...

BohsPartisan
03/01/2007, 10:28 AM
Well the Dillon story was doing the rounds yesterday on t'internet.

lofty9
03/01/2007, 10:30 AM
According to Dundee Utd he hasn't signed ......... it's getting more embarrassing for Shels. The Champions League is a big worry.

http://www.thecourier.co.uk/output/2007/01/03/sportstory9123803t0.asp

Dundee United are on the trail of Shelbourne full-back Sean Dillon, writes Graeme Dey.
But last night boss Craig Levein shot down claims by the Irish club that a deal had been done for the 6ft defender.
“They’ve jumped the gun completely,” said Levein, “We are talking to Shelbourne but we’re miles away from anything happening and I don’t know if it will.
“I haven’t spoken to the player or his agent and it could be he doesn’t want it (to join United).”

Partizan
03/01/2007, 10:32 AM
Dont worry folks, it will be the last time we'll see Bankrupt FC in the Champions League.

wws
03/01/2007, 10:35 AM
the implosion of shels is GREAT news for the league
unfortunately too many gullible people held them up as a model of progression - they're actually a case study in how NOT to do things

the major question that arises is will the rest take heed of the situation and learn the all to obvious lessons

Partizan
03/01/2007, 10:40 AM
Will Shels even be around in March. That is the question and if so what kind of team will they have?

OneRedArmy
03/01/2007, 10:44 AM
.............awaits arrival of one of the usual Shels apologists to deliver Goebbels-esque "nothing new here, your information is wrong, the world really is flat"-type spin.

Poor Student
03/01/2007, 10:45 AM
Even if Shelbourne could secure some new investment, something that's becoming increasingly unlikely, they'd find it difficult to assemble any sort of a squad. All the top available players are being snapped up by other clubs and at this stage they're going to need to make 10+ signings to patch things up. They'll end up like Waterford in the first half of last season. They don't even have a manager at this point!

We can only pray they draw one of the weakest teams in the CL First Qualifying round. As things currently stand they're looking at being dumped out immediately.

Macy
03/01/2007, 10:47 AM
the fact the PFAI have been so muted on the affair speaks volumes really.
Sure what did Gavin care - he knew he was sorted.

Student Mullet
03/01/2007, 10:47 AM
Players not paid for over 6 weeks – one cant even afford petrolSurley that can't be true. The UEFA License requires payments to players be up to date and Shels have the License.

QED.

P.S. Which is the sarcastic smiley?

pete
03/01/2007, 10:50 AM
I presume all the out of contract players at Shels have already left.

Have any other players managed to get their contracts terminated yet? Can't see many hanging around with no sign of new manager...

Dodge
03/01/2007, 11:00 AM
.............awaits arrival of one of the usual Shels apologists to deliver Goebbels-esque "nothing new here, your information is wrong, the world really is flat"-type spin.

In fairness on the Shels MB, most of them are panicking like hell. Even higgins...

http://forum.shelbournefc.ie/chat/viewforum.php?f=1

lofty9
03/01/2007, 11:02 AM
To be honest, the league needs strong teams, it is worrying that all these players are going to be offloaded to Scotland and for Shelbourne for free by the looks of things. How can they survive until next July if they can't pay players wages? Bear in mind any money that will be received from CL matches isn't paid out by UEFA until much later. This is another Dublin City disaster waiting to happen. Shels situation needs sorted before the league season starts. It's time for the FAI now to review their licensing criteria and examine how exactly Shels meet it?

Mr A
03/01/2007, 11:05 AM
Sure what did Gavin care - he knew he was sorted.

The PFAI are a pathetic joke. They trashed Harps in the media before they (or even the feckin players) had spoken to the club yet they never seem to have anything to say about what goes on at Shelbourne.

WeAreRovers
03/01/2007, 11:10 AM
The PFAI are a pathetic joke. They trashed Harps in the media before they (or even the feckin players) had spoken to the club yet they never seem to have anything to say about what goes on at Shelbourne.

Same with Rovers and not a peep about Shelbourne. Consistency is the one thing you never get from the FAI/EL/PFAI.

As for Gavin's new gig, I hear there may be legal action yet over how he got it.

KOH

BohsPartisan
03/01/2007, 11:13 AM
PFAI and Shels.
Teamsters and the Mafia.

:confused:

galwayhoop
03/01/2007, 11:21 AM
what is happening at Shels has been on the cards for a long time. they are quite possibly one of the worst run clubs in the league - however it is a surprise how quickly things are unraveling - from league champs to relegation fodder in a matter of weeks :D

the league does need strong teams but they have to be well run and shelbourne fc are certainly not the latter

bohs til i die
03/01/2007, 11:47 AM
The whole of page 57 of todays Star is devoted to Shels. Key points include ....

- Shels owe €40k in wages and €80k in bonuses to players
- Ollie adamant he wont walk away, wants to stay as sponsorship manager, director of football and UEFA Club football committee
- Byrne and Kilkenny agreed terms on Byrne's role in November but they have fallen through
- Dillon disputing Shels' right to sell him as he wrote to league on December 20th claiming to be free agent
- League to rule on Dillon case by Friday and the others have made similar complaints
- Ollie claims he cant walk away because he has obligations to creditors, suppliers, supporters ad friends who have helped Shels over the years
- Shels in talks with Morton Management Committee but would need to invest €10-€15 Million to upgrade stadium
- DCC wants assurances proceeds from sale of Tolka will be used for sporting purposes

Other article mentions ....
- Shels 99% owned by Accolade
- Freehold of Tolka held by DCC, zoned as sporting amenity
- Donnelly family holds long term lease on Tolka
- Accolade leases Tolka from Donnelly Family
- In 2003 Accolade agreed deal with Ivano Cafello on first option to the lease
- Cafello sold 65% of this option to Kilkenny and O'Reilly in 2004
- Shels loaned €6.5 millionsince 2003 by Cafello, Kilkenny and O'Reilly
- Half of that figure was given to the Donnelly family to buy their share-holding in Shelbourne FC

wws
03/01/2007, 11:50 AM
just in case anyone is googling stuff on these guys
the name is Ivano Cafolla

OneRedArmy
03/01/2007, 12:04 PM
- Half of that figure was given to the Donnelly family to buy their share-holding in Shelbourne FCIn case anyone is wondering, this is particularly interesting.

It means that Shels burnt through a real chunk of the money they will get for selling the lease to Tolka 4 years ago.

The €3.25 million they presumably invested in wages and running the club and given recent developments with wages and the taxman, obviously ran out fairly quickly.

It is patently clear Ollie gambled the clubs future on short-term success and appears to be reaping the obvious consequences of this.

And the man still thinks he has a role in the club going forward?!?! Absolute madness.....

drummerboy
03/01/2007, 12:13 PM
- Shels in talks with Morton Management Committee but would need to invest €10-€15 Million to upgrade stadium

These talks have been dragging on. The reason is that MSMC (Fingal) want the money up front before agreeing to allow Shels in. And then there is the problem with the sitting tennants Clonliffe Harriers.

passinginterest
03/01/2007, 12:26 PM
Dundalk might get promoted yet!

neutrino
03/01/2007, 12:27 PM
yip shel's in a right mess now. dont agree with wws that shel's implosion is good for the league. far from it. it's more bad news for the league. shels can b held up as an example of how not to do things but clubs in the league shouldnt need a reminder - been plenty of examples all through the years.

lso if shels get crushed in europe they'll be affecting the hard earned co-efficient that has been building up nicely. not sure if it'd be affected much but still.

no shels demise is bad for the league no matter which way u look at it. hard to see em recovering from this.

pete
03/01/2007, 12:30 PM
In fairness on the Shels MB, most of them are panicking like hell. Even higgins...

Sounds like a case for Magnum PI... :cool:

The loaned 3.25m figures sounds accurate enough given previous figures bandied about. Thats a lot of money to spending on keeping the boat afloat on the Tolka.

pineapple stu
03/01/2007, 12:31 PM
The €3.25 million they presumably invested in wages and running the club and given recent developments with wages and the taxman, obviously ran out fairly quickly.
They were reported to be losing a million a year earlier in the season (at the time of the ground share talks with Bohs), so in that case, the money's all gone, which is why they're going belly up at the moment.

What odds on Shels getting relegated next season, incidentally? Down to about ten first-team players from last season, many of whom are linked with moves away, no manager, and you'd be mad to take either a managerial or playing job given their recent history. They'll possibly be left with an U-21 squad, and even then, the U-21s went on strike last season over lack of pay and forfeited a league game, so some of them will want away as well.

I can quite conceivably see them doing a Waterford or a Rovers (not as dramatic, but same nett result) next year. Then this coming year will see crowds drop and no European qualification, which would mean further tightening of the purse strings.

And what are the FAI doing about all this with their nice licencing system?

wws
03/01/2007, 12:33 PM
6.5 million surely?

neutrino - its great for the league

you either build on sound principles or you are defrauding everyone (theres a load more still doing exactly waht shels done) - hopefully an utter collapse of shels will force change on the rest - real change rather than delaney speak PR búllshít

Macy
03/01/2007, 12:33 PM
- Half of that figure was given to the Donnelly family to buy their share-holding in Shelbourne FC
Money given to Shels, used by Ollie to buy out the Donnelly's shares, which he then signs over to himself?

monkey magic
03/01/2007, 12:39 PM
yip shel's in a right mess now. dont agree with wws that shel's implosion is good for the league. far from it. it's more bad news for the league. shels can b held up as an example of how not to do things but clubs in the league shouldnt need a reminder - been plenty of examples all through the years.

lso if shels get crushed in europe they'll be affecting the hard earned co-efficient that has been building up nicely. not sure if it'd be affected much but still.

no shels demise is bad for the league no matter which way u look at it. hard to see em recovering from this.

i think your confusing short term ill-effects with long term gain.. i for one dont want to see shels go bust, but the league needs rid of ollie byrnes and his like( see also the old rovers administration and limerick fc's one..) frankly the kind of reckless abandon shown by shels over the last few years is shocking, and it appears its gonna take a shocking fall from grace to wake up the tolka park faithful up to whats been goin on at the club:ball:

pineapple stu
03/01/2007, 12:52 PM
Surley that can't be true. The UEFA License requires payments to players be up to date.
Unless the players have consented to it in writing and unless the debts are more than a year old.

So if Shels don't do something in the next 46 weeks, they could be looking no licence for 2008!

Effing FAI morons.

- Shels 99% owned by Accolade
Accolade Limited is Shels. You can't own yourself. Accolade is 99% owned by Ollie though.

No mention, of course, of Shelbourne FC Limited, the crowd the Shels SSDG were suggesting putting their money into.

higgins
03/01/2007, 1:49 PM

I've been calling for some reality for years....

I welcome all these players leaving.
It's not nice knowing we are going to be a shadow of the team we were but it's important we stop overspending.

Although I try and calm you lot down about every Shels story I've never claimed the club was doing business like it should be.

I'm happy the way things are going this season :p

OneRedArmy
03/01/2007, 1:56 PM
I've been calling for some reality for years....

I welcome all these players leaving.
It's not nice knowing we are going to be a shadow of the team we were but it's important we stop overspending.

Although I try and calm you lot down about every Shel story I have never climed the club was doing business like it should be.

I'm happy the way things are going this season :pWhat about the big pink elephant in the background?

Unless you lot realise you have no future under Ollie and start working to install a proper administrative and governance set-up you are wasting your time and your recent titles will be as relevant as Drumcondra's.

stann
03/01/2007, 1:57 PM

No they won't, we're next in line! :D
(Before you ask, 13th in the pecking order.)
Though we are now resigned to (a brief) life in the graveyard and would appreciate not being emotionally f*cked about like this Ollie!

pete
03/01/2007, 2:22 PM
Oily kinda reminds of Mr. Burns when he talks of investors.

Simpsons on this morning...
- Homer shoots a pig out of a cannon or something
- Mr. Burns says to Smithers that he'll donate 1m to charity....when pigs fly
- Pig shoots across the sky
- Smithers asks if he will be writting the cheque now.
- Mr. Burns "...ahhhhhh i don't think so..." :D

fbtn
03/01/2007, 4:44 PM
No they won't, we're next in line! :D
(Before you ask, 13th in the pecking order.)
Though we are now resigned to (a brief) life in the graveyard and would appreciate not being emotionally f*cked about like this Ollie!

Think you'll find that Harps were 13th.

Won't matter. Shels will start the season.

Looking forward to a good 1st Division campaign this year. Judging by the signings you have made, and Dundalk, it will be a good one.

Our new manager, getting Breen and Gethins to return and some quality signings coming in, we won't be too far away from going up.

passerrby
03/01/2007, 5:00 PM
"im next im next we were here before you " sorry lads the bus is full and heading for a cliff

Aaron
03/01/2007, 5:07 PM
If i was a Shels fan i'd be frustrated at the silence coming from Tolka. they are being left totally in the dark as to whats happening. it must be really annoying. At least when we were in our times of trouble, we knew wot was going on and were able to help and start raising money. I think its about time Ollie let the REAL Shels fans know what exactly is goin on

passerrby
03/01/2007, 5:14 PM
very true ctid but i still believe that reports of the demise are greatly exagerated and while i would not liken them to a phoenix rising from the ashes they are more liken to be a turd resufacing after flushing

gufct
03/01/2007, 5:21 PM
Id say they are very close to the edge as most papers wouldnt dare print anything before but my guess is olly wouldnt get a solicitor to take a case now without money upfront.

The PFAI and the FAI need to get this mess sorted out now its only a fortnight before the participation agreements have to be signed!!!!!!!!!

Dodge
03/01/2007, 5:25 PM
Hopefully they go bust, leaving Derry into the Champions League, and Pats into the UEFA.

I honstly don't think I'd stop laughing

passerrby
03/01/2007, 5:28 PM
in the words of the immortal dick emery dodge you are awful but i like you

SligoBrewer
03/01/2007, 5:37 PM
Hopefully they go bust, leaving Derry into the Champions League, and Pats into the UEFA.

would we not get into europe cause of our league position?

Dazzy
03/01/2007, 5:44 PM

NO, Pats would take the Cup place.

passerrby
03/01/2007, 6:07 PM

lourdes

OneRedArmy
03/01/2007, 7:06 PM

I honstly don't think I'd stop laughingThey don't even need to go bust.

They just need not to get a UEFA license, which IIRC, is no longer identical to the FAI Premier License and will not be awarded until April.

gotaroundbetter
03/01/2007, 7:08 PM

Yeah right!!! think you need to look at the AIG points.
BLUES at the front of the que, no shoving from the back;)

Réiteoir
03/01/2007, 7:32 PM
What are Shels going to be like in Europe next year? I can see a return too the bad old days of trashings for Irish teams in Europe, at least in the Champions League... :mad:

ah sure - it won't be the first time that's happened

Remember the Maltese Ice Cream Sellers a few years ago - and that was when they were chucking cash at the venture...

TonyD
03/01/2007, 7:47 PM

ooh yeah, I like it.:D Can we start a petition (save our co-efficient - Shels out of europe) By the way people, I think its safe to stop using the $ now:p

Réiteoir
03/01/2007, 8:58 PM
What about "hel"?

As the $'s have seemingly disappeared...

pete
03/01/2007, 9:31 PM
The $ is well & truely gone.

New She₤฿our₦e spelling to fit the financial situation.

:D