PDA

View Full Version : Irish action in scotland

bwagner
02/01/2007, 4:01 PM
Today darren o dea and aiden mc geady score for celtic, o' dea and pressley as the centre backs .

Cregg and O donnell both score for falkirk yesterday.

For motherwell today foran started with trevor molloy, danny murphy and keegan all coming on in the 2nd half.

Dempsey was playin for Aberdeen also...think stan needs to travel north of the border soon , what do u guys think?

pete
02/01/2007, 4:15 PM
For motherwell today foran started with trevor molloy, danny murphy and keegan all coming on in the 2nd half.

Dempsey was playin for Aberdeen also...think stan needs to travel north of the border soon , what do u guys think?

Few minutes SPL action & possible Ireland call ups suggested already. :eek: :D :rolleyes:

wws
02/01/2007, 4:23 PM
yes these guys are now instantly better
especially Keego

he's so much to learn.....:D

pete
02/01/2007, 4:37 PM
yes these guys are now instantly better
especially Keego

he's so much to learn.....:D

I don't know about that but certainly proven they can play against Rangers & not fall over the ball.

:cool: :D

johnnyc
02/01/2007, 6:19 PM
Not being much up on Scots footie, am I right in saying there seems to be more Oirish lads playing there than there has been for quite a while? Can anyone with good Scots leage knowledge name an all Irish XI?

adamcarr
02/01/2007, 6:23 PM
Danny Murphy played against Rangers today so he must get a call up now. First Doyler and now Danny become instant superstars, there must be something in the air on that island.

4tothefloor
02/01/2007, 6:44 PM
Noel Hunt has been playing, and scoring goals in Scotland for years and he's s**t. Richie Foran too, and he's pretty average. Stokes is an exception, as are the Celtic boys. Young players are always worth a look at, but the Motherwell crew? FFS :rolleyes: :p

bwagner
03/01/2007, 8:20 AM
Jesus im getting slatted here.
Relax guys i meant the celtic boys and the two young ex arsneal lads at falkirk.......maybe Dempsey aswell

Dodge
03/01/2007, 8:59 AM
Dempsey's rubbish.

Good luck to all of them though

NY Hoop
03/01/2007, 10:05 AM
Noel Hunt has been playing, and scoring goals in Scotland for years and he's s**t. Richie Foran too, and he's pretty average. Stokes is an exception, as are the Celtic boys. Young players are always worth a look at, but the Motherwell crew? FFS :rolleyes: :p

Noel is far from **** pal. Has been very unlucky with injuries. SPL is only a superior league off the pitch. Little difference on the pitch. Hence the ex EL players getting a game.

KOH

OwlsFan
03/01/2007, 10:14 AM
Jesus im getting slatted here.
Relax guys i meant the celtic boys and the two young ex arsneal lads at falkirk.......maybe Dempsey aswell

Swallows and Summer ete etc and I think Stokes is well covered elsewhere. I also mentioned elsewhere that I met a Falkirk fan when I was over in Scotland for Hogmanay, and he thinks Cregg is the bees' knees (more so even than Stokes). The view of one drunken fan to another but interesting nonetheless.

DeNiro
03/01/2007, 10:17 AM
I think these guys are getting the attention because of Stokes. Fair enough McGeady and O'Dea obviously stand out but it's Stokes that brought our attention to Falkirk in the first place, not Cregg. As for those Motherwell boys, I would be shocked if Molloy's name was even mentioned in the context of any Irish squad 'A' or 'B'. Murphy MIGHT be a potential B cap - nothing more.

drummerboy
03/01/2007, 10:33 AM
A little bit off topic, but I seen the cover of the Sports supplement in the Indo this morning with the heading “Dubliner on Target for Celtic”. As a Dub this doesn't bother me, but I'm almost certain the guy is from Kerry. I think Gerry Garvan, Owens father and manager of Home Farm, used to fly young O’Dea up to play for Home Farm every weekend. Surprised the Indo making a mistake like that!!! That must have been some team Home Farm had that year. With Supple, Garvan and Synott (all Ipswitch), McCann (Burnley) and O’Dea (Celtic).

Dodge
03/01/2007, 10:42 AM
http://www.celticfc.net/squad/profile.asp?player_id=747

Born in Dublin apparently

republicofwhite
03/01/2007, 11:07 AM
O'Dea undoubtedly from Dublin. There's another 17/18 year old who's doing well in the reserves from Killarney, his name is Diarmuid O'Carroll. He and O'Dea have been mentioned in the same context before...

republicofwhite
03/01/2007, 11:22 AM
My astute friend has informed me that Darren O'Dea can be proclaimed the Irish Lucio...i.e. A goalscoring centre half.

DmanDmythDledge
04/01/2007, 2:55 PM
SPL is only a superior league off the pitch. Little difference on the pitch.

KOH
Eh Celtic, Rangers? The no. 1 team in the SPL would beat the no. 1 team in the EL and so on.

galwayhoop
04/01/2007, 3:02 PM
KOH

totally off point but what does the KOH stand for. i see a fair few SRFC posters sign off with it??

eirebhoy
04/01/2007, 3:08 PM
I think the SPL is still a bit ahead of the EL. Falkirk would be challenging for the title in this country. The above average EL players are average SPL players. Both leagues are improving but the gap is certainly still closing.

pete
04/01/2007, 3:11 PM
totally off point but what does the KOH stand for. i see a fair few SRFC posters sign off with it??

Keep On Hooping

drinkfeckarse
04/01/2007, 3:43 PM
I think Gerry Garvan, Owens father and manager of Home Farm, used to fly young O’Dea up to play for Home Farm every weekend.

I'd find that pretty fcuked up if that had been true. I can understand being driven somewhere to play for a team that's not your local one but flying someone in every weekend for schoolboy football!! :eek: :D

Dodge
04/01/2007, 4:32 PM
Its just been proven that was wrong as he was born and raised in Dublin. Keep up... ;)

drinkfeckarse
08/01/2007, 10:17 AM
I'd find that pretty fcuked up if that had been true.

Its just been proven that was wrong as he was born and raised in Dublin. Keep up... ;)

I kept up Dodge :) . Breezing through posts again instead of reading properly? ;)

kingdom hoop
08/01/2007, 5:32 PM
I'd find that pretty fcuked up if that had been true. I can understand being driven somewhere to play for a team that's not your local one but flying someone in every weekend for schoolboy football!! :eek: :D

Billy dennehy(another irish striker at sunderland!) was regularly flown up to shels from kerry at the weekends as a schoolboy. 45mins in a plane is better than 4 hours in a car. the logistics are certainly understandable, whatever about the costs incurred. i guess you cant put a price on the talent of kerrymen :p

cavan_fan
08/01/2007, 6:23 PM
Noel is far from **** pal. Has been very unlucky with injuries. SPL is only a superior league off the pitch. Little difference on the pitch. Hence the ex EL players getting a game.

KOH

The EL players have moved from a top of the table team to a mid/bottom table team. I dont see a big clamour for players from Bray. I'd say that you could compare the top EL team with the 4th team in Scotland, 2nd with 5th etc.

dynamo kerry
08/01/2007, 7:20 PM
hunt is having his best season in ages.. as is foran ( who had a decent year last year.) they've never set the world alight though but they are getting a lot of local press over here

Kingdom
09/01/2007, 7:04 AM

Are you serious man?!:confused: This has been going on for ages, since I was a schoolboy at least, and thats 10 yrs ago. Its another aspect of the game that the heads in the FAI should look at. Belvedere are the big exponents of this practice at the moment. I'm not sure what could be done, but to me its wrong to have someone travelling that distance, just to join what is essentially a feeder club, even more so when its a time of technical plans and regional development officers.

drummerboy
09/01/2007, 8:27 AM
With clubs getting percentages of future transfers, this practice is now rampant. There are lads from counties like Mayo, Tipperary and further afield playing in the DDSL. Clubs like Belvedere, Home Farm, Stella are just 3 of many clubs which indulge in this practice.

galwayhoop
09/01/2007, 9:22 AM
there is a young lad from galway (mannion) playing for st. kevins at the moment, he also came on as a sub for the irish u15's in qatar couple days ago.

IMO this practice is most definately wrong. players should not have to leave their county to play juveinile football. BUT i understand why it happens, majority of scouts etc. have very little interest in players / clubs from outside dublin so some talented players feel they have to play in the DDSL if they want to get 'noticed'

Kingdom
09/01/2007, 10:00 AM
there is a young lad from galway (mannion) playing for st. kevins at the moment, he also came on as a sub for the irish u15's in qatar couple days ago.

IMO this practice is most definately wrong. players should not have to leave their county to play juveinile football. BUT i understand why it happens, majority of scouts etc. have very little interest in players / clubs from outside dublin so some talented players feel they have to play in the DDSL if they want to get 'noticed'

But thats the problem. They will get noticed. Its the fcuking parents who should be putting a stop to this. The FAI could try and streamline the Under21 league with the various county schoolboy leagues. As I said earlier if the regional development officers are in place, these lads will be getting to the International squads via the trials because they are good enough. And thats where they'll get spotted. Hopefully thats one thing that comes out of the last years transfers to the foreign clubs. It can show that if you're good enough you will get that "big" move at some stage. And if not, well we still have a professional competitive league at home.

eirebhoy
09/01/2007, 10:32 AM
hunt is having his best season in ages.. as is foran ( who had a decent year last year.) they've never set the world alight though but they are getting a lot of local press over here
I'm not a fan of Foran tbh. He has scored 6 goals in the cup against lower league teams. 5 of his other goals were penos. Obviously 14 goals is going to get you plenty of press but he has scored 3 goals from play in the league. OK, he's not playing as an out and out striker but he's anonymous any time I've seen him against Celtic.

pete
09/01/2007, 12:19 PM
IMO this practice is most definately wrong. players should not have to leave their county to play juveinile football.'

The FAI should introduce rule where have to play your junior football within say 50 miles of your home & cannot move abroad until 18 years old. Allowing kids to be shipped up to Dublin just ensures all the best junior clubs in that City & slows development of the game elsewhere.

I believe Norway stopped their kids being sold abroad a while ago & didn't do them any harm.

Kingdom
09/01/2007, 1:36 PM
I'm pretty sure there was a rule where you had to be within 30 miles of Dublin to play for a Dublin team, but this would have been 10 or so yrs ago,

galwayhoop
09/01/2007, 2:49 PM
ryan casey used get the train from galway to dublin every weekend to play for cherry orchard. that was about 15 years ago. has been going on for years and won't stop any time soon.

Wolfie
09/01/2007, 9:24 PM
Fair play to these lads making these sorts of journey's. They must be top standard because in my day if you didn't train and just turned up at the weekend - there were a lot of ****ed off team mates.

All most of us had to sort out was hopping on the team van for away matches a few miles away and about making sure you had the subs money!!