PDA

View Full Version : Road Deaths Trends

pete
02/01/2007, 12:14 PM
2006 Figures (http://www.garda.ie/angarda/statistics98/nroadstats.html)

Down to 367. Heard one of the Safety Authorities (lost count of different versions now) saying was due to Garda Enforcement of Random Breath Testing. Not sure if possible to link directly to that.

I don't think the State actually affecting the numbers anymore but if you look at the Long Term trends... (http://www.garda.ie/angarda/statistics98/rtastats_longterm.html) can see the trend is lower annual road deaths... When you consider higher population & more road users numbers are down a lot from 70s & 80s.

Better roads & more Motorways are helping but was surprised how calm drivers during the busy pre christmas & post new year...

Macy
02/01/2007, 12:37 PM
Heard one of the Safety Authorities (lost count of different versions now) saying was due to Garda Enforcement of Random Breath Testing. Not sure if possible to link directly to that.
It's all about enforcement imo, or at least the fear of enforcement. I'd like to wait and see whether it continues. Introduction's of new laws/ penalty points has always resulted in a small blip downwards in deaths, followed by them going back to normal when people realise little chance of getting caught. These figures have the second lot of penalty points and random breath testing. As ever, it's enforcement on the right roads and the dangerous times of the night that will bring the dramatic reduction in road deaths. Seems to have been little change in the 2am-4am slot unfortunately.

Better roads & more Motorways are helping but was surprised how calm drivers during the busy pre christmas & post new year...
Commutting or in General. My driving experience over christmas just showed me how poor stuff like lane discipline on motorways and indication (or lack of) really is. In particular lane hogging on the motorways was awful - it's the bloody overtaking lane not the fast lane you idiots.

pete
02/01/2007, 1:22 PM
Commutting or in General. My driving experience over christmas just showed me how poor stuff like lane discipline on motorways and indication (or lack of) really is. In particular lane hogging on the motorways was awful - it's the bloody overtaking lane not the fast lane you idiots.

I haven't driven down the country in probbaly 6 months (Ryanair cheap flights) but on the 23rd which I would have thought busy day was surprised that very few aggressive overtakers when stuck in line of traffic. I agree lane discipline is poor but it did seem a bit better than in the past... Until gardai pull people in for sitting in the overtaking lane i doubt will be big improvement.

dahamsta
03/01/2007, 12:24 AM
Isn't it about time some mindless moron used the word "carnage" in this thread?

Dodge
03/01/2007, 3:41 AM
carnage...

dfx-
03/01/2007, 9:08 PM
No no no no, you have to have carnage with suitable words after it - it loses its effect otherwise - 'the carnage on our roads', 'regrettable carnage' etc. etc.:)

Macy
04/01/2007, 8:16 AM
Mindless Carnage.

pete
04/01/2007, 10:57 AM
Reduced carnage.

BohsPartisan
04/01/2007, 1:27 PM
Car-nage

dahamsta
04/01/2007, 2:15 PM
Car-nageA Star headline writer if ever I saw one!

endabob1
05/01/2007, 10:09 AM

I have to admit that living in the UK where Motorway/Dual Carriageway ettiqute is pretty good and then driving from Dublin down home on the motorway/dual carriageway the difference in driving is unreal, you always get half a dozen twits plodding along in the overtaking lane refusing to move over.
Even mates who have come over here for a weekend comment on the differnce.

Oh and I'm surprised that no one has blamed the immigrants for the carnage yet, my mother blames them for all the deaths on Irish roads, normally while talking on her mobile phone going the wrong way up a one way street, (because it's much quicker and it's raining!) she is in her '70s but her bigotry shows no sign of going anytime soon!

onceahoop
07/01/2007, 10:46 PM
Hogging the outside lane on Motorways/Dual carriageways is IMO the most irritating thing on our roads. It drives me nuts. That and trucks overtaking at 51mph other trucks travelling at 50mph. (BTW I thought it was illegal for trucks to overtake on motorways).:mad:

Gareth
07/01/2007, 11:12 PM
I blame dahamsta on the carnage. Its his fault. All of it. I blame everything in fact in some way on dahamsta. :D

sonofstan
08/01/2007, 12:06 AM
I blame dahamsta on the carnage.

is that really what you meant?

pete
08/01/2007, 9:57 AM
Hogging the outside lane on Motorways/Dual carriageways is IMO the most irritating thing on our roads.

Easy solution. Move into inside lane & drive in that. Its safer than getting worked up about someone blocking the outside lane.

dahamsta
08/01/2007, 10:23 AM
Possibility of getting done for undertaking then, depending on the circumstances.

pete
08/01/2007, 11:35 AM
Possibility of getting done for undertaking then, depending on the circumstances.

Well with the driver in the outside lane having almost no chance of getting done for that think little chance of getting doen for undertaking. Best way to do it is when already on the inside lane so you just continuing at current speed. I am more concerned about other driver suddenly pulling into the inside lane that getting done by guards.

Macy
08/01/2007, 11:53 AM
I am more concerned about other driver suddenly pulling into the inside lane that getting done by guards.
Usually they don't pull in until you pass, since they haven't been using their mirrors and didn't even realise there was a car behind them until you're past

pete
08/01/2007, 11:55 AM
Usually they don't pull in until you pass, since they haven't been using their mirrors and didn't even realise there was a car behind them until you're past

Exactly. However if someone not going to use rearview mirror I usually not keen n the odds they will check their blind spot on the inside.

:eek:

Macy
08/01/2007, 12:11 PM
I usually not keen n the odds they will check their blind spot on the inside.
I'm usually not keen on the odds they use their eyes full stop. If someone hasn't pulled in after a significant distance, I don't think they will when you're passing, but like everything depends on the circumstances. Most duallers and motorways you do have the hard shoulder as an out anyway.