PDA

View Full Version : 200,000 immigrants registered to work last year

pete
02/01/2007, 11:22 AM
Almost 200,000 immigrant workers reportedly entered Ireland last year, making 2006 a record year for inward migration.

Almost 90,000 Polish nationals were issued with PPS numbers during the year, followed by almost 15,000 Lithuanians, 10,000 Slovakians and more than 7,000 Latvians.

BreakingNews (http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/?jp=CWSNKFOJOJOJ)

If that rate continued for 20 years irish nationals would be out numbered assuming no non-nationals left.

I suppose its a vote of confidence in Ireland as place to work & live...

Macy
02/01/2007, 11:37 AM
If that rate continued for 20 years irish nationals would be out numbered assuming no non-nationals left.

And assuming that Irish returnee's and those of Irish descent don't make up a significant portion of the numbers coming in too.

I suppose its a vote of confidence in Ireland as place to work & live...
Obviously the economy is doing well, but don't forget that people from the ascession countries continue to have limited options.

pete
02/01/2007, 12:00 PM
Obviously the economy is doing well, but don't forget that people from the ascession countries continue to have limited options.

They could choose any number of other countries in the EU & beyond. I only mention it because I am familiar with but Norway has 100k 'guest workers' from mainly Poland so their options not limited to the EU.

BohsPartisan
02/01/2007, 12:04 PM

More likely we'll be outnumbered by fish if we don't sort out the environment.

pete
02/01/2007, 12:08 PM
More likely we'll be outnumbered by fish if we don't sort out the environment.

Possibly but they'll all be farmed as won't be any 'wild' stocks left. :p

Macy
02/01/2007, 12:24 PM
They could choose any number of other countries in the EU & beyond.
Not as easily as they could here and the UK, as we gave free movement to the citizens. You also have to factor in our economy being so construction based meaning more work in areas where language less of a barrier.

Dodge
02/01/2007, 1:15 PM
Polish do travel all over europe (and worldwide). Its just "new" to Ireland for mass immigration. Every other european country has known it for a while.

gustavo
07/01/2007, 9:00 PM

Hardly likely though , most Polish lads i talk to plan on staying for a couple of years max.

onceahoop
07/01/2007, 10:36 PM
Is there anyone left in Poland? Seriously though, if you stand in the arrivals hall at Dublin Airport from about 9pm to about 2am you'll see thousands of foreign nationals arriving into the country. At times I think it's frightening the amount of children in our shools who can't speak English and the lack of response from the Dept. Of Education to this problem.

BohsPartisan
08/01/2007, 7:52 AM
Hardly likely though , most Polish lads i talk to plan on staying for a couple of years max.

This is true. They come over here in a similar way to the Irish getting the boat to England in the 80's. Over for a few years to get some cash together.

NY Hoop
10/01/2007, 12:52 PM
No problem with anyone coming here to work. More power to them especially when you consider the thousands of wasters drawing unemployment assistance here.

KOH

pete
10/01/2007, 1:54 PM
...when you consider the thousands of wasters drawing unemployment assistance here.
KOH

In the UK they are called Neets - "Not currently engaged in Employment, Education or Training" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NEET)

lopez
16/01/2007, 12:59 AM
...At times I think it's frightening the amount of children in our shools who can't speak English and the lack of response from the Dept. Of Education to this problem.Maybe the DofEd should try and get them to learn Irish instead.

CollegeTillIDie
22/01/2007, 8:15 PM
The entire non-indiginous population of Ireland is about 10% according to last year's census.