PDA

View Full Version : Keith O'Neill - Sunday Times

Donal81
01/01/2007, 6:25 PM
I remember seeing this guy's debut against Croatia - such potential...

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,2093-2524227,00.html

Look back in anger
Paul Rowan
Keith O’Neill was only 27 when injury forced him to quit the game. Three years on, he is determined to set the record straight

Keith O’Neill woke at his home in Truro, Cornwall, on Friday morning and realised it was raining. As he got out of bed he also realised, far more acutely, that his back had seized up. Instead of playing golf with his mate Andrew Ridgeley of Wham! fame, he knew immediately that his assignation that day would instead be at the Cornwall Chiropractor Clinic. Dr Jay Morrell would lay him on his side and push his sacrum and pelvis back into place, a weekly occurrence now for the 30-year-old former Ireland international with the back of an 80-year-old. Even on the good days, O’Neill walks with a slight stoop and the arch in his spine is obvious. Ten years ago he made his Ireland debut as one of the most highly valued players in the English game. Three years ago he was diagnosed at Coventry City with two degenerative bone conditions in his spine called spondylolisthesis and spondylosis, essentially a double fracture of part of the cord that threatens to turn him into a cripple.

“That would explain why Keith never played more than 10 games in a row in his career,” the Coventry City physiotherapist, Michael McBride, said on Friday. “Keith’s was the worst case I’ve seen of this kind in 14 years working full-time in sport, both clinically and looking at the x-rays. He did very well to extend his career for as long as he did.”

O’Neill has always been a buoyant, chirpy character and remains so. But the end of his career was bitter, with recriminations on all sides, and the bad taste lingers. He could take the endless gruelling recovery programmes but what deeply upset him was that people — his managers, fellow players, fans — doubted what he was saying to them and trying to describe.

Armed finally with conclusive medical evidence, he would like the world to know that he wasn’t faking it and he did care. And he would like Mick McCarthy in particular to know that.

A 16-WORD report in the Daily Mirror on March 12, 2003, was the last we had heard of Keith O’Neill. “Ace in fight quiz”, the headline said. “Cops have quizzed Coventry soccer star Keith O’Neill, 27, over a club brawl in Leamington Spa.”

That was 16 words too many, some of his legion of detractors would have said. The brevity of the report was a sign of how much he had exhausted the rest of us. Those who still cared to listen would hear O’Neill deliver a longer version, complete with a sinister twist.

“Coventry were hoping and praying that I had something to do with it,” he says, by way of explanation. “They phoned up the police to find out what happened. And they were trying to fine me and put it out in the press that I was a disgrace. It was all kind of a master plan to get me out of the place.”

Not for the first time O’Neill had provided his detractors with plenty of ammunition. His extended family and friends from one of his old clubs, Tolka Rovers, had travelled over from Dublin and he had taken them to the Mirage nightclub. “Afterwards I had gone to get in a taxi and a bloke came over and said, ‘That’s my f***ing taxi’ and he basically attacked me. I was with quite a handy lad and he decked him. A woman jumped on his neck and bit him, so she got a smack. I didn’t get involved. The lucky thing for me was that there was CCTV and the other guy was the aggressor. We had nothing to hide.”

O’Neill had already been at the club for two years and had made just eight appearances. Shortly after arriving there in March 2001, he had twisted his left leg horribly on the training ground, resulting in a double fracture and a dislocated ankle. The club had gone into administration around that time and O’Neill, as their highest-paid player on about £10,000 a week, had become a liability. There were suggestions that he should quit the game. He was tempted. He would have been entitled to an insurance payout of close to £2m. He decided to battle on.

“People were telling me I’d never be able to play again and I was thinking, ‘I’m sick of these f***ing injuries, I cannot let my body take this any more.’ And I really considered throwing it in. But I felt in my head that I hadn’t achieved what I wanted, that I had too much I still wanted to give.”

His recovery was delayed when he broke a hand hitting a punch bag. When his back broke down on the verge of his return to action, Coventry had had enough. “The chairman was spitting blood. The club doctor said my back couldn’t live up to the strain of being a professional footballer. Bryan Robson brought me to see the Manchester United surgeon. He looked at all my scans and said, ‘You’ve done really well to do what you’ ve done, because you’ve got the back of an 80-year-old man.’ He said, ‘You could play 50 games in a row, but it will break down and you could end up in a wheelchair.’ I wasn’t expecting that and I was deeply shocked. I was hoping for a report that I could throw back at Coventry and say ‘F*** you.’ Coventry offered me six months of my contract and I accepted it. I couldn’t claim for insurance because it was wear and tear, so I lost a lot of money by not getting out when I had broken my leg.”

It had been a messy, horrible ending but at least O’Neill now knew the reason for the endless injuries. The stress fractures, the hernia operations, the strained hamstrings, thigh and calf muscles. At his first club, Norwich, he had missed six months by inexplicably breaking the fifth metatarsal of his right foot. He eventually had to have a screw inserted by his little toe to fuse the bone. At Coventry, the fifth metatarsal of his left foot went and he had instructed the medical staff on the quickest way it could be fixed. Even at the age of 13, his club in Dublin, Home Farm, had paid for him to go for physiotherapy because of hamstring trouble.

At Norwich City as a 19-year-old he had noticed how he had to drag himself out of the bath after winning a game while the rest of his teammates were still jumping around. In all, over the 10 years of his career, he reckons he played in only 17% of the games he could have been selected for. “All the movement in your body goes through your spine, so all those problems stemmed from my back, because it was so unstable and it just wasn’t lined up right. Because my spine is not stable, my sacrum moves around a lot, so muscles go into spasm and lock into place.”

Even if the diagnosis was never properly made, some managers were more understanding of his difficulties than others. At Norwich, Mike Walker would lose patience from time to time. At Middlesbrough, Bryan Robson was very supportive and sent him to a surgeon in Munich where an initial diagnosis was made. O’Neill regards Steve McClaren with contempt and accuses him of a complete lack of man-management skills.

Donal81
01/01/2007, 6:26 PM
Mick McCarthy offered a sympathetic ear on the many occasions he rang up to pull out of an Ireland squad, and they had a good relationship, at least until Ireland’s European Championship qualifier against Macedonia in Skopje on October 9, 1999.

International football mattered as much to O’Neill as to any other Ireland player at the time. From an early age football had been his passion — he says he went to bed with a ball from the age of four —- but Ireland’s exploits under Jack Charlton at Euro 88 and the two World Cups that followed fuelled his ambition to be a professional footballer. As a young teenager he captained the Irish youths team and used to be let off school early on Wednesdays to stand on the terraces at Lansdowne Road before nearly everybody else. He went on to make a hugely promising start to his international career, scoring the first goal of McCarthy’s tenure against Croatia in June 1996. After he scored twice against Bolivia in a friendly at New Jersey’s Giants Stadium in the same month, the trivial nature of the tie was overlooked. On his return home, bunting stretched along Griffith Road in north Dublin where his parents lived and his father handed out bottles of Budweiser to the neighbours.

McCarthy had put O’Neill up front with David Connolly, hoping that his power and pace would complement Connolly’s natural goalscoring ability. They were talked of as a pairing that could end the international careers of Niall Quinn and Tony Cascarino but by the time of the Skopje game O’Neill had won only 11 caps because of persistent injuries and the emergence of Robbie Keane and Damien Duff. Ireland went to Macedonia needing a victory to qualify for the 2000 European Championship finals in Holland. They cruised through the first half and had taken the lead against patently inferior opposition. With the finishing line in sight, however, Ireland and McCarthy began to lose their nerve, something O’Neill had noticed even before he was put on as a substitute for Robbie Keane after 60 minutes.

“My instructions were just to get on there and run around and stop them as much as I could. But in the last half hour panic set in. Obviously that’s down to the players on the pitch but there was changes made and tactics were altered.”

Three minutes into stoppage time, Macedonia won a corner and Tony Cascarino lost his man, Goran Stravrevski. O’Neill, who was guarding the space near the front post, would still have been able to clear the ball if he hadn’t slipped. The unmarked Stravrevski scored with a header.

“Mick McCarthy never talked to me after that game. Me and him had a good relationship and he hasn’t f***ing talked to me since. On the way home, I remember the plane was delayed for two hours on the runway and everybody was sitting around. Mick walked by and ignored me. I was low as a snake’s belly anyway. It was a terrible way to end my last ever game for a kid like me who was so proud of playing for his country.”

At the time, O’Neill was in the best form of his life at Middlesbrough. McCarthy dropped him for the subsequent playoffs against Turkey a month later. It probably didn’t help his cause that in between times he found himself involved in another nightclub incident that again raised questions about his judgment if not his professionalism. O’Neill had helped his club collect three points, which pushed Robson’s side into the Premiership’s top six. Afterwards, he had celebrated with his Middlesbrough and Republic of Ireland teammate Alan Moore at a nightclub on Teesside.

“That was an absolute disgrace. I was at the bar, it was about half two, clearing-out time, we knew the owners so we were hoping to stay on. Alan was there with his wife and one of her girlfriends. A couple of bouncers came in and one of them said, ‘You’re barred,’ and I said, ‘I’m not barred, what are you on about?’ So they dragged me out of the place, two bouncers, Alan walking after me, dragged me into a corridor where there was no cameras and that’s all I can remember. I just got f***ing pummelled for no reason. I could have looked at them weird, I don’t know. They might have seen me in there with women every night and got jealous. I just don’t know. That’s the way it was. But when people read it and people see you injured all the time and people see a flash lad, they just don’t f***ing like it.”

McCarthy, apparently, was now counted among that number. He later wrote a small and seemingly innocuous sentence in his book Ireland’s World Cup 2002 for which O’Neill has been unable to forgive him. “Keith’s failure to make any further impact is down to Keith, not to anything that happened in Macedonia.”

“Now that’s what ****es me off,” O’Neill says. “It was down to Keith that Keith’s injured. So it’s my problem, it’s down to Keith’s diseased spine that he doesn’t have an international career. I don’t know what Mick’s thinking but he seems to be implying that it was down to Keith that Keith was injured. That is why I got tired of fighting in the end.”

The flash reputation is one that O’Neill has had since he was a teenager at Norwich and he has never seen the need to curb that image. With the Ireland team, he insists, he was just one of the lads. “Modern-day footballers need to look after their body as a business. Treat your body like a temple, which is probably one thing I didn’t do. Maybe when I was injured I would go out and have a bevy. I don’t want anybody to think that I was a saint and I never had a drink. I did, but I was going out with some players who drink for fun. Everybody thinks they’re saints.

“With Ireland we’d all arrive after the game on Saturday, all go out Saturday night, Wouldn’t do too much on a Sunday, a stretch or something. All go out on Sunday. Mick would say be in by midnight and the whole squad would come in at 5am. The lads’ thing was, ‘Well, he can’t get rid of us all. If three of us stay out till 5am, but if all of us stay out at Tamangos on a Sunday night, he can’t do nothing. Mick would turn a blind eye. We’d train Monday and Tuesday and then have the game on Wednesday.”

Perhaps unsurprisingly, O’Neill is very much in the Roy Keane camp when it comes to the Great Debate of that era. He remembers flying back from the US tour in 1996 alongside Niall Quinn in economy, with the giant striker’s knees almost touching his chin. In O’Neill’s case, however, his specific needs weren’t catered for. “I suffered with injuries so I had a close relationship with my physios. I liked good strappings on my ankles before I played a game.

“I liked to get a good massage on my back, loosen my hamstrings up, because I would just get tight. Some people just don’t think younger kids should have massages. Not just the manager of Ireland, it was at some football clubs too. People would go, ‘Young players shouldn’t be having massages.’ But I didn’t have the body of a young fella. People mightn’t think that is a big thing, but I think when you’re playing for your country things need to be right and if you need a massage you should get one.

“When I was getting my strappings done, I like stirrups on my strappings, not just a normal figure of eight. I’d get one sometimes and I wouldn’t be able to put on my boot. The blood would stop running to my ankle and I’d be getting so nervous that I was running out of time that I would take the whole thing off. So I would whack on whatever strapping I could, whereas every game I played with my club was with a proper strapping on.”

It may sound like whingeing but bear in mind what happened, again away to Macedonia, when Ireland were beaten 3-2 in a World Cup qualifying game in April 1997, a game more famous for the karate kick that saw Jason McAteer sent from the pitch. O’Neill had had ankle ligament trouble but had still made the trip and, having been brought on as a half-time substitute, aggravated the injury, which meant he was out for the rest of the season.

“I was so desperate to come over to play. Mick didn’t start me because of damage to my ligaments. The strapping I had on that day was a joke, even though everybody knew my ankle was bad. After five minutes I got a bad knock on the ankle and I eventually had to come off. Mick didn’t really understand. He was really a big bruiser from Barnsley. He just wants you fit and he thinks you’re a big girl’s blouse. You’re the complete opposite, you’re playing through more pain than anybody would be playing through.”

It hasn’t all been pain. O’Neill has great memories to cherish as well and, with Kevin Moran as his agent, he had enough good contracts to leave the game as a millionaire. His marriage 18 months ago to a very strong woman, Zoe, has also stabilised him as much as a proper spine ever could.

He must still work and has invested in property and a boutique-cum-restaurant in Truro, where Zoe’s family are from. There is still much of the lad about him, though his luxuriant head of hair now has many strands of grey and he has a new-born daughter, Senna, to keep him occupied whenever he has a spare moment.

He can feel the back every time he changes her nappy. Hopefully, that will be the extent of it for many years to come.

Jerry The Saint
02/01/2007, 11:41 AM
I'm sure it's a serious story but the journalist kind of lost me round about here...

Instead of playing golf with his mate Andrew Ridgeley of Wham! fame...

:D

pete
02/01/2007, 11:54 AM
How many times has this article been reprinted. What makes Keith O'Neill different as I am sure this happens to many footballers not lucky enough to make it to his level...

citizenerased
02/01/2007, 11:59 AM
good point, it seems he is wallowing in self pity, in fairness he is not exactly ina homeless shelter, or queing up for the 'rock n roll'.

youngirish
02/01/2007, 12:45 PM
Sounds like a whinger to be honest and a bit of a prima donna. Still sulking because he couldn't get his massage before a game.

He was never much use anyway IMO even when supposedly fit.

Donal81
02/01/2007, 2:23 PM
Sounds like a whinger to be honest and a bit of a prima donna. Still sulking because he couldn't get his massage before a game.

He was never much use anyway IMO even when supposedly fit.

Never saw him play club football but I always thought he was excellent for Ireland when he was fit.

geysir
02/01/2007, 3:54 PM
How many times has this article been reprinted. What makes Keith O'Neill different as I am sure this happens to many footballers not lucky enough to make it to his level...
I don't know about that, he strikes me as being quite unique. Keith couldn't burst a paper bag without breaking some bone in his hand. The PA guy at Landsdowne could almost have announced that Keith has passed the 10 minute mark without incident, just seconds before the audible rendition of another O'Neill bone break.
What is it about Keith that attracts uncontrollable urges of aggression in people causing them to batter him senseless, walk away and leave Keith to take all the flak?
What the feck is "stirrups on my strappings". Sounds like a line from a Bob Marley song.

republicofwhite
02/01/2007, 7:43 PM
Footballers in his position are ten a penny, for example, Kevin Grogan and Richard Sadlier were immense talents who would have been far better and had terrible injury problems and had to quit, but we've never heard the pangs of misery from the likes of them. O'Neill always fancied himself big time, I remember him coming onto the Late Late Show in his bare feet. Don't ask me why but the audacity of that just just really annoyed me at the time. He always got himself into a position where he was the most acceptable person for us to scapegoat, yet deserved it. All these night club stories are so tragic as well. Like most people though, Got a good laugh out of the Andrew Ridgely thing... State of it :rolleyes: "Currently residing in the where are they now category..."

The Legend
02/01/2007, 9:32 PM
I wondered what happened to Andrew Ridgely, just like i once wondered who the hell would buy his solo album. I guess I now have my answer..

Noelys Guitar
03/01/2007, 12:37 AM
"The best thing about Norwich is the road to London". I can remember O'Neill saying that when he 'played' for Norwich. That went down well with the Norwich fans. Hard to say how it would have turned out for him without the back problems. I saw him play a few times and was impressed with his skill. And like Paul McGrath and Southgate he has a 'high' opinion of Mclaren.

drinkfeckarse
03/01/2007, 8:55 AM
I played with Keith years ago and he never struck me as that arrogant or anything. He was a confident lad (like all Dubs ;) ) but not over the top with it.

That's why I'm always surprised to see that not many people have good things to say about him. Although to be fair, I remember seeing him on Soccer AM about a year ago and thinking that he was acting like a prat.

osarusan
03/01/2007, 10:20 AM
That's why I'm always surprised to see that not many people have good things to say about him.

Agreed. Fair enough, he is having a bit of a whinge, but his dream career, which he, unlike most, actually had the ability to realise, was taken away by injuries. I'd be whinging a bit too.

NY Hoop
03/01/2007, 11:34 AM
He should be grateful that he had a career given his injuries. He had the ultimate honour of playing for his country and, as mentioned, is a millionaire and he's still whinging:eek:

Granted he's probably a sound chap but that kind of moaning from a guy who used to earn 10k a week jars a bit. When he was at Boro they had a big drinkers club and the story he mentions about the niteclub isnt the only time he was in trouble over there.

KOH

galwayhoop
03/01/2007, 11:47 AM
He should be grateful that he had a career given his injuries. He had the ultimate honour of playing for his country and, as mentioned, is a millionaire and he's still whinging:eek:

KOH

i remember when he finally retired there was about 2 paragraphs in the paper but he did say that he "had the privilege to represent the best country in the world".... i thought it was a nice touch

geysir
03/01/2007, 1:35 PM
It's the combinition of destructive illness, accident prone and victimhood which makes Keith more than a bit different than the run of the mill injured talent. Does there exist a more accident /injury prone footballer?
Nothing against the guy at all. Just one nauseating memory of him being interviewed by Dunphy along with Sadlier. Dunphy at his sycophantic worst with his tongue drooling along the floor telling them and us that we would be at the Finals if they were still playing.

Royal rover
03/01/2007, 4:00 PM
Yes that would be dunphy allright, you could never class Richie Sadlier as a premiership footballer, although i did rate O'Neil very highly although even when i saw him with Middlesborough they used him as a wing back in 5-3-2 formation, which never suited him

livehead1
03/01/2007, 9:26 PM
Very surpised to here that is what Keith O'Neill was diagnosed with. I had EXACTLY the same two conditions diagnosed when i was around 13. I would play a match and be in absolute agony for about 3-5 days after, then play again and be in agony once more. Its extremely painful. However, mine was diagnosed very quickly by a specialist, and physio, hydrotherapy (water physio), 18 months rest from sport and not overdoing it have meant that 7 years later im still able to play at quite a decent level. I have no doubt, that if he was looked after properly, he could still have made it with the conditions he has.

Billsthoughts
03/01/2007, 11:36 PM
although i did rate O'Neil very highly although even when i saw him with Middlesborough they used him as a wing back in 5-3-2 formation, which never suited him

ah wing backs......was there anything they couldnt do.......?

RogerMilla
04/01/2007, 12:30 PM
i remember the quote " greatest country in the world" and thought fair play to him at the time

The Legend
04/01/2007, 4:36 PM
I remember long flowing locks of curly black hair and thought I have issues....

... ha, I think we should end this thread now

OwlsFan
07/01/2007, 5:20 PM
Similar type injury story by Fanning about Sadlier in today's Sunday Indo. However, there is a tiny glimmer for Sadlier at the end of the tunnel and he ends up by talking about coming back to Ireland to the EL if a club was prepared to take a chance on him.

drinkfeckarse
08/01/2007, 11:59 AM
So if he cannot play in England how does he think he can play in Ireland?

Sounds like another one who underestimates how far the league has come and looks on it as easy dough.

galwayhoop
08/01/2007, 2:15 PM
if he has a dodgy back i think he is deluded in thinking the eL is a soft touch - more physical than the EPL and championship

OwlsFan
08/01/2007, 2:15 PM
The latest prognosis on his hip is that it is a muscle injury and not the injury that wasn't healing so he's hopeful he may resurrect a career in Ireland if an EL club will take a chance of him. He doesn't believe an English club will - that was my reading of it anyway.

galwayhoop
08/01/2007, 2:16 PM
fair enough - stand corrected

tblade
10/01/2007, 11:57 AM
Mick walked by and ignored me. I was low as a snake’s belly anyway. It was a terrible way to end my last ever game for a kid like me who was so proud of playing for his country.”

Another stunning example of Mick's management skills!

OwlsFan
10/01/2007, 12:41 PM
Another stunning example of Mick's management skills!

Two hours sitting round waiting for a delayed plane in Macedonia after a disasterous result. I am not surprised Mick wasn't in talking mood.

Billsthoughts
10/01/2007, 6:36 PM
Two hours sitting round waiting for a delayed plane in Macedonia after a disasterous result. I am not surprised Mick wasn't in talking mood.

yet keane was a primadonna for wanting actual training gear to be there.....:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Jerry The Saint
11/01/2007, 9:06 AM
yet keane was a primadonna for wanting actual training gear to be there.....

In the airport:confused: Is there no end to the man's dedication? :eek:

NY Hoop
11/01/2007, 10:28 AM
In the airport:confused: Is there no end to the man's dedication? :eek:

Let. It. Go.

In fairness at least O'Neill was proud to play for his country.

KOH