PDA

View Full Version : Ireland v USSR, Euro 88, New Year's Day

Pages : [1] 2

pineapple stu
01/01/2007, 2:09 PM
On tonight on Setanta at 8pm, according to their listings (http://entertainment.ie/TV/display.asp?cat=TV). Lasts for two hours, so must be the whole match. Definitely one for the video!

Wolfie
01/01/2007, 7:03 PM
Great performance that night.

As Jack Charlton said of the goal - "Goals that you really enjoy come as a shock".

The Aldridge volley over the bar, the most blatant peno never given when Tony Galvin was pole axed by Dasayev...............should have won it.

pineapple stu
01/01/2007, 9:50 PM
Given that it was the second game of football I ever watched (first coming two or three days previously), I don't really remember much about it apart from the goals and the penalty, which I'd seen numerous times since. We played them off the park completely! I think they had about one shot in the entire game, which went in, while Dassayev made a couple of superb stops...

Here's hoping for the other two games soon to finish my video collection!

Wolfie
01/01/2007, 11:33 PM
Christ!! Did I say Galvin was pole axed - that was more like a WWF move.

I remember Kevin Moran saying that the team effectively disobeyed orders and started playing football in the 2nd half. The USSR thought we'd drop back and knock it long - so we got the ball down, played a bit and turned up the pressure.

Imagine Mcgrath was injured that night and Lawrenson and Brady were missing from the first 11.

NeilMcD
02/01/2007, 12:46 PM
And Jim Beglin.

youngirish
02/01/2007, 12:48 PM
Christ!! Did I say Galvin was pole axed - that was more like a WWF move.

I remember Kevin Moran saying that the team effectively disobeyed orders and started playing football in the 2nd half. The USSR thought we'd drop back and knock it long - so we got the ball down, played a bit and turned up the pressure.

Imagine Mcgrath was injured that night and Lawrenson and Brady were missing from the first 11.

Hadn't Lawrenson retired from international footie before the Euros?

gspain
02/01/2007, 12:57 PM
Lawrenson and Beglin had both retired at that stage due to injuries. Brady was injured and would have been suspended anyway. McGrath missed the game too.

Superb performance arguably our best ever. Even if we'd won we were not through but we certainly deserved to win that night.

NeilMcD
02/01/2007, 1:01 PM
Just shows how strong our squad was then compared to now. Also how good they were and how much characther there was in the team also. There were so many talkers in that team and now we have very few.

Collyontour
02/01/2007, 1:10 PM
Watched the game again last night. Class performance. If only we could get the same level of commitment now.

gspain
02/01/2007, 1:24 PM
Just shows how strong our squad was then compared to now. Also how good they were and how much characther there was in the team also. There were so many talkers in that team and now we have very few.

Agreed there were plenty of leaders in that team.

A couple of years earlier was probably the nadir (before Nicosia) of my time supporting Ireland. We'd lost 4-1 at home to Denmark. Jimmy Magee stated that we'd never qualify for a major finals in his lifetime and frankly I didn't think I'd see any in mine either and I was still in college then.

Jack Charlton made a massive difference. He transformed the way we played which may have been harder on the eye. however we were very effective and played with a lot more self belief particularly away from home.

We got lucky with Gary Mackay's goal in Sofia but it has often been forgotten that we lost in Sofia to a late penalty given for a foul that was at least a yard outside the area and had a perfectly good goal disallowed at 1-1 too.

OwlsFan
02/01/2007, 1:26 PM

Chris Morris and Tony Galvin wouldn't get in to our current team. Duff. Keane and Given would also have got in to that side. What we really lack in the current side is in central midfield partnership and another decent centre half (i.e. 3 players short of a reasonable side).

Euro 88: won one we should have lost, lost one we should have drawn and drew one we should have won.

Was at the game. Bloody wave almost spoilt the view of the Whelan goal. On to Gelsenkirchen and heart break - still hurts :(

OwlsFan
02/01/2007, 1:32 PM
We got lucky with Gary Mackay's goal in Sofia .

We ended up with more points than Bulgaria - end of story. If the Sofia match had been at the start of the campaign and Scotland won, there would be none of this "got lucky" theory. As far as I am concerned, we deserved to get to Germany for our only ever Euro campaign because we had more points than anyone else. If Bulgaria, aren't good enough to beat Scotland, that's down to Bulgarian short comings and not luck for us. Otherwise, ANYONE who qualifies for a campaign is lucky because the opposition have dropped points against other teams.

gspain
02/01/2007, 1:43 PM
We ended up with more points than Bulgaria - end of story. If the Sofia match had been at the start of the campaign and Scotland won, there would be none of this "got lucky" theory. As far as I am concerned, we deserved to get to Germany for our only ever Euro campaign because we had more points than anyone else. If Bulgaria, aren't good enough to beat Scotland, that's down to Bulgarian short comings and not luck for us. Otherwise, ANYONE who qualifies for a campaign is lucky because the opposition have dropped points against other teams.

Please re-read my post instead of selectively quoting from it.

We definitely deserved to go to Euro88.

Wolfie
02/01/2007, 2:27 PM
Agreed there were plenty of leaders in that team.

That's a particularly valid point in the context of how few we have at the moment.

Even watching the re-run last night there were various occasions where Whelan, Stapleton, McCarthy, Moran, Houghton could be seen cajoling and encouraging all around them for further and sustained effort. Always great to see.

The ability within that side was often under-rated, particularly when you consider that Aldridge, Whelan and Houghton were part of a very strong Liverpool side throughout the late 80's / early 90's.

Ireland's performances in Euro 88 finals had been threatening to happen - Belgium away, Scotland away and Bulgaria at home during the qualifying campaign offered indications of what was to follow.

The friendlies during the first half of '88 - all wins against Romania, Yugoslavia and Poland (if the memory serves me correctly!!) helped to continue the momentum also.

BradyIsMyHero
02/01/2007, 2:35 PM
i've been following the team since early 1970s and I can say that the Soviet Union game in Hanover was one of the greatest ever displays by an Ireland team. Should have won by several goals - only Dasyaev and the ref prevented it.

Just finished reading Paul McGrath's abook - an incredible read. He himself was injured for that game, and Kevin Sheedy came in for him. Sheedy was a marvellous and gifted player - had all of the footballing qualities of David Beckham, but without the pop star image. Unfortunately, Jack didn't fancy him, and dropped him for the next game against Holland, when McGrath was fit again. Sheedy totally controlled the game that evening from midfield. In fairness to McGrath, he says in his book that the Soviet Union game was probably their greatest, in terms of pure passing skill and something approaching total football.

However, Jack quickly put a stop to all that.

youngirish
02/01/2007, 2:48 PM
Sheedy was one of Charlton's favourites. He always stuck him on the left of midfield.

OwlsFan
02/01/2007, 3:34 PM

:rolleyes: Correct me if I am wrong but I just have a vague recollection of Sheedy scoring for Ireland against England in Italia 90 and Jack may have been the manager at the time. But I am sure that your rewriting of history makes a better read.

geysir
02/01/2007, 4:40 PM
The local Icelandic tv station had a contract to show 11 out of the 12 group games from the '88 Euros and the one game excluded was the Soviet game. (Sounds like a line from a Keith O'Neill autobiog.)
I've never seen the game so I don't know how well we could have played when Jack once took life easy for 90 minutes.
If anyone can put it on a torrent site or whatever, otherwise I'll carry on with my state of disbelief.

Noelys Guitar
03/01/2007, 12:55 AM
I was at the match and had a great view of the peno which was never given. A cast iron peno at that. Aldridge kicked over when he should have headed the ball. Tony Galvin was outstanding that night. The whole team was. We destroyed the USSR for half an hour in the second half. They had just beaten Holland 1-0 and we made them look second rate for most of the game. And didn't Sheedy come on early in the game against Holland? McGrath at full back.

osarusan
03/01/2007, 7:25 AM
In fairness to McGrath, he says in his book that the Soviet Union game was probably their greatest, in terms of pure passing skill and something approaching total football.

Pretty sure that he is talking to Jack putting an end to Ireland's attempts at 'total footbal'.

:rolleyes: Correct me if I am wrong but I just have a vague recollection of Sheedy scoring for Ireland against England in Italia 90 and Jack may have been the manager at the time. But I am sure that your rewriting of history makes a better read.

But I am sure your inability to read his post helps your post make sense.

OwlsFan
03/01/2007, 10:02 AM
. . Sheedy was a marvellous and gifted player - had all of the footballing qualities of David Beckham, but without the pop star image. Unfortunately, Jack didn't fancy him, and dropped him for the next game against Holland.

Jack didn't fancy Sheedy. Just not true as already explained. However, come 1990 when Jack still played Sheedy, his best years were behind him. He used to score some superb goals for that very good Everton team of the 1980s.

However, I agree I might have misinterpreted the part where he said "Jack put a stop to all that". Can be interpreted as referring to the Soviet's style of total football as well as opposed to Sheedy's great football so I'll put my hand up there if I am wrong :o

osarusan
03/01/2007, 10:18 AM
However, I agree I might have misinterpreted the part where he said "Jack put a stop to all that". Can be interpreted as referring to the Soviet's style of total football as well as opposed to Sheedy's great football so I'll put my hand up there if I am wrong :o

Aye, I dont ever remember Jack, or anybody, having a problem with Sheedy, unless he meant a problem in a specific position.

But I may be wrong also, perhaps he has info we don't. Dont have stats on how many games Sheedy played under Jack, but I dont remember any controversy at any time. But I was only a young wan back then.

pineapple stu
03/01/2007, 12:39 PM
I was at the match and had a great view of the peno which was never given. A cast iron peno at that. Aldridge kicked over when he should have headed the ball.
You mustn't have had that great a view of it then! It was Galvin who was "decapitated" (to use Charlton's word), not Aldridge. And if he'd have gone in for the header, he would have been decapitated. Dassayev came out with a sliding tackle and Galvin nicked it past him before getting creamed.

What was really interesting though was that there was absolutely no appeal for it - not from the players, not from Hamilton (who never mentioned the idea of a penalty), not from anyone. Wierd!

Don't have stats on how many games Sheedy played under Jack
Sheedy got 46 caps between 1983 and 1993. In the same period, we played 93 games (http://www.rsssf.com/tablesi/ier-intres.html). I think he was with Blackpool when he got his last cap, so he certainly wasn't discarded too quickly anyway.

Interesting to hear Hamilton talk about how Sheedy wanted away from Everton for playing left-wing, although he was happy to play there for Ireland.

Wolfie
03/01/2007, 2:07 PM
Sheedy had his moments.

The equaliser against England in the 90 World Cup was quality - an opportunistic and powerful strike.

Converted peno No 1 against Romania in the Peno Shoot Out in 90.

I remember Jack Charlton said in an interview that he asked Sheedy prior to taking the peno where was he going to place it.

Sheedy said "I'm going to smash it straight down the middle over the Keeper".

And he did...............

Fergie's Son
03/01/2007, 3:34 PM
I never heard of any problems between Sheedy and Charlton. He was an excellent player for Ireland. Could not ask for anything more. He even scored a late equalizer against Norway I believe to preserve our unbeaten run at Lansdowne :)

Irish_Praha
03/01/2007, 6:47 PM
I never heard of any problems between Sheedy and Charlton. He was an excellent player for Ireland. Could not ask for anything more. He even scored a late equalizer against Norway I believe to preserve our unbeaten run at Lansdowne :)

I could google that but i think it was against Finland not norway.

Irish_Praha
03/01/2007, 6:52 PM
Did a google and it was Finland in 1990, apprarently it was Liam Brady's testimonial.

as_i_say
03/01/2007, 9:45 PM
think sheedy got his last goal in the 4-0 home win against latvija in 1992

Superhoops
03/01/2007, 9:46 PM
You mustn't have had that great a view of it then! It was Galvin who was "decapitated" (to use Charlton's word), not Aldridge. And if he'd have gone in for the header, he would have been decapitated. Dassayev came out with a sliding tackle and Galvin nicked it past him before getting creamed.

Sheedy got 46 caps between 1983 and 1993. In the same period, we played 93 games (http://www.rsssf.com/tablesi/ier-intres.html). I think he was with Blackpool when he got his last cap, so he certainly wasn't discarded too quickly anyway......
Kevin Sheedy was first capped by Eoin Hand when he came on for the last 10 minutes as a sub for Tony Grealish against Holland in Lansdowne in October 1983, a game we lost 2-3 after leading 2-0 at half-time.

When Jack took over in March 1986, Sheedy had 8 caps. He did not play in Jack's first 5 games. His first game for Jack was the 0-0 home draw against Scotland in October 1986 and in the next game, a 1-0 defeat away to Poland in November 1986. He did not play again for Jack until November 1987 when he was in th etema that beat Israel 5-0 at Dalymount.

In Euro 1988, he started one game (v USSR) and came on as sub in the other two. He played fairly regularly in 1989 and 1990 and in Italia 1990, he started in all 5 games. He did not played in any of the three games at the end of 1990, but returned to duty for the 'ice show' against Wales in Wrexham in February 1991. He was in the starting line up for every game from then until we played Wales again 12 months later in the RDS.

Between that game and the next game at home to Switzerland in March 1992, a game in which he came on as a sub, he moved from Everton to Newcastle. He started in the home WC qualifiers against Albania, May 1992, (won 2-0) and Latvia, September 1992, (won 4-0) - his last starting game for Ireland.

He got his 46th and last cap when he came on as a sub. and scored (his 9th international goal) against Wales in the 2-1 win at Tolka in February 1993. He was still with Newcastle at the time.

I always thought he was unlucky not to get to the 50 caps mark, he certainly deserved it.

Noelys Guitar
03/01/2007, 9:58 PM

What was really interesting though was that there was absolutely no appeal for it - not from the players, not from Hamilton (who never mentioned the idea of a penalty), not from anyone. Wierd!

Sheedy got 46 caps between 1983 and 1993. In the same period, we played 93 games (http://www.rsssf.com/tablesi/ier-intres.html). I think he was with Blackpool when he got his last cap, so he certainly wasn't discarded too quickly anyway.

Interesting to hear Hamilton talk about how Sheedy wanted away from Everton for playing left-wing, although he was happy to play there for Ireland.

Aldridge lunged at the ball with his foot when he should have headed the ball. Clear chance. The 'peno' incident came before that happened. And Sheedy almost scored against the Dutch. If I remember rightly Ray houghton got in his way as he was about to shoot.

OwlsFan
04/01/2007, 4:42 PM
There is actually a valid Irish claim for a peno in the Dutch game after their goal. There is a clear push on Aldridge in the box - watch the video some day and you'll see him mimicking the push to the linesman and then watch it again and you'll see the clear push :mad:

Wolfie
04/01/2007, 6:41 PM
There is actually a valid Irish claim for a peno in the Dutch game after their goal. There is a clear push on Aldridge in the box - watch the video some day and you'll see him mimicking the push to the linesman and then watch it again and you'll see the clear push :mad:

The McGrath header off the post in the 8th minute still haunts me to this day. Hit the post, hit Frank Rykaard on the back and landed on the goal line. :mad:

Old news but we pushed them close.

As for their goal...............:(

NY Hoop
05/01/2007, 10:39 AM
The McGrath header off the post in the 8th minute still haunts me to this day. Hit the post, hit Frank Rykaard on the back and landed on the goal line. :mad:

Old news but we pushed them close.

As for their goal...............:(

Hit Gerald Vanenburg on the line.

KOH

Wolfie
05/01/2007, 11:55 AM
Hit Gerald Vanenburg on the line.

KOH

Stand corrected - Vandenburg so!

I think the point was that we were very unlucky not to score as opposed to who it hit on the line!!

eirebhoy
16/01/2007, 6:02 PM
9pm Friday on Setanta.

International Football - ROI vs Northern Ireland
A look back at the classic encounter involving Republic of Ireland and Northern Ireland at Landsdowne from 1989, where national pride was pushed aside for quality football to take over. This was a huge game in the push for World Cup 1990 qualification.

Wolfie
16/01/2007, 11:02 PM
9pm Friday on Setanta.

International Football - ROI vs Northern Ireland
A look back at the classic encounter involving Republic of Ireland and Northern Ireland at Landsdowne from 1989, where national pride was pushed aside for quality football to take over. This was a huge game in the push for World Cup 1990 qualification.

That was a crucial result alright. 3 Nil - you beauty!!

The tension in the ground during the first half was unbearable. O'Neill should have scored on two occasions for the North before Whelan finished well just before half time - the place went Radio Rental.

Our second goal lifted the pressure, and the remainder of the game was a stroll - I remember Aldridge had a catelogue of near misses.

A great day and I think it was our first recorded victory over the North.

pineapple stu
17/01/2007, 5:43 PM
All got brought down the hall in school for that one. 2:30 Wednesday kick off or something - you'd never hear of it nowadays!

Wolfie
17/01/2007, 9:51 PM
All got brought down the hall in school for that one. 2:30 Wednesday kick off or something - you'd never hear of it nowadays!

That's right!, early afternoon kick off - started early for security reasons.

Used to get a half day from school on Wednesdays and vividly remember standing on the North terrace for that game. A real feeling of elation after that game - people were daring to think we could finally be going to a World Cup.

Irish_Praha
17/01/2007, 10:14 PM
Ah back in the days when there were only 4 or 5 teams in a qualification group.

Wolfie
17/01/2007, 10:29 PM
Ah back in the days when there were only 4 or 5 teams in a qualification group.

Bit different to the cast of thousands you get these days

pineapple stu
17/01/2007, 10:36 PM
That's right!, early afternoon kick off - started early for security reasons.
Nothing to do with security, as I recall - all the games started early because there were no floodlights in Lansdowne. First game under floodlights was 1-0 v Bolivia in 1994 (John Sheridan scored a cracker); all the games were played in the afternoon.

Wolfie
17/01/2007, 10:52 PM
Nothing to do with security, as I recall - all the games started early because there were no floodlights in Lansdowne. First game under floodlights was 1-0 v Bolivia in 1994 (John Sheridan scored a cracker); all the games were played in the afternoon.

Its all academic, but I recall the Norn Iron match kicked off particularly early - must have been around 1pm. The usual kick off was later in the afternoon.

gspain
19/01/2007, 8:25 AM
Its all academic, but I recall the Norn Iron match kicked off particularly early - must have been around 1pm. The usual kick off was later in the afternoon.

Definitely no lights then but you may be right as some games did kickoff particularly early for security reasons. I think England 1990 was one.

There were no away fans at the NI game although some obviously got tickets.

OwlsFan
19/01/2007, 12:04 PM

Three of my friends went to the game. I chickened out. They have never let me forget it :o

Wolfie
19/01/2007, 12:10 PM

Yeah - they had a bit more of a presence at the March 93 World Cup qualifier.

I was on the South Terrace for that one. At half time a Nordie fan in the East Stand started taunting the crowd with a Union Jack. He got battered.

Didn't really show anyone up in a good light.

England at Lansdowne in 1990 - the long running unbeaten home record was at threat - by England and the game seemed to be slipping away.

When all seemed lost, The Ice Cream Man cometh. Cascarino nicks a headed equaliser.

One of the most mental crowd celebrations I've ever been amongst. Most notably the "impartial" stewards behind the goal. Hilarious.

gspain
19/01/2007, 1:39 PM
Yeah - they had a bit more of a presence at the March 93 World Cup qualifier.

I was on the South Terrace for that one. At half time a Nordie fan in the East Stand started taunting the crowd with a Union Jack. He got battered.

Didn't really show anyone up in a good light.

England at Lansdowne in 1990 - the long running unbeaten home record was at threat - by England and the game seemed to be slipping away.

When all seemed lost, The Ice Cream Man cometh. Cascarino nicks a headed equaliser.

One of the most mental crowd celebrations I've ever been amongst. Most notably the "impartial" stewards behind the goal. Hilarious.

I was in the west upper in 93 and there was a Union Jack in UZ of the east Upper hanging on full view for the whole first half. I was at the 78 game and apparently there was trouble although I can't remember it. I didn't think there were any problems at the 89, 93 or 95 games in Dublin.

It was obviously better on the terraces but far too many suits (literally) in the stands in those years. Spain 89 had a fantastic atmosphere but after that it was poor for years.

Wolfie
19/01/2007, 3:09 PM
I was in the west upper in 93 and there was a Union Jack in UZ of the east Upper hanging on full view for the whole first half. I was at the 78 game and apparently there was trouble although I can't remember it. I didn't think there were any problems at the 89, 93 or 95 games in Dublin.

It was obviously better on the terraces but far too many suits (literally) in the stands in those years. Spain 89 had a fantastic atmosphere but after that it was poor for years.

Yeah - that bloke gettin the slaps was an isolated incident at the '93 Match. It was bucket seats and that's how everyone spotted him so easily. No real trouble at the game.

Spain '89 had a great atmosphere. Everyone was up for it.

Was that the week after Hillsborough? I think the game came too early for Aldridge to play.

Pat O' Banton
19/01/2007, 6:40 PM
Just getting back to the USSR game, am I right in thinking that even if we would have won it we would have still failed to qualify for the semi's, due to the fact of our 'poor showing;) :D ' against England? (The Soviets - or Ukraines to give them their more accurate description - and the Dutch both having put three past England)

pineapple stu
19/01/2007, 6:53 PM
Yep.

My Euro 88 sticker album :o tells me we'd all have finished on four points had we beaten Kiev - two wins and a defeat. Our goals record would have been 2-1, Holland would have had 4-2 and USSR 4-2.

Had we drawn against the Dutch having drawn against the USSR, however, we'd have been through to play West Germany in the semis.

DeNiro
19/01/2007, 6:53 PM
I don't think the better result rule was in place at the time of Euro 88. I thought that only arrived in the late 90s?