PDA

View Full Version : UEFA sa Ghaeltacht

CollegeTillIDie
31/12/2006, 8:38 AM
Attention all GUFC supporters !

If you are not on the tear tonight or if you haven't left the house yet, take 30 minutes out of your time to watch the following programme which charted Galway United's 1986 European adventure. UEFA Sa Gaeltacht!

You might even brush up your gaeilge into the bargain!

If you have a programmable video the code is 27474561

Patrick Dunne
31/12/2006, 11:47 AM
www.galwayunitedfc.ie

This should be a good documentary. TG4 travelled to the Netherlands and also have some original footage from RTE and Dutch television.

This was our second consecutive season in Europe. From 1985 - 1991 we played in Europe three times. From 1986-1997 we won seven national senior trophies.

Sadly, in recent seasons, the clubs history has been airbrushed away.
Recent events would have you believe that we are a Dublin Cityesque style
franchise only formed in the past couple of years. This is partly our fault,
the club has never really acknowledged its past or our former legends.

One of my New Years resolutions for 2007 is to help re-educate the younger generation of supporters about the proud history of GUFC.

Happy New Year !

JW.
31/12/2006, 12:56 PM
A perfectly achievable resolution Pa.

gufct
31/12/2006, 1:01 PM
Morning Pa any chance you would record it for me as TG4 hasnt reached Dallas yet. What a day that was a mini bus full of United supporters , loi fans including 2 ucd fans stu (one the infamous johnny lyons of 98fm), 2 punctures and more drink than a guisa day out.

First day i met Bernie O'Connell and we have had some ups and downs since including doing the FAI Cup Final commentary together in '91.

pixiehead
31/12/2006, 4:18 PM
Thanks C.T.I.D Look forward to it ;)

Patrick Dunne
01/01/2007, 1:33 PM
Thanks to galwaygirl, who has recorded the documentary, we hope
to show it in Foxes after the GUST AGM there on January 9th (7.00pm).

gspain
02/01/2007, 11:43 AM
I was disappointed with the programme. I remember the game well and travelled up form Limerick for it. It definitely captured the imagination of the football public of the time and fair play to the folks in the Connemara Pitch committee for putting in a great effort to make the day a success.

I was disappointed with the programme in that they took from the sense of occaion by pretending Groningen were a lot bigger than they were/are. They failed to mention Galway had been in Europe the year before and implied it was their first time. My recollection is that the pitch issue was sorted out weeks in advance and not after the first leg as was implied. Aidan Gallagher would have been an FAI official not a UEFA one. The story was big enough for a programme without having to pretend it was bigger.

Still a surreal game played in the lovely Connemara wilderness. Great to see the footage of the game again too.

Terry
02/01/2007, 12:13 PM
Glad Im not the only one that was thinking there was a few mistakes, all the same enjoyed it and it brought back some happy memories.

westsider
03/01/2007, 9:00 PM
Hi folks,

As someone who was involved with the making of the UEFA sa Ghaeltacht programme, I am sorry that gspain was disappointed with it, and am dismayed to think that it might have errors in it.

Let me attempt to clarify a few things. First of all, it was mentioned in the programme that Galway United had been in Europe previously (in both the voiceover and by Bernie O'Connell, I think).

I didn't think that there was any implication that the pitch issue wasn't settled until after the first tie, certainely not consciously. I suspect it might have seemed like that because of the structure of the programme, which kind of dictated that it started off with the first leg over in Holland, before coming to the second leg in Galway and the issues that cropped up because of that.

Also, Aidan Gallagher was an FAI official at the time, but as a UEFA-certified ref, carried out the pitch inspection for UEFA, and not the FAI, as it was a UEFA competition and not an FAI competition.

I'm not sure if this explains anything, but would suspect that some stuff gets lost in the subtitles also...

BohsFans
03/01/2007, 9:47 PM
has anyone 'youtuded' it yet. Sounds like a every interesting programme.

What were the scores?

Where did they play at 'home' the previous year?

Terry
06/01/2007, 9:30 PM
Its on again tomorrow, Sunday at 3.35pm

gspain
07/01/2007, 11:16 AM
The game the previous year was v Lyngby and played at the Sportsground. Galway returned from Denmark 1-0 down with high hopes of qualifying but lost 3-2 at home. I was at that game too and there was a huge crowd there if I recall correctly.

I don't recall why the Sportsground wasn't used in 86 or indeed in 91 when Galway met OB in Balindereen. It may have been down to lack of fencing. Seating and spectator comfort were not an issue in those days but security was and the Sportsground did allow easy spectator access on to the pitch.
I remember it closing for some redevelopment (i lived in Galway from 87-94) but that can't have been the reason for 86 and 91.

My understanding at the time was that the national football association eg the FAI would sanction the ground. .

GalwayFrancis
07/01/2007, 3:49 PM
Its on again tomorrow, Sunday at 3.35pm

good show, i hadnt seen any footage of either games before. does anyone have either game on tape?

Terry
07/01/2007, 6:55 PM
I think my uncle might have it on betamax(sp?) Francis !!! :D

Paddyfield
07/01/2007, 7:57 PM
The game the previous year was v Lyngby and played at the Sportsground. Galway returned from Denmark 1-0 down with high hopes of qualifying but lost 3-2 at home. I was at that game too and there was a huge crowd there if I recall correctly.

I don't recall why the Sportsground wasn't used in 86 or indeed in 91 when Galway met OB in Balindereen. It may have been down to lack of fencing. Seating and spectator comfort were not an issue in those days but security was and the Sportsground did allow easy spectator access on to the pitch.
I remember it closing for some redevelopment (i lived in Galway from 87-94) but that can't have been the reason for 86 and 91.

My understanding at the time was that the national football association eg the FAI would sanction the ground. .

Nice memories gspain. I organised a bus from my school (Colaiste Einde, Salthill) for the game in the Gaeltacht. I was 15 or 16. Many were surprised that the school 'allowed' the bus to go from outdside the school as most of the teachers were GAA activists including Joe McDonagh who went on to become president of the GAA and Enda Colleran RIP who won a few All Irelands and was then a commentator on RTE's Sunday Game tv programme. No objections were received.

I didn't see the programme on TG4 (I just got back from Lanzarote today) but I remember the day fondly. Hopes of winning and then playing an English Club in the arseho!e of Connemara were commonplace.

Many years later, I was outside Selhurst Park (Crystal Palace's stadium) on a non-match day when I saw a sign for a Match Programme Fair. I went in for a gander and picked up some interesting GUFC programmes including the away games V Lyngby and Gronigen. I also found Galway Rovers' first ever match programme for .50p. It is surely worth a fiver today!!!!

I know you are an avid Programme Collector gspain but I 'aint parting with my GUFC in Europe programmes.

GalwayFrancis
07/01/2007, 11:18 PM
just checked ebay there for a programme from these games. found the one from the home games vs lyngby. check it out:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ECWC-GALWAY-UNITED-v-Lyngby-85-6_W0QQitemZ110075609772QQihZ001QQcategoryZ123727QQ ssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Paddyfield
08/01/2007, 5:38 AM
just checked ebay there for a programme from these games. found the one from the home games vs lyngby. check it out:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ECWC-GALWAY-UNITED-v-Lyngby-85-6_W0QQitemZ110075609772QQihZ001QQcategoryZ123727QQ ssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I was referring to the match programmes for the AWAY games

gspain
08/01/2007, 7:03 AM
I actually have the Galway home and away programmes in Europe. Lygnby and OB away are quite easy to get still. Groningen away is pretty difficult. It is a newspaper issue. The homes are all relatively easy to get.

I'm still looking for tickets as unfortunately didn't keep my tickets at the time.

The first Galway Rovers programme you mention I assume is the game v St. Pats. That is certainly not common and a real find. I haven't seen one for sale for a long time now and reckon it is worth at least €20-€30. It has always been assumed that Galway didn't issue for the League Cup games in 76/7 or for the pre-season friendly v East Fife in 1977.

MyTown
08/01/2007, 9:02 AM
GSpain: There were definitely no programmes for the League Cup games in autumn 1976. Loads of newspaper coverage, particularly about Sligo Rovers Bay City Rollers brigade who caused havoc in town when they came to visit. I gave all my GUFC programmes including the opening one v Pats to some one who was associated with the club a few years ago. He doesn't appear there now so I don't know if the programmes are in the clubs custody or part of his personal collection.

gilberto_eire
24/07/2007, 12:10 AM
just to anyone who never saw it, you can find it in the TG4 archive!

http://www.tg4.ie/Bearla/Webt/webt.htm

launch that and go into sport!

also the Rovers match is there!

Torn-Ado
26/07/2007, 4:52 PM
just to anyone who never saw it, you can find it in the TG4 archive!

http://www.tg4.ie/Bearla/Webt/webt.htm

launch that and go into sport!

also the Rovers match is there!

Just finished watching it there. Fair play to TG4. Always good for their documentaries about sport, history etc.

:)