PDA

View Full Version : Crowe likely to start

Éanna
18/11/2002, 5:55 PM
fai site (http://www.fai.ie/NR/exeres/0A794C01-5148-49E1-899F-2F4D98A37718.htm) Don Givens' Republic of Ireland squad for Wednesday's friendly against Greece in Athens has been depleted by injuries with eleven players being forced to withdraw, resulting in call ups for eircom League pair, Glen Crowe and Wes Houlihan, and Coventry City's Richie Partridge and Barry Quinn.

Givens admitted when he named his squad last week he expected a few withdrawls, but even he was surprised by the number who were forced to withdraw as Stephen Carr (calf), Gary Kelly (hamstring), Ian Harte (calf), Mark Kinsella (ear infection), Kevin Kilbane (shoulder), Clinton Morrison (groin), Damien Duff (calf), Robbie Keane (shoulder), Graham Barrett (knee) and Andy O'Brien (family reasons) joined Mark Kennedy on the absent list.

"When I named the 25 last week, I expected a few to withdraw but I was surprised by the number. But it gives the players left in the squad and those coming in a great chance to impress at international level," Givens said.

Wimbledon's in-form striker David Connolly turned down the opportunity to join the squad on the grounds that he was not included in the original squad and the snub annoyed Givens. "I think that any player who is called up to represent their country should take the opportunity and no manager would be pleased."

However, Bohemians striker Crowe, Shelbourne winger Houlihan, Coventry midfielder Quinn as well as Partridge, currently on loan with Coventry from Liverpool all join up with the squad. Only Quinn has played for Ireland before, though Crowe has been called into the squad in the past and Givens hinted that it was likely he would make an appearance."

"I have been very impressed by him when I have seen him. He scores goals and that's a good habit to have. He's a good player in a good team. He looks a lot sharper and fitter this year than in previous years. and on Wednesday he can show that he step up a level."
Revised squad: Given (Newcastle United), Kiely (Charlton Athletic), Colgan (Hibernian), Finnan (Fulham), O'Shea (Manchester United), Dunne (Manchester City), Doherty (Tottenham Hotspur), Breen (West Ham United), Cunningham (Birmingham City), Delap (Southampton), Holland (Ipswich Town), Carsley (Everton), McPhail (Leeds United), Healy (Celtic), Houlihan (Shelbourne), Partridge (Coventry City), Quinn (Coventry City), Crowe (Bohemians).

James
18/11/2002, 5:58 PM
outstanding news
hope he starts, and plays well.

maybe in years to come we could have a jof and crowe strikeforce.. backed up from the bench by robbie keane

Éanna
18/11/2002, 6:07 PM
Originally posted by James
backed up from the bench by robbie keane
Nah, no chance boy. It´ll be Jimmy Mull on the bench not that chubby little dub :)

James
18/11/2002, 6:10 PM
so we'll swap a chubby donegal man for a chubby dub

*sry jimmy* :D

Éanna
18/11/2002, 6:15 PM
Originally posted by James
so we'll swap a chubby donegal man for a chubby dub

*sry jimmy* :D
thought jimmy mull was a dub too!