PDA

View Full Version : City 1 - 1 Longford

Pages : [1] 2

patsh
16/11/2002, 8:53 PM
1 - 1
Poor enough display by City. J O'F penalty after 5 minutes.
Longford score from a corner in the 2nd half.
Daly had a shocker again.
Is Alan Carey injured?
Reynolds and George were poorish, the rest played well enough.
I thought little team spirit, no real urgency......
Strange game in that no one was too bad (except DD), but it feelt like end ofseason, nothing to play for kind of gam at times....:(

eoinh
16/11/2002, 9:27 PM
why wasn't O flynn subbed in the game. he was injured for the last half hour. He could barely run. That was madness. Poor game. THe one good thing was that we returned to a 4-4-2 system with O'Brien and O'Flynn upfront and Georgie in midfield. That makes more sense. However, it was a poor game.
What was the trouble in the shed about?

patsh
17/11/2002, 9:30 AM
According to a report in the Tribune this morning (is this a first ?),
Alan Carey was dropped.
Hmmmm....Alan Carey dropped and Deccie Daly, who had to be taken off after 20 mins against the scum plays the full 90 minutes...
You are some beauty, Murphy.

As for the trouble in the shed, as far as I could see, one of the stewards picked out a guy to throw out, (there were 2 or 3 platic bottles thrown), but of course got the wrong guy. A little pushing and handbags, gardai arrive and then nothing else happens.
Someone else probably knows more ?

Neil
17/11/2002, 1:39 PM
Originally posted by oddboy
As for the trouble in the shed, as far as I could see, one of the stewards picked out a guy to throw out, (there were 2 or 3 platic bottles thrown), but of course got the wrong guy. A little pushing and handbags, gardai arrive and then nothing else happens.
Someone else probably knows more ?
From what I hear, it was slightly more than handbags. Coins were being thrown at some City fans by little scuts at the back of the Shed. Bottles were being thrown on the pitch. When one fella went to get a steward he ended up getting a puck in the eye. Steward did nothing.

patsh
17/11/2002, 4:31 PM
Originally posted by Neil

From what I hear, it was slightly more than handbags. Coins were being thrown at some City fans by little scuts at the back of the Shed. Bottles were being thrown on the pitch. When one fella went to get a steward he ended up getting a puck in the eye. Steward did nothing.
Yeah, I read the whole story on another thread. I didn't mean to downplay the whole thing. Still, I saw no one being thrown out, and the Gardai did f*ckall as far as I could see.
This cannot go on, though. I have to say that there seemed to be virtually no stewards around the ground last night.
If all this was caused by a group of young scuts, surely there is someone who can recognise them, and stop them getting in to future games ??

Gary
17/11/2002, 6:44 PM
I have a good feeling i know exactly who you are on about, as i had a bit of a run in with them at the Pats game. Of course once the little cnuts saw that someone older than them was getting smart with them they backed right off. In fact I got the "leader" to apologise to me for me throwing a shoulder at him. Cowardly little b*stard.

Colm
17/11/2002, 8:42 PM
Originally posted by GWA
Of course once the little cnuts saw that someone older than them was getting smart with them they backed right off. Well they seemed quite prepared to have a go at people older than them. They are all at least a few years younger than me but they still were throwing punches and they got very aggressive with the stewards some of whom would be pushing 40. They like to think they're hard men but would probably burst into tears if the Guards dragged them home to mummy and told her what little Johnny had been up to.

citylove
18/11/2002, 10:35 AM
Very disappointing that we didn't win, however if City had scored a winner it would have been fully deserved. I thought they played the ball around very well in the 2nd half with Reynolds and Greg outstanding. Colin P was also causing a lot of trouble for the town's defence. I think the problem was we had no game plan (which is nothing new!). The players that didn't play too well IMO were John O'Flynn (a rating 6 rather than the usual 9), he miscontroled the ball numerous of times and Georgie was again poor, he wasn't quick enough releasing the ball especially on counter attacks.

On another point I agree that Murphy should go/sacked However I still feel that we shouldn't be chanting "Murphy Out" especially at this stage of the season. We all know that Murphy will not go between now and the end of season so why upset the team by shouting all kinds of abuse. We should get behind the team as we still have a chance to get something from the season. If we find that we have nothing to play in the last few games then its time to start the MURPHY OUT protest.

Éanna
18/11/2002, 10:42 AM
Originally posted by citylove
However I still feel that we shouldn't be chanting "Murphy Out" especially at this stage of the season. We all know that Murphy will not go between now and the end of season so why upset the team by shouting all kinds of abuse
I can´t see how it would upset the players- most of them can´t stick the idiot either!

James
18/11/2002, 2:10 PM
Originally posted by Éanna
I can´t see how it would upset the players- most of them can´t stick the idiot either!

true
:D

patsh
18/11/2002, 2:47 PM
Originally posted by citylove
Very disappointing that we didn't win, however if City had scored a winner it would have been fully deserved. I thought they played the ball around very well in the 2nd half with Reynolds and Greg outstanding.
I know you are only expressing you opinion but what match were you at?
Longford were well on top for most of the 2nd half, and were very close on a few occasions to getting all 3 points.
Reynolds wasn't a patch on his usual self.

The players that didn't play too well IMO were John O'Flynn (a rating 6 rather than the usual 9), he miscontroled the ball numerous of times and Georgie was again poor, he wasn't quick enough releasing the ball especially on counter attacks.

O'Callaghan had another stinker, and I think J O'F is getting a bit sick and tired of being expected to be a John Aldridge clone. But by far the worst performance on the pitch ??
C'mon on down, Mr. Declan Daly
Please Deccie, pack it in, or you'll destroy all the good memories I have of you.

Troy.McClure
18/11/2002, 2:56 PM
Getting back on topic

Its about time that Carey got dropped, Greg was so much better. Deccie played fine IMO and didnt have any lapses of concentration. AFIK The only thing Devine had to do was pick out the ball from the net after their corner so besides our normal inability to defend (and take) set pieces, our defence was grand (although we shouldnt have conceeded the corner in the first place).

Midfield was poor in general although they wernt bossed around. The lack of ball of real quality into the front 2 was again disapointing, if not worrying. CTOB was poor when he came on for GO'C. Hopefully when Conor O'G comes back he will push Deccie out with Bennet going into defence, other than that I think that we had our strongest starting 11 on Sat.

RE How could booing Gunter effect the team when they dont like him anyway? By giving them an excuse to play crap for the rest of the season so he will get sacked.
Good points: Gunter will get sacked
Bad points: We wont win the league/ get into Europe.

Gunter IN........ till the end of the season, then Gunter Out!

Colm
18/11/2002, 2:59 PM
Sorry Troy, but did you just say Gunther Out?:eek: :D ;) :D

James
18/11/2002, 3:01 PM
but troy if you conceed that gunther out at the end of the season is whats best for city... then why the hell not want him out now instead..

reasons for having him out now.

1 he wont get the chance to **** off even more players resulting in them leaving the club

2 morale wont be dragged even lower

3 it would give the new manager a chance to get to grips with the team b4 the start of a new season and who knows a new man in soonish might actually give the squad a much needed boost resulting in us playing in europe next year

murph out
level the shed

pete
18/11/2002, 3:37 PM
Seeing as City just let Mulligan go & George was playing on the wing who was sitting on the bench besides Colin T & Mooney?

As far as i can see we have No cover for our forwards at all.

Wasn't at the game but i'm guessing Colin P didn't do so well? IMO he much better coming off the bench when he can run at tiring defenses. When he starts games i think defenders are too clever for him & easily force him to run into dead ends in the corners.

Amazing to here daly got his game again! :eek:
- subbed at half time in Bray after poor game
- struggled against Crowe at the cross.
- no better or worse than other v Pats.
- Subbed during the first half after gifting rovers 2 goals in Richmond...

Is Murphy so blinked he won't play Bennet at the back - did he not get city player of the month while playing centre back?

:confused:

citylove
18/11/2002, 3:37 PM
But James it is NOT likely that gunther will be sacked before the end of the season. Wouldn't it be better that we qualify for Europe and then start a huge protest for the last couple of games of the season. We would then be playing in Europe with a new manager.

James
18/11/2002, 3:40 PM
ok imo if we qualify for europe then gunther wont get the sack and we'd have to rely on lennox not renewing his contract

if he stays and we qualify for europe its vindication for all the gunther in muppets that accept second best

if we wait till the end of the season twill be too late, esp if we're still in with chance of europe

citylove
18/11/2002, 3:55 PM
I agree with you somewhat, however if we fail to qualify for Europe it would mean less revenue therefore we wouldn't have the finance to appoint a good full time manager not to mention good players!

James
18/11/2002, 3:59 PM
ok i hear what your saying citylove

but if we continue with gunther in charge
the team will continue to play as badly
results wont pick up
we'll drop down the table
we'll lose fans -> income drops then
he'll **** off / alienate more players

what then ??

Xlex
18/11/2002, 4:14 PM
yet another thread ending up being a gunther thread...

Thanks for the point... :-)

James
18/11/2002, 4:17 PM
ok then xlex

last sat night we dropped points to an inferior longford town side

*brings it back on topic*

fosterdollar
18/11/2002, 4:17 PM
:rolleyes:

Xlex
18/11/2002, 4:21 PM
Originally posted by James

last sat night we dropped points to an inferior longford town side

There's not that much between Longford and Cork... Bohs and Shels beat us twice... Pat's once and Cork never did and if youse continue a miserable away record we'll have three in Flancare please... so there....
:D :D :D :eek: :eek:

A terrific home record is saving ye from being at the Bottom end, and that record is a bit of a fluke... How can home and way form differ so much...

niamh
18/11/2002, 5:08 PM
If Murphy goes now, who would be there to take over. I do not think he will resign before the league is over.

We are still unbeaten at home, let's remember that.

I just hope the players stick it out until the end of the season and that Liam leaves then.

pete
18/11/2002, 5:10 PM
Originally posted by niamh
I just hope the players stick it out until the end of the season and that Liam leaves then.

Unfortunately the word (think its a bit more than speculation) is Murphy is signed up until the end of the 2003 season.

Gary
18/11/2002, 5:53 PM
Ok, Liam was actually "happy enough" with that result. How that can be is beyond me. it was an awful game where we were hopelessly onver run by a very average longford team.

I think that JoF needs a rest BIG TIME. Afterall JF Mulligan is a great replacement.........Oh wait a sec!. Seriously though Flynn needs a rest soon before he gets peed off or injured or both.

Daly to be fair wasnt that bad the other night. like everyone else he was aaaaaaaaaallllllllright, and it was devines fault for the goal. he shouted for it, and again did nothing to follow the shout.

I still say Murphy out, but lads and lassie, ever get the feeling your banging your head against a brick wall.

James
18/11/2002, 5:56 PM
Originally posted by GWA
but lads and lassie, ever get the feeling your banging your head against a brick wall.

hahahahaha

hmmm ;)

Éanna
18/11/2002, 6:00 PM
Originally posted by pete
Unfortunately the word (think its a bit more than speculation) is Murphy is signed up until the end of the 2003 season.
Apparently he has a year left on his contract, not a season.

Originally posted by GWA
I still say Murphy out, but lads and lassie, ever get the feeling your banging your head against a brick wall.
Just a wee bit yeah :rolleyes: Also, there are a lot of people saying "wait til the end of the season" "wait til the last few games" etc etc LADS, WE ****ING WELL DID THAT LAST SEASON, AND WHERE DID IT GET US!?! NOWHERE!:rolleyes: OUT NOW

Troy.McClure
18/11/2002, 7:58 PM
Before I throw up, Im going to laugh myself silly when they anounce Patsy as the new manager, coz I get the feeling that thats whats going to happen.

I guess that Murphy is contracted upto June, which would be a bit into next season wouldnt it? Its more likely that they extend his contract until the end of that season than release him at the end of this one, although Id rather if we got anyone than Rico or Patsy in instead.

Hopefully he will just call it a day ala Hartigan at the end of the season, you know, too much time traveling, making out set plays and doing fan club appearences etc ;)

Éanna
19/11/2002, 1:14 PM
Originally posted by Troy.McClure
I guess that Murphy is contracted upto June,
He has a year left on his contract.

Gary
19/11/2002, 1:31 PM
Originally posted by Troy.McClure
Before I throw up, Im going to laugh myself silly when they anounce Patsy as the new manager, coz I get the feeling that thats whats going to happen.

Dunna what would be so hilarious about that Troy, but i for one, believe that even if Patsy was made mamager it would be a more positive step than leaving d!ckhead in charge.

Éanna
19/11/2002, 2:10 PM
Originally posted by GWA
if Patsy was made mamager it would be a more positive step than leaving d!ckhead in charge.
Do you really think so? I think we need a total break from the past ASAP

Gary
19/11/2002, 2:12 PM
Note i didnt say it would be positive, i said it would be more positive than the current "regime".

Rico in.

Éanna
19/11/2002, 2:19 PM
Originally posted by GWA
Note i didnt say it would be positive, i said it would be more positive than the current "regime".
fair point- sorry bout that :)

dalo
21/11/2002, 2:32 PM
why would we want rico in? (or patsy for that matter). give it to alan matthews

fosterdollar
21/11/2002, 3:41 PM
Originally posted by dalo
why would we want rico in? (or patsy for that matter). give it to alan matthews

fook off you're not avin' 'im

James
21/11/2002, 3:48 PM
and by all accounts he doesnt want it either

lol you'd think we'd take the hint... the number of times we've offered it to him in both PJ Turners and in various Longford pubs is rediculous :)

Shed End John
21/11/2002, 3:57 PM
Originally posted by niamh
We are still unbeaten at home, let's remember that.

And how much longer is that likely to last with Gunther in charge. He can't rely on his crazy amount of luck forever.
I have to agree with GWA, we're banging our heads against a brick wall. Definitely the most immoveable cardboard cut-out I've ever seen.

Murphy Out Now!!!

Shed End John
21/11/2002, 4:00 PM
Originally posted by Éanna

Do you really think so? I think we need a total break from the past ASAP

Éanna, I couldn't agree more. Let's be a bit more outward looking, like the FAI pretend to be.:D

Murphy Out Now!!!

Colm
21/11/2002, 4:03 PM
and by all accounts he doesnt want it either

lol you'd think we'd take the hint... the number of times we've offered it to him in both PJ Turners and in various Longford pubs is rediculous :) Yeah, i think i've asked him at least twice but each time he just shook my hand smiled and changed the subject. I'll get a straight answer out of him one of these days.:)

Why wouldn't we want Rico, dalo?

Shed End John
21/11/2002, 4:13 PM
Originally posted by COLM
Why wouldn't we want Rico?

Because Rico already had his chance with City. He had by far the best team in the land and brought us all the way.......to 2nd place behind a Rovers team we'd have beaten hollow with a half decent manager behind us.

Murphy Out Now!!!

Colm
21/11/2002, 4:24 PM
Originally posted by Shed End John
Because Rico already had his chance with City.
So whats your point, can't he have another chance?!
So, you don't think that with the current squad of players and Rico in charge we'd win the league next year.
IMO, Rico's style of football would suit the likes of Flynny and Georgie etc. perfectly. He is by far the best candidate and nothing you or anyone else says will change my mind on that.

James
21/11/2002, 4:28 PM
exactly and i'd advise all city fans to email tv3 and pass on these wishes to trev/ or rico

sport@tv3.ie

mark it for trev welch or for rico and he'll get the hint eventually

come back rico :)

pete
21/11/2002, 5:14 PM
I dunno if Rico the best option or even if he'd be interested but if the only reason for rejecting him is hasn't won anything then that eliminates a lot of other candidates as well.

The season Rico left (money matters) it could be said there was possibly the best city team ever on the pitch. Johnny C & Skippy up front, Gloria & Woods (or as it Buckley?) on wings with Davie Baryy in the middle controlling the show. City were strong contenders for the treble that seasoin as they were already in the league cup final.

Sure the match day programme sales would shoot up anyway ;)

dalo
22/11/2002, 11:06 AM
the reason why I wouldn't favour rico is because he is old hat. he had his chances at rover and shels and conspired to blow it, at city other factors didn't help but he need to look forward a bit more.

if not alan matthews- paul doolin?

James
22/11/2002, 11:08 AM
paul doolin?

are you fuppin mad
no way in hell i'm letting doolin go near this club

i mean do u think he knows how to deal with players like deccie daly ( who by the way is playing like he was 10 years ago ;) )

dalo
22/11/2002, 11:08 AM
Originally posted by COLM

. He is by far the best candidate and nothing you or anyone else says will change my mind on that.

the word buried - head- sand-ostrich come to mind:D

Colm
22/11/2002, 11:24 AM

the word buried - head- sand-ostrich come to mind:D
Ok Dalo, maybe I should have said best available candidate.:)

Rico is my first choice followed closely by Alan Matthews (but he aint available). As for Doolin, you are joking right?!!

dalo
22/11/2002, 12:38 PM

are you fuppin mad
no way in hell i'm letting doolin go near this club

i mean do u think he knows how to deal with players like deccie daly ( who by the way is playing like he was 10 years ago ;) )

maybe I meant pat dolan:D

pete
22/11/2002, 1:10 PM
What has Alan Matthews ever done? As far as i can tell he mostly known for not answering phone calls ;)

A few months back a few people proposed harry McCue (spelling???) & look where Drogheda are now.

:eek: