7.Rovers.
8. St. Pats
9. Sligo Rovers
10.UCD
11. Bray Wanders
12. Longford Town.

thedoyler
25/12/2006, 10:04 AM
As of this moment what merits Galway United to be placed so high in the table? With their current squad they'd be very lucky to survive.

Superhoops
25/12/2006, 10:58 AM
1. Derry City
2. Drogheda Utd
3. Cork City
4. Bohemians
5. Galway Utd.
6. St. Pats. Ath.
7. Longford Town
8. Shamrock Rovers
9. UCD
10. Sligo Rovers
11. Bray Wanderers

Wot no Shels??? :confused:

EnDai
25/12/2006, 11:42 AM
That was the point, fancies himself as somewhat of a comedian. Or comedienne, not sure which to be honest.

sligoman
25/12/2006, 12:56 PM
As of this moment what merits Galway United to be placed so high in the table? With their current squad they'd be very lucky to survive.Exactly what I was thinking, it's funny how they've lost their best players from last season(which they only managed to finish 3rd with), signed 2 players and people think they'll finish high up the table:D.

GavinZac
25/12/2006, 3:44 PM
That was the point, fancies himself as somewhat of a comedian. Or comedienne, not sure which to be honest.

just a prediction!

Aaron
25/12/2006, 5:08 PM
1. Derry C
2. Drogheda U
3. Bohemians
4. Cork City
5. St. Pat's Ath
6. Sligo
7. Shels;)
8. Shamrock R
9. Galway
10. UCD
12. Bray Wndrs

Dodge
25/12/2006, 7:03 PM
LOve the way everybody puts their club ahead of where everybody else puts them. Idiots.

1. Pats
2. Drogheda
3. Derry
4. Shels
5. Bohs
6. Sligo
7. Rovers
8. Cork
9. UCD
10. Bray
11. Galway
12. Longford

Conor H
25/12/2006, 8:05 PM
Exactly what I was thinking, it's funny how they've lost their best players from last season(which they only managed to finish 3rd with), signed 2 players and people think they'll finish high up the table:D.

Hmm funny how a Sligo and Bray fan were the ones to complain conisdering both of yere squads have lost sevral good players and only taken in one or two.
Sligo would(like us) want to sign a fair few players or they'll definitely be struggling aswell.
Bray were ****e last year and don't seem to have any indictations that they'll be much better this year.I would safely say that last years top 3 in the 1st Divison would have been better than Waterford,Bray and Longford.Considering we've strengthened our squad and neither Bray or Longford have done so i think we'll at least survive.With TC at the helm i think 7th is a realistic position.

Also Sligoman aswell as loosing many players ye've a gaffer with no proven track record bar been sacked at his last club.

pineapple stu
25/12/2006, 8:08 PM
Can I complain so? :)

At the moment, Galway will be doing well to avoid relegation. Considering they didn't do enough on the pitch to get promoted last year, and promoted teams traditionally find it tough to stay up, and then have added Barry Moran (?) and John Lester to their squad - who are not Premier Division players - while releasing a good chunk of their squad, they're in line for a serious struggle unless better players come in. I'm not sure how you consider that Galway have currently strengthened their squad, although I obviously will bow to your superior knowledge of your own players if it comes to it.

I predicted my table on another thread - had Dundalk in it rather than Galway - but it'll probably stay much the same at the moment. From memory, it was -

Derry
Drogheda
Bohs
Cork
Sligo
UCD
Shels
Rovers
Pat's
Galway
Longford
Bray

dublin15bohs
25/12/2006, 8:56 PM
Derry
Drogheda
Cork
Bohemians
Sligo
Pats
Rovers
Shelbourne
UCD
Galway
Longford
Bray

Olander
25/12/2006, 9:06 PM
1.Derry
2.Drogheda
3.Cork City
4.Bohemians
5.Shelbourne
6.Sligo
7.st,Pats
8.Ucd
9.Galway
10.Rovers
11.Bray
12.Longford

happy xmas!

gael353
25/12/2006, 9:28 PM
Overall i think its far too early to say. Ask this ceist a week before the season begins and the replys will be far differant based on future signings/non signings. but as the clubs squads stand id go for
1. Derry
2. Drogheda
3. Bohs
4. Rovers
5. Cork
6. UCD
7. Shels
8. Pats
9. Sligo
10. Galway
11. Bray
12. Longford

Cosmo
25/12/2006, 9:46 PM
LOve the way everybody puts their club ahead of where everybody else puts them. Idiots.

Without trying to be biased i reckon next season is between ourselves and derry.

Though with it being 3 months til kick off does anyone else think bohs could be the dark horses next season?

Will also be interesting to see who shels still have come the first game of the season (as for every team i suppose, but i think the shels situation will have everyones attention)

As for the other team in the top 4 last season? Can see cork finish 5th or 6th next season if theyre lucky and their crowds go back to the bishopstown era (maybe not next seaosn, but defo the following season)

Apart from thet it's all to play for :)

sligoman
25/12/2006, 11:10 PM
I would safely say that last years top 3 in the 1st Divison would have been better than Waterford,Bray and Longford.How do you know this? How many times did you see either of those 3 teams play last season?:confused: It's a massive step up, you really have no idea.
ye've a gaffer with no proven track record bar been sacked at his last club.Sorry what? Tony Cousins is yer manager isn't he?

Track record:

U-21 Manager at Shams,
Assistant manager at Shams,
Assistant manager at Drogheda,
Finished 3rd in the first division with Galway.

That's mighty, ye'll definitely finish in the top 6 alright:rolleyes:.

eamo1
25/12/2006, 11:11 PM
galway utd,doing much with the current squad,lester and o.flynn just cancel out losing cretaro and gethins in my opinion.we need to sign around 5/6 more.we are going full time which will help obviously but our squad is thin at the mo but tony has showed signs that hes a good manager and im confident with 5 decent signings we can stay up and possibly finish midtable,if only 1/2 sign before the start then we will really struggle.
our problem the last time we were in the premier league was a lack of a quality striker,we really need a good double figures goal a season striker.

SligoBrewer
26/12/2006, 1:08 AM
Traditionally promoted teams survive comfortably in their first season back up, (Longford, Bray, Sligo, Waterford), the challenge is to consolidate in later seasons. Longford survived a play-off in their second season, Bray tumbled down the league, as did Waterford who eventually went down, while Sligo started well, but are already slipping down the table. It will be a long summer for them next year.

what table are we slipping down on?
we finished 5th on our 1st season back in the top flight last season..

1st season back last season..
where did we slip,
when did we slip,
:confused: :rolleyes:

Coltron
26/12/2006, 8:16 AM
I believe Derry will be a moderate second to Drogheda who'll win it with game(s) to spare.

Yes, I do support Drogheda.

micls
26/12/2006, 1:52 PM
Bit early before transfer news but as it stands

1) Derry
2) Drogheda( with a different manager i think tey have the squad to win it)
3) Bohs
4)City
5) Pats
6)Shels
7)UCD
8)Rovers
9)Sligo
10) Galway
11) Longford
12)Bray

Terry
26/12/2006, 1:57 PM
1.Drogheda
2.Cork City
3.Derry
4.Bohemians
5.Shelbourne
6.St Pats
7.Rovers
8.Galway
9.Sligo
10.UCD
11.Longford
12.Bray

feo123
26/12/2006, 4:28 PM
1.Sligo Rovers
2.Derry city
3.Drogheda United
4.Bohs
5.Shels
6.Cork city
7.Shams
8.Pats
9.UCD
10.Longford town
11.Galway Utd
12.Bray Wanderers

dfx-
26/12/2006, 8:29 PM
Apologies pineapple and mypost for interrupting your circular argument,

As it stands:

1. Derry

2. Cork
3. Drogheda

4. Pats
5. Shels
6. Rovers
7. Galway

8. UCD
9. Bohs
10.Sligo

11.Bray

12.Longford

Student Mullet
26/12/2006, 8:42 PM
1. Derry
2. Drogheda
3. Bohs
4. Cork
5. Pats
6. Rovers
7. UCD
8. Shams
9. Shels
10.Galway
11.Longford
12.Bray

Sheridan
26/12/2006, 11:33 PM
1: Derry
2: Cork
3: Bohemians
4: Drogheda
5: Shelbourne
6: St. Pat's
7: Longford
8: Galway
9: Sligo
10: Shamrock
11: U.C.D.
12: Bray

Therefore - Champions: Galway - Europe: Cork, Sligo, Shamrock - Relegated: St. Pat's, Longford, UCD

BohsFans
27/12/2006, 12:04 AM
Apologies pineapple and mypost for interrupting your circular argument,

As it stands:

1. Derry

9. Bohs

you can taste the bitterness here!

sniffa
27/12/2006, 12:07 AM
1. Drogheda
2. Derry
3. Bohemians
4. Cork
5. Shels
6. St Pats
7. UCD
8. Rovers
9. Longford
10. Sligo
11. Galway
12. Bray

swano
27/12/2006, 3:26 AM
Pineapple Dublin City would've been nowhere near the bottom this year the way Waterford and Bray played.

Anyway...

Drogs
Derry
Cork
Shels
Pats
Bohs
Rovers
UCD
Sligo
Galway
Bray
Longford

Bit hard to do it now cos I've no idea whats going to happen at Shels and bohs which could severely change things.

The Stars
27/12/2006, 10:24 AM
Derry
Bohemians
Drogheda
Cork
Sligo Rovers
Shamrock Rovers
Shelbourne
St Pats
UCD
Galway
Longford
Bray

osarusan
27/12/2006, 2:48 PM
1: Derry
2: Cork
3: Bohemians
4: Drogheda
5: Shelbourne
6: St. Pat's
7: Longford
8: Galway
9: Sligo
10: Shamrock
11: U.C.D.
12: Bray

Therefore - Champions: Galway - Europe: Cork, Sligo, Shamrock - Relegated: St. Pat's, Longford, UCD

Excellent, laughed my ass off when I read the bottom line.:D

RĂ©iteoir
27/12/2006, 5:59 PM
Lads - please don't descend this thread into the realms of nonsense, mud slinging and downright wrongness.

I'm due out for a few beers in an hour - don't want to have to come back to wade through realms of some of the stuff we've had already debating history in the League (some of it incorrect).

If I do come back to stuff like that - I'll close this thread immediately...

This thread is about where teams WILL finish next season - not where they finished 3 years ago.

Put the yo-yo away tbh...

RĂ©iteoir
27/12/2006, 6:31 PM
Connor will need more than one year to sort out the Farrelly mess. Mid-table will be an achievement.

Have to agree there - if we get 4th and a Setanta Place then that will be an excellent season.

dfx-
27/12/2006, 6:53 PM
you can taste the bitterness here!

Nah, can't see Bohs finishing much higher than they did last season at the moment.

oriel
28/12/2006, 12:25 AM
1 Derry
2 Bohs
3 Drogs
4 Cork
5 Shels
6 Pats
7 Rovers
8 UCD
9 Sligo
10 Galway
11 Longford
12 Bray

Louth4sam
28/12/2006, 11:19 AM
Derry
Drogs
Bohs
Cork
Shels
Sligo
Pats
UCD
Rovers
Bray
Galway
Longford

Tazskool
28/12/2006, 11:23 AM
Derry City
Shelbourne
Drogheda Utd
Shamrock Rovers
Galway Utd.
Cork City
St. Pats. Ath.
Bohemians
Sligo Rovers
Longford Town
UCD
Bray Wanderers

CharlesThompson
28/12/2006, 11:30 AM
Couple of scenarios specifically in relation to Bohs. Exhibit A represents that Sean Conner knew what he was doing in the transfer market before the season starts coupled with actually giving Bohs their first serious pre-season since 2002. Exhibit B however represents that Connor actually has no notion of football management, the transfer market or expectation and simply likes the attention he gets because he speaks often and with little substance to any hack that need to fill column inches in local and/or national rags.

Exhibit A
1 Derry
2 Drogs
3 Cork
4 Bohs
5 Shels
6 Pats
7 Sligo
8 UCD
9 Rovers
10 Galway
11 Longford
12 Bray

Exhibit B
1 Derry
2 Drogs
3 Cork
4 Shels
5 Pats
6 Sligo
7 UCD
8 Rovers
9 Bohs
10 Galway
11 Longford
12 Bray

Obviously I am confident that Derry City will win the league this year and that Drogheda will push them all the way for top spot. Shels having won the league last year seem to have it all slipping away from their grasp and could indeed be embarassed in the Champions League this season, however although I'd like to think that they will finish up in the bottom three or four, I am confident that Oily will convince enough of the thicks that currently play for them to stay and they will have a reasonable season.

I love the confidence of the resident hooped f*lth that Bohs will really struggle again this season. While it's possible that we will, and I have indeed two scanarios, it is just as possible that Bohs will improve imeasurably on the last few seasons we've had under the stewardship of Gareth Farrelly who - let's face it - really hadn't a clue about football management or even worse still, responsibility. At least Connor has nailed his expectations to the mast and his achievements at Sligo were reasonably good. He's already signed Fenn and it looks like O. Heary, Crowe, Mansaram, Singh and Murphy are on their way plus some others. He's gotten rid of some of the underachievers from last season. If he can get a reasonable start to the season and get some of his knew signings to click then we've got a good chance of a top four finishe next season.

steno
28/12/2006, 11:44 AM
Derry City
Drogheda Utd
Cork City
Shelbourne
Bohemians
UCD
Shamrock Rovers
Sligo Rovers
St. Pats. Ath.
Galway Utd.
Bray Wanderers
Longford Town

Pauro 76
28/12/2006, 2:20 PM
It hurts me to make this prediction.

1) Derry City
2) Drogheda Utd
3) Cork City
4) Bohemians
5) St. Pats
6) Shelbourne
7) Shamrock Rovers
8) UCD
9) Bray
10) Longford Town
11) Sligo
12) Galway

SligoBrewer
28/12/2006, 5:54 PM
Sligo were reasonably good. He's already signed Fenn and it looks like O. Heary, Crowe, Mansaram, Singh and Murphy are on their way plus some others.[/B]

Singh isn't gone yet...
Plus to be in the top 4 you need a manager with tactical nous. Sean has none whats so ever. Bohs to finish 5th...

1) Derry City
2) Drogheda Utd
3) Cork City
4) Bohemians
5) St. Pats
6) Shelbourne
7) Shamrock Rovers
8) UCD
9) Bray
10) Longford Town
11) Sligo
12) Galway

We'll finish higher than 11th.. count on it.:)

Sonic
28/12/2006, 6:01 PM

1) Derry City
2) Drogheda Utd
3) Cork City
4) Bohemians
5) St. Pats
6) Shelbourne
7) Shamrock Rovers
8) UCD
9) Bray
10) Longford Town
11) Sligo
12) Galway

The way things are going id be happy with that:(

CharlesThompson
28/12/2006, 7:06 PM
Singh isn't gone yet...

He's already signed Fenn and it looks like O. Heary, Crowe, Mansaram, Singh and Murphy are on their way

Maybe the bit I have bolded here, especially for you, suggests that I understand that Singh is still a Sligo player?

sligoman
28/12/2006, 7:17 PM

10) Longford Town
11) Sligo
12) GalwayIt hurts me to read that you think ye'll finish above us!:D

Conor H
28/12/2006, 10:21 PM

1) Derry City
2) Drogheda Utd
3) Cork City
4) Bohemians
5) St. Pats
6) Shelbourne
7) Shamrock Rovers
8) UCD
9) Bray
10) Longford Town
11) Sligo
12) Galway

GUFC along with every other team will finish above Longford....and you know it.

TheBoss
28/12/2006, 11:06 PM
1. Derry City
2. Drogheda Utd
3. Bohemians
4. Cork City
5. St Pats Ath
6. Shelbourne
7. Shamrock Rovers
8. UCD
9. Sligo Rovers
10. Galway Utd
11. Bray Wanderers
12. Longford Town

harry crumb
29/12/2006, 2:03 AM
1 Drogheda
2 Cork
3 Derry
4 Shels
5 Sligo
6 Pats
7 Bohs
8 UCD
9 Rovers
10 Galway
11 Longford
12 Bray

Think next league will be stonger even still than last year. More full time teams a new renewed ambition around with the the new FAI league.

Drogheda look like they are really starting to come together. Still have young team but with Cahill, Byrne, they are adding league medal experience.

Still think it will be hard for teams to break into the top 3/4. Bohs could if they make a few more signings.

gustavo
29/12/2006, 2:15 AM
Pointless thread really as most teams will have quite different looking squads come kick off.

mypost
29/12/2006, 2:51 AM
Pointless thread really as most teams will have quite different looking squads come kick off.

Sure, they'll have different looking squads after the July transfer window as well, ffs. :rolleyes:

gustavo
29/12/2006, 3:41 PM
Sure, they'll have different looking squads after the July transfer window as well, ffs. :rolleyes:

Not vastly different squads , plus by then half the season will be over :rolleyes: