PDA

View Full Version : Portugal '04 - Can we qualify?

Tellox
16/11/2002, 2:21 AM
'lo all, long time listening first time poster ect ect
Currently, The Portugal '04 Qualifiers Group 10 looks like this

Team Pld Pts
Switzerland 3 7
Russia 2 6
Albania 2 1
Ireland 2 0
Georgia 1 0

Ireland have lost two key matches already against Switzerland and Russia. We now have to depend on Russia to put Switzerland away for us, or hope that they slip up themselves. We also would want to win all of our upcoming 6 matches, and even then we havent secured our place.

Mick McCarthy is gone, and the traitor Roy doesnt seem to want to grow up and play for his country.

So let me ask you, are you still supporting Ireland through the thick and thin, do you think they'll still qualify?

I for one do.

All the players need is some time off international soccer. The team we've seen play in Korea and Japan are well capable of qualifying for the european championships. I'm trying to get myself some tickets for the Russia match at lansdowne road, seeing as if we can win that, we can qualify, dependant of course on if we slip up between now and then

Whats your opinion?

brine2
16/11/2002, 7:07 PM
Mick McCarthy is gone, and the traitor Roy doesnt seem to want to grow up and play for his country.

When did he say he didn't want to play for his country?

insomniac
16/11/2002, 7:28 PM
I'm with you Tellox.

Our next 6 matches are all winable(if that'a a word), except maybe that last match could be a bit tricky: Switzerland away and it will probably be a must win for both teams. Should make for an interesting game.

Once we have a new manager who is willing to deploy our best team we shouldn't have too much trouble (fingers crossed) to get to the end of this campaign in a play-off spot.

But then again we all know about play-offs though.......:(

Tellox
16/11/2002, 8:33 PM
brine, In one of thursdays papers, Roy keane called the entire irish team "A bunch of useless muppets". Is that the attitude of a man that wants to play for his country? If you ask me, he never wanted to play,he's just looking for excuses..

brine2
17/11/2002, 11:44 AM
He was referring to the Ireland team setup as a whole, and if you read the Genesis report, you'll realise he was right.

patsh
17/11/2002, 4:49 PM
Originally posted by Tellox
Roy doesnt seem to want to grow up and play for his country.

Whats your opinion?
My opinion is that you should try and catch yourself on and do some growing up of your own...:rolleyes:

Éanna
18/11/2002, 10:52 AM
Originally posted by oddboy
My opinion is that you should try and catch yourself on and do some growing up of your own...:rolleyes:
I presume that comment is directed at Roy :)

Shano
18/11/2002, 11:21 AM
Tellow; I'm trying to get myself some tickets for the Russia match at lansdowne road, seeing as if we can win that, we can qualify, dependant of course on if we slip up between now and then.

Seeing as we could win that, we could qualify, would you not go otherwise.

Xlex
18/11/2002, 1:08 PM
Hey y'all... Give Tellox a break...

I don't think we can qualify but provided it's not possible... I'd rather play the remaining games without RK and with a new set-up... The younger should get the games and form a team who will be around for the next World-Cup cos RK won't be around... neither should Breen or Ian Harte or Kilbane or Carsley or Connolly...

Éanna
18/11/2002, 5:32 PM
Originally posted by Xlex
I'd rather play the remaining games without RK and with a new set-up...
agreed

patsh
19/11/2002, 12:43 PM
Originally posted by Éanna

I presume that comment is directed at Roy :)
Now, now Eanna, don't let your irrational hatreds cloud your senses....;)

Éanna
19/11/2002, 2:59 PM
Originally posted by oddboy
Now, now Eanna, don't let your irrational hatreds cloud your senses....;)

Glad you´ve seen sense and accepted how right I was all along oddboy :) :eek:

The Money Man
19/11/2002, 3:21 PM
We can definitely finish second in Group 10. Despite Switzerland's win over us and the improving fortunes of their club sides in Europe, they must be considered to be a very mediocre international oufit. After all, they only managed a 1-1 draw away to Albania - hardly inspiring stuff.

Switzerland's last two games of the campaign are away to Russia and home to us. Presuming that we beat Russia at home and Switzerland don't beat Russia at home, Switzerland would have to win at least one of their last two fixtures to finish in the top two. That would have to be considered unlikely.

All of that said, we really shouldn't be comtemplating the possibility of runners-up spot. After all, this is the weakest qualifying group that we have faced since Euro '88. Now we have probably landed ourselves in a playoff situation again and lets face it - our playoff record doesn't inspire confidence.

So who could we get? Well none of the following are currently winning their group - Czech Rep., England, Italy, Denmark, Sweden. So these are all in the frame. But so are Israel, Scotland, Latvia and Belgium. Hope springs eternal!

The conclusion is that all is not lost. We have done our best to shoot ourseves in the foot but haven't inflicted a mortal wound yet.

Éanna
19/11/2002, 3:34 PM
Originally posted by The Money Man
they must be considered to be a very mediocre international oufit.
We're hardly too much better though

Shed End John
19/11/2002, 3:44 PM
The way I see it, there's 6 games left that we must and can win with a certain exiled midfielder in tow. Six wins would give us 18 points and you DON'T see too many teams missing out on a playoff spot at the very least with that points haul. Of course, just ONE more slip up and...........

Murphy Out Now!!!

Éanna
19/11/2002, 3:51 PM
Originally posted by Shed End John
a certain exiled midfielder in tow.
I thought he was injured or something

Shed End John
19/11/2002, 4:25 PM
You know exactly who I mean.;)

Tellox
19/11/2002, 7:12 PM
oddboy, please tell me why I should grow up. Im entitled to an opinion, even if I get it wrong.

back on the subject then, I'm trying to score myself and 3 others tickets to see the green army play russia at lansdowne, It's our most crucial match imho.Im fairly confident a new manager will try out some new things with the lads and bring us back on track. Also, If Glen Crowe can show off his potential to Ireland, and more importantly, our managers-to-be, it might convince them to play a 4-3-3, with Crowe, Morrison and Keane up front. Duff of course, on the wing, since that worked wonders in the WC matches when he was put back there.

patsh
20/11/2002, 9:28 AM
Originally posted by Tellox
oddboy, please tell me why I should grow up. Im entitled to an opinion, even if I get it wrong.
I'm not disputing your opinion, just the endless silly, childish name calling.
You cannot mention a certain name without putting perjorative adjectives in front of it. Move on.

patsh
20/11/2002, 9:30 AM
Originally posted by Éanna
Glad you´ve seen sense and accepted how right I was all along oddboy :) :eek:

You may be right about some things, and you may be right some of the time, but, Eanna, you are never right about all things all of the time. ;)
So my presumed acceptance of your point of view is a little wide of the mark !...:D

Shed End John
21/11/2002, 10:11 AM
All of that said, we really shouldn't be comtemplating the possibility of runners-up spot.
So who could we get? Well none of the following are currently winning their group - Czech Rep., England, Italy, Denmark, Sweden. So these are all in the frame. But so are Israel, Scotland, Latvia and Belgium. Hope springs eternal!

I agree that, against all odds it must be said, we should still be trying to win the group. After all, a certain Mr Keane wouldn't have given up in the face of such a dire situation, so why change that?
If quality shines through, which invariably it does, the likes of Italy, England etc will book automatic spots in Euro 2004. So I say bring on the Scots!:)

Murphy Out Now!!!

pete
21/11/2002, 11:15 AM
Switzerland have already dropped 2 points in Albania & are very unlikely to win in Russia - most probably get beaten so 2md place in the group is very much on for the irish team.

Theres a lot of points to be played for yet.

The Money Man
21/11/2002, 11:40 AM

If quality shines through, which invariably it does, the likes of Italy, England etc will book automatic spots in Euro 2004. So I say bring on the Scots!:)

On the evidence of last night I think everybody would fancy being drawn against the Scots.

I also agree about quality shining through during the period of a campaign but I fail to see how this is relevant to England.

Shed End John
21/11/2002, 11:46 AM

I also agree about quality shining through during the period of a campaign but I fail to see how this is relevant to England.

Well, Ingerlund are in a group where the opposition, to put it kindly, aren't exactly world class. Besides, with some of the luck they've had so far and the willingness of teams to lie down to them because they're England, I reckon they'll grab 1st place and an automatic invitation to the party.

Murphy Out Now!!!

The Money Man
21/11/2002, 12:01 PM

Well, Ingerlund are in a group where the opposition, to put it kindly, aren't exactly world class.

Does Turkey's FIFA ranking of 8th not suggest that they are a reasonably competent outfit. After all, they got to a World Cup semi-final. They haven't dropped a point in the group yet unlike England who couldn't even put Macedonia away.

pete
21/11/2002, 1:58 PM
Does Turkey's FIFA ranking of 8th not suggest that they are a reasonably competent outfit. After all, they got to a World Cup semi-final. They haven't dropped a point in the group yet unlike England who couldn't even put Macedonia away.

Exactely, England considering the resources available to them are very poor. Mr Eriksson is a complete spoofer who somehow has seemed to get away with playing hoofball as bad as the Graham Taylor years.

England have already dropped 2 points which means if Turkey can match the remaining english results against the minnows they just need to match england in their head to head games.

Turkeys World Cup semi final appearance was no fluke as they been improving steadily & I wouldn't even fancy england for a point in Istanbul.

Shed End John
21/11/2002, 2:11 PM

Does Turkey's FIFA ranking of 8th not suggest that they are a reasonably competent outfit.

As you say, it suggests it, but no more. Turkey will have to prove this time that they are not as spineless as past Turkish teams by actually standing up to be counted and getting results when the pressure is on. It is more than possible for England to beat them home AND away which I can see happening.

Murphy Out Now!!!

Schumi
21/11/2002, 2:57 PM
I don't think this is a particularly good English team. Their qualifying group perfromances have been pretty poor. I'd fancy Turkey to top the group.

Shed End John
21/11/2002, 3:13 PM
Originally posted by Schumi
I don't think this is a particularly good English team. Their qualifying group perfromances have been pretty poor. I'd fancy Turkey to top the group.

Maybe, but it's a hell of alot more than a remote possibility that England could sneak top spot. Btw, it doesn't mean that I actually want them to. I'd prefer to see Euro 2004 without them in it at all.

Murphy Out Now!!!

crc
21/11/2002, 3:24 PM
(Switzerland) After all, they only managed a 1-1 draw away to Albania - hardly inspiring stuff.
Did anyone see Albania against England and Germany in the WC2002 qualifiers? They're not a bad side and shouldn't be dismissed, they're not the same team that we beat twice on our way to USA94.

The Money Man
21/11/2002, 3:33 PM
Originally posted by crc

Did anyone see Albania against England and Germany in the WC2002 qualifiers? They're not a bad side and shouldn't be dismissed

The way that we have started the qualifying campaign, nobody can be dismissed. It is true to say that they offered far more than cannon fodder to both England and Germany last time around. But lets face it, both England and Germany were poor in qualifying for the WC. Some of their respective performances against Albania, Greece and Finland were pathetic.

Shed End John
21/11/2002, 3:36 PM

The way that we have started the qualifying campaign, nobody can be dismissed. It

True enough. However, my hope is that with a new manager in place the team will be eager to impress, get back the incentive and will to win that's clearly missing and knock these teams over like we used to and are still capable of doing.

Murphy Out Now!!!

The Money Man
21/11/2002, 3:38 PM

Maybe, but it's a hell of alot more than a remote possibility that England could sneak top spot.

Given that England have already dropped points to Macedonia, they would in all probability have to win in Turkey to top the group. England and English club sides have poor records in Turkey. Its certainly not the kind of place you'd like to go needing a win. We all remember the receptions received by United and Leeds in Turkey in the recent past.

The Money Man
21/11/2002, 3:41 PM

knock these teams over like we used to and are still capable of doing.

Murphy Out Now!!!

Absolutely. There is no doubt that we have the necessary resources available to pick up twelve points in our next four outings against Georgia and Albania. Sure Duffer could clobber them by himself.

Shed End John
21/11/2002, 3:43 PM

England and English club sides have poor records in Turkey. Its certainly not the kind of place you'd like to go needing a win. We all remember the receptions received by United and Leeds in Turkey in the recent past.

That can change though, going solely on their record, who would you have expected to win the Dutch game at Lansdowne last year?
True, the clubs got bad receptions and England will, but, I still wouldn't underestimate their ability to go to Turkey and win.

Murphy Out Now!!!

The Money Man
21/11/2002, 4:02 PM

True, the clubs got bad receptions and England will, but, I still wouldn't underestimate their ability to go to Turkey and win.

Murphy Out Now!!!

I don't know what ability you're referring to. They have a number of good individuals but they have any number of problems. They haven't sorted the pony-tail issue between the sticks. They are very limited down their left side and have very few options on the horizon. They also have injury and form issues in the central midfield.

Shed End John
21/11/2002, 4:10 PM

but they have any number of problems. They haven't sorted the pony-tail issue between the sticks. They are very limited down their left side and have very few options on the horizon. They also have injury and form issues in the central midfield.

True, but, like everyone else they have until March to sort it. Expect to see a different England come next spring. Besides, at this point in time they've got a much better chance of grabbing top spot in their group than we do in ours.

Murphy Out Now!!!

The Money Man
21/11/2002, 4:21 PM

they've got a much better chance of grabbing top spot in their group than we do in ours.

I never suggested that we would win our group. I think we could given the lack of qualiy of the opposition but we've left ourselves a mountain to climb.

Regardless, new England or not in March, I can't see them picking up all three points in Turkey. Therefore I don't believe that they'll clinch top spot.

Shed End John
21/11/2002, 4:31 PM

I never suggested that we would win our group. I think we could given the lack of qualiy of the opposition but we've left ourselves a mountain to climb.
Regardless, new England or not in March, I can't see them picking up all three points in Turkey. Therefore I don't believe that they'll clinch top spot.

True, we have given ourselves a mountain to climb, but, as you've implied you never know.
If Turkey's now legendary capacity for self-destruction, just like Spain, kicks in Ingerlund mightn't have to win in Turkey, a draw might do them. Besides, if Ingerlund could win their home game with Turkey, that would put the pressure back on the Turks.

Murphy Out Now!!!

The Money Man
21/11/2002, 5:26 PM

Turkey's now legendary capacity for self-destruction

Turkey have qualified for Euro 96, Euro 2000 and World Cup 2002 in the last six years. That's not really the record of a team 'legendary' for self-destruction in qualifying campaigns.

The Legend
21/11/2002, 6:21 PM
True, that plaudit is reserved for Scotsmen!

The Money Man
22/11/2002, 6:33 PM
Originally posted by The Legend
True, that plaudit is reserved for Scotsmen!

In the past the Scots were the game's best exponents of self destruction at major finals. Remember Costa Rica! However, having seen them last Wednesday, they don't have to destruct themselves - just about anybody could inflict that on them. In fairness, the Portugeese looked class.