PDA

View Full Version : Plan B?

gael353
22/12/2006, 11:54 PM
Just a question. If, and i say if. If the FAI/IRFU/GOV fail in their bid to build Landsdown road. Have they a plan B? I know they'll be allright for the next year or two in Croker but lets face it their relationship with the GAA isnt as good as the IRFUs. While i can see the IRFU extending their stay in Croker what of the FAI? Any ideas? :ball:

Mr A
23/12/2006, 1:02 AM
Any ideas?

Panic?

GavinZac
23/12/2006, 7:02 AM
why is it a bid? they're building it, 'failing' would be either a delay or building it upside down or something.

then again, it involves the FAI...

p_o_r
23/12/2006, 12:17 PM
Just a question. If, and i say if. If the FAI/IRFU/GOV fail in their bid to build Landsdown road. Have they a plan B? I know they'll be allright for the next year or two in Croker but lets face it their relationship with the GAA isnt as good as the IRFUs. While i can see the IRFU extending their stay in Croker what of the FAI? Any ideas? :ball:

The GAA have amended their rules to say that as long as Lansdowne is being re-developed the restriction on other soccer and rugby will not pertain to Croke Park.
An agreement is in place for 2007, and 2008 will probably be agreed also,
However if by the end of 2008 it looks like Lansdowne will not be build then the GAA could recommend a special congress to debate Croke Park and the amendment to the rule may be removed.
The Croke Park authorities cannot just withdraw the availability of Croke Park without a congress or special congress of the GAA as a whole.

If it is a case that one group (the IRFU) will play in Croke Park and not the other (the FAI) then that situation will be down to a breakdown in negotiations between Croke Park and the FAI.

So it is a possibility that the FAI may have to go to Britain but it would not suit them or the GAA if that were to happen.

If the development of Lansdowne looks like it could stall indefinitely then John O Donoughe or who ever his replacements might be post the election will have to get the finger out fairly shaprish and sort it out.

highlight100
23/12/2006, 1:53 PM
I think Landsdown Rd will eventually be built,but if it is not we may see the Bertie Bowl rear it's head again

theleprechaun
23/12/2006, 2:40 PM
what are all these muppets who are objecting to the new landsdown doing? sure we all have to live near something be it a road, dump, factory etc. they should not be allowed to delay it

gael353
23/12/2006, 3:19 PM
So it is a possibility that the FAI may have to go to Britain but it would not suit them or the GAA if that were to happen.

Do the FAI own or possess any land banks that they could develope themselves? And i mean anywhere in the country :ball:

Dodge
23/12/2006, 3:47 PM
what are all these muppets who are objecting to the new landsdown doing? sure we all have to live near something be it a road, dump, factory etc. they should not be allowed to delay it

Funny thing is all of them bought those houses while Lansdowne was there.

onenilgameover
24/12/2006, 1:19 AM
Plan B is not an option as it hasn't been ratified and will need to be scrapped. Plan C is still an option but the board still need to agree on it. Plan D is the more likely but nobody has actually heard what plan D is...

eirebhoy
24/12/2006, 6:48 AM
Does anyone know how the appeals went last week? Also, isn't there plans to change the rail line so it won't be closing Lansdowne Road every 10 minutes? If that's the case then surely nobody on Lansdowne Road itself could be against this. It seems it's all the Bath Avenue residents. I assume Eoin Ryan is for the new Lansdowne? His house is one of the closest to the stadium.

Cosmo
25/12/2006, 4:00 PM
not quite true. as we saw with the training debacle, the GAA can stick a kids game on the day after an Irish match and declare the stadium unavailable.

Delaney might also grow some balls and tell the GAA that the deal is off while they act the maggot in tallaght.

There was a deliberate raising of the ante with the bogballers munster guy coming out and criticising the FAI and Dervans crude, but effective, response. why should the FAI fund the GAA blocking capital spending on football?

Tbh I'd prefer us playing in anfield or somewhere than give those w@nkers a cent towards the development of their biggoted sport

gael353
25/12/2006, 10:18 PM
Do the FAI own or possess any land banks that they could develope themselves? And i mean anywhere in the country :ball:

Ill ask again lads as im trying to give a big big hint here! ;)

gael353
26/12/2006, 11:00 PM
we know it aint limerick.... :D

who are these masses you speak of in such general terms? :) ive got 50 acres which says otherwise.

p_o_r
28/12/2006, 2:15 PM
Tbh I'd prefer us playing in anfield or somewhere than give those w@nkers a cent towards the development of their biggoted sport

There are other who think the same way.

However it would do the FAI no good if they were to move home games to Britain with a stadium available in Dublin.

Ringy
28/12/2006, 4:28 PM

So you won't be in Croke Park next year supporting Ireland so?

theleprechaun
28/12/2006, 7:31 PM
I totally disagree going to england or them across the water for anyone who saw apres match. it is bad enough we had to do it down through the ages but now we have money. the gaa should be forced by the government to let soccer and rugby play at croker. apart from anything going to england would cost a hell of a lot more than a stroll down to landsdown

Wolfie
28/12/2006, 9:37 PM
their house, their decision. we should just threaten to take our money and walk.

A spirited stand - but where will we walk to if they call our bluff?

The Wales and Slovakia at "Home" games are within four days of each other in less than 3 months.

The feasability of securing an alternative ground for both games so close together would be unrealistic at this stage and would delve the FAI into yet another unwanted crisis.

A wiser course of action would be to sit tight on the Croker 2007 deal and "sound out" alternatives for 2008 now - if they are required in the future.

Wolfie
29/12/2006, 9:10 AM
while the rest of the football world is trying to stop the GAA forcing the government to let them play on our grounds. :rolleyes:

their house, their decision. we should just threaten to take our money and walk.

Fair enough - interpreted the above as a suggested move away from playing at Croker during 2007 - as has been stated by some.

Paranoia reigns!!

citizenerased
29/12/2006, 9:54 AM

yeah, well if the truth be told, the GAA are an amatuer organisation, have managed to develop a magnificant state of the art stadium. Why should they give it over willy nilly to an organisation who have done nothing but sold out the irish public. The only reason that the GAA agreed is that it would be unpatriotic and not in the best interests of the country to see any of our national teams play their home ties abroad. Aside from that it also makes economic sense for them, as croker is used only seasonally.

To refer to GAA as their biggotted support, suggests that you have not much patriotism, or fondness for your national sport which is an integral part of our heritage as a people.

Also the GAA have done more for this country than any other organisation. Any profits yielded, will go back into the grass roots of the game. Can you honestly say that about the FAI, when have they shown even a superficial interest in grass root football in Ireland. They dont even give a crap about their own "Premier Division"

Billsthoughts
29/12/2006, 1:05 PM
"their" premier division?
surely someone as patriotic as yourself would call it "our" premier division?
:D
And it has already been established elsewhere that soccer is our national sport. highest participation in the country.

Student Mullet
29/12/2006, 1:21 PM
To refer to GAA as their biggotted support, suggests that you have not much patriotism, or fondness for your national sport which is an integral part of our heritage as a people.I think you're taking a one eyed view here. The GAA has been less than friendly towards foreign sports and the unionist tradition on this island.

Jerry The Saint
29/12/2006, 1:38 PM
and if spun right embarrass the shíte out of them

A near-empty Croke Park for Ireland soccer matches - not even Shane Warne could spin that into an embarassment for the GAA. :eek:

If anything it would secure the FAI's future in Croke Park as the GAA would never want them to leave! The biggest fear of those who voted against opening up the stadium is that 75,000+ crowds for soccer and rugby will attract attract a huge new audience for those sports (and away from GAA apparently because the youth of Éire can only give their 'Hearts and Minds' to one 'code'). Boycotting plays right into the hands of these people.

Wolfie
29/12/2006, 1:39 PM
There's a trend emerging. The second (albeit partly related) thread to have Biggotry mentioned a few times. Mere cooincidence I'm sure - Danger Here!!!

Dodge
29/12/2006, 1:46 PM
To suggest someone is less patriotic because they don't like Galeic Games is shocking.

Wolfie
29/12/2006, 1:53 PM
The renting out of Croker had nothing to do with Patriotism.

It made sound business sense and a distant second was the potential positive PR it would also generate.

citizenerased
29/12/2006, 2:37 PM
I was annoyed as cosmo was disregarding an organisation whose sole purpose in its creation, was to preserve irish culture, in an era when
another culture and language was forced upon us.

At the end of the day its the FAIs fault that they enevitably had to grovel to the GAA for the use of Croke Park. Why shouldnt the GAA charge a premium price for its use..The FAI stinks of incompetency...Your forgetting that the FAI dont give a crap about the fans, that was evident when they sold the rights to the home matches to sky, less than 8 weeks after 1000s of Irish Fans paid top dollar to follow ireland in Japan and Korea

Wolfie
29/12/2006, 2:46 PM
Why shouldnt the GAA charge a premium price for its use..

The GAA are certainly entitled to charge a FAIR price. Business is business etc.

FAI incompetence could fill a thread all of its own. Don't think anyone would suggest they are anything but incompetent.

galwayhoop
03/01/2007, 10:45 AM
will you ever feck off to hoganstand.com with that diddlie eye crap

This attempt at land grabbing and abusing the legal process is a disgrace to the name of Thomas Davis the patriot. If the begaviour of TD is your version of 'heritage as a people' you can keep it.

is this the shamrock rovers section or the ireland section??????

can we stay on the point here - not everything to do with football in this country revolves around the SDFC situation in Tallaght

p_o_r
03/01/2007, 4:32 PM
it would give the Grab All's less money to attempt to block govt funding for football!

and if spun right embarrass the shíte out of them.

Ha - the FAI spin something right or win a PR battle - not in my lifetime.

Back to the topic of a Plan B

As I said before I believe Croke Park will be available as long as the redevelopment of Lansdowne is going to schedule, or at least not indefinitely stalled.

If it is stalled indefinitely then a viable alternative will have to be produced by the Gov, IRFU and FAI to satisfy the GAA that they will not become full time lodgers at Croke Park, and I don’t think the IRFU and FAI want to become permanent lodgers in Croke Park.

However I don’t think there is a short term problem with the accommodation of the FAI at Croke Park.
The 2007 schedule is set, the 2008 one will probably be agreed in the next 6 months and seeing as the first half of 2008 will be all friendlies then it may not be a big problem. By that time progress on Lansdowne should be well advanced

As stated before if the FAI are not happy with Croke Park they will go to Britain and loose both the PR battle and many fans on the way.

galwayhoop
04/01/2007, 10:23 AM
Read the thread you goon, .

no need for name calling.

the thread is asking if their is a plan b in the result of the relationship between the FAI and GAA deteriorating (sp?) further and the FAI not been given the option of CP for home games.

i personally don't see why SRFC and their situtation should be used by either side in this situation - it is a totally different argument.

my own view is that the FAI have no divine right to use CP and similarly the GAA have no divine right for the Tallagh stadium. the fact that the FAI are allowed to use CP is stand alone and independent of the Tallaght stadium - end of story.

there are many people throughout this island who actively participate in and support both codes and i include myself in this.

the GAA have both their good and bad points but the majority of the ills come from the administrative powers and not supporters and players. the exact same can be said of the FAI. so to say that all and sundry involved in the GAA are bigoted would mean the all involved in soccer are incompetent morons. neither, thankfully, is true.

citizenerased
04/01/2007, 5:59 PM
excellent point

gspain
05/01/2007, 8:19 AM
no need for name calling.

the thread is asking if their is a plan b in the result of the relationship between the FAI and GAA deteriorating (sp?) further and the FAI not been given the option of CP for home games.

i personally don't see why SRFC and their situtation should be used by either side in this situation - it is a totally different argument.

my own view is that the FAI have no divine right to use CP and similarly the GAA have no divine right for the Tallagh stadium. the fact that the FAI are allowed to use CP is stand alone and independent of the Tallaght stadium - end of story.

there are many people throughout this island who actively participate in and support both codes and i include myself in this.

the GAA have both their good and bad points but the majority of the ills come from the administrative powers and not supporters and players. the exact same can be said of the FAI. so to say that all and sundry involved in the GAA are bigoted would mean the all involved in soccer are incompetent morons. neither, thankfully, is true.

There is a huge difference between bigotry and incompetence. I don't think anybody is claiming everybody in the GAA is a bigot. That isn't true and does a great disservice to the likes of Sean Kelly, Tommy Kenoy et al who faced down the bigots for the good of the GAA they clearly love. However there is clearly still a huge issue with bigotry among a minority of GAA people. Many of these are/were in very prominent and public positions.

Some elements in the GAA are clearly trying to engineer a row with the FAI.
They still see the garrison/partitionist/foreign/protestant game as being the enemy. No FAI official had made a single comment on Croke Park when the media stories started to circulate about the FAI "acting like they owned the place" The only evidence belatedly put forward was a photo facilitated by the GAA of John Toshack and Bobby Robson in Croke Park. If the GAA didn't facilitate it then maybe Bobby might save us all €50 in March and tell us how he broke in. Incidently a similiar photo was taken with Eddie O'Sullivan.

By and large it is not a problem with GAA players. I can think of only one incident where a player from the Republic has made some public comments that could be viewed as bigoted.