PDA

View Full Version : Was it worth it?

niamh
07/07/2001, 5:58 PM
Thirty pounds to see the Celts? BTW a crowd of 6,000. Surely there was more? Or is it City's inability to count again?

niamh
07/07/2001, 7:40 PM
Should i take the silence as a no?

joe
07/07/2001, 7:51 PM
wasn't there, so i can't say!

jbrazil
07/07/2001, 8:03 PM
definately 7000 at least at d match.

fonzi
07/07/2001, 10:15 PM
MORE "away" support than "home support"
terrable,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

jbrazil
07/07/2001, 10:35 PM
city jerseys were outnumbered by about 10-1! a lot of those celtic jerseys look quite new as well. hmm......

niamh
07/07/2001, 11:19 PM
[B]city jerseys were outnumbered by about 10-1!

Well we knew that would be the case...but was it worth thirty quid? (or 25) or was everyone robbed. I must said I think that City did well if you look at the scoreline...gave the Celts a fright. But scorelines can hide the true picture. Was the game any good?

Neil
08/07/2001, 8:51 AM
it was worth going down for the last 15 minutes (for free), having a look around, buying a programme, and spending thirty quid on drink that night!

Jim Smith
08/07/2001, 3:01 PM
On reflection, yes - just.

I took my ten year old as I wanted him to experience a big crowd and a bit of a build up. The organisation outside of the ground was excellent - next season when we have our big games they should consider closing off the road. I thought that there should have been more pre-match goings on but the majority of the crowd were happy to watch the away team warming up. The programme was good, if a bit Celticy, and I thought it would have been more than £2.50.

As for the match, I got the feeling that Celtic weren't really trying that much until City scored what was a rather cheeky goal. Despite being put under much greater pressure after the goal - I think the Celtic players realised that City weren't there to worship them and their pride was hurt - the Irish team didn't collapse. City heads didn't go down when Burchill (?) put the visitors ahead early in the second half and got back into it with a dodgy (well it looked dodgy where I was) penalty - why can't we get them in important matches.

Overall, There were a number of very positve performances from a City point of view. The defence was soild. In particular Carey and Hoggie seemed to rise to the occasion with Carey in particular frustrating Bobby Petta in the first half. When Petta switched wings he then got very little change out of Hoggie. Deccie seemed to frustrate Chris Sutton who whines in the style of Trevor Molloy. O'Grady played very well and should improve the mid-field and Welsh looks promising. I hope that he gets a chance to develop a partnership with either Mulligan or Morely.

It was a strange crowd, especailly in the shed where there seemed to be a bit of an identity crisis. Most of them sat there in awe of their heroes. My boy couldn't really get his head around why Cork people would be supporting a team palying against a team from Cork "- the're some eejits dad." The stunned silence from most of them after the opener was priceless - I couldn't help myself from laughing.

One thing that I didn't like was the Echo the following day. Full of Celtic this and Celtic that and what a great chance to pay your respects and wasn't it wonderful to be able to cheer every goal that was scored - what rubbish.

One good thing is that any City fan must have left feeling a bit more hopeful about the upcomming season. We have some great young players - lets hope they get given a chance.

niamh
08/07/2001, 4:35 PM
That was the sort of stuff I was looking for.
Now I wish I was there for the stunned silence when most Cork people were trying to decide who they'd be supporting...

pete
09/07/2001, 9:21 AM
Only saw the clips on the news but when City scored the first goal about 1/2 the st annes end jumped & cheered & most of them wearing $eltic jerseys. Would I be correct in assuming maybe many City regulars expressed their $eltic pride for the day?

Neil
09/07/2001, 9:31 AM
Originally posted by rebel
Would I be correct in assuming maybe many City regulars expressed their $eltic pride for the day?
Yep, it seems there's a fair few suffering from 'AndyGoram'itis'.

("Two Andy Goram's, There's only Two Andy Goram's...")