PDA

View Full Version : Match Day

atfconline
13/11/2002, 7:19 PM
With Club Chairman Paddy McCaul, suggesting a possible move to Thursday night football, what day would you like to see Athlone play their home games?

Macy
14/11/2002, 9:36 AM
I know scumlone is a bit bigger (and sh!tter ;) ) than Longford, but surely it has the same issues around locals living/ working/ studying in the smoke/ galway......

Saturday nights would give more of them a chance to get down for the match, plus give more away fans the chance to make it, which should both increase attendances........

Make Saturday night the night for football in the midlands.....

One things is for sure, Thursday night footy is b0llox, and should be avoided at all costs.....

Ash
14/11/2002, 11:26 AM
Tried the Saturday night thing a few years ago but
embarrassingly for the Club they found out that people
would rather go to Saturday evening Mass than head to
Mels!!!!!

Also, as much as I hate to admit it, a lot form Athlone travel
to the Flansiro on Saturdays to see Premier division football ...
and in the hope they see Scumford get hammered ;)

Thursday is mentioned due to the college, factories etc, students
and some workers head home on Fridays so they are
potential for revenue.
Although Thursday is serious beer night in De Town IT so I reckon
they wouldnt get many more!

I suggest Sunday at 2pm.
Mass would be over and the chicken and roast spuds eaten
A sad fact but Athlone has more Sky Sports followers that Athlone
Town followers so 2 kick off would finish 3.45, in time for everyone
to hit the pub to see Andy Gray play a bit of Subutteo before the
Premiership game starts!

Schumi
14/11/2002, 12:14 PM
After careful consideration (especially as, seeing how things are going, we're likely to be playing you next season) I've gone for Sunday afternoon as it will be ewasy to get down for and not require staying the night in Westmeath.

JC_GUFC
15/11/2002, 6:11 PM
You can actually avoid a night in De Town after a game by taking the last bus at 10 o'clock back to Dublin - in fact if you're clever about it you can get the bus for free if you sneak on while the driver is taking a **** and keep your head down at the back! :)

CU
JC

Éanna
15/11/2002, 6:16 PM
Originally posted by JC_GUFC
in fact if you're clever about it you can get the bus for free if you sneak on while the driver is taking a **** and keep your head down at the back! :)
still a student by nature JC :p :)

renegAde
12/12/2002, 4:09 PM
Friday nights are still the best, in my opinion. The reason we aren't getting crowds is because we're losing games. Changing the days around won't make a bit of difference if our defence continues giving out goals like its Christmas, all year round.

If we have a winning team the crowds will show up. If we don't, they won't. It's really that simple.

Peace,
Ade