PDA

View Full Version : Haughey accepted cash for favours - Report

Ringo
19/12/2006, 1:58 PM
The Moriarty Tribunal has concluded that the late Charles Haughey accepted cash in return for favours during his political career.

http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/?jp=CWIDSNSNQLID

all that money spent and this is the best report they could come up with

Dodge
19/12/2006, 2:08 PM
STOP PRESS!!!!!!!!!!

Apparently the world is not flat. More to come...

pete
19/12/2006, 2:08 PM
...all that money spent and this is the best report they could come up with

It only took 10 years too.

Of course a tribunal is not a Court so even if he was still alive would have to be investigated separately to be admitted as evidence in a Court.

The politicians have really done a nice job on us. Setup tribunal that takes years to complete. Politicians either dead or too old at that stage to prosecute in a Court.

Will the donators/bribers be prosecured now?

Ringo
19/12/2006, 2:33 PM
Tribunal reminds me old saying that saying.

"A Committee is a cul-de-sac into which ideas are led & then quietly strangled":)

wws
19/12/2006, 2:37 PM
LOL

NICE ONE SHAYMUS!

and there was me thinking he was a clean upstanding citizen!

BohsPartisan
19/12/2006, 3:15 PM
The politicians have really done a nice job on us. Setup tribunal that takes years to complete. Politicians either dead or too old at that stage to prosecute in a Court.

Not to mention a big pay day for the legal profession.

pete
19/12/2006, 4:21 PM
Not to mention a big pay day for the legal profession.

At least they not on the minimum wage :D

Macy
19/12/2006, 7:25 PM
It is worth considering that the £9.1million equates to around €45million in todays terms, and most of it was recieved and stolen when he was shutting hospital beds and preaching to the nation to tighten their belts.

No wonder Bertie saw nothing wrong with the payments he recieved, compared to his mentor it really was communion money. At least he wasn't caught writing blank cheques for CJH.

Saint Tom
19/12/2006, 8:34 PM
bertie's eulogy would make you cringe. "tighten your belts" my c@ck

strangeirish
20/12/2006, 12:44 AM
Here is the actual report. (http://www.moriarty-tribunal.ie/images/sitecontent_26.pdf) All 704 pages.

At a cost of approx 25 million Euros, thats 35,511.3636 Euros per page. There are sixteen blank pages, for a tidy 568,181.818 yo yo's. That's a lot of tay and hang sangwiches :D

BobbySands
20/12/2006, 1:36 AM
Wonder why there's been no tribunal into the Arms Trial.

carrickharp
20/12/2006, 8:03 AM
Anyone watch Primetime last night? Yer man Conor Lenahan would make your blood boil with his guff:mad:

BohsPartisan
20/12/2006, 8:11 AM
Anyone watch Primetime last night? Yer man Brian Lenahan would make your blood boil with his guff:mad:

Yet he'll still top the Poll in Dublin West.

Correction: Though you were talking about Brian JR.

pete
20/12/2006, 9:44 AM
Why is it called "cash for favours". Why isn't it called bribes & fraud?

Superhoops
21/12/2006, 6:52 AM
Some great philosopy emerging in the last few days:

Haughey's daughter, Eimear Mulhearn said she believed her father was entitled to the cash because he worked "very hard" on behalf of the country.

Bertie said he regrets signing blank cheques that were used by Haughey to misuse public funds, but claimed that signing blank cheques was something "everybody did".

Dermot Desmond said "He backed my ideas and those of my colleagues, and shared the same vision of a new prosperous Ireland. We had respect for each other and our ideas expanded. I was happy to help out Mr Haughey especially when he was out of office and needed help. By believing in me and by backing my ideas Charlie Haughey did me the greatest service of all," he said. He maintained "no favours were sought and none were received".

pete
21/12/2006, 10:24 AM
By believing in me and by backing my ideas Charlie Haughey did me the greatest service of all," he said. He maintained "no favours were sought and none were received".

I remember when he was interviewed for the RTE Haughey programme when he said he paid Charlie money, Charlie helped him with planning for the IFSC but of course no "favours" given.

Liers & cheats almost never think they are lying or cheating.

:rolleyes: