PDA

View Full Version : Dundalk receive boost

BrayUnknowns
19/12/2006, 11:32 AM
Dundalk’s morale received a timely boost on Monday night when Philip Hughes, the top scorer in the eircom League in 2006, agreed a new deal which will keep him at Oriel Park for next season. More (http://www.eleven-a-side.com/eircomleague/irish_soccer_detail.asp?newsid=25863)

Great news for Dundalk, but surely it was time for hughes to better his career, would have got his game at a number of Premier clubs, better wages etc.... strange move by him IMO

Raheny Red
19/12/2006, 11:54 AM
Very surprised by that :eek: - fair play Dundalk

Dodge
19/12/2006, 11:55 AM
Hughes has had spells with 2 premier division clubs and failed to shine at either (despite pats fans high hopes for him)

Too fat for the premier IMO

harry crumb
19/12/2006, 11:57 AM
Sprinted past your defenders easily enough in the cup match early on this season.:p

Think he went off injured though.

bluemovie
19/12/2006, 11:58 AM
I wonder could he be signing a contract just to ensure that the likes of Bohs would have to pay Dundalk a transfer fee? I'm not so sure he'd be as impressive in the Premier Division anyway - it's a big step up.

dcfcsteve
19/12/2006, 12:13 PM
Great news for Dundalk, but surely it was time for hughes to better his career, would have got his game at a number of Premier clubs, better wages etc.... strange move by him IMO

Strange move ?!? They're all sh!t scared that Maxi McAllister will be round their house with a can of petrol and an itchy lighter-finger if they don't renew... ! :eek:

Terry
19/12/2006, 12:40 PM
Sprinted past your defenders easily enough in the cup match early on this season.:p

Think he went off injured though.

he was out of breathe and couldnt continue !!!:D

holidaysong
19/12/2006, 1:48 PM
The word is loyalty. Philly is even more of a legend now! Fair play to him and to John Gill for keeping in contact with him every day and making sure this happened.

Peadar
19/12/2006, 1:53 PM
He's just afraid of having a medical before he could join another club. :D

Philly
19/12/2006, 2:03 PM
Sticking with Dundalk, here is a story that is on eleven-a-side.com:

Government minister joins Dundalk protest

December 19, 2006

Minister for Foreign Affairs Dermot Ahern TD has joined the clamour of criticism of the FAI’s decision to exclude Dundalk from the new FAI eircom League of Ireland Premier Division in 2007.

The Lilywhites were omitted after Independent Assessment Group (IAG) recommendations were ratified by the Association last week.

The decision provoked outrage from Dundalk supporters who had expected to land a place in the top division following victory in the end-of-season play-off against Waterford United.

Ahern, a renowned Dundalk supporter, told The Argus: "I find it incredible that a team which has performed to such a high standard and attracted such growing support should be denied it’s rightful place - promotion to the Premier League.

“I have, among thousands of other fans from Dundalk, followed the team all season. They have shown great skill and courage in battling to the promotion places and defeated a Premiership side in the play-off. Yet they have been denied promotion based on what I can only describe as a somewhat crude set of statistical analysis that flies in the face of natural justice.

"Why have the play-off’s in the first place? Why put the team and fans to such huge expense? Clearly it wasn’t in the script that Dundalk succeed ... I call on the FAI to reconsider this decision. And even at this stage to extend the number of teams in the Premier League to include Dundalk”
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Looking for votes from Maxi and the likes perhaps?

Dodge
19/12/2006, 2:14 PM
In fairness to him he's always been a dundalk fan and does actually go to games (when he can obviously)

Peadar
19/12/2006, 3:41 PM
...and does actually go to games (when he can obviously)

Manages to get to the odd Champions League Final too... ;)

JW.
19/12/2006, 3:48 PM
Hughes has had spells with 2 premier division clubs and failed to shine at either (despite pats fans high hopes for him)

Too fat for the premier IMO
This was my concern in relation to us potentially signing him.
A day later we swooped for John Lester :)

fingers
19/12/2006, 4:44 PM
Hughesie struggled with the idea of leaving but was helped to make his decision as Bohs draged on discussions Giller was in touch on a near daily basis and the fact that he and the fans have a brill rapour the decision came easy.

Just for the doubters, Phily's scoring record
1. Record scorer with Killkenny 16 in 20 games
2. Record scorer with Kildare 16 for the season (Might have been bettered)
3 Record scorer with Dundalk 22 for the season

And double figures for teams he started and finished a season with as a centre foward. He was with St Pats as a 19 year old and left when he was 20 and played approx. 24 games mostly on the wing.

But as they say doctors differ and patients die.

BohsFans
19/12/2006, 6:56 PM
In fairness to him he's always been a dundalk fan and does actually go to games (when he can obviously)

He's actually a Bohs fan, from in and around Cabra,

BohsFans
19/12/2006, 6:57 PM
The word is loyalty.

Not really, he just didn't want to give up his job in Irish rail for going full time with us.

Dodge
19/12/2006, 7:17 PM

Dermot Ahern? He is in his ********

eamoss
19/12/2006, 7:58 PM
Not really, he just didn't want to give up his job in Irish rail for going full time with us.
Ah now it make sence when he got the POTM award that it was taken in a train station.

Dermot Ahern? He is in his ********

He is talking about Philip Hughes

pineapple stu
19/12/2006, 8:29 PM
By all accounts, the First Division suits Batman. Was at UCD for a spell in '04; decent player and we would have been kept on but his attitude wasn't right for the Premier basically. Him staying at Dundalk is nothing to do with loyalty, just convenience.

hoopy
20/12/2006, 6:10 AM

Blackhorse Ave isn't Cabra whatever certain journos print. Ditto for Owen Heary and Jason McGuinness and your ex asst manager

NY Hoop
20/12/2006, 10:40 AM
Lack of ambition.

KOH

mcgonigle
20/12/2006, 11:05 AM
Lack of ambition.

KOH

Well he's playing with arguably the strongest side in the first division, with a decent chance of promotion, if he had a lack of ambition he would go back to Killkenny.

Id say more loyalty and seeing the potential of the team

Louth4sam
20/12/2006, 11:11 AM
Well he's playing with arguably the strongest side in the first division, with a decent chance of promotion, if he had a lack of ambition he would go back to Killkenny.

Id say more loyalty and seeing the potential of the team

Ignore NYHOOP he hates Dundalk so he runs down everything to do with our club. Hughes is enjoying playing football for Dundalk and the fans love him. Why would he want to leave? I wouldnt leave a job that i enjoyed

NY Hoop
20/12/2006, 11:24 AM
Ignore NYHOOP he hates Dundalk so he runs down everything to do with our club. Hughes is enjoying playing football for Dundalk and the fans love him. Why would he want to leave? I wouldnt leave a job that i enjoyed

Dont flatter yourself. I dont waste energy on hating anything. Its the fact that he had suitors in the premier and stayed in the graveyard that says it all. Granted Dundalk have to be favourites to come up but still smacks of a lack of ambition IMO.

No loyalty in football save for a very small percentage of players.

KOH

mcgonigle
20/12/2006, 12:04 PM
Wasnt having a go at NYHOOP, was just giving my opinion on why Hughes stayed, makes no odds who he supports in this case.

Anyway I do think its loyalty, you do see it alot in football today, Henry, Sidwell, Gerard etc.

oriel
20/12/2006, 12:44 PM
The acutal reason he turned down bohs was, he didnt fancy being 3rd or 4th choice striker, this dragged on the talks, then when his boss knocked back the idea of full time training, it was the obvious move, not lack of ambition move to remain with dundalk.

Another season in the first will do him no harm, its always easier to go up a divsion with the club you play with that to join a higher placed one.

OneRedArmy
20/12/2006, 1:05 PM
The acutal reason he turned down bohs was, he didnt fancy being 3rd or 4th choice striker, this dragged on the talks, then when his boss knocked back the idea of full time training, it was the obvious move, not lack of ambition move to remain with dundalk.

Another season in the first will do him no harm, its always easier to go up a divsion with the club you play with that to join a higher placed one.In fairness, turning down full-time football could be construed as showing a lack of ambition.

Probably very sensible though given most clubs inability to maintain a fulltime set up.

BohsFans
20/12/2006, 3:32 PM
Blackhorse Ave isn't Cabra whatever certain journos print. Ditto for Owen Heary and Jason McGuinness and your ex asst manager

I never said it was.....learn to read the post.

Joe Strummer
20/12/2006, 4:23 PM
In Fairness you cant blame him sticking with the day job and the part-time football, he would probably be earning more form the two that what Bohs were offering him.

I remember years ago Sunderland were after Mick Neville just after he went to Shels, he also worked for Irish Rail at the time. A friend of mine worked in the wages department for Irish rail and said Neville was on good money, and Mick came out in the press saying that he would earn more working and playing part- time football than going over to Sunderland.

pineapple stu
21/12/2006, 4:41 PM
Wasnt having a go at NYHOOP, was just giving my opinion on why Hughes stayed, makes no odds who he supports in this case.

Anyway I do think its loyalty, you do see it alot in football today, Henry, Sidwell, Gerard etc.
It's not loyalty. He's been promoted before and left the club/been let go (bit of both). He's been with half the First Division clubs at this stage. He's just happy where he is. Lack of ambition if you want, life-balance or some such if you want.

Magicme
21/12/2006, 6:33 PM
I love it...gives me another season of extra reasons to hate Dundalk.

It certainly isnt loyalty, he wouldnt know the meaning of the word.

mcgonigle
21/12/2006, 8:06 PM
I love it...gives me another season of extra reasons to hate Dundalk.

It certainly isnt loyalty, he wouldnt know the meaning of the word.

Oh you'll have plenty more when we take maximum points off you's as well :D

Mr A
21/12/2006, 10:06 PM
Oh you'll have plenty more when we take maximum points off you's as well

Hmm, and what was the score the last time the teams met?

mcgonigle
22/12/2006, 10:05 AM
Hmm, and what was the score the last time the teams met?

1-0 Monaghan, well done GH, but I get what your saying we should be beating a side like Monaghan more than 3/4 times a season, wont get into what happened last game of the season!!