PDA

View Full Version : Murphy speaks about Mulligan

pete
13/11/2002, 2:13 PM
from eleven-a-side.com

Mulligan released

Striker James Mulligan has been released by Cork City on a free transfer – but, with the deadline day having passed two weeks ago, he will be jobless until the end of the current season.

Since the arrival of strikers John O’Flynn and George O’Callaghan from England during the close-season, the former Sligo Rovers and Stoke City man has found himself frozen out of the Cork set-up, and the recent return to form Colin Patrick O’Brien – scorer of a goal in each of his last two appearances – has been to his detriment.

Mulligan has enjoyed little success on Leeside since joining from Finn Harps two and a half years ago, and has appeared for just 15 minutes in the past six weeks, including ten minutes as a substitute in the FAI Cup semi-final replay against Derry City a month ago.

Having been given so few chances to impress, the 28-year-old can consider himself unfortunate to have been let go.

His only goal of the season came at an opportune time, a winner to complete a memorable comeback for City against Shamrock Rovers back in September.

Cork’s under-fire boss Liam Murphy said: “He picked up an injury at the end of last season and with O’Flynn and O’Callaghan coming in and doing well, there wasn’t much future for him here. At this stage in his career, James has to be playing matches.”

The decision means that City are relatively short of cover for the striking positions.

O’Flynn, who began the season in blistering form but has scored just twice in the last eleven matches, remains first-choice along with O’Callaghan, with O’Brien offering an alternative from the bench.

Otherwise they are light in the area, with former Wrexham man Dave Warren – better known as a midfielder – offering an alternative.

------------------------------------------------------

What a load of bs! Hmmm i wonder wehy there wasn't a future for him?

:rolleyes:

Neil
13/11/2002, 2:24 PM
Most people think there's "not much future" for you here either, Liam....

OUT

dalo
13/11/2002, 2:36 PM
that has to be the daftest thing I ever heard. since when don't we need a striker? shocking stuff:mad:

you have to feel sorry for jimmy. best of luck to him. bad form by the club- football after all is his living:confused:

niamh
13/11/2002, 3:36 PM
What a load of crap. Even smaller clubs have more cover. Morley wasn't released when he wasn't getting his game.

foureyes
13/11/2002, 3:40 PM
I'm not sure about him being unemployed. I thought clubs could sign players who were without clubs even when the transfer window is closed?

I can't think of an example just now but Im pretty sure its possible.

Shocking decision of course, goes almost without saying these days. I bet he'll knock a few in against us for whichever club signs him - and i'm sure they'll be glad they did.

Éanna
13/11/2002, 6:48 PM
Originally posted by Neil

OUT
murphy you idiot. get out and stop ruining our club. you´re a disgrace to management and a waste of space OUT

Schumi
14/11/2002, 10:50 AM
Originally posted by foureyes
I'm not sure about him being unemployed. I thought clubs could sign players who were without clubs even when the transfer window is closed?

I can't think of an example just now but Im pretty sure its possible.
I think you're right about that. It's only transfers that are restricted AFAIK (i.e. from one club to another). It's surely against EU law to prevent someone from taking up work for most of the year.

Given that Doolin was looking to bring in Sean Francis when Longford got him, I wonder will he be interested in him (even till the end of the season).

Shed End John
14/11/2002, 4:25 PM
Originally posted by Neil

OUT

Exactly. The f***in idiot is talking the biggest load of vomit-inducing s***e that I've ever heard from anyone, Mick McCarthy included.

Murphy Out Now!!!